• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Scum

B1wHavACAAAF58d.jpg

That sweeper all on his own. The keeper must be even more bored as hell.

jsEsxkl.png

Why is he picking Lambert anyway?

He made it into the England squad with Saints because he was consistently scoring and even then it took far too long for Roy to pick him

Now the guy spends all his time warming the bench at Liverpool but he's in?

Warming the bench at Liverpool shows 20x more talent than scoring for Saints

duh

Erm, but we did that already. Downing isn't new to the squad, we are well aware of what he can provide for England. I don't doubt he'll have a good game if played either, could wheel out all manner of shit and manage to get a result.

And if form is the reason, why not Harry Kane. Why Lambert? Why Henderson? Townsend? Rooney? Why most of the squad in fact.

Because its the squad that is getting him results.

Roy is a pragmatist, he's doing what he trusts to get results. And fair play to him, since the World Cup we've been winning without much fuss. That isn't quite enough for me given the teams we've played, but it is for him.

I'd rather have Kane over Lambert for sure, unless he has no intention of playing him. If that's the case, I'd rather Kane played for the U21s

And in a lot of our players' cases, there's simply nobody better. Henderson has been below standard this season, but who is there to replace him?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The (rich) Gentleman's Club

Fiorentina's Borja Valero reflects on his youth career at Real Madrid, slamming the club for a lack of loyalty and comparing the experience to the X Factor.

Valero began his career at the Bernabeu, but took aim at the club’s youth policy, comparing it unfavourably to reality TV.

“For me the game was fun but it stopped being like that when I joined Real Madrid’s training facility aged 11,” the former West Brom player told Marca.

“If I had not made it as a professional footballer then my analysis would have been far worse.

“As a youngster I lived with 300 other boys and 85 per cent of them did not make it. All of them sacrificed their adolescence for nothing. There was no loyalty.

“Those that were discarded you could see going off with their backpacks. It was stressful because it didn’t just depend on what you did on the pitch but on the opinion of the coaches.

“It was like the ‘X-Factor’, only there was no public there to save you.”

Valero also took aim at footballers who lose touch with everyday life, declaring that such players live ‘on another planet’, before professing his happiness at his low-key lifestyle in Florence.

“At Real they give you the best salary, a house, a car and a luxury watch. You live on another planet, at the top, but it’s not real football,” Valero explained.

“I had other offers [than Fiorentina] but none which gave me the opportunity to live in such a nice place [as Florence].

“At first when the game was over I just walked out of the stadium and nobody recognised me.

"Maybe people appreciate me because I do my shopping in the local supermarket, tidy my children’s room, or go round the city like any other tourist.

“I’m privileged. There are people working 12-hour days and we train for three.

“We must stop treating players like stars and take away this myth surrounding our work.”

Linius

Must say, I was sitting behind the goal yesterday and Cillessen also seems to enjoy long walks. At one point we had a corner kick and first he went for a drink, offered the sixth official some water too. Then he started walking, left his box and got to about 25 to 30 meters away from his goal :p

He's not really a sweeper keeper though, always returns in time. Too bad he made a mistake yesterday, otherwise a great game from him :(

Di Matteo complained about a penalty, ahahah. That´s hilarious, you bald cunt.

Another fantastic perfomance from Nani with a great simple assist for a Jefferson rocket...

animated.gif

and he scored an easy tap in after an outstanding run from Carrillo.

animated.gif

He´s already scored 3 goals in the Champions League, with 3 more scored in domestic competitions. With less than a third of the season gone by he has already reached his previous record of goals scored in a season for us (6) and is well on his way to break his person record of 10 goals in a season (in 10/11 and 11/12 at Man United). He´s probably on the best form of his life right now, this move has been extremely positive for him as I expected it to be. He´s feeling loved again, the supporters are behind him all the time and the squad looks up to him in terms of experience and for some of the younger players it has been a dream playing alongside him. He has truly brought back some magic to the club, at times we are playing some of the best football I´ve seen from us in the past decade.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If City finish on the same points as CSKA then they would lose the head to head, right? And finish 4th (assuming Roma get 2nd)?

Scum

I'd rather they finished third and got Europa.

They'd just disrespect it by not giving a shit. That's why I wish UEFA will make it the Top 2 to through and the bottom two to go out of Europe altigether. Maybe then, teams like Man City might fucking turn up and teams like Bayern & R. Madrid don't "give up" after 4 games.

Fintan

The last time Man City were in the Europa League they got knocked out pretty early. I think after one knockout round, so I doubt it would be a big factor in their season either way.

Clegg

Hopefully he keeps his form up because then we can ask for a higher fee.

Probably not many who'd actually pay a notable fee though. Think we can forget about selling to a PL club. Juve would pay in yearly installments over 15 seasons and the other European superclubs have no need of him. Maybe try to dupe one of the nouveau riche to take him? Inter or Valencia and the likes of those.

The last time Man City were in the Europa League they got knocked out pretty early. I think after one knockout round, so I doubt it would be a big factor in their season either way.

They beat Porto 6-1 (1-2 away and 4-0 at home) on first round and got eliminated by Sporting on away goals (1-0 at Alvalade and 3-2 in Manchester).

Poor bloke
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29938407
West Ham striker Elliot Lee has returned to his parent club after getting injured just 95 minutes into his Southend United loan spell.

The 19-year-old, son of former England player Rob Lee, tore a hamstring in his first Shrimpers training session.

Southend boss Phil Brown told BBC Essex: "The paperwork was done at 9:30 on Friday morning.

"We started the session at 10:30 - and at five past 11 he pulled up with a hamstring injury."

Top Bottom