• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Blablurn

Neuer was basically Germany's Cannavaro in the WC, right? Leading by example and being an absolute force of a capitano. Just one look at him roaring electrifies the whole team

I don't even remember who was Germany's Pirlo (as in, their actual best player in the tournament), was it really Lahm? I don't know

Buffon was only a few votes away from winning it himself too (dude was ON FIREEEE)

Fabio was voted '1st' 20 times to Buffon's 14.

if she insists

I think in Germanys case it was a pure team performance. There was no standout. But many nice lil stories. Like Thomas Müller hattrick against Portugal. Klose breaking Ronaldos record against Brazil, Götze shooting the winning goal as a sub, Schweini sacrificing himself for the team, Hummels scoring a vicious header against France etc.

Jack cw

EH

you won't find many saying he's better than peak Buffon, unless they were born post 2006.

Funny thing is that Neuer is on a peak for 5 years and gets better every season and like all the great keepers, his best years are still to come. I'm not saying he's better than Buffon, pls read my posts. I'm saying that his other qualities make him the overall best.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Zoff
Buffon
Neuer

Pls.

Lev Yashin.

Sviatoslav, tell them.

Seaman_Coverart.png

Fuck :lol Kloppo is such a tragic figure now :lol surely he ought to shoulder some of the blame now? Or his staff at least? Their injury record has nothing to do with luck, it's a clear trend.

I just read an article from some Dutch fitness guy who pretty much says this and I thought it was interesting. According to him, most coaches train badly and that can lead to a lot of injuries. He has worked with van Gaal for the Netherlands and says that van Gaal is really terrible at it. The guy also blames van Gaal for the injured United players. He also says that Klopp might be training wrong as well and talks about a higher number of injuries after Oliver Bartlett (our former fitness coach) left us in 2012. He'd need more insight to judge that properly, however.

Furthermore, he says that Mourinho and Guardiola train well. That made me kind of laugh. Bayern has a similar amount of injured players as we have/had and questioning Klopp while praising Guardiola seems pretty strange. Don't get me wrong, I believe that coaches don't train perfectly. But I don't think they are the main factors to blame for injuries. Look at players like Ronaldo or Lewandowski, they are machines, hardly ever injured. You could say they are lucky, I think they just work very well off the pitch. They know their body really well and that prevents injuries.

Robben is the most interesting case. He was constantly injured in his earlier years and now he's in really great shape. I'd also say that has not much to do with his coaches, I think he learned how to take care of his body properly. The way I see it, Robben always tried to come back as soon as possible from an injury. And that was way too early most of the time. I think he's more relaxed about that now and gives his body the rest it needs.

And I think that's the main problem, most players don't know their body that well or don't respect their limits. That fitness guy also says that coaches should talk much more with how their players feel and limit the training based on that. But there's the problem that most of the players simply won't admit that they are tired. Look at Bender for example, the guy would probably continue to play with a broken leg or something.

I agree with the stopper quality, but keeper play is obviously not only about saving some rockets on the line. The sheer amount of crosses he intercepted are pretty much easy goals against most other keepers. His ability to catch even impossible shots from short distance and catching high crosses and being able to handle the ball and pass it pitch perfect over 50+ yards is unique. I guess all that makes him the overall best keeper. Buffon and Kahn where maybe even better than him on the line though.

And Buffon had some of the best defenders at his time in front of him. Something Bayern or Schalke never had, maybe this years Bayern defence is decent but mostly it's Neuer who does the lions share of disabling the threat.

Yep, Neuer is most likely a better footballer, Buffon never had a chance to show it. in fact I remember a story from Edwin Van Der Sar when asked about his time at Juve. he said he had just come from Ajax where he was expected to be a passer, so in one of his first few games for Juve he made a short pass from a goal kick and the defender started scream at him because he was expected to bot it up the pitch. He realised he wouldnt be at Juve for long.

Opinions and all, I guess you know how they work when Italians praising Itialian keepers.

Are you not a German/bayern fan?

Buffon was playing as a 17 year old in the most competitive era of the greatest league in history, his debut game featured him playing against two ballo d'or winners and kept a clean sheet. Buffon was such a force from an early age and beat out over world class goalkeepers like Peruzzi, Toldo, and VDS at club and country.

Yes I have a bias towards Buffon, but 20 years at the absolute top is incredible. How many non injury plagued seasons has he not been one of the top 5 goalkeepers in the world?

Best player to ever play for your country?

For me it's easy and without a doubt Gheorghe Hagi

Nicknamed "The Maradona of the Carpathians"

I'm sad that I was too young to see him play live.

Goalkeeper: Buffon
Defender:Maldini
Midfielder: Pirlo
#10: Totti
Striker: Vieri

Those are the best players I have witnessed for Italy in their positions. Totti gets a lot of shit from people about his Italian performances, but when he was on fire then Italy played some great football. Best player would have to be Maldini for me. It makes it even more heartbreaking that his final moment in an azzurri shirt was him being out jumped for the golden goal against Korea. Apart from that he was almost perfect in every match of his 126(?) caps.

I would then put Pirlo as the second best to have ever played, because while Totti is greater, I have still witnessed Baggio and Del Piero. Nobody else has ever come close to Pirlo in his position. Hopefully Veratti will step up over the next decade.

Jack cw

Furthermore, he says that Mourinho and Guardiola train well. That made me kind of laugh. Bayern has a similar amount of injured players as we have/had and questioning Klopp while praising Guardiola seems pretty strange. Don't get me wrong, I believe that coaches don't train perfectly. But I don't think they are the main factors to blame for injuries. Look at players like Ronaldo or Lewandowski, they are machines, hardly ever injured. You could say they are lucky, I think they just work very well off the pitch. They know their body really well and that prevents injuries.
You should really read the Pep book. He insisted to get a fitness coach, a guy who handles the training as perfect as possible because he KNOWS he trains bad. The reason many of our players are injured are not really a result of the playstyle or training. Look at Thiago, Martinez, Alaba or Lahm. Those were classic trauma injuries in tackles. Nothing to do with training. Schweinsteiger, Badstuber and Ribery were small injuries that got worse because they didn't get the pause they needed. Blame internationals and important club matches or no alternative at the positions. The only training injury I can remember is Lahm but he obviously twisted his ankle while dribbling, so how much can you blame it on the training here?

Robben is the most interesting case. He was constantly injured in his earlier years and now he's in really great shape. I'd also say that has not much to do with his coaches, I think he learned how to take care of his body properly. The way I see it, Robben always tried to come back as soon as possible from an injury. And that was way too early most of the time. I think he's more relaxed about that now and gives his body the rest it needs.
Something that happened because the medical staff of Bayern worked out a program for him and his body. Arjen said that he does gym training every two days to keep his muscles strong to compensate for the sensitive ligaments. That happened over tha last few years. It's not like Robben woke up and said hey, let's do it that way. He needed to be convinced by Heynckes, Rummenigge and Pep to work with Müller-Wohlfahrt and Bayerns fitness staff and it obviously works. All written in the book too.
Are you not a German/bayern fan?

Of course I'am and we all have our preferences and opinions and as long as we can bring up soild arguements for either of them, then I'm fine. Comparisions are pretty useless as we could never measure in direct compettion though.

I'm not going to criticize Gaal for the injuries. His philosophy clearly states that he assesses himself and his staff. The injury situation will improve, but not for our defense. Those fucks will never be truly alive.

Of course I'am and we all have our preferences and opinions and as long as we can bring up soild arguements for either of them, then I'm fine. Comparisions are pretty useless as we could never measure in direct compettion though.

Yep, as i said earlier, i hope he wins it because right now there is nobody anywhere near as good as him over the last couple of years

Jack cw

Yep, as i said earlier, i hope he wins it because right now there is nobody anywhere near as good as him over the last couple of years

As goalie yes, but let's face it, this whole balon d'or is a charade for marketing purposes. Neuer is German, plays in Bundesliga and has no chance against two guys that everybody in the world knows and are backed as tier1 testimonials from their sponsors.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Milch, PLEASE tell me it's HIM

dude is still running around with an EGG on twitter

Well I forgot the name and can't look it up right now as it was in a magazine. But how many fitness coaches did the Netherland have at the WC? I guess that must be him if you know him.

