• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

I understand why everyone wears it, but can't you guys find other ways to honour the dead? Wearing it in football gives a few fuckwits a stage to showcase their fuckwitery

And it's a multinational league, you can't force the others to wear it or sneer at them when they don't.
Maybe, yeah. Certainly there is an expectation that people in public life should wear a poppy, don't really agree with that.

Nobody is actually forced to wear one though.

And really the minutes silence is part of our lives here. It's observed in almost all public places on the day - not the only way to commemorate but shouldn't have to stop because some people can't behave themselves.

In the case of minutes silence I agree that the respect should be adhered to.

There's a very, very complex relationship in Northern Ireland, and even in the Republic towards Britain. I think in the case of what Pulse is saying, it isn't moronic to have feelings of resentment towards the British army even though there was plenty of Irish Nationalist involvement in the British army in WW1.

Like I said. Its very, very complex.
The resentment is perfectly understandable, no doubt about that.

Salvadora

i don't know if i would wear a poppy given what has happened in northern ireland and some of the scandalous stuff that has recently came to light about the security services / british army.

but i wouldn't interrupt a minutes silence or anything like that

Hixx

Quite happy with how we are pressing here. Letting Everton pass it about but pressing when they're a bit loose in shape.

Zabojnik

So, yeah, looks like the gradual switch to 4-3-* is finally starting to happen for us. I should be happy, and I am, but at the same time ... I was kinda hoping we would go with 4-3-3, not the quintessentially Allegrian 4-3-1-2. Our main problem over the past three years has been our offensive ineffectiveness on the wings and I'm not sure that this formation is going to help with that. Not when our LB and RB are Evra (or Asamoah, RIP in pieces) and Lichtsteiner. I'm also not sure that the classic 3/4ista still has a role in modern football. Looks like an AMF will be our main mercato target next summer, with names like Pastore popping up already. I'd much rather see us focus on 4-3-3. Have Llorente maintain his offensive pivot role and surround him with pacey players like Morata and Berardi, who'll also be much more inclined to backtrack, given their age & status.

Speaking of Morata and Mimmo, like, where does playing with 4-3-1-2 leave them? Okay, Morata is a pure striker, you can put him pretty much anywhere. But Berardi?

Please understand, Happy.

Arnie

Waiting at Euston for my train up to Liverpool. Having a scran with the fam. Then tomorrow we Jose.

Sunderland, please. Save my weekend.

L1NETT

FT 2-1 City

good game that. Credit Fax they were far fucking better than us 1st half

Draw is monday evening right?

Give us a good un pls

Yen

i don't know if i would wear a poppy given what has happened in northern ireland and some of the scandalous stuff that has recently came to light about the security services / british army.

but i wouldn't interrupt a minutes silence or anything like that

I agree with all of that, and also that in NI it's more-or-less a political symbol (with certain politicians writing letters in newspapers chastising those who don't wear one).

Hixx

Fucking hell Larsson, you'd not get away with a tackle like that in rugby
KuGsj.gif

Hahahah

Spurs are so poor. I just counted 6 aerial balls in a row that they lost, which they've barely contested.

Awful. Barely trying.

It still amazes me that Younes Kaboul is a captain of a professional football team.

Let alone a PL team with Champions League aspirations.

The man reeks of not giving a shit and being disorganised.

Scum

Bunch of soft cunts. All of them. It's not even funny any more. Next month's schedule will be fun.

Fuck off, Kaboul. Mug.

Top Bottom