• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

Though he has been linked with Liverpool quite frequently, and his parents are supposedly big Liverpool fans, I doubt anything will come of it.

Liverpool simply have too many youngsters to make it worthwhile now. Ibe, Wilson, Peterson, to name a few of the more prominent. If by next year he is in a position to be pushing the first team then maybe.

Yeah but this kid is another level man. Sod Peterson, all aboard the Roberts Train.

Platinum'd The Last of Us and now got nothing to play until next Friday when Metro Redux is out. 1st world problems innit.

Tried Strider and that's shite. That leaves me with returning to FIFA 14. Christ.

Go to the GAME in Stevanage wearing a ludicrously massive coat

Just like you are taught at Burberry Comprehensive, nick a 360 with minimal effort

Play the Witcher 2

Or just buy a PC

Funny you should mention that. United have a worse record of bringing English youngsters through than Man City in the Premier League era. On top of that, Januzaj was the first youth player they'd brought through in general since Welbeck (who not surprisingly was loaned out a few times) as I recall and that was what, 5 years? United's squad was not good last season -- they finished 8th for a reason. When you are a team who is in that area of the table, it makes sense to give some minutes to a younger player who can't be any worse.

Despite having a strikeforce of Rooney, Berbatov, and Chicharito in 2011, United did give Macheda 12 matches that season. He got 10 matches the season before. He had a chance. He just didn't perform.

Januzaj was going to play regardless of where United finished last season. He was impressing too much in the youth teams. I said as much before last year's pre season. Fergie also decided to integrate him with the first team towards the end of his final season which is why he was around during the title celebrations and ultimately became an unused sub in his final match. That was when United were champions, not 7th.

In general, Fergie did get more conservative with youth in his later years. It's one of the reasons why we lost Pogba. What's strange is that Pogba was never going to be loaned out and Fergie said so at the beginning of the season because he was foreign and too much of a talent. No idea why he went back on his word and didn't play him much.

The one thing Fergie constantly did was give youth players minutes in the cup matches regardless of opposition. Against Chelsea United played a cb partnership of Wootton and Michael Keane. His subs were Tunnicliffe, Macheda, and Powell. Lingard, Vermijl, and Brady were all on the bench. United ended up losing that match.

------------

Finally, people need to stop using championships won at youth level as evidence of the team being really talented. It's rare for a team to be insanely talented and also win a trophy proving that. It doesn't matter where a youth team finishes so long as there are 1-2 great players. A team with a better average of talent will beat a team with 2-3 potential stars + below average teammates yet everyone would prefer the latter team.

Look at Southampton. I don't see them winning trophies at youth level and yet they are producing great talents.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Platinum'd The Last of Us and now got nothing to play until next Friday when Metro Redux is out. 1st world problems innit.

Tried Strider and that's shite. That leaves me with returning to FIFA 14. Christ.

Stop Platinuming games, you're cooler than this.

I genuinely go out of my way to not get trophies sometimes just out of principle. FUCK DA POLICE

Salvadora

Finally, people need to stop using championships won at youth level as evidence of the team being really talented. It's rare for a team to be insanely talented and also win a trophy proving that. It doesn't matter where a youth team finishes so long as there are 1-2 great players. A team with a better average of talent will beat a team with 2-3 potential stars + below average teammates yet everyone would prefer the latter team.

Look at Southampton. I don't see them winning trophies at youth level and yet they are producing great talents.
The ultimate purpose of any youth team is to produce players for the first team.

I regard youth trophies as a pretty irrelevant measure of that.

Arnie

To be fair, it does fall under opportunity cost.

Liverpool could use that £20m elsewhere more effectively, possibly.
All we need now to balance the squad out is a striker. None of decent quality are available, regardless of the fee.

If Falcao is available, get him. He's only a year older than Suarez. Pay the fucking money, it does nothing sat in an American bank account.

If you think we could use it more effectively, as in to achieve better results in the immediate future, how do you suppose we do that?

Carbonox

Yeah but this kid is another level man. Sod Peterson, all aboard the Roberts Train.

Go to the GAME in Stevanage wearing a ludicrously massive coat

Just like you are taught at Burberry Comprehensive, nick a 360 with minimal effort

Play the Witcher 2

Or just buy a PC

jam your hype cuz

You should rent knack

I'd rather take a spoon to my knee and eat the puss and gangrene that's festering on/in it.

Stop Platinuming games, you're cooler than this.

I genuinely go out of my way to not get trophies sometimes just out of principle. FUCK DA POLICE

I only do it for games I genuinely love and enjoy. :(

Kid A the point of youth team football isn't to win trophies anyway. It's to produce players for the first team, or players that will have a future in the game.

Kid A the point of youth team football isn't to win trophies anyway. It's to produce players for the first team, or players that will have a future in the game.

I know. That's what I said. People in here were using the title of youth title winners to prove their youth team was great or really talented.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WHO CARES how you get Falcao

If you can get Falcao you get him! IT AINT OUR MONEH

BUT IT WILL BE OUR TROPHEH

L1NETT

Also Chelsea have had players go out and be successful and play well at championship/League 1 level. Would comment on Vitesse but I have never ever watched one minute of their games.

Salvadora

All we need now to balance the squad out is a striker. None of decent quality are available, regardless of the fee.

If Falcao is available, get him. He's only a year older than Suarez. Pay the fucking money, it does nothing sat in an American bank account.

If you think we could use it more effectively, as in to achieve better results in the immediate future, how do you suppose we do that?
I'm not sure how you could use that money elsewhere but I'm sure Rodgers would have a fair idea.

My doubts over Falcao come from a concern over the time it would take him to rehabilitate fully from his serious injury mainly.You don't want to pay £20m for a season long loan where he might only be fully himself for half of it. I've no doubts about his abilities.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So Mackay took a cut from player deals?

Interesting.

You've just added one more person to your cunt list, are you happy now?

Reminds me of a saying

"Never google your heroes" you'll dig up stuff you don't wanna know innit. They're all fucking pedos mang

Can't say I care enough to be too angry, just apathetic. Have to give him a chance I suppose but he's going to be shit really. But at least Sporting/Doyen/Mackay got the money and not Glazers.

I reckon he do alright.

edit: if he is rubbish come to leather lane and I will buy you some falafel to ease the pain.

Arnie

I'm not sure how you could use that money elsewhere but I'm sure Rodgers would have a fair idea.

My doubts over Falcao come from a concern over the time it would take him to rehabilitate fully from his serious injury mainly. I've no doubts about his abilities.
If you have no idea how better to leverage that amount of money then you shouldn't be honestly suggesting it.

I'm sure a full medical will be done on the player and he's already back playing so it isn't as if he's a ticking time bomb. And considering it's an initial loan there's enough time to see if he's worth the future fee.

Look, £20 million isn't a lot in today's game. United just paid almost that for what people are describing as an average defender and they're paying a quarter of the Falcao fee on wages for a player who doesn't even play for them.

As someone who knows their club needs a world class striker the idea of turning down Falcao for a season, something which could propel your club to serious success, is madness. Especially over money that would otherwise amount to a fraction of the player, or worse, a big number in an affluent bellend's bank account.

Hixx

BvgftUxIIAAu3P6.jpg

A body like Wilbur.

Pennywise

Dortmund is getting two large stockholders tomorrow with Puma and Signal Iduna, which will bring about 110m €.

Not sure what to think about Puma :x

Salvadora

If you have no idea how better to leverage that amount of money then you shouldn't be honestly suggesting it.
I didn't say Liverpool shouldn't go for Falcao and instead go for X.

I was stating that it isn't as simple as "the money is better off spent than in the owners pocket" that is often thrown about during the transfer window.

L1NETT

Hoddle was asked to be the new Palace manager. How big a kick in the balls is that for Tim?

Tim shouldn't be getting offers from anyone in the football league. It's tragic Palace are even thinking about him

It's bullshit liking giving even considering a Tottenham Youth coach as your manager that means the pool of premiership managers is so small and it's incredibly difficult for new names and young managers to get their chance

Sherwood is a cretin. Nearest he should get to working to Selhurst Park is the garage round the corner.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
We should really fire Woodward regardless of what happens at the end of this transfer window

Even if he signs us Vidal AND Di Maria I won't forgive him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom