• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

jtb

Banned
Spend reasonably in positions that do desperately need strengthening.

Don't spend astronomically and without long-term considerations in positions that don't require it.

Clubs have to think about all possible outcomes.

I wasn't in my undies glued to my laptop yesterday, so correct me if I'm wrong, but despite Falcao being a loan isn't there a feeling that the deal to sign him permanently is somewhat included? Like, isn't he there for the forseeable future.

A 29/30 year old on £350k per week at a club without Champions League football is suicide. Especially when he has no reason to leave and is too old for someone to offer him a better deal.

Any United fan that thinks their club are getting back into the Champions League this season has their head in the clouds. As such, a signing in a position that didn't desperately need strengthening seems ludicrous.

We'll see, I'm obviously going against the status quo with this one and as United's official wine sponsor has declared I'm once again talking shit, so perhaps this is just another of those shit predictions I make.

Falcao is going to become a real strain on United's finances in the not too distant future.

They may as well spend it now or risk losing it all when their next commercial deal is up for renewal. Austerity is overrated. They have the money. Was it the best allocation of funds? probably not. But they're adding a very good player to their squad. That's bound to have some impact.

Esch

Banned
Just seen Rooney's presser.

Honestly baffles me how this man has become captain of England and Man United.

He can barely form sentences. Like I know you don't need to be a great orator to be a captain but jeez. Nobody is listening to him thinking, "YES WAYNE, I WILL FOLLOW!"

why do people ask this question?

its because he's white, he's a good player and he sells shirts

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm not sure if you're joking or not. You've already recommended it, I've seen it, liked it too. <3

:lol OH right

sorry, a FootballFan moment there

Give us a genre Zabo! Help us help you

You kept Vidal. What more do you want from me? TAKE IT ALL!

i-dont-want-a-life-i-just-want-you_650.gif

Salvadora

Us getting top 4, I believe, is dependant on how well Arsenal and Liverpool do, I fully expect one of you to run away with third, the other will be 4th come new year. I think in the new year we are going to do very well indeed, if we arent too far off the pace.

I think the 4/5 race will be exciting than the 1-2 tbh :3
It's all very much in flux.

We've yet to see how Liverpool cope with the sheer amount of games that come with competing in the Champions League and going further in the cups. Arsenal look out of sorts and are experiencing a wobble in terms of performances right now. United look extremely haphazard in defence among other things. Very much dependant on new signings hitting the ground running. Blind, for example, is coming from the Eredivisie. Rojo from Portugal and might have difficulty getting a work permit.

Kikarian

Spend reasonably in positions that do desperately need strengthening.

Don't spend astronomically and without long-term considerations in positions that don't require it.

Clubs have to think about all possible outcomes.

I wasn't in my undies glued to my laptop yesterday, so correct me if I'm wrong, but despite Falcao being a loan isn't there a feeling that the deal to sign him permanently is somewhat included? Like, isn't he there for the forseeable future.

A 29/30 year old on £350k per week at a club without Champions League football is suicide. Especially when he has no reason to leave and is too old for someone to offer him a better deal.

Any United fan that thinks their club are getting back into the Champions League this season has their head in the clouds. As such, a signing in a position that didn't desperately need strengthening seems ludicrous.

We'll see, I'm obviously going against the status quo with this one and as United's official wine sponsor has declared I'm once again talking shit, so perhaps this is just another of those shit predictions I make.

Falcao is going to become a real strain on United's finances in the not too distant future.
That is his tax-free Monaco salary. We're paying a lot less than that.

I doubt we're getting into champions league this season, but we've laid off a lot of wages in this window so we'll see what the outcome is.

Just to clarify, all the reports on Falcao's salary have it at £265k (one is like £190k even, but that's JJ so fuck that) and the fee next summer is £35m-£41m.

It's alot of money. Crazy money. Call it whatever you want.

But it is entirely affordable for United. Even after this summer's deals, our wage:turnover ratio will still be the lowest in the league.

Should have just spent it on Vidal...but yeah.

Zabojnik

going on the coen brothers trend, seen Inside Llewyn Davis yet? went in expecting to hate it, it's actually brilliant.

Not yet, for the very same reason, even though it should be right my alley. Might finally bite.

My bad, seven psychopaths? Or still to obvious? Haha

Non-obvious enough! I've already seen it though.

Think I'll go with The Three Burials, unless someone comes up with a better one.

Like, I wouldn't mind a decent horror flick. Saw Oculus the other day. It wasn't anything special, quite the contrary, really, but I still enjoyed it and developed a temporary taste for the genre. Any good recent ones?

Salvadora

That is his tax-free Monaco salary. We're paying a lot less than that.
Is this another #thefullamount case where people take the lowest amount as fact?

Telegraph, for example, are saying £346,000.

I'm really not sure why a professional in the prime of his career would take a substantial pay-cut to join another team not in the Champions League. Like, just, why.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It's all very much in flux.

We've yet to see how Liverpool cope with the sheer amount of games that come with competing in the Champions League and going further in the cups. Arsenal look out of sorts and are experiencing a wobble in terms of performances right now. United look extremely haphazard in defence among other things. Very much dependant on new signings hitting the ground running. Blind, for example, is coming from the Eredivisie. Rojo from Portugal and might have difficulty getting a work permit.

Thats why I think if we arent too far off at Christmas we can do it, I think surviving to Christmas in the hunt with positive improvements, picking up points and getting some consistency will be key. We can fill a few holes in Jan and no-one can tell me if we keep people fit that we shouldnt be able to capitalise on having no fucking games from now till May, we should have a fit team, training a week before every game with +5/6 months experience playing together going into the close of the season when all the top teams are playing CL/Carling/FA/Europa/PL games.

So long as we remain competitive and so long as one team out of the top5 slips who isnt us, I have alot of faith for CL football next year.

As for titles/2nd or even 3rd, I think we will just have too much to do come Christmas.

Go_Ly_Dow

United may very well brute force top 4 with the sheer quality of attacking talent, but this sort of feels like the point of no return.

£350,000 p/w wages, a commitment to spend £55m next summer on Falcao, Luke Shaw, Di Maria and so forth.

Ignoring the defence (especially CB) and CM (to a degree) is pretty criminal and stands a good chance of biting them in the arse this season.

LVG wants to get the best out of our defenders that have yet to feature (raf, shaw and rojo) and instill some confidence in to the likes of Smalling, Jones and Evans.

We actually conceded the same amount of goals last season (13/14) in the league as the 12/13 season. 43.

Let's see what happens.

LegoArmo

£265k a week, £41m total fee for the best striker in the world?

Sounds about right to me, I'd have to agree with the wine guy.

Arnie

With each week that passes and each set of points dropped United's financial sustainability drops with it. The second season outside of the Champions League is a different ballgame. You'll see.

Clegg

If anyone is looking for a new football podcast to listen to then I'd like to recommend 'Second Captains'. They spend a bit more time discussing football than the Football Weekly lads who I think have veered too much into "bantz" territory.

Its an Irish podcast so they spend some time talking about the domestic game, but its still mostly Premier League based. They do two shows a week. One is about Gaelic games and the other about football. Skip the GAA pod if you're not interested.

Fintan

If anyone is looking for a new football podcast to listen to then I'd like to recommend 'Second Captains'. They spend a bit more time discussing football than the Football Weekly lads who I think have veered too much into "bantz" territory.

Its an Irish podcast so they spend some time talking about the domestic game, but its still mostly Premier League based. They do two shows a week. One is about Gaelic games and the other about football. Skip the GAA pod if you're not interested.
Yeah. It's great. Been listening to them since their Newstalk days. I like how they go more in depth on a few specific things. And Ken is really funny and can usually find some interesting angles on things.

As far as I'm aware, they actually do two football shows a week and two general sports episodes a week.

Clegg

Yeah. It's great. Been listening to them since their Newstalk days. I like how they go more in depth on a few specific things. And Ken is really funny and can usually find some interesting angles on things.

As far as I'm aware, they actually do two football shows a week and two general sports episodes a week.
I listened to them when they did radio but have only recently gotten into the podcasts. Didn't know they did that many shows. Will hunt them down now though!

Fintan

I listened to them when they did radio but have only recently gotten into the podcasts. Didn't know they did that many shows. Will hunt them down now though!
Yeah! Last week was actually their 250th episode anniversary so they did 6 episodes. An interview with Bill O'Herlihy and an interview with David Baddiel.

Speaking of Bill O'Herlihy, I've always wondered how people in the UK would react to RTE's football coverage.

Top Bottom