• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

Esch

Banned
RehanArsenal: Colombian football presenter, Palema Gutièrrez, said on live TV that Falcao has turned down City & Madrid for Arsenal, set to sign tomorrow.

Seriously. Ugh transfer deadline day. SHIT WILL BE COMING FROM ALL SIDES

just stop it man sh1t aint happening

I think our business is done. At worst, Cech could move.

I almost wish he would leave. Deserves to be playing as the first team keeper for a good club, although if he's happy fighting for the spot playing cup matches and such for a year or just until January I guess that will be cool too.

Croyles

The same thing is going to happen to Di Maria. You'll see.

Kagawa would shine at any other pl club

It frustrates me to no end. I'm no United fan, but think how much better they could of been as a team even when they last won the PL if they actually did these basics properly!

No pass & move and players fucking staring at their feet when in possession (something you're supposed to unlearn in like 5th grade).

I don't even think they need Di Maria.

Saw glimpses of it in pre-season.

Plasma

Banned
These rumours are going to hurt the most when we end up signing Sagbo for £2m at 11pm.

I don't have any hopes for Falcao, I just hope if we are going for him and we cock it up we do have a good backup plan in place. We can't do what we did last season when we missed out on Ba with Giroud out and Bendtner gone.

I almost wish he would leave. Deserves to be playing as the first team keeper for a good club, although if he's happy fighting for the spot playing cup matches and such for a year or just until January I guess that will be cool too.

Real Madrid need a keeper

Could get 10mil out of him really.....

Why am I not an agent?

subtles

What a crazy weekend of footy.

Moreno's goal was sublime. Never start Johnson over Manquillo again. Feels good to get things back on track.

The biggest surprise for me was Madrid being so comprehensively defeated. (That and City losing to Hughes after last week.)

wedward

I really don't think Wenger is signing anyone. It was Remy or bust, tbh. Should've offloaded Campbell the moment the World Cup ended and brought in Remy. Even if Campbell turns out to be good, better to trade an unknown commodity for a known one.

We'll get Big Willy C

He'll go until January I think, Courtois will sign a new deal after the window shuts and then Cech will move to PSG or something, perhaps we will get a midfielder back too.

I still think Ruddy is the long-term intention to be our number 2 behind Courtois, makes a lot of sense for quotas having an english back-up

Arnie

How many of you would move to a company you'd consider as a step down and take a pay cut in the process?

Think we can get a bit hypocritical when talking about footballers. They're humans. These are jobs. Cleverley doesn't strike me as the philosophical type. He isn't thinking about this holistically and we shouldn't expect that from him.

Yen

The Times:
Inter want to sign Borini. Liverpool won't accept a loan (which was offered)
Coates to Sunderland on loan.

How many of you would move to a company you'd consider as a step down and take a pay cut in the process?

Think we can get a bit hypocritical when talking about footballers. They're humans. These are jobs. Cleverley doesn't strike me as the philosophical type. He isn't thinking about this holistically and we shouldn't expect that from him.

But he's asking for 2x his current wage.

LAM09

I don't think the door is closed on him being our first choice GK, but it's going to be tough. I personally don't see him going, as he seems like someone who will fight for his place.

If the worst happens, he will probably be off to France.

Wilbur

Banned

There's a difference when it's between 30 and 40k a year, and 30 and 40k a week.

As well as the fact that Cleverley won't be 'working' much if he does stay. Clearly not a first choice. You think he'd want to go play.

We don't know if he's being given a pay cut though, just that he's asking for his salary to be doubled.

I agree anyhow, and as I pointed out before there will be other reasons.

But on the other hand, if all you had to do was sit around all day and do nothing at this prestigious company, wouldn't that be shit? Especially as footballers only have a certain amount of shelf-life physically.

Plus the wages we're discussing are still ridiculous, he won't notice it in his bank balance unless he's a moron with it and who knows, he might even get back in the England team too.

If I were him i'd have gone to Valencia personally, if I thought I could handle moving countries.

Salvadora

I don't have any hopes for Falcao, I just hope if we are going for him and we cock it up we do have a good backup plan in place. We can't do what we did last season when we missed out on Ba with Giroud out and Bendtner gone.

I think both Carvalho and Falcao are paper talk fed by agents.

It's just plain shit that Arsenal, with a huge scouting network, have had months to sort this out (if not longer) and have came up with jack shit.

The excuses don't fly.

10665795_971530836192klsbb.jpg

Beautiful

Also:
10605999_708817309165wlsi0.jpg

Welcome back bro! So happy! #morethanfriends

More than friends?
ix5hNAArIgXiW.png

And:
Shinji on BVB.de:
"I already said in an interview on the evening of my departure that the chapter Borussia Dortmund isn't finished for me. I wanted to fullfill a dream of mine in the Premier League. Now I'm just happy to be back in Dortmund. With this great team, this incredible environment, these unique fans. BVB is like a family. I'm proud that I haven't been forgotten and am allowed to be part of it again."

It's okay, Shinji-babe <3

Think it's more a case of does he think he'll get offered more now or in a year's time when he leaves on a free and has been sitting in the reserves/bench all year.

I think both Carvalho and Falcao are paper talk fed by agents.

It's just plain shit that Arsenal, with a huge scouting network, have had months to sort this out (if not longer) and have came up with jack shit.

The excuses don't fly.

Arsene Wenger does this every single year..... It's a shame really

I bet you sign someone big in January though, just one.

pappe

10665795_971530836192klsbb.jpg

Beautiful

Also:
10605999_708817309165wlsi0.jpg

Welcome back bro! So happy! #morethanfriends

More than friends?
ix5hNAArIgXiW.png

And:
Shinji on BVB.de:
"I already said in an interview on the evening of my departure that the chapter Borussia Dortmund isn't finished for me. I wanted to fullfill a dream of mine in the Premier League. Now I'm just happy to be back in Dortmund. With this great team, this incredible environment, these unique fans. BVB is like a family. I'm proud that I haven't been forgotten and am allowed to be part of it again."

It's okay, Shinji-babe <3

Its ok. Shinji is not cutout to be an EPL player.

Can we have Reus so that he can fulfil his dream and send him back in a few years. We will give you Rooney in exchange.

P44

Idk we could play him in DM instead of Blind, which frees Blind up to play LWB/LB until Shaw is fit and we won't have to fucking play Young there. Then hopefully we'll have a good rotation of decent midfielders so Fletcher doesn't have to play and since Carrick won't be back for a while.

Oh well.

I figured Carrick's back a few weeks after the break, shaw is back after the break, and so blind can play DM.

L1NETT

He's a footballer. He should be wanting to play football

I know it's still their job but it's hard to apply "normal" thinking when you are talking about a vast amount of money and a vast amount of money + 10 grand a week.

Splitting hairs relatively when his first thought should be doing his job at all...playing football

He's going to leave the club tmrw. Van Gaal has told him he is not part of the plans.

It's just a matter of whether he goes on loan or on a transfer. Cleverley has some power to exert in this situation and this is him exerting it. He obviously isn't crazy about going to Villa or he'd be there already.

rossonero

Happy last 24 hours of muppetry 2014 guys! Will be exciting, I even expect Milan to make some moves. And no, De Jong is not going to Utd.

Arnie

But he's asking for 2x his current wage.
Perhaps he feels that such an increase would offset the professional regression that is a move from Manchester United to Aston Villa.
There's a difference when it's between 30 and 40k a year, and 30 and 40k a week.

As well as the fact that Cleverley won't be 'working' much if he does stay. Clearly not a first choice. You think he'd want to go play.
I don't agree with the first point.

Money is money and human's crave it more than anything. Cleverley is securing his living for the next four years and he wants to live a certain lifestyle, just like we would when negotiating a contract.

Secondly I'm sure Cleverley believes he can make an impact in the United first team; you've only got about two midfielders and he's been part of a successful squad in the recent past.
We don't know if he's being given a pay cut though, just that he's asking for his salary to be doubled.

I agree anyhow, and as I pointed out before there will be other reasons.
Glad you agree.

And I hope you see why he'd want a wage increase, too.
But on the other hand, if all you had to do was sit around all day and do nothing at this prestigious company, wouldn't that be shit? Especially as footballers only have a certain amount of shelf-life physically.

Plus the wages we're discussing are still ridiculous, he won't notice it in his bank balance unless he's a moron with it and who knows, he might even get back in the England team too.

If I were him i'd have gone to Valencia personally, if I thought I could handle moving countries.
See above, I think I've addressed these points.

Essentially I disagree. We can't expect footballers to live within our financial reference frame. Not can we expect them to see their own professional worth as us punters do.

Cleverley isn't sat around, as a United fan, dreading the next time he's selected.

Its ok. Shinji is not cutout to be an EPL player.

Can we have Reus so that he can fulfil his dream and send him back in a few years. We will give you Rooney in exchange.

No offense but I don't think many young German players dream of playing for Manchester United.

Sure, you're a big club but I have the impression that United (or any English club) isn't as popular here as it is in Japan for example. It's either Bayern if they want to stay in Germany or Real/Barca. I'd say Arsenal is probably the most popular PL club here.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
With he few games we play this year we really should be able to maintain a week in week out first team with minimal rotation, this means if we can get a first team playing well a run of good results is not out of the question, second half of the season could be really good for us, if we are not too far off the pace.

No offense but I don't think many young German players dream of playing for Manchester United.

Sure, you're a big club but I have the impression that United (or any English club) isn't as popular here as it is in Japan. It's either Bayern if they want to stay in Germany or Real/Barca. Arsenal is probably the most popular PL club here.

Man united have never signed a German. Just to put that out there lol

pappe

I'm still not convinced. Injuries could really fuck us. :(
We should let one of Roo, RVP and Mata go. Preferably Rooney but that not going to happen and selling one of them will also hamper the morale around the club.

Seliing Rooney and getting De Jong will be the best business we do.

Sure, you're a big club but I have the impression that United (or any English club) isn't as popular here as it is in Japan for example. It's either Bayern if they want to stay in Germany or Real/Barca. I'd say Arsenal is probably the most popular PL club here.

Gotze already revealed Reus' heart.

He dreams of Manchester United.

Top Bottom