• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's official: http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/coventry-city-return-ricoh-arena-announcement-210814-1849840.aspx

Coventry City Football Club has agreed a deal to return to the Ricoh Arena.

The two-year deal, with an option for an extra two years, should see the Sky Blues play at the Ricoh Arena for the first time in the league against Gillingham.

Steve Waggott, development director at Coventry City FC, said: “We are delighted to get this deal done and I am sure every supporter of Coventry City will be thrilled with this news.

“We are under no illusion what a difficult 12 months it has been for the supporters and that was uppermost in our thinking as we worked to get this deal done.

“There has had to be compromise on both sides and the commercial details of the deal will remain confidential.

“Now it is all about looking forward to a really exciting season back in the community and with a real chance of success. I am sure every supporter will want to give Steven Pressley, his staff and players their full backing for the season at the Ricoh.

“Logistically, it’s going to mean a huge amount of work between now and the first game back and we would ask supporters to bear with us as all of our efforts up to now have been in getting this deal over the line to get us back to Coventry as soon as possible.

6th of September it is then.

Arnie

Giroud is better than ballotelli.
Maybe.

Maybe not.

I don't think Giroud is that bad.

But the point of Balotelli is he's here to complement our main man D Studge who's absolutely better than every striker you have and by some margin.

FootballFan

BvjZDaGCIAA3ROb.jpg
Fake.

He got a red in like the 60th minute.

Tegris

In a world where Shane Long is £12 million and Fabio Borini is £14 million, £16 million for Balotelli is a fairly canny deal.

Another point - the transfer fees he's commanded so far in his career have been:

Inter to Manchester City: €22m
Manchester City to Milan: €20m
Milan to Liverpool: €20m

His value has stayed pretty much constant, and it's not like the purchasing club in each case hasn't known that he's an absolute nutcase. He'd have to do something unbelievably stupid to severely reduce his value over the next couple of years, which is probably the length of time we'll keep him for (the club have clearly been targeting a short-term solution and he doesn't typically stick around for long at any one club).

Another point - the transfer fees he's commanded so far in his career have been:

Inter to Manchester City: €22m
Manchester City to Milan: €20m
Milan to Liverpool: €20m

His value has stayed pretty much constant, and it's not like the purchasing club in each case hasn't known that he's an absolute nutcase. He'd have to do something unbelievably stupid to severely reduce his value over the next couple of years, which is probably the length of time we'll keep him for (the club have clearly been targeting a short-term solution and he doesn't typically stick around for long at any one club).

The first two also had a lot of bonuses. I am sure he must have triggered them at Man City, so the reall fee is most likely a bit higher

See, this is the error right there. Balotelli complementing anyone is such a crazy idea. That's not how he rolls.

Ah you're right.

I loved it when Balo played against us when he was in Manchester City. He could be great on the pitch but his attitude just disrupted City's offense. He thinks he's a one man army.

Zabojnik

He complemented Aguero and Dzeko at City. He scored bags of important goals. They won the league.

I'm pretty sure that's not how he sees himself now. Everything is possible of course, especially if he goes from 4M€ to 6M€ salary, that might help subdue him a bit. I really, really doubt it. He's such a foreign object.

Tegris

The first two also had a lot of bonuses. I am sure he must have triggered them at Man City, so the reall fee is most likely a bit higher

You may be right, but I just took the figures off Wikipedia (which did mention the fact that bonuses were excluded). Either way, I can't see us losing a huge amount on him.

Well, I hope you Liverpool fans are right because I'd be horrified if he joined United.

He sounds like a great guy to be friends with though, just a dick on the pitch.

L1NETT

Thanks. It's a shame it's such a mundane match on which to return.

How rude. When Cody Mcdonald bangs in a hattrick you won't be calling it mundane

But yeah congrats to both of you

I will be coming down throughout the season to watch some games, should be cracking

Fry

Imagine:

He debuts against City. It's 70 and it's 0-0.

He scores in the 89th minute.

He takes his LFC shirt off;

'Why always me'

Omg

seems we are buying Balo, well we do need cover..., just for a laugh could you imagine if we got Falcao on a year loan too on top of that, I may not be the biggest fans of both but my god that front line up....

Manager

Regarding the Balotelli fees. It was always about buying potential for both City and Milan, what Balotelli potentially could be. Now he's 24 and if he keeps up with the same shit, he won't continue being a €20m player.

Don't worry about what he did at Milan, like Manager said before the English media are going to love making stories about him again.

It's not really about what he did, exactly, those stories will just follow him, probably until he stops playing. He debunked most of them publicly but no one cared.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Balotelli is not and will never be a team player.

he'll sink your Avengers battleship

310px-PAC-KS-Detr%C3%A1s.png

HE'S THE HULK

Bumhead

Banned
The Ricoh is probably my least favourite ground in the country, but it's crucial Coventry get back playing there and hopefully they can get out of that division and put the past few years of ridiculous limbo behind them.

How much have the club been charging to watch games in Northampton? It'd be brilliant if they could get the ticket prices low and full it out for their return.

I'm not even disgusted or angry anymore. Kinda just... resigned. Curious to see if we do anything or nothing.

I'll probably get the rage back when we're 3-1 down to Sunderland this weekend, but until then I'm just tired of all this rumour mongering.

It still sucks and hurts. All the excitement from 1 month ago is gone :(

Walshy

Regarding the Balotelli fees. It was always about buying potential, what Balotelli potentially could be. Now he's 24 and if he keeps up with the same shit, he won't continue being a €20m player.
By his record, Balotelli could be classed as a good striker.

30 goals in 54 games is a very decent record. I think in the EPL, the only players who have bettered his scoring record in Serie A was Sturridge and Suarez.

He can be much better though.

Manager

If he has two seasons at Liverpool and scores over 15 goals in each I'm not arsed if he then subsequently leaves.

We'd get just as much for him as we paid, considering we're buying him at a snip.

That's what every team buying him hopes, but he's never scored 15 goals in the league before. If he did it in Premier League he could be a huge success and maybe turn into the striker everyone hoped he would, but he hasn't yet. He scored 1 goal in 14 matches the season he left City.

Manager

By his record, Balotelli could be classed as a good striker.

30 goals in 54 games is a very decent record. I think in the EPL, the only players who have bettered his scoring record in Serie A was Sturridge and Suarez.

He can be much better though.

No one at City would ever say he's not a good striker, because he is. He was sold because he was more trouble than he was worth. Personalities like Dzeko and Negredo (and obviously Aguero) has been better for City compared to for example Tevez and Balotelli in the long run, building stability.

Scholes article is damning, unrealistic and somewhat pointless to write a week or so before the window shuts, he knows we cant do that type of business, no-one could in the time left.

The thing is it the business shouldn't have to be done in the time left, it should've been done in all the time we've already wasted..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom