• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

I'm not concerned. if anything, not getting a result + Arteta's injury might get Wenger to buy someone.

You guys are in the CL every year, though, so in your situation I would probably feel similar. For us though it's been 4 years. It would be an absolute disaster to not go through in the qualifiers.

I think we'll go out in the group stages because of Rodgers' inexperience in Europe, but at least we'll get a few months of bliss.

jtb

Banned
I meant a result in the first leg. I think we'll go through.

0-0 could make for a cagey game but I think they'll crumble away from home. playing these CL qualifiers every year might be the only high pressure situations that Arsenal players have actually learned to deal with

Shame the CL matches tomo are all one sided to an extent. The standout one has to be, Lille vs Porto. Having said that, Porto should have too much for Lille.

Zenfica should have it easy tomo. :p

Two thirds of Zenfica (Witsel and Javi Garcia) won't play tomorrow though :(

Hopefully old man Tymo still has a couple of decent performances left in him.

You doubt we'll get the required result at the Emirates?

Our biggest problem is we have Everton away this weekend so that's a tough game that will drain the squad and Özil and Mertesacker will only have very limited game time so they will likely be off the pace. That soft red card means no Ramsey, Arteta's buggered so he's out. Gibbs was already out and Koscielny is not a certainty for any game with his situation.

It's like a perfect storm for us to lose or draw and get eliminated on away goals here.

You guys will be fine. Really.

All it takes is one mistake. We are not great defensively and it will take us some more games before the attack will really be flowing. I think we will win, but there will be a lot of pressure on us that we have never faced before in the qualification round.

Giroud as a lone ST? Meh, at times.
Two up top with Giroud & someone else? Sure.

I agree. Giroud is good as a backup or potentially in a front two. Funny how we haven't won much since Wenger changed away from a front two.

jtb

Banned
You guys are in the CL every year, though, so in your situation I would probably feel similar. For us though it's been 4 years. It would be an absolute disaster to not go through in the qualifiers.

I think we'll go out in the group stages because of Rodgers' inexperience in Europe, but at least we'll get a few months of bliss.

Liverpool's coefficient is pretty low, right? could be an ugly group.

wedward

I meant a result in the first leg. I think we'll go through.

0-0 could make for a cagey game but I think they'll crumble away from home. playing these CL qualifiers every year might be the only high pressure situations that Arsenal players have actually learned to deal with

Yeah, not really worried. As bad as we were they weren't any better. I don't expect us too play that poorly again.

Lightning, do we know how long Arteta is out? Could just be a knock and he is out for a couple days.

We have a deep enough squad that we should be able to handle Everton and the CL game.

Giroud killed me today. So frustrating.

Lightning

Banned
Wenger needs to start using common sense or we're in the shit,

Wilshere needs to replace Ramsey therefore Wilshere needs the bench against Everton. Koscielny needs to be benched as well and get treatment or we'll lose him for the season. Flamini needs to be told to stop getting early yellow cards, it makes him unplayable. Cazorla needs to be benched and Ox needs to start on the left.

Those things NEED to happen imo. Aside from the obvious bring in more players.

Yeah, not really worried. As bad as we were they weren't any better. I don't expect us too play that poorly again.

Lightning, do we know how long Arteta is out? Could just be a knock and he is out for a couple days.

We have a deep enough squad that we should be able to handle Everton and the CL game.

Giroud killed me today. So frustrating.
I heard he was limping very badly and was wearing a protective boot. Wenger also didn't sound optimistic but no I doubt I'm assuming he's out based on what I saw, heard from certain people on the internet, and the players age and injury record.

wedward

Wenger needs to start using common sense or we're in the shit,

Wilshere needs to replace Ramsey therefore Wilshere needs the bench against Everton. Koscielny needs to be benched as well and get treatment or we'll lose him for the season. Flamini needs to be told to stop getting early yellow cards, it makes him unplayable. Cazorla needs to be benched and Ox needs to start on the left.

Those things NEED to happen imo. Aside from the obvious bring in more players.

I heard he was limping very badly and was wearing a protective boot. Wenger also didn't sound optimistic but no I doubt I'm assuming he's out based on what I saw, heard from certain people on the internet, and the players age and injury record.

Ah ok. Agree with everything you said above.

Tegris

http://www.ecaeurope.com/tabbed-content/club-ranking/
Liverpool are currently 46th in the coefficient ranks.

Chelsea 4th
United 6th
Arsenal 10th
Spurs 15th
City 16th

United will be about 22-25th at the start of next season as well get sod all this year and will lose 10/11 which was 36 points.

No, you'll keep your 10/11 points next season. The 15/16 season seedings are based on 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14, and 14/15 coefficients. Similarly, Liverpool are really about 32nd for this year's tournaments as we get to include our 09/10 points (Europa League semifinals).

Blablurn

According to @lequipe Mehdi Benatia has told Roma he wishes to move to Bayern Munich. They've already contacted Nastasic as a replacement.

Blablurn

#Müller [ManUtd's million euros offer?]: Of course, I was aware that I could theoretically earn more with a transfer. 1/3 #Sportbild

#Müller: The sums that were standing by foreign clubs in the room were already astronomical. 2/3 #Sportbild

#Müller: I can only say: For me, a change was never really an issue anyway. @FCBayern is my club. 3/3 #Sportbild
What a legend

Obviously he's not starving in Munich either.

According to @lequipe Mehdi Benatia has told Roma he wishes to move to Bayern Munich. They've already contacted Nastasic as a replacement.

There's a new contract on the table for him from Roma, so I'd be shocked if we get Benatia with that 25m bid. It'll end up somewhere round 35 to 40m

Blablurn

There's a new contract on the table for him from Roma, so I'd be shocked if we get Benatia with that 25m bid. It'll end up somewhere round 35 to 40m

yup. 35-40 is what they say on Twitter too. Crazy if we do it. But Roma knows we need the player. They will take every Euro they can get : (

LAM09

We've had far too many stinkers away from home in Europe for me not to worry. Still can't believe Spalletti wasn't fired after that 4-1 loss to Austria Vienna last year.

That was a shock for most, I would imagine. They were the whipping boys for the other two teams in your group, but you guys couldn't beat them. The fact you qualified to the knockout stages with the fewest points ever said it all, really.

Zenit need to match what CSKA did a few years back, and reach the quaters.

That was a shock for most, I would imagine. They were the whipping boys for the other two teams in your group, but you guys couldn't beat them. The fact you qualified to the knockout stages with the fewest points ever said it all, really.

Zenit need to match what CSKA did a few years back, and reach the quaters.
I don't see us winning a group so we'll need the same type of luck that CSKA had to draw Sevilla that season in the knockout round. Btw, that wasn't a good CSKA team, they finished 5th in the league that year.

LAM09

I don't see us winning a group so we'll need the same type of luck that CSKA had to draw Sevilla that season in the knockout round. Btw, that wasn't a good CSKA team, they finished 5th in the league that year.

I didn't realise they did that bad in the league. I guess it all depends on the group you get.

valeo

Giroud as a lone ST? Meh, at times.
Two up top with Giroud & someone else? Sure.

In what world would Wenger play a front two? Not many clubs do, these days - anyway, Sanchez will likely start playing as more of a striker.

All it takes is one mistake. We are not great defensively and it will take us some more games before the attack will really be flowing. I think we will win, but there will be a lot of pressure on us that we have never faced before in the qualification round.

Erm, there have been many qualification games where we have been under this or more pressure.

I don't approve. Players in the holding spot need to balance each other out and if Lahm is staying up then we have two very similar players in the spot.

Depends on how the 3-4-3 is actually employed because if we play a diamond we won't need two holding mids.

-------Lahm-------
Hojbjerg----Bernat
-------Goetze-----
Robben--Lewa--Mueller

EDit: Btw this formation would have been perfect for Kroos. Such a waste.

Blablurn

Depends on how the 3-4-3 is actually employed because if we play a diamond we won't need two holding mids.

-------Lahm-------
Hojbjerg----Bernat
-------Goetze-----
Robben--Lewa--Mueller

EDit: Btw this formation would have been perfect for Kroos. Such a waste.

Kroos :lol It's good that he's gone. Slowed down our game.

Pennywise

Kroos :lol It's good that he's gone. Slowed down our game.

Pls.

He's worldclass.
csdsadsadsnisb0.gif

From yesterday, Wooden made it.

In what world would Wenger play a front two? Not many clubs do, these days - anyway, Sanchez will likely start playing as more of a striker.

Erm, there have been many qualification games where we have been under this or more pressure.

We went a decade without winning playing only one striker.

No we haven't. We have won every previous qualification game. This is the first time we find ourself in this situation.

Lightning

Banned
We went a decade without winning playing only one striker.

No we haven't. We have won every previous qualification game. This is the first time we find ourself in this situation.
Against Udinese though we were a penalty save away from Europa league. When Szcz saved Di Natalie's penalty,

Meier

Arsenal will comfortably win at home. If Besiktas had scored one, they may have had a shot, but it'll end up 3-1 or something like that. They're definitely going to score a few.

Salazar

Telegraph Football ‏@TeleFootball 7m
Fabregas is so talented you wonder why Man Utd did not try to sign him instead of Herrera, says Alan Smith

I'm all for slagging off our transfer activity, but ffs.

Against Udinese though we were a penalty save away from Europa league. When Szcz saved Di Natalie's penalty,

But we had already won the first leg so there was a lot less pressure. We just didn't have to fuck up but of course this being us we made it hard for ourself in the 2nd leg.

This is an entirely new situation for us. WE HAVE TO WIN. They just need a score draw and they qualify.

Zabojnik

Yeah, so, that Witcher 3 35min presentation. Looks amazing and all, but man, the disconnect between what's being said and the facial animation is really, REALLY off-putting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom