• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Go_Ly_Dow

I guess the one positive from the city games was Carrick and McNair not conceding once we went down to 10.

Probably why he will stick with that partnership as opposed to going with Thorpe.

RW9RZBs.png

Proof that he has been a kid once
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Also he's not included in Spains squad.
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Was that picture taken in the 80's?

Thing I find odd about Liverpool this season, I barely watch em so could be talking about me arse here, is why Rodgers who did so well bringing through Sterling and turning around Henderson would seemingly abandon that re: Wisdom/Ibe in favour of spending 50 mil + on Markovic/Lallana/Lovren etc etc

All well being Harry Hindsight but perhaps would have been better going big for a couple of top players like Kjaer/Sanchez and bringing through your Wisdoms/Rossiters/Ibes/Origis

As I said, I don't know enough to really make an informed comment. But I will spout garbage anyways :p

Every up an coming manager gets a transfer window where they can do this
mayweather-money.gif

Some get it right and some don't. Rodgers major failure was not replacing Suarez with a similar player however not many Suarez types around so he either had to change his system or cross his fingers and hoped his signings clicked right away.

Was that picture taken in the 80's?

Maybe, it's a good interview with him and his father. This reminded me of that Suarez story

By 15, he was training with professionals every day.”
But, frustration building, Costa punched an opponent and threatened the referee. His 120- day ban meant he would be suspended when super agent Jorge Mendes was visiting to run the rule over him. “

"Thankfully our appeal was accepted and he could play in the game.” Costa only played a half, but it was more than enough. His personality immediately endeared him to Mendes, who had an agreement with Portuguese club Braga to provide the primeira Liga side with young talent from minor teams."

Fucking Mendes is everywhere.

mayweather-money.gif

Some get it right and some don't. Rodgers major failure was not replacing Suarez with a similar player however not many Suarez types around so he either had to change his system or cross his fingers and hoped his signings clicked right away.

Rodgers didn't think big.

Also Sturridge got injured

Clegg

Tbf the two games he's played out wide in were Chelsea and City.

And he still created chances.

His crossing is phenomenal so I wouldn't have many qualms about him on the wing, but as his been stated before, he is a little predictable when starting from wide areas. Still good enough to punish most sides though. We'll miss his forward runs through the middle. Frightens the life out of defenders.

Elchele

Ye but at least Loliga has a bit more prestige then Bundleslolga.

Don't know how you measure league prestige. The leagues are very a like, except Bundesliga only has one super financial powerhouse, while Spain has two.

The rest of clubs are competitive when they match good coaching + good enough players. The difference is 98% of Bundesliga clubs have good financial situation and are growing, and have modern stadiums of their own and the best stadium/fan atmosphere among the top leagues. In Spain all clubs are in debt, without decent stadium and half empty stadiums, some can't even pay players salaries.

From a player perspective, Bundesliga is a better option. Obviously excluding RM and Barcelona players.

Scum

How many players and managers does Mendes have on his books? He could probably create a World Class starting XI!

KidJr

mayweather-money.gif

I dont know man, the more and more I look at it the more I think Liverpool hinged everything on Sanchez (again I honestly can not THANK you guys enough), I believe he pretty much believed seeing as we are selling you probably one of if not the best strikers in the world, the least you can do is ya know, give us the guy your going to sell to make way for him. Almost a like for like swap (obv Saurez is better than Sanchez), had Liverpool had bought Sanchez I honestly think everything would be different for them (I really do believe he's currently the difference between the two teams).

I dont think there will was ANYONE else to of note to buy that was within their price range.

K1LLER7

No, but I expect he'll be back after the international break.
Cheers.

Yeah. He needs to stay injury free for the rest of the season. If he goes with the Colombia NT, hopefully he can come back fit and ready for the next PL game.

We all wanted Rumbo and now we've got him, he doesn't stay fit :(

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Not gonna lie im starting to worry about this year more and more, i keep expecting us to go on a run but with these injuries, we wont have a settled team till the new year at this rate.

Its not a bonus being out of other comps if we have so many injuries we cant field a consistent team.

Not gonna lie im starting to worry about this year more and more, i keep expecting us to go on a run but with these injuries, we wont have a settled team till the new year at this rate.

Its not a bonus being out of other comps if we have so many injuries we cant field a consistent team.

I can only assume that our players really aren't handling double training sessions well at all.

Or that Phil Jones is injuring everyone.

We're lucky the other teams have started really poorly also or the pressure really would be on right now.

No doubt it'll turn that way if we don't win tmrw.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I can only assume that our players really aren't handling double training sessions well at all.

Or that Phil Jones is injuring everyone.

So the 3 years comment refers to finally getting in players who are capable of this level?

I can only imagine the exodus next year when chaff have been evaluated for an entire season.

"There was a load of old guys and this overgrown kid who was fighting everyone. He wasn’t scared of anything – an incredible personality. Technically, he wasn't brilliant; he just needed to understand his body better because he was slightly uncoordinated. But just look at him now. He’s a beast"

“I fought with everyone. I couldn’t control myself. I insulted everyone, I had no respect for the opposition – I thought I had to kill them.Boys who grew in academies are taught to control themselves and respect others, but no one ever told me otherwise. I was used to seeing players elbowing each other in the face and thought it was the norm.”

His influence grew, as did his notoriety. Across a two-week period against Real Betis, he was almost Spain’s most wanted man. In the Copa del Rey in late January 2013, Betis defender Antonio Amaya’s errant back header presented Costa with an open goal. “Thanks for the present,” shouted the devilish Costa, running towards the tunnel, to spark a huge brawl. “Doctor Diego, Mister Costa,” read Marca’s Jekyll and Hyde headline. “If my team-mates had not held me back, I’d have killed him,” hissed Amaya after the game. “That shows what kind of person he is: he has no heart and no shame.”

When the opportunity to join Chelsea arose this summer, Costa nearly refused, as he had done to Liverpool in August 2013. For the first time in his football career, even his life after his cousins’ bullying, he felt at Atletico like he belonged. “I don’t like moving house,” he has said. “I want to feel important.”

AkpmCMU.png

Also apparently Ramos convinced him to play for Spain... Despite how much they usually fight and spit on each other on the pitch

sohois

Thing I find odd about Liverpool this season, I barely watch em so could be talking about me arse here, is why Rodgers who did so well bringing through Sterling and turning around Henderson would seemingly abandon that re: Wisdom/Ibe in favour of spending 50 mil + on Markovic/Lallana/Lovren etc etc

All well being Harry Hindsight but perhaps would have been better going big for a couple of top players like Kjaer/Sanchez and bringing through your Wisdoms/Rossiters/Ibes/Origis

As I said, I don't know enough to really make an informed comment. But I will spout garbage anyways :p

Ibe and Wisdom were a long way from being ready. Despite the similarities of Ibe to Sterling, both being young black wingers with a lot of pace, they won't have the same career path. Sterling was a once in a generation talent whereas Ibe is merely a top class young player; at this stage he could become a top winger or match the paths of Zaha and Ince.

Though Wisdom is more advanced, there are 3 Rbs ahead of him - though one may argue Johnson doesn't deserve it, it's better for his development.

When it comes to youngsters actually being overlooked, one could make an argument for Luis Alberto/Suso instead of Lallana/Markovic, or Ilori/Coates instead of Lovren. But really, if those players were given chances they still wouldn't be good enough, the reason why it seems a bad move is simply because Lovren and Markovic haven't started well, not because giving big responsibility to those youngsters was the best option

Top Bottom