You should really read the Pep book. He insisted to get a fitness coach, a guy who handles the training as perfect as possible because he KNOWS he trains bad. The reason many of our players are injured are not really a result of the playstyle or training. Look at Thiago, Martinez, Alaba or Lahm. Those were classic trauma injuries in tackles. Nothing to do with training. Schweinsteiger, Badstuber and Ribery were small injuries that got worse because they didn't get the pause they needed. Blame internationals and important club matches or no alternative at the positions. THe only training injury I can remember is Lahm but he obviously twisted his ankle while dribbling, so how much can you blame it on the training here?
Well, it's not like we don't have a fitness coach. And many people are/were still blaming Klopp for all the injuries. See, you can say the same thing for our players. Gündogan, Reus and Hummels got injured at the national team. Kuba and Subotic similar to Martinez' injury. Schmelzer broke his fucking hand :lol. Then there's Bender and Sahin left. And Bender is a pretty classic case of rushing back too early. So you could blame Klopp on Sahin. Okay. Only one player? You might as well say he was unlucky.

Something that happened because the medical staff of Bayern worked out a program for him and his body. Arjen said that he does gym training every two days to keep his muscles strong to compensate for the sensitive ligaments. That happened over tha last few years. It's not like Robben woke up and said hey, let's do it that way. He needed to be convinced by Heynckes, Rummenigge and Pep to work with Müller-Wohlfahrt and Bayerns fitness staff and it obviously works. All written in the book too.
Yes, of course Robben doesn't do it alone. But Robben learned to respect his body and experts' opinions. And he didn't do that before. And that's the main difference.

I can't wait until Messi and Ronaldo are gone. I'm tired of football revolving around them.

I was thinking about this recently because Totti extended his oldest goalscorer record in the CL and some people say Messi will be a good midfielder when his career winds down. Got me thinking about what the future holds for them both. I don't think Ronaldo is a good enough overall player to keep performing at a high level when his pace goes. Of course he is a freak of nature so could still be performing at a high level for another 7-8 years before his pace starts leaving. Messi on the other hand is a more natural footballer so should still be able to perform at a high level like Totti in that position when he is 38.

Jack cw

Well, it's not like we don't have a fitness coach. And many people are/were still blaming Klopp for all the injuries. See, you can say the same thing for our players. Gündogan, Reus and Hummels got injured at the national team. Kuba and Subotic similar to Martinez' injury. Schmelzer broke his fucking hand :lol. Then there's Bender and Sahin left. And Bender is a pretty classic case of rushing back too early. So you could blame Klopp on Sahin. Okay. Only one player? You might as well say he was unlucky.

Yes, of course Robben doesn't do it alone. But Robben learned to respect his body and experts' opinions. And he didn't do that before. And that's the main difference.

Injuries are part of the game and even with a huge staff of fitness and training guys you can't avoid them and I also think that the talk about the system is to blame for injuries is utter crap. The pressure and liabilty do have an effect though. The more the system is based on quick changes in speed and direction and risky one on ones, the chance of getting injured increases. But I can't agree with Klopp making out injuries as one of the main reasons why BVB is last. He has still competent players but uses them not properly because a shift in tactics might appear risky for him or doesn't trust some players to be able to play something different.

Imagine. In 7 years everything will be about Januzay and Sinan Kurt. What a time this will be.

Well In 8 years when Italy win the world cup, the nominations will be Scuffet, Verratti, Berardi, El Shaarawy. Pogba will also get a nomination for winning the CL for PSG.

They have expanded it to top 5 by 2022

Injuries are part of the game and even with a huge staff of fitness and training guys you can't avoid them and I also think that the talk about the system is to blame for injuries is utter crap. The pressure and liabilty do have an effect though. The more the system is based on quick changes in speed and direction and risky one on ones, the chance of getting injured increases. But I can't agree with Klopp making out injuries as one of the main reasons why BVB is last. He has still competent players but uses them not properly because a shift in tactics might appear risky for him or doesn't trust some players to be able to play something different.

I would say that our main problem right now is that we don't have a player that can lead the team. After every goal we concede, the team just gets even more fucked up. The two players, that are fit, are not doing much. Weidenfeller looks like he doesn't give a shit anymore. He was mad crazy running around the field and yelling at his team mates, you don't see this anymore. And I guess Kehl is struggling with his new role, he wants to step back and not interfere with Hummels as the new captain.

We really need Reus and Hummels back as soon as possible, which sucks because Reus is out for this year and Hummels needs some time to get in shape. Kuba is another player that could lead us but after such a long break, I doubt he can improve us instantly, either. The last hope is Schmelzer really. People give him shit but he's very important for the team.

Edit: Oh and Sokratis of course, hope he's back soon...

That video of Ronaldo calling Pea, Jese and Nacho shit :lol :lol :lol

Hahahahahaha

(It's about racing not football, something like that)

Jack cw

I would say that our main problem right now is that we don't have a player that can lead the team. After every goal we concede, the team just gets even more fucked up. The two players, that are fit, are not doing much. Weidenfeller looks like he doesn't give a shit anymore. He was mad crazy running around the field and yelling at his team mates, you don't see this anymore. And I guess Kehl is struggling with his new role, he wants to step back and not interfere with Hummels as the new captain.

We really need Reus and Hummels back as soon as possible, which sucks because Reus is out for this year and Hummels needs some time to get in shape. Kuba is another player that could lead us but after such a long break, I doubt he can improve us instantly, either. The last hope is Schmelzer really. People give him shit but he's very important for the team.

Edit: Oh and Sokratis of course, hope he's back soon...
I guess they are all afraid and insecure at the moment and it's understandable. Sure, the game simply wont run in their favour at the moment but the whole lack of confidence in their own strength seems gone. They system that they relied on for years simply wont give them the upper hand anymore and Klopp and the squad seem to have no answer at the moment. All those goals Dortmund concedes are of course pretty stupid ones but a result of a system that the players are unable to execute. It basically always starts with a missed pass in midfield and a simple counter that results in a goal or a mistake in defence because mostly Weidenfeller or another player wants to set a sign and does something the other players wont expect and once they are behind the fear starts freezing them and they lose any confidence that is left. Seeing Klopp unable to do anything makes me sad too, because I like to see Dortmund in the upper table. I don't know how to get out of this spiral. You won against Gladbach and played very well, but lacked to score. That success still didn't give you enough confidence to start wining, the opposite happened. It looks like a huge psychologiacal barrier that the whole club has and because of no solution and way out you forgot to play football. The fear of failure is your biggest enemy at the moment and I think it needs time to accept that it's about staying in the league and fight with dirty and unattractive football.

"They call him The Special One, but I like to refer to him as The Perfect One.
ib2prFi25kEdBe.png

Did scoring the last-minute winner in the 2013 Europa League Final go any way to making up for being banned in Munich in 2012?

No, it did not.
"

i5Vygw4jMLetG.gif

Hixx

Watching motd. When Costa got booked, Catts turned to mourinho and started clapping. My lip reading skills tell me he says "fucking shithouse, Jose!"

What a lad.

I guess they are all afraid and insecure at the moment and it's understandable. Sure, the game simply wont run in their favour at the moment but the whole lack of confidence in their own strength seems gone. They system that they relied on for years simply wont give them the upper hand anymore and Klopp and the squad seem to have no answer at the moment. All those goals Dortmund concedes are of course pretty stupid ones but a result of a system that the players are unable to execute. It basically always starts with a missed pass in midfield and a simple counter that results in a goal or a mistake in defence because mostly Weidenfeller or another player wants to set a sign and does something the other players wont expect and once they are behind the fear starts freezing them and they lose any confidence that is left. Seeing Klopp unable to do anything makes me sad too, because I like to see Dortmund in the upper table. I don't know how to get out of this spiral. You won against Gladbach and played very well, but lacked to score. That success still didn't give you enough confidence to start wining, the opposite happened. It looks like a huge psychologiacal barrier that the whole club has and because of no solution and way out you forgot to play football. The fear of failure is your biggest enemy at the moment and I think it needs time to accept that it's about staying in the league and fight with dirty and unattractive football.

The Paderborn match was the breaking point lately. We played good football and were up 2-1 against Paderborn but completely lost it after Reus' injury. The team lost the last bit of confidence with the injury.

neither Ico nor SotC even make the top 25 on ps2 on metacritic, so this isn't exactly true is it

Metacritic? Please. Both review scores are not as high but have been praised by almost everyone.

Other than than bad frame drops at some parts, SoTC & Ico are among the games of the generation during the PS2 years and anyone who doesn't say both games are critically lauded are fucking blind.

Top Bottom