• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

ICKE

Banned
So HJK v. FC Copenhagen 2-1

10808676_644198729048459_2102221761_n.jpg

Respect for the tifo...Not so much for :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aS46Ex79q0 lol

Darker

Banned
Yep, though I thought the story was poop, and some of the humour was BBC3-level.

I agree.

It's a very base, lowest common denominator 'story'/'main content', because it has a broad and wide audience of mainly, well, the lowest common denominator. It is a game where you run people over and shoot police, and most people buy it and play it for that, and occasionally enjoy how Trevor is crazy and how Franklin says 'nigger'. It's entirely at odds with its technical prowess and artistic (the literal 'art') metric, but that merit and prowess could not be afforded without the popularity of the baseness.

I never knew when GTA's narrative or non-interactive content picked up this mantle of being apparent 'high-art', because it's obviously not and I don't think has ever tried to be - people conflated the high standing of the studio and the gifted nature of the technology and workers with a supposed self-fellating appreciation of a satirical genius. I don't think Rockstar have ever claimed their stories to be outstanding - certainly when compared to the gross arrogance of Bungie or Bioware.

The brilliance of GTA's non-interactive content usually lies at the fringes, where 99% of people won't notice and don't care to find it. Bits of the radio (usually the talk radio), sparks of NPC dialogue, the more subtle street signs and businesses - the little touches. GTA IV was absolutely superb in this regard, and it's the best in the entire series in this regards by miles.

Problem with GTA V, in short, is it catered to the easy player. Have a city, a desert and an ocean. Have car handling that will never punish you - cars don't fall apart like in GTA IV, you can never turn one upside one irrevocably. Have super abilities to get you out of any tight spot and have every mission with an explosive set-piece. Planes, trains and automobiles, all yours from the get go, all your sandbox of golf and tennis and tattoos and radio stations which slow time as you choose them.

GTA IV felt like a game they wanted to make, while GTA V is a game everyone wanted them to make. People got angry with GTA IV because they felt like the series owes them something - it should be 'their' GTA. GTA IV was difficult and cold by design (mostly). GTA V was all things to all men and nothing to me.

Jarnet87

So Shaw may be out the rest of 2014, always good when you have zero replacements. Rojo could be back in the squad but likely won't start, imagine he goes to left back when fit. if not maybe Reece James or Blackett. I can't see van Gaal sticking with a 3-5-2 just because Shaw is out.

Robin van Persie may lose Manchester United place after dip in belief

Robin van Persie faces an anxious wait to discover if he has lost his Manchester United place after Louis van Gaal broke with his usual policy of not discussing the striker’s deterioration to accept his player was “very bad” in their last game and was suffering from his first sustained spell of damaged confidence since joining the club.

Radamael Falcao’s return from injury puts Van Persie’s place under pressure for Saturday’s game at home to Hull City but the Colombian has not played for five weeks and it is James Wilson, an 18-year-old “knocking on the door”, who is more prominently in Van Gaal’s thoughts. “We shall see tomorrow,” Van Gaal said to the question of whether he would be confident enough to start the teenager. “You shall see if I give him that confidence.”

Arnie

GTAV is sensational.

Watched the Star Wars trailer about six times.

Bought TWD season two (finished the first).

Had a chinese.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I really hope someone other than RvP starts tomorrow, they wont, but I just want to see what Falcao and Wilson can do with the chances he gets, hes fluffed so many this season.

Wilbur

Banned
GTAV is sensational.

Watched the Star Wars trailer about six times.

Bought TWD season two (finished the first).

Had a chinese.

Sensational night.

Where are you in the game? I finished it all on PS3 and am near the end again on PS4. Played around 35 hours already on this version, probably clocked up 80 odd on the last one.

Arnie

Sensational night.

Where are you in the game? I finished it all on PS3 and am near the end again on PS4. Played around 35 hours already on this version, probably clocked up 80 odd on the last one.

Just had all of the three characters meet up; did the mission where you end up meeting Franklin by the oil pumps.

Led in bed, don't know whether to go back on it for an hour or just get some kip. Out of booze so I'd have to make a cup of tea.

Christ I've got John Williams rattling around my brain. Dum dum dur durrrr

Wilbur

Banned
I've watched it a million times too. And every single time I get to this part

ZxVBNuE.gif

I start smiling. Can't help smiling.

Dean and I used to watch the original trilogy about once a fortnight, had the special editions on video. By the time the prequels rolled around, LOTR came and won my heart.

The Hobbit's kinda lost it. Time for Star Wars to win me over again.

Wilbur

Banned
:lol

Lets do it.

Will have to go for a drink again soon as well.

Look up local black tie events and we'll put some trackie bottoms on and have a ball.

Elchele

I don't love any of the Star Wars movies, so I'm all in for this new one. I do love the Star Wars universe setting and such, so I'm really excited.

one year to go, tho

3Sixty

For anyone interested Coral online are doing 2/1 on Erving to win the Fighting Fifth hurdle at Newcastle from 8:15 tomorrow morning. £10 max stake and these offers only last about 10mins.

He'll go off for the race comfortably odds on so 2/1 is great.

wedward

I've watched it a million times too. And every single time I get to this part

ZxVBNuE.gif

I start smiling. Can't help smiling.

Dean and I used to watch the original trilogy about once a fortnight, had the special editions on video. By the time the prequels rolled around, LOTR came and won my heart.

The Hobbit's kinda lost it. Time for Star Wars to win me over again.

Feel like this movie will be a Star Trek situation for me. Die-hards will whine and I will love it.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't love any of the Star Wars movies, so I'm all in for this new one. I do love the Star Wars universe setting and such, so I'm really excited.

one year to go, tho

Yeah, I'm fascinated by some of the ideas that the prequels absolutely botched.

For anyone interested Coral online are doing 2/1 on Erving to win the Fighting Fifth hurdle at Newcastle from 8:15 tomorrow morning. £10 max stake and these offers only last about 10mins.

He'll go off for the race comfortably odds on so 2/1 is great.

Don't even know if I have a tenner to spare taking a risk, however small that may be. I'm deathly poor right now. Fucking Christmas.

Wilbur

Banned
Feel like this movie will be a Star Trek situation for me. Die-hards will whine and I will love it.

Yeah; I really enjoyed both of JJ's ST films despite not knowing anything about the series (besides the obvious stuff everyone knows), and despite them being pretty poorly written.

They're entertaining action movies.

3Sixty

Don't even know if I have a tenner to spare taking a risk, however small that may be. I'm deathly poor right now. Fucking Christmas.

It's a risk no doubt, i wouldn't touch it at its normal price tbh but at 2/1 there is tons of value. Don't do it if things are tight.

Esch

Banned
New Star Wars seems and sounds boring. More empire shit (zzzz), old actors brought back from the grave, tatooine again after it's been in 3 films. If it gets decent scores I might be interested, but I'd rather something totally new than a direct sequel.

It'll probably look nice though.

Top Bottom