• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has won two trophies during his time and flirted with a move away.

The defining moment of his career for me will be that stupid slipping speech where he let the pressure get to him and then went on to slip and cost his sidethe title.

He wanted the team he should have been playing for to win the title but it was too late for us :(

Stevie Gerrard, Chelsea hero in spirit

He's a kinda Jekyll & Hyde captain

He tried leaving once or twice. He's not a great leader.

but

By all account he's fantastic with new signings and youth players, he's stayed here when he was well within his rights to leave, he leads by example, there've been seasons, let alone games, where he's been tasked with holding the entire club on his shoulders and trying to be the difference between top 4 and 10th and he's never shirked that responsibility.

Also, he's calmed down a lot in recent years to cut out the things like terrible tackles and loose elbows, he punched a Manc wth the speed and precision of a professional boxer, and I don't think there have ever been issues between him and another Liverpool player.

He's basically spent the last decade being Mr Liverpool, the figurehead we've needed to stop us sliding into complete mediocrity. Whether you consider that to be relevant to his captaincy is a matter of opinion, I would though.

Terry is a better captain though tbf imo
Terry has had an easier job.

Gerrard is a great captain. Probably one of the last iconic ones.

Also a massive twat with no league titles to show for it.

Gerrard is a great captain. Probably one of the last iconic ones.

Also a massive twat with no league titles to show for it.

Yet
Uus4Plt.png

kharma45

hahahahahahaha Henderson

Protective boot and crutches, during the transfer window when we really, really, really want to fucking shift him.

I am substantially displeased.

Maybe we should team up with Blackpool, might be able to have a full midfield then.

Got a funny feeling Henderson is gonna be partiularly boss against City. Need better individual performances across the board if we're to get anything there

3Sixty

I wouldn't necessary hold Liverpool's performance against us as a way to judge how they'd fair against city.

The way we played without the ball last week was the most comfortable and organized I'd ever seen a Saints team, even Yoshida looked somewhat competent. Under Poch all the tactics revolved around having the ball, our entire defence strategy was the get the ball back. Was refreshing to see tactic shape. We will make it harder for bigger teams to break us down this season.

City will probably still win doe.

Look at this motherfucker, you can see the insanity and rage in him

kgLpP79.jpg

The GOAT captain, who would often use just as much time playing football as he would screaming into the faces of the team mates that didn't perform.

Arnie

The image of Fellaini stood at the bottom of his cellar egging on his missus to drop a brick onto his ankle, eyes red from insistence, is killing me.

"We have to do it, it's the only way."

"I don't want to Marwy"

"YOU'LL BE LIVING IN FUCKING NAPLES. DO YOU WANT TO BE KIDNAPPED?"

Also Gerrard is a brilliant captain. Shanks can fume all he wants in his bitter little world but the man stayed with us and kept us somewhat afloat through years of complete mediocrity. He held the club together when he could've gone and played for Real Madrid.

And he basically won us a Champions League. If that's so insignificant, Shanks, then why hasn't your club won a single one in its existence?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
2nd best captain of all time

0404080z_38373_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

*a few weeks into preseason and after we splashed 20 million on a player he wants*

"juve im tired i need a break from football"

"But Antonio...you promised.."

"pleaseunderstand"
*a few weeks later*

"SO HAPPY TO BE ON THIS PRESTIGIOUS (AZZURRI) BENCH. LETS GET TO WORK"

Two GOAT captains

cannavaro-zidane06.jpg

Was Zidane really a great captain?

@Mastadon, I'm kinda glad we're playing them this early tbh. As long as we don't get battered, worse case scenario is obviously that we're 3 points behind 4th having already played perhaps the hardest fixture of the lot. Hopefully Aguero's not fully fit, and with Toure's age I think it could be a case of him slowly getting into the season as his fitness returns game by game. There's never a good time to go to the Etihad, but this is perhaps as good as it gets. Desperate for Moreno to start, think Can has the tools to prevent them dominating the match as much as they'd like as well

Just a shame we follow it up with another (probably) very difficult away game

Snodgrass has dislocated his knee cap and may be out for 6 months.
How do you even dislocate your knee cap!?

I remember doing gymnastics in pe at school, we had this vault thing. Anyway some girl ran up to do it, smashed her knee on the edge of it and her kneecap ended up down her shin. I'll never forget that image.

He's a kinda Jekyll & Hyde captain

He tried leaving once or twice. He's not a great leader.

but

By all account he's fantastic with new signings and youth players, he's stayed here when he was well within his rights to leave, he leads by example, there've been seasons, let alone games, where he's been tasked with holding the entire club on his shoulders and trying to be the difference between top 4 and 10th and he's never shirked that responsibility.

Also, he's calmed down a lot in recent years to cut out the things like terrible tackles and loose elbows, he punched a Manc wth the speed and precision of a professional boxer, and I don't think there have ever been issues between him and another Liverpool player.

He's basically spent the last decade being Mr Liverpool, the figurehead we've needed to stop us sliding into complete mediocrity. Whether you consider that to be relevant to his captaincy is a matter of opinion, I would though.

Terry is a better captain though tbf imo

Maybe you are right

All-time greatest captains

Tony Adams - Aug. 18
Franco Baresi - Aug. 19
Franz Beckenbauer - Aug. 20
Francisco Gento - Aug. 21
Steven Gerrard - Aug. 22
Roy Keane - Aug. 25
Bobby Moore - Aug. 26
Carles Puyol - Aug. 27
Obdulio Varela - Aug. 28
Dino Zoff - Aug. 29

There is the full list

Feorax

Telegraph running two seperate stories today about Muller and Reus both rejecting United.

Can't fault Woody's ambition.

dc89

Rio Ferdinand: Man Utd will win the title, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have no chance

The six-time league winner cites Wayne Rooney and Louis Van Gaal as the driving force behind United's impending success.

Ferdinand said: "I'm backing Manchester United to win the league."

"Manchester United will win because they have a good manager. Wayne Rooney is a good choice as captain. This is his 10th year and he will be top scorer in the League this season.

"Obviously they need their best players fit. Last season Robin Van Persie did not play much but he could also be a top scorer."

The QPR centre-half continued to question Chelsea's chances of landing their third title in a decade, and questioned Arsenal's over-crowded squad.

"I do not see Chelsea winning [the title].

"They [Arsenal] have bought well but I just don't know where all their players are going to fit.

"Olivier Giroud, Alexis Sanchez, Theo Walcott, when he is fit Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mesut Ozil, Lukas Podolski."

Ferdinand completed his Premier League prediction with an uncompromising view of Liverpool's multiple additions.

"The biggest problem for Liverpool is that for many of their players, this is the first time they are playing in the Champions League.

"They are not used to the volume of games that they will have to play now and they've got a lot of new players who have to get accustomed to the new way of life."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...-Chelsea-Arsenal-and-Liverpool-have-no-chance

Doesn't mention City. Still living in denial.

The list of strikers Ajax are rumoured to go after if the Eto'o deal breaks down is hilarious:
Diego Forlán (35, Cerezo Osaka)
Claudio Pizarro (35, Bayern München)
Kevin Kuranyi (32, Dynamo Moskou)
Loïc Rémy (27, QPR)

Apparently the type of player we're going for is: player everyone thought already retired. I have no idea why Rémy is even on that list, extremely unrealistic target.

FootballFan

The list of strikers Ajax are rumoured to go after if the Eto'o deal breaks down is hilarious:
Loïc Rémy (27, QPR)

Apparently the type of player we're going for is: player everyone thought already retired. I have no idea why Rémy is even on that list, extremely unrealistic target.

With his movement, Pizarro won't be retiring for another 5 years minimum.

dc89

LOOOOL

Fuck. Genuinely started laughing dan.

*pics of great captains*

*pic of Kompany*

I can't.

edit
For some clarity, Fuck Kompany.

C'mon dude he is a great captain. He is so intelligent, he's never out in the limelight being a celebrity and all that. Just gets on with his job, a lot of teams would kill to have him as their captain.

I remember doing gymnastics in pe at school, we had this vault thing. Anyway some girl ran up to do it, smashed her knee on the edge of it and her kneecap ended up down her shin. I'll never forget that image.

I was just about to have breakfast. Fuck that.

Elchele

Loïc Rémy (27, QPR)

:lol like you could get Pizarro, pls.

I'm very happy with Chambers and Sanchez from these first few games. Giroud still kills it for me. I think we are a proper striker and an Arteta replacement from challenging for the title

FootballFan

C'mon dude he is a great captain. He is so intelligent, he's never out in the limelight being a celebrity and all that. Just gets on with his job, a lot of teams would kill to have him as their captain.

No doubt. I just hate him, sorry mate.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What was their criteria? Franz, Gerrard, Baresi and Zoff all 'captained' in different ways

Or for 15 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom