• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Clegg

Take your coat and leave.

SgYahwF.png
See that hitch?

You don't have the monopoly on awful puns.

Yen

Just back from heading to a load of dive bars. At one point I was at the bar with someone who had Thomas Aquinas on the back of his football shirt.

EmiPrime

Anyone got an opinion on wireless headphones? All this banter reminded me I should probably stop using in-ear buds given I have tinnitus myself. Is there somewhere in central London I can try some out or is that gross.

Lightning

Banned
Hope Hodgson doesn't call up Walcott. Too early for that.

Gibbs, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Chambers and Welbeck should all get called though.

Portugeezer

I couldn't make it, but it was an incredible moment to watch live even if you were in China. But in the stadium must've been something else.

I must admit I had to revisit it right now. Insanity.

One of the Top 10 Porto moments I've lived I think. I'll make a list soon enough.

I mean, that season the team was subpar no doubt. But we couldn't lose the league to Benfica at home and we didn't.

I think we paid the price the next season though. The league was a clusterfuck but it was especially bitter to lose the cups the way we did :/
It was truly amazing. Benfica trying to waste time the whole match, Porto scored so late and they had no time to react. We basically stole the league title from their grasp and won the league on that night, Jesus' reaction says it all, one match remaining which we would never lose.

Wasn't so good getting stadium chairs thrown towards me and literally hitting me, got lucky to just walk away with a scratch in the end... it was worth it to be there.

Still need to laminate my ticket lol.

You're right though, our team to win that season was a struggle, the season after was a piece of shit, but we're back, looking decent in most areas (dodgy defence though)

Scum

I still can't wrap my head around on Barca losing.

How

Why

What!

Barca's midfield is dead, that's why.

Messi's doing his and Xavi's job now.
Iniesta isn't as sharp as he use to be and now he's injured.
Xavi's been dead for more than two seasons now.
Busquets is slow with play but doesn't get the defensive help he needs because...
...Mascherano spends his time as a CB to cover for Pique and Alves who are both dead.

Barca should have kept Alexis and spent the Suarez money on two new CBs & a defensive minded RB. Should have stolen Koke too.

tri_willy

The slip will be my end on this forum. Poetic, really.

I was close to a permanent ban following it and I'll no doubt request one in the coming months when Liverpool's situation looks comparatively dire.

I'll make sure to leave you all a lovely message before I go, though.

I've been here since 2007. Sometimes you just have to let go.

arnie noooooooooooooooooo

GorillaJu

Barca lost for the same reason Liverpool have been losing. Not enough positivity and energy in the midfield. Too much dwelling on the ball, too little action.

Unbelievable.. We have scored 37 goals and conceded 10. That takes our Goal Difference to +27. Barcelona is in second place in the league in terms of most goals scored: 23, Valencia is tied having scored 23 goals as well - oh and tightening our defensive line-up playing 4-4-2 isn't too shabby either.

What a time to be alive, all is right in the world.

Hala Madrid!

Unbelievable.. We have scored 37 goals and conceded 10. That takes our Goal Difference to +27. Barcelona is in second place in the league in terms of most goals scored: 23, Valencia is tied having scored 23 goals as well - oh and tightening our defensive line-up playing 4-4-2 isn't too shabby either.

What a time to be alive, all is right in the world.

Hala Madrid!

This team is better than La Decima team.

I want to test it against Chelsea and Bayern. So good.

This team is better than La Decima team.

I want to test it against Chelsea and Bayern. So good.

It's too early to say something like that. Maybe the team is peaking really early, maybe it isn't. The point is it's too early to make that comparison.

People were saying the same shit with Bayern last season.

GorillaJu

You know I think Liverpool fans expect way too much from Origi. He's just another 19 year old, and he's coming from another league. He's a very good player, but pinning all our hopes on him coming in and transforming our team is dangerous thinking.

I really think if we want to see an immediate impact, we need a Firmino, Volland or Reus.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So how's everybody?

I'm watching Cabin in the Woods for the first time and uh.....wat.
It was the good kind of wat!
Why do I have to go to work?

