• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FeUQ4SH.jpg

wedward

Be careful what you wish for, it'd suuuure be embarrassing to watch yet another PL team lap Arsenal to a CL title :$

What would be embarrassing about a team that has spent 1 billion dollars on their squad winning a CL?

Arsenal have not done well enough in Europe. This is accepted by all Arsenal fans.

£130m or so I think.

Probably be £150m+ by the end of the week.

It's crazy that I still don't expect us to make top 4 and I'm not even sure I could blame the Genius if we don't.

I just don't know anymore. What is life. Why are we here. Gaal help.

I think a change in formation will bring better results as players are more comfortable in that system. Otherwise it will take a few more games for the team to start doing well. I expect a top 4 finish either way. BELIEVE.

ShogunX

Lovren at fault for the second and third goals. Probably could have done better for the first as well. Simple as that

Bit off this. The first goal he did the only thing he could of and headed the ball out of Silva's control, Moreno then for some reason thought he had all the time in the world. It's Moreno's mistake.

For the second both he and Moreno pushed out (just like they have been coached to do elsewhere) but sadly for us Skrtel and Johnson still love defending deep leading to a massive fucking gap in behind. Communication error that you would hope will be sorted in training.

For the third...he's pushed up too high and been done by raw pace. Poor positioning from both him and Mignolet.

Luckily for us our season wont be defined by an away game at the Etihad. Relax.

3Sixty

Bit off this. The first goal he did the only thing he could of and headed the ball out of Silva's control, Moreno then for some reason thought he had all the time in the world. It's Moreno's mistake.

For the second both he and Moreno pushed out (just like they have been coached to do elsewhere) but sadly for us Skrtel and Johnson still love defending deep leading to a massive fucking gap in behind. Communication error that you would hope will be sorted in training.

For the third...he's pushed up too high and been done by raw pace. Poor positioning from both him and Mignolet.

Space shouldn't have been there for Silva on the first goal, Lovren decided to triple mark Dzeko instead.

sohois

Hey, I was fairly positive on the game overall.

I think my argument for the first goal was very much hindsight bias - knowing now that Moreno made a mistake, of course it's obvious that Lovren should have headed it elsewhere, but Lovren wouldn't have known at the time.

As for the second - the big argument behind signing Lovren was that he is a defensive organizer, it's his job to make sure the other players are in line. Not to mention he was caught out by a backheel. If he's not organizing, then he's just an ok CB, who, for example, gets easily beaten for pace on a goal.

Meier

Have to say, the di Maria fee is pretty shocking. Not that I don't think he's an amazing player, but coming into June/July, I figured he'd go for £40-45m at most. For him to go for another ~£20m over that is incredible. Madrid really have made an absolute boatload when selling players in recent years.

pulga

Banned
Have to say, the di Maria fee is pretty shocking. Not that I don't think he's an amazing player, but coming into June/July, I figured he'd go for £40-45m at most. For him to go for another ~£20m over that is incredible. Madrid really have made an absolute boatload when selling players in recent years.

Someone needs to update the net spend list. I don't fucking know how Florentino's done it, but the impact of signing our four most expensive players ever (plus fucking Illaramendi) has been negligible! Just..how?!

Draconian

I think a lot of is because United is pretty desperate right now.

phaze

How much did Sanchez cost, 30/35 mln ?

Sanchez 34 games - 19 goals and 10 assists.

Di Maria 34 games - 4 goals and 17 assists.

(all La Liga)

Yes Gazidis !

Stats don't lie.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

We can afford it, don't mind. Wonder if 60m includes addons or not. Feel like everybody have gone for a premium unless they had a crap release clause to begin with this summer.

Still need to sign soo many more players to be anywhere close to a top 4 side.

ShogunX

Hey, I was fairly positive on the game overall.

I think my argument for the first goal was very much hindsight bias - knowing now that Moreno made a mistake, of course it's obvious that Lovren should have headed it elsewhere, but Lovren wouldn't have known at the time.

As for the second - the big argument behind signing Lovren was that he is a defensive organizer, it's his job to make sure the other players are in line. Not to mention he was caught out by a backheel. If he's not organizing, then he's just an ok CB, who, for example, gets easily beaten for pace on a goal.

It's our second game of the season. Players cant just come in and automatically organise as it's stuff that Skrtel has been doing for years. Honestly think Skrtel gets the nod a lot of times because he offers a decent threat at the other end, defensively he can look like a rock at times but he also defends too deep and backs off from players who run at him.

It's going to take a bit of time for the back four to get in shape and sadly for us we come up against the best attacking side in the league. Before the soft first goal Lovren was winning everything and defending on the front foot, something we cried out for last year.

Tonight reminded me a little of Hull away.

LTWheels

Good breakdown on defending on MNF.

I don't think Skrtel communicates with anyone in defence. Like when to shift across. We are fine shift our defence to the right, as we have Lovren in a good position to see what's going on and to call it. I don't think Skrtel does the same for when we need to move left. That plus the left side of our defence having not played with each other before.

It will get better over time as they get use to playing with each other.

Meier

I think a lot of is because United is pretty desperate right now.

Oh yeah, absolutely -- but they're identifying these teams and just killing it. The Mail mentioned that Madrid have been trying to sell ADM to us for the past few windows but we've turned them down repeatedly, and here they end up getting more than it was even expected that PSG would pay. Amazing really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom