• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yurt, Zabo, is this well known?

But the player’s troublesome right knee is a cause of serious concern, with United acutely aware that the 27-year-old has not started a Serie A game for the Turin side since the 2-0 defeat at Napoli on 30 March – and that he was subsequently asked to play four times, late last season, before the knee was operated on. Juventus needed Vidal as they fought to win last season’s title and to progress in the Europa League.

The player underwent a rapid operation in May to repair his meniscus before the World Cup and was obviously never fully fit in Brazil, where he could not complete any of the three games he played. Universidad de Chile’s team doctor, Alejandro Orizola, described the operation that patched him up for the World Cup as “a hasty procedure” and claimed that “it would always bring with it a regression in his final recovery”.

Manager

RAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 10h
(Man City 3 - 1 Liverpool) City looked like Stoke under Pulis

nt5j5sS.png

Great play by everyone yesterday, the two strikers worked very well defensively, didn't see that much last season . Had a tendency to just stand, waiting for the ball (horrible against Bayern). Now they were down at their own penalty area helping out.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yurt, Zabo, is this well known?

:lol

"Couldn't complete any of his three games"

Couldn't, as in it was physically impossible for him to carry on and was subbed out three times? :lol He could've played for 120 mins if he wanted to. And he did play for 90+ against Brazil.

His knee is fine now, it was NEVER the issue. The issue is the money you don't want to pony up

Couldn't, as in it was physically impossible for him to carry on and was subbed out three times? :lol He could've played for 120 mins if he wanted to. And he did play for 90+ against Brazil.

His knee is fine now, it was NEVER the issue. The issue is the money you don't want to pony up

You can't blame us for attempting to drive the price down bb. Wooders is no Marotta.

Bold One

"You want £60m? Why we can't afford that.......... look this old place is falling apart"

s_37_788_Simpsons_mr_burns_jewels.jpg

DBT85

I'd love to be in one of these meetings where they hash out a £60m transfer only to haggle over £300k.

It's like going out for dinner with friends and someone wanting to calculate exactly how much they owe when they had practically the same as everyone else.

Manager

Looks like Benatia deal will be done today. Gazetto and Calciomerato are saying 26 million EUR + 4 million bonus.

Pretty good price after what the Roma chairman kept screaming about during the summer, that €30m would only get his right foot or whatever it was.

Manager

I'd love to be in one of these meetings where they hash out a £60m transfer only to haggle over £300k.

It's like going out for dinner with friends and someone wanting to calculate exactly how much they owe when they had practically the same as everyone else.

It's just the € -> £ conversion, £59.7m is exactly €75m. Mangala cost £31.9m or €40m.

GorillaJu

RAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 10h
(Man City 3 - 1 Liverpool) City looked like Stoke under Pulis

nt5j5sS.png

Great play by everyone yesterday, the two strikers worked very well defensively, didn't see that much last season . Had a tendency to just stand, waiting for the ball (horrible against Bayern). Now they were down at their own penalty area helping out.

You really did play rather defensively given your team and that it was a home game. We had more possession and I think more efforts on goal. I'm not saying it was the wrong decision to play that way—the best way to stop Liverpool playing their game is to slow the game down and keep the defense compact.

Obviously the Stoke comparison is a stupid exaggeration though.

Jack cw

Pretty good price after what the Roma chairman kept screaming about during the summer, that €30m would only get his right foot or whatever it was.

Yeah, apparently the EPL teams didnt play Romas game and there was no real bid for Benatia. They couldnt backpaddle from this situation as Benatia refused to extend a new Roma contract and they have to sell him, if they want some money.

Blablurn

We need a defender way more urgent than another striker.
Reus is around 50 million at the moment. We will buy him next summer and pull the clause for 25 million :)

Edit:
@yurt pls excuse my Italian. I'm just ignorant.
I guess :(

Fuck dortmund for injuring javi

LTWheels

So for Spurs, bring Markovic or Balotelli in for Coutinho?

I still think our biggest problem in defence is that Skrtel is brain dead. He's not proactive enough, likes to react only to his area of the pitch.

For City's first and third goal, he should be telling our defence to shift left as he has the best view of the pitch.

I played a lot of rugby as a winger. When the balls on the other side of the pitch, you have the best view of the opponents attack. So you have responsibility to organise the defensive line, by tell your inside players to shift left or right as appropriate.

In football fullbacks are constantly entering and leaving the defensive line (especially with attacking focused FB). Therefore the responsibility is on both CB. All the goals we have conceded this season has been down our left. Skrtel should be organising our back line when the ball is on the left. I've noticed that Lovren shifts to the right when our right flank is attacked. I don't see Skrtel doing the same for the left.

Manager

You really did play rather defensively given your team and that it was a home game. We had more possession and I think more efforts on goal. I'm not saying it was the wrong decision to play that way—the best way to stop Liverpool playing their game is to slow the game down and keep the defense compact.

Obviously the Stoke comparison is a stupid exaggeration though.

Pellegrini kept talking about the defense after the last match and did same yesteray. It's obvious after last season that going full-attack works well against most outside of top-6, but not good at all against Barca, Chelsea, Bayern etc.

With Fernando on instead of Fernandinho, less runs by him offensively, two strikers helping out defensively, and less runs from the full backs, Pellegrini has created much more stability so far - without having to go 4-2-3-1.

People say Fernando has been average but if people look at those times when Liverpool *almost* scored, it was often Fernando who broke it off.

Does anyone know when Filipe Luis will see the field?

Mourinho probably does. Not many else.

It really depends on the first defender to fuck up i think. Azpilicueta and Ivan has both kept up their form, and cahill and Terry have also played well enough that it's hard to put them on the bench (to move Ivan in there and Azpilicueta to the right).

GorillaJu

So for Spurs, bring Markovic or Balotelli in for Coutinho?

I still think our biggest problem in defence is that Skrtel is brain dead. He's not proactive enough, likes to react only to his area of the pitch.

For City's first and third goal, he should be telling our defence to shift left as he has the best view of the pitch.

I played a lot of rugby as a winger. When the balls on the other side of the pitch, you have the best view of the opponents attack. So you have responsibility to organise the defensive line, by tell your inside players to shift left or right as appropriate.

In football fullbacks are constantly entering and leaving the defensive line (especially with attacking focused FB). Therefore the responsibility is on both CB. All the goals we have conceded this season has been down our left. Skrtel should be organising our back line when the ball is on the left. I've noticed that Lovren shifts to the right when our right flank is attacked. I don't see Skrtel doing the same for the left.

Coutinho is sub par in away games. I'd like to see Markovic in for him and Sterling in the playmaker role. Put Henderson, Allen and Gerrard in the middle. We need to control the midfield. We can't just absorb pressure against Spurs.

I don't have a good feeling about this game—but to be fair we looked like we had another poor season ahead of us last year when we lost 2-0 at the Emirates and then our season really started to roll on as we began to win lots of games.

Honestly, Coutinho's played himself out of the team for me. Was one of our worst against Southampton, and perhaps our worst against City overall. Would like to see Markovic play against Spurs

Mignolet's keeping for the third looks worse every time I see it. That Sturridge cross was boss

I made potential suicide by downgrading Pelle to Naismith. Third striker is a tough call this year. Last year's two best strikers were both pretty cheap at the start. I think Suarez 9.5 and Sturridge 8.5 or 9.0.

Rooney pooped it up this weekend and I'm fearing for the future. I need City representation it they're so fucking stacked, who do I even pick?

I'm sticking with Rooney and Mata for a few more weeks because Utd's fixtures are Burnley, QPR, Leicester whilst Man Citys are Stoke, Arsenal, Chelsea. After that I will consider using my wildcard to get some City players in.

GorillaJu

Cou is a smart player who will benefit from competition with Lallana and Markovic for his place in the team. He's got a good attitude, and he's got all the ability he needs to succeed. He's 22 and at a good age to make a lot of development.

I'd personally prefer him in a deeper position. I think he'll make his biggest impression as a Modric-type whose job is to press and pass from deep. His range is just about right for that job, and he has the special kind of dribbling skill you need to break forward when there's open space ahead.

What I don't want to see is on the edge of the box trying to dribble past two, three players. His success rate in turning that into a goal-scoring opportunity is too low except against defensively-obliging teams.

I'd rather him stay 5-10 yards out and try to find a dink over the top or a through ball to play Sturridge or Balo in.

DBT85

Di Maria is a cherry on top of a turd if they don't get other business done.

I want a picture of him arriving at Carrington.

And The #7 will finally be back on the back of a player of the quality to deserve it after too long out of the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom