• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Wilbur

Banned
Will break this up:

Anyone going to see Interstellar?

Don't Rises me Nolan, pls be good.

edit: whoops, was quoting from older page so didn't realise people were already talking about it.

Seeing it on Saturday with Arnie and WJD. 70mm IMAX. It's going to be sensational.

As I said, club form has been indicative of international form... when? Sometimes it is clear a player needs tactical assistance, or a formation that suits them or just the right run of games to build form. Sometimes it is obvious from day one that they are not cut out for that level and never will be. The likes of a Downing or Milner could get a 100 more caps and you're telling me you expect them to magically change in to better players? Nah, I disagree.

I don't expect them to magically change into better players. I do think it makes more sense to bring in a player full of confidence and playing well and add to that morale instead of bringing in a youngster who doesn't deserve a chance based on anything other than potential (and in the case of someone like Loftus-Cheek who you mentioned, has no experience whatsoever at the highest level).

What is the point of Downing playing 8 minutes? Is he going to be the answer when we have already looked at him? Clearly not. Powell at least can get exposure to the group and learn something from others, he has technique suited to international football. He has also been part of the youth system and is a natural progression to be in a squad. And I say this every qualification rounds and every time I get shot down. Then that player through injury, form or desperation ends up getting picked right at the end and gets heaps of pressure put on them. The likes of a Walcott, or Barkley, or Sterling... get thrown in usually rather than anything gradual. Suddenly that player is the answer to everything and tons of pressure put on them. If they are about the squad, it is not a big deal coming on as a sub or starting games later in the campaign.

International football is completely different to club football in this way though. There is no 'group', however much Leighton Baines might talk about it. You see them for a week every two months, and players come in and out of that group. If you are putting together this haphazard group of footballers and expecting them to play well together despite little to no time spent on a training pitch practising their cohesion, it only makes sense to bring a) the best players and b) the players performing well.

Tell me this Wilbs, how are English youth players expected to gain form in this league now exactly? They will either play at struggling clubs, in the championship or be loaned out from bigger clubs. Sometimes the odd random form will prop up a struggling club to higher in the table. Very few are getting chances, that is clear as day. England can't rely on the clubs to bring these players through anymore. Needs must. And it is a circular argument as well, as people say there are no top English players and yet English players aren't allowed to play at the top so yeah... no shit. If Barca were in the prem and just loaned out Messi every 6 months to championship clubs, he would adapt to become a championship player. I use him as an example, don't take it too literally. ;)

England youth players will be deemed good enough if they're good enough. Sterling was bought from QPR to play for a big club. Jay Rodriguez, Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert were all performing well enough at a 'smaller club' to get called up, same with Clyne. Chambers earned his move to Arsenal. The likes of Charlie Austin have been linked with call ups, Fabian Delph earned one, Will Hughes has been continually linked with bigger clubs.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with our youth set up, the chances offered to English youth, the separate issue of players just being in the squad and not getting a shot at the starting line up, don't get me wrong. But players have proved that if you're good enough and performing well enough you'll get the call, and that's how it should be. Not "well you may potentially be good enough, come hang around our training camp for a week and then go back to your club and play little to no minutes there either."

What form though, what is your long term goal of having him in there exactly? You're expecting to play him at the euros is that it? You're building a team around him, an impact sub... what? Form has nothing to do with it, this group is a farce, you could turn up drunk to every game and still flop over the line the way qualifying works now. I already said, I wouldn't be shocked if he had a good game. It would be hard not to, that isn't the point though. There is no rhyme or reason to it for when we actually get qualified.

If Downing played brilliantly for the next two seasons, it would be foolish not to take him to the Euros. Just as now, it's foolish not to include him when he deserves it.

If Nick Powell shows in training to Nigel Pearson he warrants more game time, then plays well enough to warrant more attention, then I'll vouch for his inclusion. As it stands, he isn't playing well enough and there's questions about his attitude. Downing is playing well for a team performing well. That's all there is to it, really.

I'd rather bring a player performing well than a player that isn't playing. Simple as that.

I agree with Wilbur.

I think there are really good English players out there that should be given more chances in an EPL team. Granted sometimes you might get a Zaha or Caroll, but it won't be surprising if they buckle up and make themselves good enough to hit the first team.

In fact I thought that McNair and Blackett would probably be shit, but they showed that at times, they might be even more dependable than our current set of first team defenders.

God that fact really pisses me off.

Hixx

no i dont really care

do cinemas do sign language viewings like on late night bbc

if not im going to write to hollywood

Pennywise

Can't be help though, those trailers really help in hyping up a movie/series.

My company tried to be subtle about it, but we realised that while us movie geeks don't really appreciate being spoiled on so many scenes, the general public really lap those things up.

So damned if you do, damned if you don't. We decided that we'd just release those trailers anyway, would be pretty stupid to restrict it just due to a couple of geeks like us, even as how much we don't like it.

I know it's a necessary evil to be competetive, which is a pretty sad state of affairs.
I could rant all day about stuff like that, but I get the reason behind it.
Allthough I don't think studios should be so stupid to pump so much money into movies, it's just not necessary over and over again.

What's even more suprising how fucking sad the state of the usual tv broadcasting is.
You know, with digital TV we've got so many different sub channels of broadcaster.

One of the biggest channels here is RTL.
They've got alot of sub channels that aren't even close to have the same audience as the main channel.
RTL got RTL Nitro,RTL Crime,RTL2.
They have the license for really high quality tv series like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones for the free TV, and where is it running ?
Not on the big channel where they could get the biggest audience, it's running on fucking sub channels...

And what's running on the main channel ?
Fucking scripted reality, countdown shows or garbage like "I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!"

I mean how fucking stupid is the audience ?
They got nearly the biggest marketshare of the private channels in germany, it's really mindblowing.

Wilbur

Banned
you're not getting a share of my millions from this invention now

i thought we were bonding

honestly if I had hollywood's email you would have it too

try Jonathan Ross on twitter his wife knows people and she also has smashing tatties

El Topo

German TV sucks, Pennywise. The people want it that way. I could rant about it for hours, but I think it's best to leave it at that.
That said I don't have a TV anymore and I don't feel like I'm missing much. Also Tatort sucks and is completely overrated by German media and public.

Elchele

It is kind of weird but I've seen movies and series with subtitles for most of my life now, so now when I catch a movie or show without subtitules, but still in english, it feels weird. Like it doesn't look as "professional"/hollywood quality as when they have subtitles.

I don't know how to describe it. There probably is a word in german for it

Pennywise

It is kind of weird but I've seen movies and series with subtitles for most of my life now, so now when I catch a movie or show without subtitules, but still in english, it feels weird. Like it doesn't look as "professional"/hollywood quality as when they have subtitles.

I don't know how to describe it. There probably is a word in german for it
Skur­ril.

German TV sucks, Pennywise. The people want it that way. I could rant about it for hours, but I think it's best to leave it at that.

I just don't want to leave it.
It just sucks.
It's just the lazyness of people to just shut the TV off, these folks are so used to shit, because they see it every day.
Instead of shutting it off or complaining, they just continue watching it and get used to this shit.
This is a neverending cycle....

El Topo

I think the problem is a lot more complex, Pennywise. I agree though that it sucks, but what can you do? I'm just going to use Netflix and hope that enough people switch to such services over time.

I know it's a necessary evil to be competetive, which is a pretty sad state of affairs.
I could rant all day about stuff like that, but I get the reason behind it.
Allthough I don't think studios should be so stupid to pump so much money into movies, it's just not necessary over and over again.

What's even more suprising how fucking sad the state of the usual tv broadcasting is.
You know, with digital TV we've got so many different sub channels of broadcaster.

One of the biggest channels here is RTL.
They've got alot of sub channels that aren't even close to have the same audience as the main channel.
RTL got RTL Nitro,RTL Crime,RTL2.
They have the license for really high quality tv series like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones for the free TV, and where is it running ?
Not on the big channel where they could get the biggest audience, it's running on fucking sub channels...

And what's running on the main channel ?
Fucking scripted reality, countdown shows or garbage like "I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!"

I mean how fucking stupid is the audience ?
They got nearly the biggest marketshare of the private channels in germany, it's really mindblowing.

Yeah.

I can safely say that most people who work in the TV business, doesn't know shit about what they are doing. Frustrating really. Some don't even fucking know what series are popular, and could be promising. It's just a 9-5 work for them.

There are times where I just want to slam my head on the desk when I hear their 'opinions' during meetings.

Pennywise

I think the problem is a lot more complex, Pennywise. I agree though that it sucks, but what can you do? I'm just going to use Netflix and hope that enough people switch to such services over time.

Bertelsmann who owns 76,4 % of the RTL group is located in my hometown.
I could do alot of stuff, but that wouldn't solve anything...another shitty channel would take over.
Ugh :/

Now I'm sad.
Time to watch something good.

Yeah.

I can safely say that most people who work in the TV business, doesn't know shit about what they are doing. Frustrating really. Some don't even fucking know what series are popular, and could be promising. It's just a 9-5 work for them.

There are times where I just want to slam my head on the desk when I hear their 'opinions' during meetings.

German TV shows are garbage most of the time :/

It would be difficult in the United States, but I'm not really keen to get their ridiculous advertisement times.
Every freaking 10 minutes there is a commercial break.

El Topo

Bertelsmann who owns 76,4 % of the RTL group is located in my hometown.
I could do alot of stuff, but that wouldn't solve anything...another shitty channel would take over.
Ugh :/

I honestly don't mind that people watch crap. The problem is that it's pretty much all they want to watch.
What bothers me is that I'm forced to finance a network of TV channels that produces and shows mostly crap. At least they got football.

Pennywise

I honestly don't mind that people watch crap. The problem is that it's pretty much all they want to watch.
What bothers me is that I'm forced to finance a network of TV channels that produces and shows mostly crap. At least they got football.

Yeah.
Which is another thing that pisses me off.

Especially when they cancel a channel like EinsPlus that actually offers alot of variety and decent shows.
Just because the premier of Hessen,Dresden and other states are telling them too save some money.
Yeah great, now ARD and ZDF will launch a youtube channel for that...
Fuck that.

They spend so much money on the same type of bullshit shows for the normal ARD/ZDF programme and yet the cancel a channel that's not even that costly.

Lightning

Banned
I generally only watch one or two trailers for games and then go on a black out until I get the game. I read up on the battle system and if I'm unsure about it I will watch a gameplay video but I hate watching too many cutscenes or gameplay videos before playing the game.

Some of them have way too many spoilers in them and I hate that.

Facism

Gold Member
I basically do what lightning does but then not buy the game when absurd dlc nonsense and season passes get announced because fuck that ive gotta eat

I generally only watch one or two trailers for games and then go on a black out until I get the game. I read up on the battle system and if I'm unsure about it I will watch a gameplay video but I hate watching too many cutscenes or gameplay videos before playing the game.

Some of them have way too many spoilers in them and I hate that.

Im not too bothered about spoilers, but generally I can tell from the announcement whether I'm likely to be interested in a game, I follow enough sites/journos on twitter to give me an idea of whether a title sounds like its going to be a train wreck so outside of any presentations that occur (like E3 demos during a conference) I can quite easily ignore media.

It does mean that sometimes I go into a game and don't know something I probably should, like with Sunset Overdrives multiplayer... lolol

Lightning

Banned
Im not too bothered about spoilers, but generally I can tell from the announcement whether I'm likely to be interested in a game, I follow enough sites/journos on twitter to give me an idea of whether a title sounds like its going to be a train wreck so outside of any presentations that occur (like E3 demos during a conference) I can quite easily ignore media.

It does mean that sometimes I go into a game and don't know something I probably should, like with Sunset Overdrives multiplayer... lolol
There are many cases like mgs5 where I'm going to buy the game regardless so would rather not be spoiled. Many games are like this, UC4, basically anything naughty dog create, where the trust in developers is enough for me not to do that. Kh3 I won't read any interviews, watch any trailers, I will just buy it when it's released.

There are several games where I will do a bit of research to see if they suit my gaming tastes. Resonance of Fate for example where I needed to watch videos on that to see if that battle system was okay. It depends on the game and the trust I have with that developer to make games I enjoy. The lower the trust the more videos, game play clips etc I will watch.

shiroryu

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/06/wayne-rooney-poetic-side-england-youth

It seemed Rooney’s love affair with England had begun, and he wanted to share it with his team-mates. On the night England were eliminated the squad convened for a farewell meal. Then something unexpected happened.

After asking Bate’s permission, Rooney stood up and produced a piece of paper from his pocket. On it he had written a poem about how much he loved playing for his country.

Rooney, along with team-mate James Biggins, recited the poem called When Saturday Comes to a crowd of nearly 30 silent onlookers.

“I think it took most of the group aback,” said Bate, who chose not to reveal the full contents of the poem. “Here was a young boy just expressing his love for England in the best format and most succinct manner he could. I have never seen anyone stand up and do that before. I will never forget it.”

I can't.

Now I want to imagine England exiting the World Cup and Rooney tapping Hodgson saying, "I have a poem to read out." And Hodgson is all "Not again, Wayne."

Manager

This is the Pellegrini crap that I've been complaining about here for weeks, how he's basically playing 4-4-2 without taking the responsibilities needed defensively and obviously lack of plan B:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ation-is-killing-manchester-city-9845216.html

By Danny Higginbotham, the old defender:
Talking Tactics: Persisting with wrong formation is killing Manchester City

The former Manchester United, Southampton and Stoke defender looks at what’s going wrong at Manchester City.

City are the only team I’ve seen who are trying to play 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 at the same time. It’s killing them.

City are set up as a 4-4-2 and the way that system works is well established. In a 4-4-2, one full-back should stay back to ensure there will always be three at the back. But City’s full-backs are attacking like a 4-2-3-1 – both going at the same time and the defensive midfielders join in, too.

If any CSKA scout, before Wednesday’s match, had watched City play West Ham, Newcastle and Manchester United they would have seen exactly the same vulnerability. They are not defending like a 4-4-2. They should be looking to have an attacking six and a defensive four. Instead, they had an attacking eight and a defending two. That means there is simply no protection for the centre-backs and City are most vulnerable when they attack.

It’s obvious they need to be set up as a 4-2-3-1.

I don’t know why Manuel Pellegrini – and presumably also the director of football, Txiki Begiristain – doesn’t see that City’s squad suits 4-2-3-1 incredibly well. All their full-backs are incredibly attack-minded. They have the creative players for a 4-2-3-1, with David Silva on one side, Samir Nasri, Jesus Navas or James Milner on the other and – to my mind – Yaya Youré behind the striker.

They also have the intelligence of Sergio Aguero, who will drop deep to create room in behind for runners or stretch the game himself. They have also spent heavily on defensive midfielders to provide the counterbalance. Why do they persist with the 4-4-2? It’s a mystery to me.

Yaya Touré must be as frustrated as hell.

He is one of the best attacking midfielders in the world, yet he’s being hugely under-utilised. He is taking a lot of the criticism for the way City’s game has dropped off this season but he is being asked to play a role which doesn’t conform to his strengths.

He isn’t a defensive-minded player, yet Pellegrini keeps playing him in the pair in front of defence, where he is expected to demonstrate the defensive side of his game. And then he gets stick when he doesn’t deliver.

It’s not as if City lack defensive midfielders. They’ve bought Fernando and Fernandinho. At one point on Wednesday night, City seemed to see the light. With Fernando and Fernandinho both on the field after half-time, Touré was sent up. But within 20 minutes Fernando was off and Touré was back where he started.

It’s healthy for players to have a little fear of their manager. I don’t see it with these players and Pellegrini.

I expected to see some public criticism from Pellegrini for the players who were sent off. I would certainly have expected that myself. Players know. Every manager I’ve played for would have come out and said that was unacceptable if I’d been sent off at a critical moment like that. Louis van Gaal did it after Chris Smalling’s moments of madness against City last weekend. Pellegrini gave Touré a get-out. He said it might have been “nervousness” in the player. Well, I’m sorry but there should have no get-out.

I felt a healthy fear factor for any manager I respected. Not a physical fear, but a sense that I’d be accountable. Maybe we are not seeing the full picture because Pellegrini doesn’t say much publicly, but I would go so far as to say that there seem to be a few untouchables in this City team.

I keep coming back to City’s lack of Plan B.

We talked about it on these pages last week. City’s Plan A is 4-4-2, their Plan B is frustration. They’ve been behind at half-time under Pellegrini 13 times now and still managed to win only three times, losing the remaining 10.

Teams know what they will get against City. They are sitting deep against them, drawing them in then just hitting them on the counter-attack. As one of the CSKA players said: “We knew that they were going to come against us with big numbers and we knew [as a result] that they are vulnerable in the counter-attacks.” Just as at Newcastle last week, there were no alternative ideas. City looked less likely to score as the game went on.

For fucks sake, you naive, stubborn bastard:
Hart
Zabaleta - Kompany - Mangala/Demichelis - Kolarov
Fernando - Fernandinho
Milner - Yaya - Silva
Aguero

In time, sell Yaya and let Silva take over his place, then buy a quality winger.

It's interesting about the fear issue, I wonder if he's incredibly soft. The exact opposite to Mancini. Could be a really shit attribute when you're dealing with well-paid world class players, but something, a more humble approach, a lower team like Malaga or Villareal would like and basically get the team to fight for you like they did.

B1y8JcDIIAARtgZ.jpg:large

Seems like everyone is getting fed up with Yaya too:
B1y7xxWIUAASZ5p.jpg:large

Salazar

It's interesting about the fear issue, I wonder if he's incredibly soft.

Was it the second CSKA goal, where the bloke is floating behind City's CBs and neither of them—indeed, no City player at all—shows any awareness of his presence ?

That goal should be stimulus for an epic video room bollocking.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Going to Interstellar in a few hours and I have a feeling I'm going to HATE it

It was either that or John Wick.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
" Thankfully in space, no one can hear you yawn. "

I. Cant. Breathe. :lol (no pun intended)
You'll definitely be disappointed if you go in with that attitude.

I did so last night

But I have to, if I want to like it and be pleasantly surprised!

If that makes sense

Top Bottom