• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

ND games are an acquired taste, I can't stand how scripted they are personally. Rockstar last gen were mostly pretentious, with Max Payne and Red Dead being boring. They redeemed themselves with GTA V though.

How can having popular hits one after another making them an acquired taste?

The games not being your kind thing I can understand, but they are far from being an acquired taste.

I'm frustrated because Wenger's left us high and dry in our defence and dm positions. Koscielny has had these achilles issues since preseason yet nothing was done about it, Mertesacker has played a shit tonne of football the past 18mths and the second Debuchy went down I knew we were fucked. Monreal is doing the best he can, as is Chambers but Monreal is not a centre back and can't out muscle strong attackers or deal with aerial threats. Chambers will be a great player but patience is required through the tough performances. Wenger forced this upon these players.

That shit is highly annoying and the main reason we're collapsing in key situations this season so far. Those Hull goals were a joke, same with Swansea. Just bullshit.

Wenger needs to stop Chambers at RB. He flat out can not play the position and it is made even worse because he plays like someone who takes up the position of a CB and then leaves the right too exposed and his lack of pace then leaves him to commit silly fouls. Chambers should really be playing as a CB with Kosc out.

Monreal is unfairly getting slack, but at least he is trying to work hard for the team. It takes a very gifted fullback who can switch from fullback to CB in a back four at this stage of their career. Sadly Monreal isn't a good enough defender to make the switch.

wedward

Lol.

As someone who doesn't really play games anymore I find this pretty funny.

The obsession with this shit is crazy. Just don't play the game if it bothers you.

Wenger needs to stop Chambers at RB. He flat out can not play the position and it is made even worse because he plays like someone who takes up the position of a CB and then leaves the right too exposed and his lack of pace then leaves him to commit silly fouls. Chambers should really be playing as a CB with Kosc out.

Monreal is unfairly getting slack, but at least he is trying to work hard for the team. It takes a very gifted fullback who can switch from fullback to CB in a back four at this stage of their career. Sadly Monreal isn't a good enough defender to make the switch.

Not really any other option at RB right now. Don't think Bellerin is ready.

Monreal doesn't deserve any shit. Doing the best he can in a position he is not suited for.

Wenger knows we need a CB. He isn't going to buy one unless the one he wants is available.

Lol.

As someone who doesn't really play games anymore I find this pretty funny.

The obsession with this shit is crazy. Just don't play the game if it bothers you.

Not really any other option at RB right now. Don't think Bellerin is ready.

Monreal doesn't deserve any shit. Doing the best he can in a position he is not suited for.

Wenger knows we need a CB. He isn't going to buy one unless the one he wants is available.

Bellerin might nit be ready, but neither is Chambers. At least Bellerin has pace to be able to stay with his man and recover. Chambers has no long term potential at the position.

Bellerin-Mert-Chambers-Gibbs would be for he best.

Yeah you can't blame Monreal, he is trying his best I am sure.

Yeah it is really tough to make the switch. Maldini and Thuram did it, but both are arguably the best defensive players at their fullback position.

I can't think of too many others who have done a good job when switched, Silvestre was painful to watch at CB for Arsenal.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
have you ever tried telling a 65 y/o to adapt to the times, and change what once worked for them? I know a guy who insists on coming to work through the 'longer road' just because he's been going there for years

another case of: So long Wenger, and thanks for all the fish

but don't sack him guys

Yeah it is really tough to make the switch. Maldini and Thuram did it, but both are arguably the best defensive players at their fullback position.

I can't think of too many others who have done a good job when switched, Silvestre was painful to watch at CB for Arsenal.

Doesn't help that Monreal has the physique of a 13 year old

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

61133158.jpg

have you ever tried telling a 65 y/o to adapt to the times, and change what once worked for them? I know a guy who insists on coming to work through the 'longer road' just because he's been going there for years

another case of: So long Wenger, and thanks for all the fish

but don't sack him guys

I want Wenger to go off to PSG on his own next summer. Let him leave with some dignity

I would actually love to see Leonardo work for Arsenal. He is one of the best directors in football and has great contacts. He knows how to work with the mega agents and can sell a project well to players.

Carragher started as a rightback I think, can't imagine how terrible he must have been in attack :p

I think it's quite common to plan to use young players at fullback, and move them to CB (Kelly and Wisdom probably), but it rarely happens that a fullback moves there by unplanned necessity and excels

Was Ramos always supposed to become a full-time centreback?

Read yesterday about you guys hoping Pep could replace Wenger at Arsenal.

Considering he left Barca because he hated being the spokesperson and the person in charge of everything, I see little hope in that happening unless Arsenal decided to overhaul its management completely.

It's better they find a good manager who doesn't mind that imho, than deconstructing everything even for Guardiola.

Blablurn

It's so refreshing to see Elsk being all happy because of the Last of Us deal. The last time I have seen him like that was after winning the CL under Jupp.

Read yesterday about you guys hoping Pep could replace Wenger at Arsenal.

Considering he left Barca because he hated being the spokesperson and the person in charge of everything, I see little hope in that happening unless Arsenal decided to overhaul its management completely.

It's better they find a good manager who doesn't mind that imho, than deconstructing everything even for Guardiola.

I think it is better to change everything now. The most pressing matter once Wenger leaves is a director of football over a manager. There is a complete lack of football knowledge at the club outside of Wenger. The game has changed so much in the last twenty years and our internal structure is outdated and has helped contribute to our poor fortunes.

I do see Pep one day ending up at Arsenal, he seems like he is a person who would enjoy what London life has to offer over say Manchester.

Blablurn

I think it is better to change everything now. The most pressing matter once Wenger leaves is a director of football over a manager. There is a complete lack of football knowledge at the club outside of Wenger. The game has changed so much in the last twenty years and our internal structure is outdated and has helped contribute to our poor fortunes.

I do see Pep one day ending up at Arsenal, he seems like he is a person who would enjoy what London life has to offer over say Manchester.

Maybe dat London life in Chelsea?

No offense, but why would Guardiola go to a club who can't guarantee they'll finish even in the top 3, and don't have the finances/board to give him the money needed to make title-challenges imminent?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I could imagine Pep has zero desire to work under Roman. Roman was willing to chuck crazy money at Pep and he still declined.

I imagine Roman keeping a Dexter-esque slide box containing the contracts of every manager they hired over the years :lol and you just know that he wants to add Pep to his collection SO BADLY

giphy.gif

Yurt, did you see the disturbing Conte/Balotelli picture?

I did :loool

Blablurn

According to the Pep book I read Abramowitch wanted Pep like crazy. Guardiola always declined to enter talks because he knew that Roman could totally persuade him.

No offense, but why would Guardiola go to a club who can't guarantee they'll finish even in the top 3, and don't have the finances/board to give him the money needed to make title-challenges imminent?

Arsenal have the finances and the board to fight for the title. But the board just let Wenger do what he wants. If Pep came in and said I want to spend 25million on a CB, I think the board would do sanction it.

The board has allowed Wenger free reign and many of the limitations have been self imposed by Wenget.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal have more than enough to do that now with our income that only increases. If Wenger wanted a 25m cb the board would sanction it, if he wanted Schneiderlin then the board would fund the money for that too.

Remember we can save over 200k per week in wages once Podolski, Campbell and Rosciky are no longer on our books. The money is there but Wenger's not ruthless enough with our current squad.

Arsenal have the finances and the board to fight for the title. But the board just let Wenger do what he wants. If Pep came in and said I want to spend 25million on a CB, I think the board would do sanction it.

The board has allowed Wenger free reign and many of the limitations have been self imposed by Wenget.

They'd sanction it of course, but he'd want numerous signings like that imo. Of course you have way more money than you spend, but I don't think you have enough to build a team Guardiola would be satisfied with, in an amount of time he'd be satisfied with.

He'd want to replace everyone in the first 11 except for Sanchez, Koscielny, Sczezhny and possibly Ozil imo

Arsenal have more than enough to do that now with our income that only increases. If Wenger wanted a 25m cb the board would sanction it, if he wanted Schneiderlin then the board would fund the money for that too.

Remember we can save over 200k per week in wages once Podolski, Campbell and Rosciky are no longer on our books. The money is there but Wenger's not ruthless enough with our current squad.

When is Diaby finished? We will save another 60k with him gone.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
in the current state of the mercato. you guys can only really sign one player (without going deep in the red). So, either one class CB or one class DM.

you can thank Madrid and Barca for inflating the market, where Kroos for 30 million was considered a bargain.

They'd sanction it of course, but he'd want numerous signings like that imo. Of course you have way more money than your spend, but I don't think you have enough to build a team Guardiola would be satisfied with, in an amount of time he'd be satisfied with.

The team has quality. All he would need in his first season is a CB, a DM and a striker.

I see him coming to us, but not as his next job. I think it is fair to say that this is Wengers last contract unless he wins back to back titles and then the club will restructure itself. It would be the wrong time for Pep to come plus I see Roma as the next perfect choice for him. Maybe after that he will come to Arsenal and become the first manager to win the four major leagues.

Better start getting a manager who can do what Wenger does, while agreeing to a management transition in the next two years before getting Pep then.

What do you mean by your internal structure as outdated?

Lightning

Banned
The team has quality. All he would need in his first season is a CB, a DM and a striker.

I see him coming to us, but not as his next job. I think it is fair to say that this is Wengers last contract unless he wins back to back titles and then the club will restructure itself. It would be the wrong time for Pep to come plus I see Roma as the next perfect choice for him. Maybe after that he will come to Arsenal and become the first manager to win the four major leagues.
I can see Roma's manager coming to Arsenal after he's finished at Roma.

Lightning, Garcia would be a great choice for our next manager.

in the current state of the mercato. you guys can only really sign one player (without going deep in the red). So, either one class CB or one class DM.

you can thank Madrid and Barca for inflating the market, where Kroos for 30 million was considered a bargain.

Arsenal spent 35 million on Sanchez and 16 on a prospect plus 10 on a RB. Plus our new commercial contracts will kick in this season.

Better start getting a manager who can do what Wenger does, while agreeing to a management transition in the next two years before getting Pep then.

What do you mean by your internal structure as outdated?

Arsenal are pretty much the only top level team with a manager who completely runs the operation of the football side. There are no others involved in the decision making process but him. Football has changed so much in the last 20 years that it just can not work. You can see from his interviews that he has been cracking under the pressure for the last few years and even admits that he isn't great with transfers but refuses to work with someone else.

The club needs to have a football representative on the board and a director of football who can concentrate on building a squad for the manager/head coach to compete with.

jts

...hate me...
Woke up this morning to realise that the PS4 turns off even if it's downloading shit. D'oh!

Consoles are getting too modern for me, or I'm just getting dumber. What was wrong with the PS3's system? Turn off console -> Console is downloading something, want to turn off after downloading? -> Yes -> Go to sleep -> Gaemz in the morning!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mauricio Pochettino is set to receive a significant show of support from the Tottenham Hotspur hierarchy after the London club moved to lure Southampton’s highly rated head of recruitment Paul Mitchell, an ally from St Mary’s, to undertake similar duties at White Hart Lane.

Baldini is so fired.

Jack cw

According to the Pep book I read Abramowitch wanted Pep like crazy. Guardiola always declined to enter talks because he knew that Roman could totally persuade him.

I really doubt that Pep would have taken the job. He rejected Berlusconi and Alex Ferguson, although they came up with their biggest guns. Pep isn't stupid. He knew that there was only one club in Europe that had the skill, age, philosophy and perspective outside of pure money to play something similar like Barcelona. Bayern and Hoeneß also gave him the promise of more power than a regular Bayern coach, as we see today. The club is basically run by Pep on the sport level. He learned from his time under Laporta and Rosell, and is going to avoid any club with a structure of one powerful guy he is under.

Hi everyone. As many of you know, earlier this year we announced that our forthcoming PS4 game, Bloodborne, would launch in February 2015. Unfortunately, I’m here today to announce a short delay to the release date, as we need a few more weeks to deliver you the best possible final experience.

We were really grateful for all the player data and feedback we received from those who took part in our recent limited alpha test, and this extra development time will allow us to better integrate these learnings into the game.

Bloodborne is now set to launch in the PAL region exclusively on PlayStation 4 on 25th March, 2015 (and 28th March in UK and Ireland).

Well now.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Falcao, Jones, Rafael and Evans all doubts for the Arsenal game.

does falcao live in a granny flat on woodward's estate? pretty decent thing to do given his condition. we'll all need someone looking after us one day.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Isn't it bad PR to hire Hoeneß back? Legally speaking, and banter-wise, you're gonna have a convicted criminal running your club

Honestly I'm not worried. Slightly disappointed yes but if it makes the game better I can wait.

<3

DS fans are the best.

no I don't mean the crazy ones in Gaming side :lol

Top Bottom