• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

qindarka

Banned
That list is far beyond anyone's comprehension. I'll never make a list again.

Evans and Jones and Mertesacker and Koscielny and Rojo above Cahill. - This will take a while:

Cahill is made to look good by Mourinho's defensive organization. He is a very limited player, excellent at heading and last ditch tackles but has many weaknesses such as his propensity to back away from runners.

Koscielny was one part of the best CB partnership in the league. His absence has been sorely missed.

Rojo was a rock during Argentina's final run.

I've browsed through United forums for years and have so often seen Evans being referred to as United's best CB, even while Vidic and Ferdinand were still around (albeit in the midst of their decline)

Jones- Fergie wouldn't talk so highly of him for nothing, he is versatile, and his first appearances for United in 11/12 showed his potency as an attacking threat. Not for nothing was he compared to Beckenbauer, even if that was a little hyperbolic

Balotelli. - Has been poor with Liverpool I admit but his mercurial talent is undeniable. Has come up big at a major tournament before (Euro 2012)

Sczeszny. - A few dodgy moments but overall an extremely good keeper who has saved Arsenal many times. Also broke into the team at a young age which is a testament to his quality

Hart. - Was the best keeper in the league back in 11/12. Was poor the following season and a bit but class is permanent and all that and he's been vert solid since then. You don't hold a place down at an elite team without being quality

Blind. - Key part of the Holland team that finished 3rd in the World Cup, also those gourgeous assists on the big occasion

Badstuber. - Guardiola rates him so highly, Bayern fans often say he would be the best defender they have if not for injuries.

Piqué.- A starter as Barca and Spain won everything. Recent form may be poor but I'd say class is permanent

Maicon - Was once the best RB in the world, fell off after that but has since regained much of his form at Roma

Menez. - Milan fans often call him their best attacking player. May be a tad generous, wanted to give some love to one of the world's biggest clubs

Lavezzi.- Played so much for the excellent Napoli and now PSG sides, starter in Argentina's World Cup Final run and played well in that match

Explanations in bold.

inky

*list*

cRQjbcP.gif

faridmon

Speaking of which, I can't believe how much traction the Barkley's dive is getting in the media especially in MotD. He was ashamed by it, hence him getting up so fast. One mistake, and the guy is bloody criminal.

qindarka

Banned
the inclusion of luiz is my favourite thing about that list.

He is like Koscielny, people focus on their few mistakes that make them look really ridiculous while ignoring the fact that they are so great 95% of the time. Luiz came up big even while recovering from injury in the CL final, has consistently played well for Chelsea in two very different positions and PSG fans already love him. People perhaps understandably, focus on his diabolical performance in the biggest match of his career, but its still only one match.

qindarka

Banned
nor can i

Qin, so much of your reasoning is "they said this, they said that"

Do YOU think Evans and Badstuber are world class? Or do you only say so because some United fans on the Internet and Pep think so?

Fans are the ones who know their own team best. And who am I to contradict Pep and Fergie, two of the all time greats.

Fintan

Fans are the ones who know their own team best. And who am I to contradict Pep and Fergie, two of the all time greats.
Qin, you need to have confidence in your own opinions. You know just as much about football as Pep and Fergie. As illustrated by your insightful list.

qindarka

Banned
Fergie bought Eric Djemba Djemba. Do you think he's brilliant?

No, then again, Fergie didn't call Djemba Djemba potentially United's greatest ever player either.

BTW, some stuff to back up my inclusion of Evans:

http://community.manutd.com/forums/p/224826/1967014.aspx
http://thepeoplesperson.com/2013/10...ow-have-the-best-defender-in-the-world-30288/
http://www.talkmanutd.com/index.php...nutd/jonny-evans-our-underrated-superstar-r11

He also once kicked Drogba in the chest in the box and somehow got Drogba booked. Some supernatural talent right there.

You can't prove he didn't say that.

It's not my onus to disprove anything. It's impossible to disprove every possible claim, What matters is what he has been proven to have actually said:

Direct quote:

"You saw Jones tonight," Ferguson told Sky Sports. "Arguably, the way he is looking, he could be our best ever player."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...erguson-praises-manchester-uniteds-phil-jones

faridmon

Farid, I've started learning how to work with Autocad. I'm gonna design houses now okay :p

The one skill I posses and its easily gotten by another in short amount of time.

Damn indeed.

Emptyhad indeed

I told my mate that its not gonna sell out and we should go to Manchetser to watch some CL football, he said that is impossible.

Linius

The one skill I posses and its easily gotten by another in short amount of time.

Damn indeed.

Emptyhad indeed

I told my mate that its not gonna sell out and we should go to Manchetser to watch some CL football, he said that is impossible.

Haha, wish it were easy. We're gonna use mostly to create overviews I suppose. To see where roads go and design new layouts.

Top Bottom