Why?
I know, right? Just got back from an awesome trip, and I just don't feel like doing anything ;_; but we have to, if you wanna afford another awesome trip.

and by trip I don't mean LSD
Empoli 0 - 2 Juve
thumb_hgl_empoli.jpg

0-1 Andrea Pirlo
njibsa.gif

0-2 Alvaro 'Elbuyback' Morata
snocri.gif

dkmebo.gif

---

If we play against Olympiakos as we did against Empoli and Sassuolo, we are DEAD. Which we probably will, seeing how Morata is currently the only player with any pace in our team. Not a single one of our midfielders in anywhere near on acceptable form at the moment, except maybe Marchisio, but not really. Pirlo is dead, Vidal is half-dead, Pogba has been frustratingly cold-hot in the past two months. Tevez seems to be going through a slump, Llorente hasn't hit his stride yet. And knowing Allegri, Morata will probably get benched again. What's more, both Ogbonna and Asamoah got injured yesterday and are in doubt, so, yeah. We'll probably be forced to field Padoin. In a decisive CL match.

Europe League fo' life.
...wait, so we sucked despite winning again? :( and here I thought that my curse* was finally broken. We did lose to Genoa though looooooooooooool.

*we (almost) always drops points when I miss our games

Zabojnik

...wait, so we sucked despite winning again? :(

Quite. I honestly don't see us winning against Olympiakos. Our midfield is dead and we're getting absolutely NOTHING from the wings. The only way I see us scoring is from a FK/corner or a Morata counter. Knowing our CL luck though ... Yeah.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
i aint no snitch, homie
Snitch
(Today, 06:49 AM)

DUDE what the hell happened to your face :lol :lol

giphy.gif

Quite. I honestly don't see us winning against Olympiakos. Our midfield is dead and we're getting absolutely NOTHING from the wings. The only way I see us scoring is from a FK/corner or a Morata counter. Knowing our CL luck though ... Yeah.

I genuinely don't care anymore :lol let's just draw and crash out so we can sack Allegri, sell Artorias and I can go out on Tuesdays again already

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I enjoyed Vanilla Sky so much back in the day.

"I see you in another life. When we're both cats."

Alright Penelope :3

now why would anyone want to be a cat

I would just jump under the nearest bus immediately to start another life

hopefully not as a Bayern or a Barca fan though.

or fucking Juve, man. ONE life as a Juventino is more than enough (punishment).

hopefully not as a Bayern and a Barca fan though.

or fucking Juve, man. ONE life as a Juventino is more than enough
YURTTTTT

Where the fuck have you been.

Wilbur was a wreck without you.

Blablurn

hopefully not as a Bayern and a Barca fan though.

or fucking Juve, man. ONE life as a Juventino is more than enough

Back in the 90s I had an Italian friend. He was AC Milan fan. I admired that so much. Italian football was the shit back then. And in the 00s I feared Juve because every time we played them we lost. Fucking dead Delle Alpi haha. It was the worst.

But look at you guys now : (

Where did it go wrong, Yurt? Where?

TeddyBoy

What on earth should I do ?
Dortmund is 17th....
Seppuku ?
No.
We will rise again Arnie, we will.
So will Moyes though.

We'll go together.

I'll hold a picture of Brenny and you can clutch Kloppo.

So I've been thinking about Liverpool's results recently and how we're slowly losing touch with fourth place. If we lose at home with Chelsea next weekend we'll be potentially 6 points off of fourth and a staggering 15 off of first after just eleven games.

When Rodgers first came in he had some clear season by season goals for his original three year contract.

2012-2013: Challenge for Champions league places.
2013-2014: Achieve Champions League place.
2014-2015: Challenge for the league title.

Now Rodgers just about kept his job after the first season thanks to his 2013 form. Last year we obviously nearly won the title so he actually overachieved but this season is the total opposite. We're just about challenging for a champions league place but the league was already lost in September.

We have a potentially dangerous game against Madrid midweek with us almost certain to lose by a good margin given the nature of the Anfield fixture. This leaves us potentially facing the exit from the group stages and into the Europa league causing us to play Thursday nights and have an even more sluggish affect on the squad like we see with Spurs.

Now here's why I've quoted Penny. Since Dortmund lost to Bayern they are presently in the bottom three of the Bundesliga. Now when we appointed Rodgers he was firmly second choice behind Klopp.

If Dortmund sack Klopp and Liverpool lose to Chelsea and Madrid, I think the Liverpool board will sack Rodgers and move for Klopp in the international break.

This is the part you both call me crazy.

Top Bottom