• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

KidJr

I'm not afraid of change, in fact I think.it's needed for us to make the next step but the recruitment process needs to be proper and not take some clown from who done well with what they had.

It's just Wenger gets a lot of hate now, a lot of criticism when you look at our end of season always in top 4, consistent cl football, he has spoilt Arsenal's fans and now they resent him for it.

The main thing is, for all Wenger's failings, his worst his still better than Spurs best and has been for 18 years. Challenging for the cl and pl titles are all he's lacking but those are top end things. It's just Arsenal fans don't realise how lucky they are and how good they've had it. You read some of the anti wenger posts and you'd think we'd been hard done by and that he was destroying our club when the reality is quite the opposite.

Deserves a lot more respect than he gets. A lot more.

Marco 'injured half of every season' Reus should focus on his health. He should not be our priority when we have Alexis at our club.

Before Sanchez joined I wanted him. Now? Who gives a fuck I want Lars Bender.

THIS x1000

Like yeah teams laugh at us etc, but the fact remains we've been consistently but yet to transition to greatness. Think of what Wenger has done with the squads he HAS had in the past 6 or so years (the season where fucking Gail Clichy lost us the league against birmingham) while having to sell our best players to balance the books, he's been very close before and that was on a budget. However while we have come into money people need to remember, we are no Man U, Chelsea, or City, we cant go out and spend 150 million (and even then you can see it takes time). We're steadily building up a revenue streams (we've only had Puma money this transfer window) and putting together a squad that takes time to gel...

Look despite his criticisms wenger isnt stupid, he knows we need a DM and CB. I refuse to believe he cant see that, so as long as he makes some right moves come January I expect a very strong second half of the season from us.

I'm all about progess but but do I ever want to be in Man United or Tottenhams situation, Hell no!

Go to sport.

It's the one with Sheamus from WWE at Anfield.

Ah i see it.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 8m8 minutes ago
Convicted rapist Ched Evans will return to training with Sheffield United. @danroan exclusive. http://bbc.in/1oFybMZ

I don't agree with this, he still doesn't actually think he's done anything wrong.

If he doesn't think he has done anything wrong that is worrying, but I don't generally see why someone shouldn't be able to play football again when they are done with their sentence. Although I can't see it being nice for him with all the rapist chants there will be against him, but he will have to deal with that.

Anyway is it me, or does he kind of look like a bearded Kermit when he smiles? He got that south park mouth like him.

Blablurn

Even when Bayern was not a European powerhouse like today we were always striving for greatness. Top 4 is not enough anymore. A humble club like Bayern realizd that years ago. When Arsenal was still so far ahead of us. Wenger is playing it too safe. You have to risk something. You don't need to win the CL every year but at least make it till the semi finals or the final every other year. In 2009/2010 Bayern was still far away from Arsenal. Yet with financial risks and a new coach (Van Gaal) we changed our momentum. And even though Dortmund won the title in the upcoming years we made ourselves a name in Europe by consistently making it to the last rounds.

On the other hand you can say that Arsenal actually made some transfers in the last 2 years. But buying one good player per season is not enough anymore. Especially not in a highly competitive league like the EPL. You have do more. Risk more.

THIS x1000

Like yeah teams laugh at us etc, but the fact remains we've been consistently but yet to transition to greatness. Think of what Wenger has done with the squads he HAS had in the past 6 or so years (the season where fucking Gail Clichy lost us the league against birmingham) while having to sell our best players to balance the books, he's been very close before and that was on a budget. However while we have come into money people need to remember, we are no Man U, Chelsea, or City, we cant go out and spend 150 million (and even then you can see it takes time). We're steadily building up a revenue streams (we've only had Puma money this transfer window) and putting together a squad that takes time to gel...

Look despite his criticisms wenger isnt stupid, he knows we need a DM and CB. I refuse to believe he cant see that, so as long as he makes some right moves come January I expect a very strong second half of the season from us.

I'm all about progess but but do I ever want to be in Man United or Tottenhams situation, Hell no!
What makes you so sure considering he's neglected it for the last however many years?

It's like Fergie and the CM issue.

dc89

B2I8sPhIIAA-hf-.jpg:large

#ThingsTevezCouldDribble

https://twitter.com/ambigram_agung/status/532054436907343872

THIS x1000

Clichy didn't lose us the title, we will still first with a three point lead after that game and it was our first defeat of the season. The team then lost its composure in the remaining three months of the season and finished 3rd 4 points off first.

Money is not the Arsenal problem. Fans need to stop congratulating Wenger for doing a good job with limited resources. You don't need to go out and spent 20-30 million on a CB, Vidic cost united 7 million. Wenger consistently failed to improve the squad and build a solid defensive base. this all falls on him as a manager and has nothing to do with not being able to compete with the same resources as Man City and Chelsea. It wasn't a lack of resources that blew away a three goal lead at home to Anderlecht. It wasn't a lack of resources that couldn't defend a 1-0 lead to Swansea with 15 minutes left.

We are simply a straw house team, the slightest bit of wind and we come crushing down.

KidJr

Even when Bayern was not a European powerhouse like today we were always striving for greatness. Top 4 is not enough anymore. A humble club like Bayern realizd that years ago. When Arsenal was still so far ahead of us. Wenger is playing it too safe. You have to risk something. You don't need to win the CL every year but at least make it till the semi finals or the final every other year. In 2009/2010 Bayern was still far away from Arsenal. Yet with financial risks and a new coach (Van Gaal) we changed our momentum. And even though Dortmund won the title in the upcoming years we made ourselves a name in Europe by consistently making it to the last rounds.

On the other hand you can say that Arsenal actually made some transfers in the last 2 years. But buying one good player per season is not enough anymore. Especially not in a highly competitive league like the EPL. You have do more. Risk more.

Again, and I aware I maybe coming off extremely typicall Arsenal here but last season we spent what £45 million, This season we spent over £80million... it's like people look at us and think we're not trying or something.

The Chelsea squad you see before you today is years of work, it isnt Mournihio of one season, Jose put the finishing touches to a very very strong squad. We are I'd say where Chelsea are/were a year ago (in terms of what our squad is missing). The reason we are there is because the spine of are squad over the years has been decimated year after year, Song, Fabregas, Nasri, Ade, Van Persie, Hleb, Veria, Henry, Clichy, Toure. I promise if Bayren had their spine ripped out year after year they wouldnt be where they are now.

There's no coincidence that Van Gaal see's man u taking potentially three years before they can reach their potential. It doesnt happen over night and although we've had the same manager over a period longer a period of time, we've always been having to rebuild leaving us no further down the path of development.

Again, and I aware I maybe coming off extremely typicall Arsenal here but last season we spent what £45 million, This season we spent over £80million... it's like people look at us and think we're not trying or something.

The Chelsea squad you see before you today is years of work, it isnt Mournihio of one season, Jose put the finishing touches to a very very strong squad. We are I'd say where Chelsea are/were a year ago (in terms of what our squad is missing). The reason we are there is because the spine of are squad over the years has been decimated year after year, Song, Fabregas, Nasri, Ade, Van Persie, Hleb, Veria, Henry, Clichy, Toure. I promise if Bayren had their spine ripped out year after year they wouldnt be where they are now.

There's no coincidence that Van Gaal see's man u taking potentially three years before they can reach their potential. It doesnt happen over night and although we've had the same manager over a period longer a period of time, we've always been having to rebuild leaving us no further down the path of development.

This is what happens when a club fails to show ambition. RVP is a cunt, but at the end of the day he knew Arsenal would not seriously challenge under Wenger and went off to Man Utd to win.

Arnie

they can use your photo just like that?
Yea, I posted it on our UK Twitter account and sent it to the Echo so I wasn't really being protective over it.

I'm just happy for the coverage. Basically I took the photo to get it on sites like this and push ticket sales for our SmackDown show tonight (there's a link to purchase tickets at the bottom of the article).

#PR

Jack cw

The reason we are there is because the spine of are squad over the years has been decimated year after year, Song, Fabregas, Nasri, Ade, Van Persie, Hleb, Veria, Henry, Clichy, Toure. I promise if Bayren had their spine ripped out year after year they wouldnt be where they are now.

That is the difference between top clubs and tier 2 clubs. If you really want to play there you stop being a selling club and offer a concept were youth players have a chance to become key players, a philosophy (playstyle, youth system, scouting, contracts, proper wages and perspective), a coach who can develop a team and finally a mentality of winning. Wenger is the problem and his hesitant nature why Arsenal isn't relevant.

That is the difference between top clubs and tier 2 clubs. If you really want to play there you stop being a selling club and offer a concept were youth players have a chance to become key players, a philosophy (playstyle, youth system, scouting, contracts, proper wages and perspective), a coach who can develop a team and finally a mentality of winning. Wenger is the problem and his hesitant nature why Arsenal isn't relevant.

This is so true, I remember reading an article that said Ferguson might not be the greatest tactical manager of all time, but his desire to win trumped all others.

Blablurn

Yep. And Bayern stopped being a sellers club when they said no to Madrids offer for Ribery. Apparently it was pretty, pretty high at that time.

I think that also happened around 2009.

I think Fergie was underrated tactically, to be honest.

The article was more like he won't go down like a Michels, Sacchi, or Pep. He was solid tactically, but won't go down as someone who revolutionised the game.

He always trumped Wenger tactically by simply putting an extra man in midfield.

The article was more like he won't go down like a Michels, Sacchi, or Pep. He was solid tactically, but won't go down as someone who revolutionised the game.

He always trumped Wenger tactically by simply putting an extra man in midfield.

There's a dude on Twitter who calls him and Mourinho "strategists" - in that they don't follow any single set-up or style, but adjust according to the opposition and players they have.

Different type of tactics I guess.

Jack cw

Edit - What's going on in the Bayern crest. Is that the flag of Bavaria or something?
Yes it's the (southern) Bavarian flag in white and blue representing the sky and in case for Bayern Munich - the sky is the limit.
Yep. And Bayern stopped being a sellers club when they said no to Madrids offer for Ribery. Apparently it was pretty, pretty high at that time.

I think that also happened around 2009.

We were lucky that we didn't have buyout clauses in our player contracts and that Ribery had his hooker thing running, and the hilarious French revolution in South Africa 2010.

It's not any more competitive now, tbh.

Going to be a 2 horse race again this year.

Last year a slight exception I guess as for a few weeks it looked like three teams were in it.

I know he threatened to retire every 2 years but he didn't actually retire in 2005

He dominated in that period too...

3Sixty

Only uncompetitive because he was around m8

And it's only competitive now because everyone is as shit as each other

Disagree.

United were the only club spending money like they were.

Of course Blackburn did in 95 and they won it

Then Chelsea did.

Obvs Red Nose was a good manager but he's not the deity some people make him out to be.

Disagree.

Then Chelsea did.

Obvs Red Nose was a good manager but he's not the deity some people make him out to be.

You just got to look at Pep to see how special Fergie was. Pep was stressed out from managing one of the greatest sides ever with one of the greatest players ever. Fergie was constantly doing it for twenty years at the highest level and had no problems motivating himself or his players to win

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
There's a dude on Twitter who calls him and Mourinho "strategists" - in that they don't follow any single set-up or style, but adjust according to the opposition and players they have.

Different type of tactics I guess.

the Lippi way

:( Junited what's wrong with him :( why wont you hire him :(

but it's too late now :( he's only looking for national teams :(

:(

KidJr

Your talking as if Wenger is incapable of such things, as stated, anyone who has won the PL multiple times must have these qualities. Arsenal have a good youth system, a decent wage structure as well as all the other things you mentioned. But you tell me when your trying to attract top talent and have wage structure where you able to renumerate your team fairly how your suppose to compete with Chelsea and Man City who hand out 200k a week contracts to several players, you dont have that problem in Bayren because your the only one able to do that your league but we had no way of competing with that.

Wilbur

Banned
Disagree.

Then Chelsea did.

He won 30-40 odd trophies in 27 years at the same club. That's what makes him so remarkable.

Clegg

I think part of what made Ferguson so great was that he achieved so much at one club. He was brilliant at Aberdeen too but wasn't there for so long.

I think Guardiola said that its really hard to rebuild and motivate a team once you've been manager for 4-5 years and they've won everything. Players get too comfortable etc. Ferguson was there for 25 years and won shitloads with 5 or 6 different iterations. That really hasn't been done by anyone else in the modern game at the highest level.

That's not to say that he didn't have his failings. Things definitely got a bit stale by the time he was leaving and I think perhaps he was a bit arrogant about the state of the squad. So much more should've been done to strengthen it in his last few seasons. He got by on what he thought was good enough.

I think part of what made Ferguson so great was that he achieved so much at one club. He was brilliant at Aberdeen too but wasn't there for so long.

I think Guardiola said that its really hard to rebuild and motivate a team once you've been manager for 4-5 years and they've won everything. Players get too comfortable etc. Ferguson was there for 25 years and won shitloads with 5 or 6 different iterations. That really hasn't been done by anyone else in the modern game at the highest level.

That's not to say that he didn't have his failings. Things definitely got a bit stale by the time he was leaving and I think perhaps he was a bit arrogant about the state of the squad. So much more should've been done to strengthen it in his last few seasons. He got by on what he thought was good enough.

He was at Aberdeen for 8 years - it's a fairly long tenure, even for that era.

He won 3 titles in that time, breaking up a 15 year old Old Firm grip. Aswell as 5 domestic cups and a win in Europe. 11 trophies in 8 years at Aberdeen with the Old Firm fully established.

That itself is an amazing achievement.

I know you weren't dismissing it, just pointing it out because people don't really understand what amazing work he did there.

He probably is over-rated by some people, it's hard to pin down what that means exactly. But there's no doubt he's easily one of the best managers ever.

3Sixty

You just got to look at Pep to see how special Fergie was. Pep was stressed out from managing one of the greatest sides ever with one of the greatest players ever. Fergie was constantly doing it for twenty years at the highest level and had no problems motivating himself or his players to win

Pep is a pussy though.

Fergie is scottish.

L1NETT

Probably mumbo jumbo rumour garbage, but Spurs/Arsenal tracking Fulham's welsh winger George Williams (originally a MK youth product)

Liverpool still sniffing about Patrick Roberts too, not sure if their interest in Demarai Gray is serious though. Still think the Brummie Sterling will go to the prem in Jan.

--

Halo 5 fucking hell ahahahahhaahh. Gave me a good chuckle that. Cancelled me Xbone order (for other reasons too), gonna save up to improve my PC so Geralt will look so fucking hot come February.

--

Agree with Viva, his work breaking the Old Firm is fucking mad. Credit to Fergie. Bloke was a nasty spiteful vindictive fuck, but what a great manger. Easily one of, if not the, best of all time.

Clegg

He was at Aberdeen for 8 years - it's a fairly long tenure, even for that era.

He won 3 titles in that time, breaking up a 15 year old Old Firm grip. Aswell as 5 domestic cups and a win in Europe. 11 trophies in 8 years at Aberdeen with the Old Firm fully established.

That itself is an amazing achievement.

I know you weren't dismissing it, just pointing it out because people don't really understand what amazing work he did there.

He probably is over-rated by some people, it's hard to pin down what that means exactly. But there's no doubt he's easily one of the best managers ever.

Thought it was only 4. Even won a European trophy with them which is a phenomenal achievement esp because it wasn't with either of the traditional Scottish giants.

L1NETT

Spurs folk, Kenneth Mcevoy been recalled from Peterboro

Poch gonna give the #prospects a chance over the lazy overpaid shitehawks you have at the mo?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You know when you think about it

Most of football's greatest managers are all nasty spiteful vindictive fucks! Mourinho, Brian Clough, FergEH ,Phil Parkinson, Kloppo, Pep...

Nice guys really do finish last

But then there was Carlo Ancelotti

You know when you think about it

Most of football's greatest managers are all nasty spiteful vindictive fucks! Mourinho, Brian Clough, FergEH ,Phil Parkinson, Kloppo, Pep...

Nice guys really do finish last

But then there was Carlo Ancelotti

Carlo is ridiculous, he has been involved in 7 EC/CL finals. The guy has won the same amount as the mighty Bayern.

Jack cw

Your talking as if Wenger is incapable of such things, as stated, anyone who has won the PL multiple times must have these qualities. Arsenal have a good youth system, a decent wage structure as well as all the other things you mentioned. But you tell me when your trying to attract top talent and have wage structure where you able to renumerate your team fairly how your suppose to compete with Chelsea and Man City who hand out 200k a week contracts to several players, you dont have that problem in Bayren because your the only one able to do that your league but we had no way of competing with that.

Money alone isn't what attract players. Its perspective and a proper chance of winning something and be relevant. The best players aren't alotted to PSG, City and Chelsea. They have some of them, true, but the best are still splitted over Real, Barca and Bayern. Arsenal simply failed to give those star players that chance. RVP left because he knew what was coming, Fabregas left for Barca, because it was the number 1 club at that time and Wenger again wouldn't spent some money for a decent replacment. After the glorious times with Henry, Bergkamp etc. Wenger and the club couldn't sustain that success because they clearly had no concept. The rest of the world moved on, Wenger didn't. That's why he brought up Metesacker, Podolski, Giroud or Özil. All decent players but nothing you can place as a trophy winning spine. Your club simply hesitated to risk something, to invest into perspective and philosophy. Bayern was there from 2002-2009 but we made that turn, because some people in our board saw the need of a structure and some financial risk in investing into international players like Ribery, Robben, Gomez and Neuer and were able to keep them. And our competition isn't Wolfsburg, Gladbach or even Dortmund, no it was back then and now Real, Chelsea, Barca, United, etc.

Remember Arsenal have a higher wage bill than Chelsea right now, or close to.

Obviously hasn't been the case over the years but for it to be there now...suggests some serious mismanagement.

Top Bottom