• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

----------------------------Mignolet----------------------------------

Manquillo--------Skrtel---------Toure----------------Moreno

--------------------------Lucas---------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Can-------------------------------

---------------------------Henderson--------------------------------

---------Sterling------------------------------Coutinho------------

-------------------------------Borini------------------------------------

Hopefully. Reward those who did well against Madrid, not that we'll necessarily avoid a defeat either way. Balotelli is useless on his own up front, and the only way we can keep it tight in midfield is by playing one up top, so it's Borini by default. I'd be very suprised if we score, no matter which lineup we deploy.

Do you want to start with the same team as against Madrid?

Because you are going to start with the same team as against Newcastle.

I don't know what the answer is. Goals seem to be rare these days for Liverpool and they are up against one of the best defences around. Their midfield gets broken through too much and they are up against one of the quickest defence-->attack teams around. Their defence has been rather inconsistent and they are up against a team where 80% of the players on the opposing side can score a goal on any given day.

That said, Chelsea haven't been in outstanding form and Anfield is still a tough place to go. As a neutral I'm looking forward to the game.

I do however, think the biggest threat to Liverpool is the lightning fast defend-->attack Chelsea have this year. They'll need a very organised defence.

Chelsea's weakness for me this season is that they sometimes overcommit going forward leaving their slow defence quite exposed. Ivanovic, Cahill and Terry struggle when people run at them with pace. Sterling will be absolutely vital for Liverpool in this match.

It is a shame for Liverpool that Chelsea have a preferred first 11 team now that Costa is playing, Ivanovic is back, Dave is back, Remy could make the bench, Ramires and Shirly can come on.

If Sterling is just stood isolated on the wing like he was against Newcastle, I'm gonna send a harshly worded letter to Rodgers. For us to have any hope of doing anything in an attacking sense, he needs to be unleashed. Not that his performance was satisfactory when he did get the chance to do something. That entire front 3 against Newcastle had the exact same general performance. Struggling to get on the ball, rubbish on the odd occasion they did

bjaelke

Di Natale said:
“I had a few opportunities to go abroad, but the only team I would’ve liked to play for, purely for the stadium and the atmosphere, is Liverpool.

“When they signed Andrea Dossena in 2008 they also talked to me, but then nothing came of it.”
fuck this shit

Hitcher, Fab and Matic could kill that midfield...4-1-1-1-2-1

They could kill any midfield combination we put out. The one I posted has the best combination of intensity, hard work, positional discipline, tackling ability, tracking and ball-carrying. What we'd lose in passing would be made up for in those other areas imo. You could point at any position in any Liverpool formation without Sturridge and instantly recognise it as a real weakness. We have no balanced team, without Sturridge we have to sacrifice attacking intent, since attemping to show that intent is just leaving us open, without even giving us the payoff of an improved attack.

If we're crap at attacking either way, we might as well tighten things up elsewhere while we figure out what to do. Madrid and Chelsea are not the teams to experiment against, keeping it simple is the name of the game now, or it should be anyway.

@Arnie, forgot he even existed. Shit prick, used to just have a go at his teammates because he was incapable of kicking anything but air. So many oppurtunities wasted because of him just randomly swiping at the ball from 10 yards out.

Clegg

Not usually one to defend Robbie Keane as he annoys the piss out of me, but he was a much better player than he showed at Liverpool. He wasn't the "last piece of the jigsaw" as the media put it at the time, but he was a very good striker. Really don't know what happened to him.

Walshy

I'd play the diamond today, but Coutinho at the top with Lucas, Henderson and Can behind.

Borini and Sterling up front.

DBT85

Owen saying Gerrard slip won't be playing on his mind today. Ok Michael.

Going 3-1 to Chelsea.

Hoping for the same for United, but am actually worried we won't be able to keep them down to 1. How times have changed.

dc89

B16eeNXIAAAlljM.jpg:large

D: GAME instore deal at the Trafford Centre.

Salvadora

love how aggressive microsoft are being with the xbox one.

works out well for the consumer as sony really need to get their act together after shitting the bed pretty royally this year in terms of first party output and a generally shite online experience

sohois

Not usually one to defend Robbie Keane as he annoys the piss out of me, but he was a much better player than he showed at Liverpool. He wasn't the "last piece of the jigsaw" as the media put it at the time, but he was a very good striker. Really don't know what happened to him.

Just like Torres, he just hit his decline a little earlier than usual (both were around 27-28 when they moved) and just wasn't ever going to be good enough again. At Liverpool he was still on course for a ~15 goal season, a decent return but not nearly enough for what Liverpool needed.

-

Regarding the Liverpool - Chelsea match later, Does anyone else think Rodgers may try and field 4 CMs? Given the strong performances of Lucas and Can, plus the high likelihood of Gerrard and Henderson starting, I can imagine trying to fit the four of them into midfield and it actually working. Just have Borini up front on his own and Sterling in a free role, with Moreno and Manquillo providing most of the width. Henderson and Can both have experience playing wide roles, so it could avoid too much narrowness as well.

GorillaJu

Just like Torres, he just hit his decline a little earlier than usual (both were around 27-28 when they moved) and just wasn't ever going to be good enough again. At Liverpool he was still on course for a ~15 goal season, a decent return but not nearly enough for what Liverpool needed.

-

Regarding the Liverpool - Chelsea match later, Does anyone else think Rodgers may try and field 4 CMs? Given the strong performances of Lucas and Can, plus the high likelihood of Gerrard and Henderson starting, I can imagine trying to fit the four of them into midfield and it actually working. Just have Borini up front on his own and Sterling in a free role, with Moreno and Manquillo providing most of the width. Henderson and Can both have experience playing wide roles, so it could avoid too much narrowness as well.

I think Lallana will play. It'll probably be Lallana + 3 CMs. Hopefully Lucas gets to play. He was fine vs Real.

dc89

love how aggressive microsoft are being with the xbox one.

works out well for the consumer as sony really need to get their act together after shitting the bed pretty royally this year in terms of first party output and a generally shite online experience

Yep, gonna get one next year.

Only problem is, my TV cabinet has 4 distinct spaces for consoles and set top boxes etc.

I currently have, Sky HD box, PS3, PS4 & WiiU. I can't fit the XB1 in.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

That move to Liverpool fucked him completely, he wasn't the same after that. He was absolutely class for us but I think getting his 'dream move' and then flopping frazzled his brain a bit.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Toure deserved to start this game ahead of Lovren. Rodgers is a cruel bastard.

Zabojnik

An eye patch is a great way to pick up girls.

"I lost it while saving an orphan from being turned into child soldier in Sierra Leone"

Then tell them you are just wearing it while they prepare your bionic eye

What a piece of work is man.

At home with flu
Puking more than Messi on steroids
Moving TV to bedroom
Watch premleague

What an awful Saturday

Think of Sunday, amico mio. THINK OF THE GLORIOUS SUNDAY.

sohois

I can forgive Johnson, since the lack of Manquillo on the bench indicates that he is injured, but the rest of that lineup is foolish.

Gerrard and Lovren walk back into the squad based on nothing, whilst Balotelli is alone up front yet again. Pretty baffling choices

Empty

i figured the point of the madrid lineup from rodgers was not resting but to tell the senior players that they can't just depend on getting into the team for the big matches if they're not performing. a big, public way of telling them to buck up. after people like lucas and toure put in performances at the bernebeu it seems counter-productive not to reward that.

Top Bottom