• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Good news Liverpool fans.

B32pyjRCMAElWku.jpg

neither Ico nor SotC even make the top 25 on ps2 on metacritic, so this isn't exactly true is it

You're talking about a console that had a billion fantastic games on it, and 2 games which are still talked about 12 years on or so from the first. Reviews aren't the only critical works by people in the games industry. Also, why the arbitrary Top 25 Metacritic criteria?

Godan

I cant really remember what kinda money Blackburn had at the time just know that they were the only team outa like the 3 - 4 known teams to have win it.

Anyone feel a one game ban would be sufficient for Balotelli?

Obviously it was stupid to like that image, and the FA can't be seen to condone that kind of thing, but he's very clearly not racist against any of the groups mentioned in it

Jack cw

= His point stands, if you want success in Germany then you support Monaco.

You win the league 50% of the time, if that's not guaranteed success then I dont know what is
Look, Bayern wasn't even involved in founding the league in the 60s. We were basically a very mediocre Bavarian team for decades and "Nüremburg" was the number one club in Bavaria as well as a top club in the Bundesliga back then. Things turned around with clever managment and great players we had that dominated football in the 70s. Then Hoeness got manager and turned the club into a company and the result is a club that won 50% of the championships. Still, there were enough years where we were beaten and outclassed by the domestic competition and yes we bought our competitors empty. Nothing a Bayern fan is really proud of, but things changed when we were able to compete with the top 3 in the world and our focus now is own youth, german national players and international class players. We bough one of those from Dortmund, ok.

Stil, all of this has nothing to do with Dortmund. Their problems in defence are there for 2 years and are now heavily exposed, the squad and transfer policy is questionable and the system is overdue. Again, what does this have to do with Bayern having success? We work as hard as any other club to maintain it and decided to be a top club, meaning top wages, top transfers and all. There is no middleground between a regional club and a top club. Something Dortmund is getting as a lesson right now.

Article on the rise of the new LAD culture:

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9589572/F365-Says

The Lad Bible are the standard-bearers for a damaging trend of LAD culture, a faux-humorous exterior covering a core of sexism, misogyny and homophobia. This is b**ter gone bad.

You will notice the alteration to the b-word in the final paragraph. Once banter could be written without asterisks, its definition encompassing the genuinely harmless gentle teasing given and taken between friends. It then progressed to single asterisk status, as it became slowly bastardised to include victimisation and bullying, and we felt dirty using the word in anything other than a sarcastic context. We have now entered the age of two asterisks - how long until "It was just b*****" is the defence?

Let us not doubt the deeply damaging messages these sites send out. UniLAD, a website with a similar title, message and ethos to The Lad Bible, were harangued in 2012 for a post that read 'If the girl you've taken for a drink won't 'spread for your head', think about this mathematical statistic: 85% of rape cases go unreported. That seems to be fairly good odds'. A post from four days ago on The Lad Bible shows a train pulling into 'Slutstation'. 'Next stop your mum's house,' the message reads. A lack of humour, a lack of decency and a lack of any obvious intelligence. And people can't get enough of it.

Furthermore, if you think that this increase in laddish culture is just a passing fad, you are wrong. The Lad Bible, whose name appears on that racist meme, have over a million followers on Twitter and 6.6 million likes on Facebook.

We may have rid ourselves of Dapper Laughs, but his popularity should still be a concern. This is less a sleazy underground movement than an arrogant march through the streets, half clad in Hollister or Jack Wills and the others in plunged-neck t-shirts and sleeve tattoos, all off their tits on Jagerbombs and a sense of entitlement.

The National Union of Students recently revealed that 50% of people surveyed in a study identified a culture of harassment at their universities. The next generation is being educated by the message that causing offence is acceptable, a weak defence of 'I didn't even think so it can't be my fault'. Who is telling them otherwise?

The Lad Bible, which began its life with a list of commandments including references to forced sex, homophobic slurs and misogyny, has now progressed into a business. An actual business. They have offices in Manchester city centre, and regularly advertise for 'content managers' and 'social media interns'. Knowing which casually racist or chauvinistic statement will go viral is clearly a nuanced art. If it didn't make you want to weep for the future of society and humanity, you'd have to laugh.

Mildly sickening.

The world's gone positively Nathan Barley.

pulga

Banned
I love how people just care about Dortmund right now because they keep an eye on Klopp. Hoping he will become their new coach soon. Once Klopp is gone, nobody will care about Dortmund anymore.

The same goes for Bayern once Pep leaves :(

As if anyone but bundesfaces give a fuck about Bayern

I'm not a Bayern fan but piling on them for succeeding is just bizarre. They did it "fairly" (fair in terms of what you people think) as opposed to foreign investment. If that's the worst thing you can say about a club then damn they must be doing amazing.

>hate on clubs that get bought out by rich owners
>still hate on clubs that earn their success

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS PLS

also let's not kid ourselves, every single club on the planet would sell their souls to be in Bayern's position.

I was joking about Blackburn obviously, but I do think there are big differences

Man Utd earned all the money they've spent over the duration of the PL's existence, in combination with incredibly astute recruitment and the GOAT manager.

Arsenal also spent a significant amount, but it was money they'd also made through the club itself afaik. And both of those clubs did it with an absolute ton of players coming through their youth systems (or at least buying very young players who weren't necessarily guaranteed to succeed), and fantastic scouting and recruitment.

Blackburn, Chelsea and City on the other hand were basically propelled to a level beyond their former selves by investment they hadn't earned as such. Would I complain if Liverpool got the same backing*? No. Is it as noteworthy an achievement to win the league in such circumstances as it is to build a club through years and years of ultracompetency? Fuck no.

*yes, I'm aware that we've spent more than enough to do a hell of a lot better than we have done over the PL's existence

I'm not a Bayern fan but piling on them for succeeding is just bizarre. They did it "fairly" (fair in terms of what you people think) as opposed to foreign investment. If that's the worst thing you can say about a club then damn they must be doing amazing.

>hate on clubs that get bought out by rich owners
>still hate on clubs that earn their success

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS PLS

No one is piling on Bayern the club right now. Yurt was just saying that Bayern fans have no right to say they had dark times. Ask the rest of the german fans that don't support Bayern what they think of that. My guess is that they find the notion laughable.

The same applies to Real Madrid, United, etc.. fans. Why do you think some people in this thread were fed up with United fans complaining about Moyes. Almost every club in England would love that kind of "dark time" for their club.

El Topo

Blackburn, Chelsea and City on the other hand were basically propelled to a level beyond their former selves by investment they hadn't earned as such.

Chelsea and City sold their very soul, they earned the money.

No one is piling on Bayern the club right now. Yurt was just saying that Bayern fans have no right to say they had dark times. Ask the rest of the german fans that don't support Bayern what they think of that. My guess is that they find the notion laughable.

Bayern had dark times, they just lie long in the past (pre-70s).

Blablurn

The same applies to Real Madrid, United, etc.. fans. Why do you think some people in this thread were fed up with United fans complaining about Moyes. Almost every club in England would love that kind of "dark time" for their club.

:lol

I remember when people already said Bayern is old news when Dortmund won it 2 times in a row. Ask anyone in Germany. They all thought Bayern was dead. And believe me. If you lose everything in one year, it is a dark time.

Everything that happened after 2012 is a wonder. No one expected Bayern to become so strong.

Salazar

Anyone feel a one game ban would be sufficient for Balotelli?

Obviously it was stupid to like that image, and the FA can't be seen to condone that kind of thing, but he's very clearly not racist against any of the groups mentioned in it

I think it serves no educative purpose to ban him - in the sense that none of these punishments get through to Mario himself. And Liverpool won't sort him out. Increasingly meaningless footballer.

I'm in favour of more substantial censure, though. I can't be having laddish chuckles about that kind of shite.

I can't believe I was fucking stupid enough to open the gaming side thread -

i don't see a huge problem in the odd dig at a group of people who were very money oriented historically.

Other fuckwits gibbering about "the Jewish lobby pulling the strings".

pulga

Banned

m8 I wouldnt wish the Pep Era darkness on anyone :( It was the worst of times.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Wait Jack, so you've only started winning in the 70s? THATS EVEN WORSE

Anyway not sure what you're on about, Kloppo is still right :/

Exactly.

Jack cw

Bayern had dark times, they just lie long in the past (pre-70s).

Depends. Sure we had nothing to do with relegation, but losing the CL final in the most painful way 1999 was dark. The year with Klinsmann that hurt EVERY Bayern supporter, the two years against Dortmund, where we were outclassed and the 2012 finals, were we got beaten dramatically. Sure, compared to relegation these seem like first world problems but the pain when you fail is basically the same.
Wait Jack, so you've only started winning in the 70s? THATS EVEN WORSE

Anyway not sure what you're on about, Kloppo is still right :/
He is right about that we have success. But we are not fans because of this, but for what our club represents and plays. And it's no class that only the success gives us happiness. It's arrogant and childish to think that privilege of "ture" fandom is exclusive to his club.

El Topo

Depends. Sure we had nothing to do with relegation, but losing the CL final in the most painful way 1999 was dark. The year with Klinsmann that hurt EVERY Bayern supporter, the two years against Dortmund, where we were outclassed and the 2012 finals, were we got beaten dramatically. Sure, compared to relegation these seem like first world problems but the pain when you fail is basically the same.

I just wouldn't call it a dark time, it's not like we got relegated for cheating and bribing, it's not like we had ten years of mediocrity. Some moments hurt a lot, absolutely, but I fear calling them dark times is unfair when I look e.g. at the shit FCK or Frankfurt have gone through.

Wilbur

Banned
The failure is relative. It hurt as much coming seventh last year for United as it probably did for some teams getting relegated or coming close to it. It sounds stupid and out of touch with the realities of football, but that's the way it is.

Are you guys fucking kidding me

The only thing you could see as offensive was the small part about Sammer and that's not even worth talking about.

Klopp is clearly talking about our fans. Since 2012, there are quite some glory hunters (and the media) that expect us to win something every season. Klopp, Zorc and Watzke repeatedly said that's not the case and our target is to qualify for the CL. Now of course these "fans" are the first to complain and cry about how shit we are. All Klopp was saying is that these "fans" should support Bayern if they want to win something every season. Because Bayern wins something every season. Not because he hates Bayern or something. Jesus Christ.

Disagree with you Jack tbh. Its always a matter of degrees.

Sure, it hurts to fail. But even when you failed, you had the basis to overthrow Dortmund at any time, with any one summer break. Even when times for Bayern are rough, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

We're in the same position to a much lesser extent due to the size of our fanbase, we'll (hopefully) always have the money to hang in there, as long as we don't completely shit it up the wall all the time.

99% of clubs though are in a position where real failure means relegation, and no promise of getting back any time soon. And that makes me feel like a cunt when I whinge about Liverpool :p

I think you have to assume that failre for most hurts more than failure for Bayern fans,unless you equally support another club who do genuinely fail all the time. In which case you're a two-team cunt, and don't deserve an opinion anyway :p

pulga

Banned
"losing the CL final in the most painful way 1999 was dark."

jesus fucking christ
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

it's certainly painful, but not a dark time at all

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I just wouldn't call it a dark time, it's not like we got relegated for cheating and bribing.
Lobbying is neither cheating nor bribing, but I dunno let's ask Hoeneß :lol

Anyway this is why everyone hates you guys (by you guys I mean Bayern GAF to be perfectly clear :lol), you're just a bunch of man babies who can't handle any opinion that differs from yours, which makes me wonder why you're in a forum in the first place? To enforce your 'opinion' down our throats? First Ribery, Neuer, then Lahm, then Bastian and now Kloppo's NASTY RANT :lol which really wasn't a rant, just a couple of facts lined up next to each other.

Fucku Bayernu

Lobbying is neither cheating nor bribing, but I dunno let's ask Hoeneß :lol

Anyway this is why everyone hates you guys (by you guys I mean Bayern GAF to be perfectly clear :lol), you're just a bunch of man babies who can't handle any opinion that differs from yours, which makes me wonder why you're in a forum in the first place, to enforce your 'opinion' down pur throats? First Ribery, Neuer, then Lahm, then Bastian and now Kloppo's NASTY RANT :lol which really wasn't a rant, just a couple of facts lined up next to each other.

Remember Titlegate?

Good times.

The failure is relative. It hurt as much coming seventh last year for United as it probably did for some teams getting relegated or coming close to it. It sounds stupid and out of touch with the realities of football, but that's the way it is.
It's not out of touch when it's true m8

Jack cw

Disagree with you Jack tbh. Its always a matter of degrees.

Sure, it hurts to fail. But even when you failed, you had the basis to overthrow Dortmund at any time, with any one summer break. Even when times for Bayern are rough, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

We're in the same position to a much lesser extent due to the size of our fanbase, we'll (hopefully) always have the money to hang in there, as long as we don't completely shit it up the wall all the time.

99% of clubs though are in a position where real failure means relegation, and no promise of getting back any time soon. And that makes me feel like a cunt when I whinge about Liverpool :p

I think you have to assume that failre for most hurts more than failure for Bayern fans,unless you equally support another club who do genuinely fail all the time. In which case you're a two-team cunt, and don't deserve an opinion anyway :p

Haha, no I only support Bayern since I was a kid.
And sure, it's way more depressing to have to play against relegation but still, those moments were bitter and I felt sad for days if not weeks. I think it's very subjective but when we played in Bundesliga midfield it didn't really felt so bad when losing finals in that kind of way that we did.

Scum

Oh. you made it out of your work do alright then.

"losing the CL final in the most painful way 1999 was dark."

jesus fucking christ
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

it's certainly painful, but not a dark time at all

I wish Spurs had dark times in the CL.
iBKjbtCGofnFt.png

Top Bottom