• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah so winning the FA Cup is the equivalent of nutting in someone's hair.

can someone point out to me where it is on this scale?

sock --------------------------------------------------------------> swallow

GorillaJu

I don't mean to be a dick to our United fans but Marie earning 200k a week is pretty ridiculous to me. Yes he is an immensely talented player who I think has the potential to be Utd's player of the season. But this outlay coming out in the midst of all the difficulty in the first few fixtures, with uncertainty regarding qualifying for next year's CL, seems like myopic business. You've spent 130m so far, and of the players bought I expect Marie to be the only one to make a significant contribution in this first season. Rojo and Herrera are talented but will need time to develop their positions, and Shaw is fat
clearly bought with the future in mind and isn't at the level Utd need right now.

It isn't simply matter of United getting up from their seat on the train and everyone stands by eyeing that empty spot. The minute Utd stood up, 3 other clubs all fought over it, and those clubs are now well-managed with squads of increasing depth and quality. Honestly, I think Spurs and Everton have a legitimate shot at CL qualification, so even if Liverpool drop out of the top 4 which seems by all accounts likely, you're still in competition with 2 other clubs who will fight for that 4th place spot, and with the way Spurs' talented group has started to click together under Poch, I'd call them favorites to finish above Man Utd—in the top 4, or out of it.

So it may end up being another 2 seasons before you're in the CL, and in the meantime you'll have paid out almost 100m on Marie's fee and wages, not to mention high earners who aren't leaving and high salaried players who may not have contributed at a level befitting their wages. I don't know all the numbers and I'm also not an accountant so it's entirely possible that I'm off the mark with this assessment but I would say from an onlooker's perspective, United don't appear to be in a healthy situation right now.

dimaria19rfaxb4sd8.gif

lvg77ksdd.gif

I don't mean to be a dick to our United fans but Marie earning 200k a week is pretty ridiculous to me. Yes he is an immensely talented player who I think has the potential to be Utd's player of the season. But this outlay coming out in the midst of all the difficulty in the first few fixtures, with uncertainty regarding qualifying for next year's CL, seems like myopic business. You've spent 130m so far, and of the players bought I expect Marie to be the only one to make a significant contribution in this first season. Rojo and Herrera are talented but will need time to develop their positions, and Shaw is fat
clearly bought with the future in mind and isn't at the level Utd need right now.

It isn't simply matter of United getting up from their seat on the train and everyone stands by eyeing that empty spot. The minute Utd stood up, 3 other clubs all fought over it, and those clubs are now well-managed with squads of increasing depth and quality. Honestly, I think Spurs and Everton have a legitimate shot at CL qualification, so even if Liverpool drop out of the top 4 which seems by all accounts likely, you're still in competition with 2 other clubs who will fight for that 4th place spot, and with the way Spurs' talented group has started to click together under Poch, I'd call them favorites to finish above Man Utd—in the top 4, or out of it.

So it may end up being another 2 seasons before you're in the CL, and in the meantime you'll have paid out almost 100m on Marie's fee and wages, not to mention high earners who aren't leaving and high salaried players who may not have contributed at a level befitting their wages. I don't know all the numbers and I'm also not an accountant so it's entirely possible that I'm off the mark with this assessment but I would say from an onlooker's perspective, United don't appear to be in a healthy situation right now.

Oh we know. There's a reason why a lot of us would be happy with even a 4th place on the table.

Moyes inherited a lackluster squad that worked only thanks to Fergie and his team of coaches. You could see that we were significantly demoralised last season only to get worse when the morale boost that was Mata's signing didn't work out the way it should. It made the problems with our midfield glaringly obvious and our other biggest signing that was supposed to patch that; Fellaini was shit.

Now our best defender has left; leaving no good leader on the back line. I really think we currently have quite possibly one of the worse back line in the EPL. Add that with our 'big name' CM signing is off injured and yeah, things are looking really shit at the moment.

I can't blame LVG for the start of this season. He had less time to work due to being the coach of Netherlands and his picks are still off injured. Sad to say I won't even be surprised if we are somewhere near the mid table by the end of the year.

Chested in the second goal, no look pass for the third.. these guys were taking the piss :lol

It was really odd. After the first goal they were a little tentative, then they slowly realised that Man Utd weren't going to come back and imposed themselves more and more on the game, and ended up looking completely comfortable in possession. Man Utd only started giving the keeper real trouble when it was already 3-0

You see it quite often when Prem teams play lower league teams, underestimate them and end up giving the initiative to them. They use it to pile the pressure on and ride the momentum to dominate the chances, but it doesn't often end in a well deserved 4-0 loss, let alone one where they look genuinely more technically adept than their counterparts.

Obviously nowhere near Man Utd's first 11, but they were comfortably outfought, out-thought, and outplayed in every area.

Jarnet87

lol oh United. This game immediately reminded me of the league cup games a few years back where Sir Alex played about 6 strikers. Had the exact same feel. If you showed me that starting 11 I'd of told you it wouldn't shock me if we lost to MK Dons. Was surprised at how pathetic the defenders were though.

Lightning

Banned
I'm so nervous about our game tomorrow. The thought of not qualifying for the CL is a very bad thought indeed. Would be such a disaster for us.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lol at one of the Portuguese newspapers headlining "Benfica dreams of chicharito", as if a) we could ever afford him b) we could ever afford his salary and c) he would ever agree to play in the shitty Portuguese league

Do newspapers in other countries also do silly impossible headlines like this?

ElyrionX

Oh we know. There's a reason why a lot of us would be happy with even a 4th place on the table.

Moyes inherited a lackluster squad that worked only thanks to Fergie and his team of coaches. You could see that we were significantly demoralised last season only to get worse when the morale boost that was Mata's signing didn't work out the way it should. It made the problems with our midfield glaringly obvious and our other biggest signing that was supposed to patch that; Fellaini was shit.

Now our best defender has left; leaving no good leader on the back line. I really think we currently have quite possibly one of the worse back line in the EPL. Add that with our 'big name' CM signing is off injured and yeah, things are looking really shit at the moment.

I can't blame LVG for the start of this season. He had less time to work due to being the coach of Netherlands and his picks are still off injured. Sad to say I won't even be surprised if we are somewhere near the mid table by the end of the year.

Oh please. The problems with our midfield have been glaringly obvious for many seasons now. Ferguson just squeezed whatever he could out of his trusted lieutenants so he could retire on a high and leave his poor successor to clean up his shit.

omgkitty

Draxler is 37m by himself so your math doesn't work.

Meh Huntelaar is 31 now. They're never going to get any money for him after this. Huntelaar is basically a really good version of Giroud. They're similar players except Huntelaar can score. We really should have just signed Huntelaar like 3 years ago.

Lightning

Banned
Meh Huntelaar is 31 now. They're never going to get any money for him after this. Huntelaar is basically a really good version of Giroud. They're similar players except Huntelaar can score. We really should have just signed Huntelaar like 3 years ago.
Schalke would tell us to kiss their behinds then sell 2 of their key players with less than a week remaining in the window,

omgkitty

By that logic Gonzalo Higuain is also a really good version of Giroud, so is Edin Dzeko.

:| I'm just trying to compare to what we already have. When I compare I mean they are big target strikers who are good at holding the ball up and playing other players in.

Edit: Wait...is Mario Gomez fit finally? He could do a job.

Lightning

Banned
By that logic Gonzalo Higuain is also a really good version of Giroud, so is Edin Dzeko.

EDIT: and the immortal Mario Gomez.

ibgn2mruulvq23.gif
Mario Gomez is a total different player to Giroud. Gomez was an amazing poacher who would score a goal despite doing nothing else for the entire game. Giroud works his socks off, defends brilliantly, tracks back. he just doesn't make great runs and is slow and an average finisher.

panty

Plug posted the non-english version but I didn't see this one, maybe it was posted already but who cares.

An open Letter from Angel di María to all the Real Madrid fans,

My time at Real Madrid has come to an end. It's impossible, in just a few lines, to put all I have gained here, but this letter is my way of explaining how I'm feeling now that I'm bidding the club farewell. Over the four years I have had the honour of wearing this shirt, I have felt nothing but pride about everything that has happened and all I have achieved together with my teammates.

Sadly, now I have to go, but I want to make it clear that this was never my wish. I've always wanted to progress, as anyone else does in their job. I went to the World Cup after winning the 'Decima' with the hope of getting some signal from the Club Management, but it never came. Many things were said and many lies circulated. They always wanted to pin the idea of leaving the club on me, but that's not how it was. Unfortunately, my football isn't to someone's taste. The only thing I asked for was a fair deal. There are many things that I value and a lot of them have nothing to do with my salary. I hope to find them at Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, with which I'm hoping to make history.

I've been lucky enough to share a dressing room with some fantastic players, who have been even better teammates. I think that was the key to winning the Tenth Champions League. I want to apologise for the times I made mistakes, on or off the field. It was never my intention to do wrong by anyone. I sweated for this shirt every game as if it were the last. There were times when things went well, and times when they didn't, but what I can say is that I always gave it everything.

I want to thank Spain for everything it's given me and especially for being the country where my daughter was born. And I would like to send a very special thank you to the people at the Montepríncipe hospital, who will always be in my heart. My wife, daughter and I will be forever grateful. Also to my teammates, who always supported me, in good times and bad, to the various coaching teams I've worked with and also to all the people who work at the club on a daily basis, who I have a great relationship with.

I hope that Real Madrid have a great season and achieve the ambitions the club is always keen to push for. That moment at the Bernabéu in the 'Supercopa' when I came onto the pitch and was greeted with such great affection from the crowd will stay with me forever. Thank you so much. It still gives me goosebumps. I could not think of a better farewell for what turned out to, unfortunately, be my last game.

Hala Madrid! Always and forever!

Angel Di Maria

I think I'm going to Madrid and cut Perez. I fucking hate this shit club.

Mario Gomez is a total different player to Giroud. Gomez was an amazing poacher who would score a goal despite doing nothing else for the entire game. Giroud works his socks off, defends brilliantly, tracks back. he just doesn't make great runs and is slow and an average finisher.

It's almost as if he shouldn't play striker!

Could've had Mandzukic for 13m euros. But Arsenal obviously has bigger fish to fry.

Lightning

Banned
Plug posted the non-english version but I didn't see this one, maybe it was posted already but who cares.

I think I'm going to Madrid and cut Perez. I fucking hate this shit club.
That's a depressing read. Much like Ozil, he didn't want to leave. Quite sad given I've never seen him play as good as he's played this year..

I can't believe we're hours away from being knocked out of europe.

Ba double is coming. 3-2 Final Score.
I'll be shattered if we don't qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom