• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, Crystal Palace. My dear old club, you never stop to entertain me in the weirdest of ways.

Of course, Pulis will go just before the season.
Of course we will then get ready to appoint someone like Malky Mackay, who lost his job in such an odd way, and then had to make an even weirder apology to Cardiff and Vincent Tan for it.
Of course this will then happen - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/malky-mackays-crystal-palace-offer-4081081

We're far from the best, but we're never boring. :p

Salvadora

Agreed. But Giroud is made of fucking titanium, whereas Sturridge won't play close to 45-50 games. I don't want to be stuck with just Lambert, and I doubt Rodgers does either. I'd be fine with a loan deal for Eto'o, he was fine towards the tail end of the season, and he's not coming from some barren wasteland like Russia again; he knows the league and I'd guess he'd know his place in the team too.

Have a sickening feeling we'll still go for Bony though.
I think Liverpool in general will get more goals from other areas of the pitch.

Sterling and Henderson, for example, can definitely get more goals. Hell, even Lovren could chip in with how dangerous you are at set pieces.

I think the fans on here are focusing too much on one area of the pitch and not realising how dangerous you are going forward regardless of the personal. You could stick a cone up there and it would get goals.

3Sixty

Ah, Crystal Palace. My dear old club, you never stop to entertain me in the weirdest of ways.

Of course, Pulis will go just before the season.
Of course we will then get ready to appoint someone like Malky Mackay, who lost his job in such an odd way, and then had to make an even weirder apology to Cardiff and Vincent Tan for it.
Of course this will then happen - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/malky-mackays-crystal-palace-offer-4081081

We're far from the best, but we're never boring. :p

Tan is a worthy bond villain.

Legend.

Labadal

this is like telling someone "you're right, fish in the sea and all that...but what I really want is to fuck your girlfriend, sister and mum"

How am I supposed to respond to that

look at me
It's all your fault. You forced my hand.

Squirt, forgive me.

pulga

Banned
This is quite literally the stupidest and most uniformed post I've ever read on Footygaf

And this is coming from someone who refuses to defend Serie A

I'm not even gonna dignify it with a quote.

I can't wait until Shanks see it tho

L1NETT

Tan is a worthy bond villain.

Legend.

Probably a shit bond film though

Like Quantum of Snorlace or whatever that garbage was called

What were they fighting over, water in Bolivia or some guff

I'd rather watch Bond have to sneak into the directors box at the home fixture vs Birmingham and beat the crap out of Vincent Tan than sit through QoS ever again

That isn't the typical sponsoring deal though, but looks like Puma is really interested to create something.And let's not forget that Puma has Reus as one of the more prominent faces.

Oh god I wanna see Rumenigges face when Reus extends his contract :D

And the money partly goes into the debt we have, 40m or so.

Sure, that's a long term investment.

Not sure about Reus, though. Of course, Puma would really want him to stay. But there's only so much they can do about it and that is paying him more money. But if Reus really was leaving, it wouldn't be because of the money. It would be because of winning big stuff and Puma doesn't have better chances than Klopp or Zorc to persuade him of that.

This is quite literally the stupidest and most uniformed post I've ever read on Footygaf

And this is coming from someone who refuses to defend Serie A

No what I said is the truth. When a league starts losing it's world class players to Ligue 1 then you know somethings not right. Serie A is going through a downward trend, none of the top 5 teams in that league bar Juve and Roma would make into the top 5 in leagues like the EPL, Bundesliga or La Liga. There is a reason the Serie A lost that 4th European spot the quality has dropped and everyone can see it.

Salvadora

I'd rather watch Bond have to sneak into the directors box at the home fixture vs Birmingham and beat the crap out of Vincent Tan than sit through QoS ever again
Quantum-of-Solace-bond-33.jpg
This might genuinely be one of my favourite Bond villains because of how ludicrously shit he is.

L1NETT

Wolves missed a pen and still won

No points for Fulham at all this season

Sacking Martin Jol, that was smart

Magath what a swine. Fuck off please sunshine

Starting to see why people don't think Magath is a very good manager.

What has he done with all the players from last season? Locked them in a cellar or something like that? I saw quite a few of their matches then, and when I look at their squad tonight, I recognize two players in the starting eleven (Parker, and the purchased McCormack) and two on the bench (Dembele, Rodallega).

Labadal

Anyway, Origi impressions:

I don't know what he did on the left. He feels more like striker material to me. He had a couple of good moves during the game, but he was isolated and was marked well the whole game. I think a year on loan will do him good because he will get decent play time. He has good pace and seems not to get overly stressed. It was a bit difficult to get a full perspective because Porto were the better team throughout the game.

Pennywise

Sure, that's a long term investment.

Not sure about Reus, though. Of course, Puma would really want him to stay. But there's only so much they can do about it and that is paying him more money. But if Reus really was leaving, it wouldn't be because of the money. It would be because of winning big stuff and Puma doesn't have better chances than Klopp or Zorc to persuade him of that.

Yeah, but which of the top clubs offers that ?
He obviously doesn't wanna play at Bayern and Madrid already got more players than they can handle.
Barca is still pretty unpredictable and Athletico is similar to Dortmund.
United is in shambles and Man City wasn't even close to get anywhere in CL so far.
Chelsea might be an adress, allthough they already got Hazard, if he continues on his current position.

Just not seeing it at the moment, might happen in 2-3 years if Barca can stabilize themselves.
Maybe he extend his contract with another clause, just a bigger sum of money or a specific club in mind.

wedward

Hard to argue that Serie A hasn't seen a dip in quality.

Wouldn't say it is irrelevant but it looks like the downward trend will continue.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No what I said is the truth. When a league starts losing it's world class players to Ligue 1 then you know somethings not right. Serie A is going through a downward trend, none of the top 5 teams in that league bar Juve and Roma would make into the top 5 in leagues like the EPL, Bundesliga or La Liga. There is a reason the Serie A lost that 4th European spot the quality has dropped and everyone can see it.

I think you've just topped your first post

4th spot was entirely down to Europa League.

3Sixty

QoS was shit, I fucking love bond though.

I remember 1 year when I saw at school ITV were showing 1 film a week in order. It was my most anticipated moment of the week and the first time I had seen most of them.

Memories.

Barzul

It is worrying to see teams like Milan finishing 12th(?). All it takes is a couple oil billionaires to course correct though.

Yeah, but which of the top clubs offers that ?
He obviously doesn't wanna play at Bayern and Madrid already got more players than they can handle.
Barca is still pretty unpredictable and Athletico is similar to Dortmund.
United is in shambles and Man City wasn't even close to get anywhere in CL so far.
Chelsea might be an adress, allthough they already got Hazard, if he continues on his current position.

Just not seeing it at the moment, might happen in 2-3 years if Barca can stabilize themselves.
Maybe he extend his contract with another clause, just a bigger sum of money or a specific club in mind.

He could probably make the most money staying in Germany tbh, given the marketing potential.

Unless PSG/Chelsea/City ponies up 15m+ a year.

Kill3r7

What?

jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif

That statement doesn't even make any sense. Napoli would be a top 4 team in Bundesliga and probably La Liga as well. Juve would finish top 4 in any league top league. What Serie A lacks is money. They need an influx of rich owners.

TeddyBoy

Agreed. But Giroud is made of fucking titanium, whereas Sturridge won't play close to 45-50 games. I don't want to be stuck with just Lambert, and I doubt Rodgers does either. I'd be fine with a loan deal for Eto'o, he was fine towards the tail end of the season, and he's not coming from some barren wasteland like Russia again; he knows the league and I'd guess he'd know his place in the team too.

Have a sickening feeling we'll still go for Bony though.

If we don't bring in another striker then we won't sell (or loan out) Borini.

Sturridge, Lambert, Borini

That's pretty decent cover for one position even if Borini isn't ideal. I don't really want Eto'o here but he would be a cheap alternative for a year while Origi develops, but we'd then have to replace Lambert in a couple years so we'd face a similar issue we have now (although we would probably be able to deal with that issue then).

Ideally we'd sign a player who has these qualities:
good technical footballer
already developed
fits into our formations
relatively fast
happy to sit on the bench when Sturridge is fit

For me that would mean either Remy or Balotelli (providing Balo knew he's second choice before coming here). Remy isn't happening.

If we got Balotelli on loan for a year then that would be perfect, we could make sure he doesn't do anything daft for a year and then sign him next season providing he delivers the goals he almost certainly would (even if a few of his goals at Milan were penalties).

Bony doesn't really fit the mould since he's not that quick and would command a fairly large transfer fee for someone who has only been in the league a year.

Falcao would certianly be a great signing but that means that Sturridge gets dropped to the bench and I personally don't want to see that happen. Sturridge got messed around at City and Chelsea and has one of the best goal rates at Liverpool ever. We should reward his goals with caps, not replace him with Falcao (who'd surely never agree to be put on the bench).

What do MilanGAF think of Borini? He won't go to Sunderland and we really want to sell this window.

Pennywise

He could probably make the most money staying in Germany tbh, given the marketing potential.

Unless PSG/Chelsea/City ponies up 15m+ a year.

As Milch pointed already out, it's not about money for him.
PSG isn't interesting and City either, as long as they don't constantly go for the CL title.

Meier

Anyway, Origi impressions:

I don't know what he did on the left. He feels more like striker material to me. He had a couple of good moves during the game, but he was isolated and was marked well the whole game. I think a year on loan will do him good because he will get decent play time. He has good pace and seems not to get overly stressed. It was a bit difficult to get a full perspective because Porto were the better team throughout the game.
Last season he actually rarely played as a CF/striker at Lille -- mostly as a winger. That's part of the reason why it was such a surprise that he was brought in to replace an out and out central forward like Benteke. Initially I expected they were bringing in Lopes on loan as a replacement for Origi when it was known he'd be sold.

Lol @ the article on the Daily Mail about Rojo and Kun having a falling out due to the World Cup. Rojo invited an old boyfriend (El Polaco, pop artist) of Kun's girlfriend (Karina, a pop artist) to the dressing room and Kun took offense apparently. The two of them have a 4-year old together apparently. Look at this Slim Shady looking guy.

el-polaco.jpeg
8471.jpg

What?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/031/736/jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif?1377793573[/IMG

That statement doesn't even make any sense. Napoli would be a top 4 team in Bundesliga and probably La Liga as well. Juve would finish top 4 in any league top league. What Serie A lacks is money. They need an influx of rich owners.[/QUOTE]

We have two Killer7's in here now.

sohois

Falcao would certianly be a great signing but that means that Sturridge gets dropped to the bench and I personally don't want to see that happen. Sturridge got messed around at City and Chelsea and has one of the best goal rates at Liverpool ever. We should reward his goals with caps, not replace him with Falcao (who'd surely never agree to be put on the bench).

What do MilanGAF think of Borini? He won't go to Sunderland and we really want to sell this window.

If Falcao were signed Liverpool would just go back to the 2 striker formation they played for the second half of last season, even if Falcao doesn't fit in like Sturridge does.

For as much as hpye as Sterling receives, Sturridge is Liverpool's best player and Rodgers would just find a way to fit him and Falcao into an XI.

What?

jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif

That statement doesn't even make any sense. Napoli would be a top 4 team in Bundesliga and probably La Liga as well. Juve would finish top 4 in any league top league. What Serie A lacks is money. They need an influx of rich owners.

Napoli wouldn't finish top 4 in La liga with Bilbao, Sociedad and Sevilla challenging.

As Milch pointed already out, it's not about money for him.
PSG isn't interesting and City either, as long as they don't constantly go for the CL title.

You don't think he'd be tempted if PSG offered Zlatan money? They won't ofc, but he'd be a fool not to at least thinkg about it really really hard.

€20m a year m8.

fuenf

Dortmund is getting two large stockholders tomorrow with Puma and Signal Iduna, which will bring about 110m €.

Not sure what to think about Puma :x

Watzke is still mad at Nike, Adidas is not happening and the rest is even worse than Puma. Guess it makes sense if Puma wants do do it.

Also, fuck the money. Throw it all at Reus (and Hummels)
TGNz0rC.png

Congratz Dortmund on becoming more and more like Bayern
you wish! ;)

awesome deal for your team, tho! Let's rock the CL together.

Meier

Napoli wouldn't finish top 4 in La liga with Bilbao, Sociedad and Sevilla challenging.

Napoli have a good team and a lot of money behind them. Sevilla would not challenge them. Sociedad have lost one of their best players the past two summers.. they probably will have a tough season. Athletic Club are having a nice renaissance, but again, over the course of a season, I can't imagine Napoli finishing below them.

Serie A is having difficulty, but their upper tier teams are still quite good.

Lakitu

st5fu
Usually at this point of the season I'd be very excited but I've been feeling very unwell recently, going to get some tests done tomorrow or Friday but I'm expecting bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom