• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Mannone

Verg
O'Shea
Brown
PvA

Cattermole
Rodwell
Larsson

AJ/Buckley
Wickham
Alvarez

wtzgU.gif

Really well balanced squad. Poyet building a good team.

All the journalists have this Carvalho story. Woowar is playing games again.

Willy has the same rep as Di Maria so we were told about his availability during those negotiations. And we have a good working relationship with Sporting so the transfer should, hopefully, not be too difficult.

Imagine if we actually signed the players we briefed the press about.

3Sixty

The way it works unfortunately. Not fair though. He deserved it last season, he was great whenever I saw him play.

He was. Still not happy we sold him, I know I troll him but I have little doubt he'll develop into a quality CB. I don't think he would have been ready to play 3rd choice CB for us this season though, let alone Arsenal.

pulga

Banned
Fucking LOL at the Xabi thing

Bayern sends our way the new 24 year old hotness for peanuts, whilst we send back a declining 33 year old gentleman for almost half of what we spent on Kroos.

I'm gonna miss him, but I'm not exactly sad about it, we're more than covered in the mid.

Salvadora

He was. Still not happy we sold him, I know I troll him but I have little doubt he'll develop into a quality CB. I don't think he would have been ready to play 3rd choice CB for us this season though, let alone Arsenal.
He's done well so far.

Good passing. Very athletic.

Couple of mistakes here and there, but that's to be expected.

Gambit

Really? Xabi Alonso to Bayern?

No sure I like that. I'd rather Pep implements some of the youngsters, even if it means a less successful season. Besides we are getting too many Spaniards!

Objectively speaking, it would probably be a very smart move for Bayern. But why not simply pay Kroos what he wanted instead? ...grml

It's been an oddly quiet few months from Islam Feruz who spent last summer on tour with Chelsea but has simply disappeared off the radar this offseason. He did travel with a Chelsea youth contingent to a tournament in Hong Kong after declining an invitation to join up with Scotland U21s.

With many expecting a loan for the young striker who so impressed with Chelsea U18 a couple seasons ago, the lack of any news could be somewhat discouraging. He was one of the leading appearance-makers for Chelsea U21 last season, yet had no appearances so far this season. Finally, there is news today -- confirming Twitter whisperings from a few days ago -- but it only adds to this rather odd Feruz situation.

A report out of Russia claims that Islam has passed a medical with a Russian second (!) division team called FC Krylia Sovetov, which means "Wings of the Soviets." Poetic. They are based in Samara (formerly Kuybyshev), a rather sizable city on the banks of the Volga, so it's not like it's in the middle of nowhere, but still a rather odd choice. According to his agent, it's all part of a process.

That's....a weird loan lol

Do you got a .gif of the goal to tie the game? Deserves to be mentioned, scored right at the end.

Nah, didn't even see it.

Lightning

Banned
For me it's not about him being ready. He's an incredibly talented and mature for his age. With playing time he will learn and go from strength to strength. I'm not remotely bothered by any mistakes he makes, they will only make him better in the long run.

Phlebas

Banned
Fucking LOL at the Xabi thing

Bayern sends our way the new 24 year old hotness for peanuts, whilst we send back a declining 33 year old gentleman for almost half of what we spent on Kroos.

I'm gonna miss him, but I'm not exactly sad about it, we're more than covered in the mid.

Surely Madrid have another player lined up if Xabi to Bayern is true.

K1LLER7

United signing Carvalho?

Watched him at the world cup. Moved so slow it was as if he was playing on the moon.

Better than Cleverley and Fellaini though.

Abraxas

Few points:

1) That new title is FLAWLESS
2) Wilshere was great today
3) gg Malmo
4) Rabiot could be one of the worlds best midfielders, BUT he isn't yet ready to play 90 minutes week-in-week-out. I've seen him about 5 times, and he is similar to Ateta. I've never seen him play without Matuidi or Motta watching out for him.

5) Alonso out, Reus in? :lol imagine:

Ronnie--Benz--Bale
--------James--------
--Reus--Kroos--Mod
-Ramos-Varane-pepe

Perez!

6) Southampton could stuff us in the cup.

