• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Boom, 12th in korea, 4th in footy-gaf and 1st in head to head, with Wilbur up next. So another easy win :p

Decided to use my wildcard to get rid of Giroud, Dzeko, Kolarov and Gibbs and replace them with Jovetic, Ade, and Demichelis. Also switched Mannone with Courtouis.

I wish Wenger would act as quickly as I do.

Pennywise

Too bad you dont have a Schieber anymore. Why not try Ramos?

Some minor problems prevented him from playing against Leverkusen.

Schieber wouldn't have worked in Dortmund in a million years, at least if Klopp would still be the coach and we had the same system.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Boom, 12th in korea, 4th in footy-gaf and 1st in head to head, with Wilbur up next. So another easy win :p

Decided to use my wildcard to get rid of Giroud, Dzeko, Kolarov and Gibbs and replace them with Jovetic, Ade, and Demichelis. Also switched Mannone with Courtouis.

I wish Wenger would act as quickly as I do.

Who's the top 10 in FootyGAF? :lol

Bold One

Just pre-ordered the PS4 Destiny Bundle for £289 with a bunch of Tesco vouchers and shit. Not bad.

I'm going to miss the Liverpool match on Sunday as I'll be on a plane, but I think it's a good time to play them. Before they've really built up a head of steam.

what?!

dc89

Moyes really did the shitty end of the stick

I can't imagine how frustrating it must've been to be told you could buy anyone and then end up with the squad he had.

Talk of Ronaldo, Bale, Kroos, Fabregas and you end up panic buying Fellaini.

Yep. I feel bad for the guy.

Labadal

Just pre-ordered the PS4 Destiny Bundle for £289 with a bunch of Tesco vouchers and shit. Not bad.

I'm going to miss the Liverpool match on Sunday as I'll be on a plane, but I think it's a good time to play them. Before they've really built up a head of steam.

We're going to win.
begging-gif.gif

So a Football Italia article said that Sabatini flew to London a couple days ago to offer us Benatia, but Arsenal turned him down. I really hope the article is bullshit, which I feel it is, but if it is even remotely true then the club is truly clueless.

Clegg

Been looking through yesterday's posts about Uniteds possible formation with Di Maria in the side. I just can't see one where Mata plays effectively in.

sohois

So a Football Italia article said that Sabatini flew to London a couple days ago to offer us Benatia, but Arsenal turned him down. I really hope the article is bullshit, which I feel it is, but if it is even remotely true then the club is truly clueless.

I'd imagine that clubs offering players around is standard practice. Arsenal didn't get involved for several reasons:

a) knew that they wouldn't have been able to compete with Bayern
b) didn't think it was worth the investment

I'd imagine that clubs offering players around is standard practice. Arsenal didn't get involved for several reasons:

a) knew that they wouldn't have been able to compete with Bayern
b) didn't think it was worth the investment

a) the offer Bayern made is 19M so Sab flew to London to try and sell him to us.
b) it is why Arsenal won't win the league. Have a chance to sign one of the top 5 CBs who is just entering his prime and we turn it down.

I suppose the only other idea is that LVG completely re-puposes Di Maria into a traditional CM (not the same thing as the sort of CM position he played for RM or Argentina last year since those systems had a dedicated DM anchor). Think it would be a waste of his talents though.

In truth I think the real answer to this signing lies in that LVG wants to change to 4-3-3 ASAP.

sohois

a) the offer Bayern made is 19M so Sab flew to London to try and sell him to us.
b) it is why Arsenal won't win the league. Have a chance to sign one of the top 5 CBs who is just entering his prime and we turn it down.

I mean in terms of attraction. Benatia would probably have just turned Arsenal down so he could force the Bayern move.

edit: and regarding the second point, it would be a misallocation of resources for Arsenal. They already have good first team centrebacks, but are lacking in other areas. Spending big on a CB could well lead to being unable to bring in a good midfielder or striker.

I mean in terms of attraction. Benatia would probably have just turned Arsenal down so he could force the Bayern move.

Maybe, but the article seems to suggest that Benatia is now just desperate to move, he isn't talking to anyone and they are not talking to him.

edit: and regarding the second point, it would be a misallocation of resources for Arsenal. They already have good first team centrebacks, but are lacking in other areas. Spending big on a CB could well lead to being unable to bring in a good midfielder or striker.

He is miles better than Mert and Kos. he is strong, quick, a great passer, a solid tackler and has good anticipation. He would be a huge upgrade.

Clegg

I suppose the only other idea is that LVG completely re-puposes Di Maria into a traditional CM (not the same thing as the sort of CM position he played for RM or Argentina last year since those systems had a dedicated DM anchor). Think it would be a waste of his talents though.

In truth I think the real answer to this signing lies in that LVG wants to change to 4-3-3 ASAP.
That would have either Rooney or Mata on the wing or at the the highest point in midfield. Neither work on the wing and Rooney isn't a great 10. But since he's the captain he gets more chances than others. Mata gets benched.

sohois

Maybe, but the article seems to suggest that Benatia is now just desperate to move, he isn't talking to anyone and they are not talking to him.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than is revealed in the papers though, with top clubs these days you rarely see deals fall down on personal terms because clubs pre arrange it through the agents and then make a bid.

Arsenal could have quite easily contacted Benatia's agent and found he was not interested or his wage demands were excessive.

He is miles better than Mert and Kos. he is strong, quick, a great passer, a solid tackler and has good anticipation. He would be a huge upgrade.

Let me use a very simple reduction to illustrate:

Assume that Koscielney and Mertesacker are 7/10 (with a normal distribution) for CBs. And that Benatia is a 9/10. So bringing in Benatia gives a +2 increase to the overall team.

Now let's assume that in the DM position, Arteta is a 5/10, and up front Sanogo is a 3/10. So if Arsenal split the Benatia fee between 2 players who are 7/10 then their team would increase by 6 points.

Hugely simplified but hopefully you see the basic point I am making.

El Topo

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than is revealed in the papers though, with top clubs these days you rarely see deals fall down on personal terms because clubs pre arrange it through the agents and then make a bid.

Arsenal could have quite easily contacted Benatia's agent and found he was not interested or his wage demands were excessive.

I remember there were rumors that said that Benatia wants €8m per year. No idea if true.

DBT85

I agree its difficult to see a system that fits them all in at once. But there are going to be injuries and we have all the games in euro... fuck.

yep, that is why if Sab flew to london he must have known of Benatia's desire to join Arsenal. he would not have offered him without knowing Benatia's wishes.

Still I take the whole article with a huge grain of salt.

Tc91

Angel of Mary can play on either side of Mata

did you not see G.Nev's analysis?

The G Nev analysis was good. I agree with the formations he put up and like he said you have a 40-50 game season so everyone is going to be needed.

If Mata gets benched then so be it, if ADM produces the type of form he had at Madrid in the middle then we'll be a better team.

GorillaJu

You guys is it even possible to go from someone who does everything spontaneously with absolutely no foresight, attention span or work ethic into a conscientious and successful person?

Please say yes.

K1LLER7

That would have either Rooney or Mata on the wing or at the the highest point in midfield. Neither work on the wing and Rooney isn't a great 10. But since he's the captain he gets more chances than others. Mata gets benched.
433/442 (diamond)

Fullbacks provide the width/strikers pull out wide too.

Blind plays DM. Herrera and Di Maria either side.

Mata the point and RoonVP top 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom