• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Wilbur

Banned
I want to see how Herrera and Mata partner up with 5-10 games together in a row, not sure this will ever happen but their interplay and understanding is nice.

Lord knows what are starting formation will be in time, i look forward to the day we can predict the team well in advance and know it will put on a good performance.

If everyone is fit and firing:

De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw; Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney; van Persie, Falcao

With a bench of Lindegaard, Smalling, Valencia, Fellaini, Mata, Januzaj, Wilson

Maybe Fellaini instead of Herrera for some extra muscle, but I imagine that would be the team.

Clegg

Tbh I've yet to see anything from Blind that's close to what Carrick can do. Maybe he just needs time to get used to the league but I still think another option is required. Either that or we designate a different midfielder to control the game once Blind takes over from Carrick.

tri_willy

just seen the highlights of the liverpool game... fucking hell mignolet, sooo lucky not to concede from that shit cambiasso shot.

dunno what's worse, mignolet's shit keeping or mario not being able to score a league goal

Tbh I've yet to see anything from Blind that's close to what Carrick can do. Maybe he just needs time to get used to the league but I still think another option is required. Either that or we designate a different midfielder to control the game once Blind takes over from Carrick.
Carricks passing is well above Blind's, unless he's been playing it safe or something.

Carricks passing range is just superb. He's a beautiful passer too, everything is so smooth.

Shame he is a little lacking mentally/physically because he would be a supreme midfielder otherwise.

Clegg

Herrera is an interesting player. He's clearly a good footballer. Closes down quickly and regains possession well, gets into good positions and is an incisive passer. But he's very sloppy in possession. If he really does get moved on, not that I want to see that happening or think that its likely, it's probably because he can't control a midfield.

If everyone is fit and firing:

De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw; Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney; van Persie, Falcao

With a bench of Lindegaard, Smalling, Valencia, Fellaini, Mata, Januzaj, Wilson

Maybe Fellaini instead of Herrera for some extra muscle, but I imagine that would be the team.
This is too offensive, I think Van Gaal will keep Fellaini in the team or play a 433 rather than going all out like this.

Wonder about Jones' future too. I think he is at the bottom of the pecking order amongst all our senior CBs.

Wilbur

Banned
Herrera is an interesting player. He's clearly a good footballer. Closes down quickly and regains possession well, gets into good positions and is an incisive passer. But he's very sloppy in possession. If he really does get moved on, not that I want to see that happening or think that its likely, it's probably because he can't control a midfield.

The problem is that Di Maria is exactly the same. Two of them in the same midfield is a bit fucking risky.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
according to lawro's week by week predictions, we should be one spot above the drop zone instead of one point off of a CL spot.

i swear the only thing which kept the ball out of villa's net when they came to the boleyn was the curse of him predicting we'd win that one.

Why isn't Falcao playing? Thought he was over the injury

you don't get over being old.

Wilbur

Banned
This is too offensive, I think Van Gaal will keep Fellaini in the team or play a 433 rather than going all out like this.

Wonder about Jones' future too. I think he is at the bottom of the pecking order amongst all our senior CBs.

Yeah, I'd say Fellaini is probably in there instead, but it seems a waste not to play all three strikers (and RVP would be the one I'd drop at the moment but I don't know if that will happen).

Swap Fellaini for Strootman long term and I'm far happier.

Jones - you may be right. LVG can't have seen too much of him, but in terms of potential I'd put him above Smalling and Evans without a doubt. Time for him to start fulfilling it.

Blind was our best and most consistent performer next to De Gea and many fans held that view, LvG clearly sees him in that role.

Yeah, I'd say Fellaini is probably in there instead, but it seems a waste not to play all three strikers (and RVP would be the one I'd drop at the moment but I don't know if that will happen).

Swap Fellaini for Strootman long term and I'm far happier.

Jones - you may be right. LVG can't have seen too much of him, but in terms of potential I'd put him above Smalling and Evans without a doubt. Time for him to start fulfilling it.

Smalling has always been our best pure defender, he has everything physically and his distribution is getting better, he had the second or the most passes in the last game. He definitely seems to be more of a leader at the back these days. We'll see what LvG thinks.

Clegg

Carricks passing is well above Blind's, unless he's been playing it safe or something.

Carricks passing range is just superb. He's a beautiful passer too, everything is so smooth.

Shame he is a little lacking mentally/physically because he would be a supreme midfielder otherwise.

Mate noone else in the squad can pass as well as Carrick. See that ball to RVP last Sat? Thing of beauty. We really will be in trouble if we don't replace him correctly. Or rather, we'll be in trouble if we don't bring in someone with similar qualities. Hopefully Strootman will be the answer.

Wilbur

Banned
Smalling has always been our best pure defender, he has everything physically and his distribution is getting better, he had the second or the most passes in the last game. He definitely seems to be more of a leader at the back these days. We'll see what LvG thinks.

I don't know. He's certainly been very good the last few games, and probably does suit what van Gaal is aiming for more than Jones in terms of distribution. I just feel like he's always a calamity waiting to happen.

Clegg

Blind was our best and most consistent performer next to De Gea and many fans held that view, LvG clearly sees him in that role.

He was consistent but bar his first few fixtures he didn't stand out really. I'm talking specifically about someone who can do what Carrick does. Haven't seen anything like that from Blind. Carrick can speed up the game. slow it down and pass his way out of trouble. He is, I think, the perfect midfielder for United. Blind on the other hand slots in well, recycles possession and is calm on the ball so he's already better than Clev, Anderson and Fletcher. But that won't be enough for our midfield when Carrick leaves.

I don't know. He's certainly been very good the last few games, and probably does suit what van Gaal is aiming for more than Jones in terms of distribution. I just feel like he's always a calamity waiting to happen.

Don't feel like that, he has tons of pace so when a ball gets put through he usually stops them. Willian when he played Chelsea, Welbeck vs Arsenal. I have full confidence in him despite that Man City terrible mental lapse.

Reminds me of another great moment our Bundesbros gave us.

Remember when they said there are like 10 keepers as good as De God in the Bundesliga.

Some shit like that anyway.

He was consistent but bar his first few fixtures he didn't stand out really. I'm talking specifically about someone who can do what Carrick does. Haven't seen anything like that from Blind. Carrick can speed up the game. slow it down and pass his way out of trouble. He is, I think, the perfect midfielder for United. Blind on the other hand slots in well, recycles possession and is calm on the ball so he's already better than Clev, Anderson and Fletcher. But that won't be enough for our midfield when Carrick leaves.

I disagree with your analysis, I think Blind does his role extremely well and he did stand out for me as someone who won't let us down. His role is to shield the defense and dictate our tempo like you said and he is very good at it, if you don't believe me you can go back and watch the games he played in. He can speed up or tempo more so than Carrick and he can shoot very well from outside the box. I think this is typical when players are out and their replacement plays well, like with Di Maria and Herrera, all of a sudden Di Maria isn't a vital person in this team. No, Rooney and Di Maria are the only two with a direct approach, we need them to be successful. Blind can do the Carrick role for a lot longer than Carrick can and he can be better at it as well. Carrick is a great player no doubt and I trust him when he gets the ball 100%.

In the end though it doesn't matter what you or I think but what LvG thinks.

Surprised there hasn't been any mention of Henry saying that his last game for NYRB was last Saturday and Wenger saying today that Henry will come back to Arsenal one day lol, maybe cos it's expected? I'd love him to do his coaching badges and then when Wenger retires, he can take over (won't happen :lol)

Possibly my favourite player ever

Wilbur

Banned
Just been watching LVG's post match interview.

I love him so much.

The way he looks into the camera when he says "I said that already". The philosophy. The hair. The talk of the fans.

God, he's just great isn't he, the mad fucking bastard.

I disagree with your analysis, I think Blind does his role extremely well and he did stand out for me as someone who won't let us down. His role is to shield the defense and dictate our tempo like you said and he is very good at it, if you don't believe me you can go back and watch the games he played in. He can speed up or tempo more so than Carrick and he can shoot very well from outside the box. I think this is typical when players are out and their replacement plays well, like with Di Maria and Herrera, all of a sudden Di Maria isn't a vital person in this team. No, Rooney and Di Maria are the only two with a direct approach, we need them to be successful. Blind can do the Carrick role for a lot longer than Carrick can and he can be better at it as well. Carrick is a great player no doubt and I trust him when he gets the ball 100%.

In the end though it doesn't matter what you or I think but what LvG thinks.
Are you taking about Daley or Daily?

Esch

Banned
De Gea has absolutely no swag. Arguably the lowest swag per talent ratio in the game
ydfQOUY.png

I love him so much.

The way he looks into the camera when he says "I said that already". The philosophy. The hair. The talk of the fans.

He is. He gives no shits, but honest.

Probably the most entertaining manager in EPL this season.

Wilbur

Banned
It's time for a monster bumper edition of MUFC FACEBOOK! My favourites are bolded.

@MUFC_Facebook: enough small talk. we keep flirting with the top 4 now it is time to get in the top 4.. like a date lol

@MUFC_Facebook: wat is everyones fav fruit? I like pineapples but not on pizzas

@MUFC_Facebook: international break should be called "Mario kart break" and all the players should play Mario kart instead of get injured

@MUFC_Facebook: if ander herrera was a fruit then he would be a strawberry :3

@MUFC_Facebook: the thing with arsenal is that they always think they are facing barcelona when they face us even tho we r more like burnley..... hoopla

@MUFC_Facebook: I DONT EVEN KNO WAS THAT GAME FOOTBALL OR NONSENSE BALL??

@MUFC_Facebook: honestly Di Maria missed the chance but very good he has become nd he is human he will make mistakes honestly guys he is the woodchuck

@MUFC_Facebook: arsene wenger reminds me of a ant eater with a long coat

@MUFC_Facebook: My birthday is coming up and all I want are videos of falcao playing with cute animals

@MUFC_Facebook: herrera nd mata should get married

@MUFC_Facebook: Di Maria will be fine and all the players will return from injury and we will prance in a field and hold hands

@MUFC_Facebook: very good game i think? that was weird, we passed the ball and then played with quick spanish players then scored? really weird

@MUFC_Facebook: fellaini eats nails for breakfast. carrick has nice calm oatmeal and herrera eats reece puffs

@MUFC_Facebook: the magic of xmas is all in the aurora borealis. GGMU

@MUFC_Facebook: I AM DISBELIEF

@MUFC_Facebook: I would make a national de gea day but it would have to be every day of the year lol

Elchele

I love him so much.

link pls

inky

I present you Jaden Smith's grandma.

Wls8Zgv.png

She's fucking 61. I doubt any of you is that fit at your age, let alone in 40ish years. Except Mr. Cola maybe.

VYt6c2U.png
VYt6c2U.png
VYt6c2U.png

Top Bottom