7) Pep shoving Muller around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lphl3_ODIzw

Arnie

The Times article on United:

James Ducker assesses size of the challenge facing the Manchester United manager after a bad start to his tenure

These are still early days in the reign of Louis van Gaal, but Manchester United have endured a torrid start to the season under the Dutchman. A dismal 2-1 defeat at home to Swansea City on the opening day was followed by a similarly tepid 1-1 draw away to Sunderland before a youthful United team — albeit one containing six senior internationals — were crushed 4-0 by MK Dons, the Sky Bet League One club, in the Capital One Cup second round on Tuesday.

September is yet to arrive, but with no European football at Old Trafford this term and United firm outsiders in many eyes to win the Barclays Premier League title, the club’s elimination from the League Cup at the first hurdle has left the FA Cup as perhaps their only realistic chance of silverware.

Here, The Times looks at some of the questions that have been raised over the course of a troubling ten days.

The formation

Reasons to be fearful

To utilise a 3-4-1-2 system successfully, a team need top-quality centre halves, strong, fast wing backs with a firm grasp of the complexities of the role and a tenacious, mobile defensive midfielder. Most of these are in scant supply at Old Trafford and, as a consequence, United have lacked cohesion, even if the most basic lapses in concentration and control are altogether more concerning.

Central midfielders or orthodox wingers are being asked to reinvent themselves as wing backs and it is not working. Similarly, is the move to a demanding new formation the most sensible strategy when the confidence of a depleted squad is so low and numerous players, notably in defence, lack the technical qualities that Van Gaal demands?

Reasons to be cheerful

Injuries have come at a bad time. United have nine players out, including Luke Shaw and Rafael Da Silva, the most natural candidates to occupy the two wing-back positions. Van Gaal has also not ruled out reverting to a more familiar 4-3-3 formation that would help to compensate for the lack of pedigree central defenders, bolster the midfield and play to the strengths of players such as Ángel di María and Ander Herrera.

The squad

Reasons to be fearful

Van Gaal has complained all summer that the squad is top-heavy and unbalanced, yet has done little to address that. United are still searching for a world-class central defender and defensive midfielder, despite spending £132.5 million. Di María aside, the lack of pace is startling and too many players are either not performing, bereft of confidence or simply not good enough. Van Gaal risks being left with a glut of disillusioned players — among them Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverley, Marouane Fellaini and Shinji Kagawa — whom he has told are surplus to requirements.

Reasons to be cheerful

Di María will provide pace, dynamism and energy, even if Van Gaal must quickly establish a defined role for the Argentinian. He has already talked about the player being United’s answer to Arjen Robben, the Holland forward. The manager has been largely deprived of his three other signings — Shaw and Herrera through injury, Marcos Rojo because of a work-permit issue — and Robin van Persie is not yet up to speed. There remains the chance that Van Gaal could further strength his squad before Monday.

The fixture list

Reasons to be fearful

An inviting start was supposed to present United with an opportunity to build some momentum before an exacting October and November, during which time they face Everton, Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal, but they have made Swansea, Sunderland and MK Dons look far better than they are.

Reasons to be cheerful

As laboured, ponderous and disorganised as United have been, their next four games, starting against Burnley at Turf Moor on Saturday and continuing with Queens Park Rangers, Leicester City and West Ham United, should be winnable. Fixture congestion will not be a problem.

The manager

Reasons to be cheerful

Van Gaal has had only six weeks to work with an incomplete squad and has admitted many times that it may take time to adjust to his tactical requirements.

Reasons to be fearful

He was guilty of a misjudgment by fielding a weakened team against MK Dons and not at least naming a stronger substitutes’ bench. His desire to give youth a chance is commendable, but is he in danger of overestimating their talents? And why did he not prioritise signing a leading centre half and defensive midfielder?

The Dutchman has also suggested that it could take a year for the players to adjust, but United can ill afford a second successive season without Champions League football and must take advantage of a less hectic fixture schedule.

Expense accounting

£197.1m United’s outlay on six players over the past 12 months

£132.5m Spending on four players this summer: Ángel Di María, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera and Marcos Rojo

2 Times the club have broken their transfer record in eight months, initially with the £37.1 million signing of Juan Mata

Meier

Lol at this RT from Killer7:

Alec Purdie ‏@AlecPurdie 33m
Rumors van Gaal's back in for #Carvalho. He's a big fan, went out of his way to name him at the World Cup as one of the best players.

Carvalho as one of the best players at the World Cup.. oh boy, that's rich. :lol He's a good prospect and may develop into a fantastic player, but that's too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom