• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Blablurn

Pep Guardiola: "I tried making Messi the best player in the world, he ended up making me best manager in the world."

#Incredible

Arnie

Pep Guardiola: "I tried making Messi the best player in the world, he ended up making me best manager in the world."

#Incredible
That's sensational.

Speaking of, GTAV is so good. Going third person on foot and first person in vehicles.

Couldn't see PES in Game yesterday, is it definitely out in the UK? It literally didn't exist. Not even a notice to say "sold out".

Zapata-Mexes

Essien-Muntari

No Honda

Rottes

%5Bsobbing%5D.gif

Also, no Alex, Abate and De Jong. Rami will play RB, Menez won't pass the ball to anybody and Torres will miss an easy chance before Palacio scores his third goal of the match with his hair thingy.

I love how you cannot satisfy anyone in Germany. The media says the Bundesliga is getting boring because Bayern is so strong. On the other hand we are so strong because we want to succeed in the CL. If we couldn't compete against teams like Chelsea or Madrid the media would say we are not good enough for Europe lol. Always complaining.

You can suck in the league and win the CL as well m8

#KloppoMagic #Berlin2015 #FinaleDahoam

Blackhead

Redarse
The Observer
Daniel Taylor said:
Did you know that eight different books have been released to commemorate the story of Liverpool’s second-placed finish in the Premier League and how close they came to re-establishing themselves as the champions last season?

Only one was brought out about the champions, Manchester City, and it is certainly a strange set of events that there was a full summer’s worth of reading about the club where Bill Shankly’s old prophecy about first being first, and second being nowhere, is almost as much a part of the history as the Anfield gates.

The first was released 10 days after the final game of the season. The next was six days later, followed by three more in June, two in July and one in August. Two have the same title, Make us Dream, not to be confused with Daring to Dream, or indeed They Dared to Dream. Another takes its name, We Go Again, from the line Steven Gerrard used after beating City, and there is something rather quaint about the one that goes by the straightforward A Surprising Season...

Reminds me of that time Tottenham put out a match dvd after a draw with Arsenal
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

But we're doing this since 30 years now. And Dortmund is not at the end of the table because we bought 2 players from them. They even got plenty of money from us with Götze. And they spend enough on new players as well.

DONT START THIS AGAIN.

It's getting old, Kid.

"Don't buy players from rivals bla bla."

From where the fuck else should we buy players? From minor clubs like Amsterdam? Nein.

Your team would do the same if they could.

Plus let me remember you that it's mainly the Manchester fans who post all these "Let's buy Hummels and Klopp pls" comments all the time. You're even worse. The only thing is: They will never go to Manchester.

This just shows that you really didn't understand my post. United fans wanting Hummels means nothing as they're competing in the PL, not the Bundesliga. The point of my post is that a more competitive Bundesliga makes the league more fun as long as it doesn't interfere with Bayern's hopes of another CL title.

I've already said that United should do the same as Bayern are doing right now to rivals, but like I said, United can't. PL is already in a strong position with money. Chelsea and City can offer the same wages as United and can offer title challenges like United did in the past. Why would a player go to United if they're at Chelsea or City or from another club? History is the only thing United have over them currently. Look at the RvP situation. That was Bayern-like from United. Arsenal couldn't offer titles like United could at the time so he left to United. The thing is, Arsenal aren't the club competing with United. City were the title challengers and Chelsea always have the potential to challenge with Roman in charge. They have shown they will spend money to challenge for titles. Arsenal offer no hope currently when it comes to spending to get back at the top whether that's down to the board or Wenger.

Bayern should lay off a club like Dortmund if they want their league to get stronger. Once Bundesliga starts making money like the PL, they should go back to trying to steal their players. That's if you want the Bundesliga to be competitive or fun from year to year. Right now it's obvious Bayern will win the title for years. I can't say the same for City or Chelsea. We know Chelsea will win this year, but they didn't win last year and there is no guarantee they win next season.

Why would Bayern want us to get big, though?

Although I doubt it, Wolfsburg and Leipzig could become a real threat for Bayern in the next few years. They really don't need another club to be able to compete.

This just shows that you really didn't understand my post. United fans wanting Hummels means nothing as they're competing in the PL, not the Bundesliga. The point of my post is that a more competitive Bundesliga makes the league more fun as long as it doesn't interfere with Bayern's hopes of another CL title.

I've already said that United should do the same as Bayern are doing right now to rivals, but like I said, United can't. PL is already in a strong position with money. Chelsea and City can offer the same wages as United and can offer title challenges like United did in the past. Why would a player go to United if they're at Chelsea or City or from another club? History is the only thing United have over them currently. Look at the RvP situation. That was Bayern-like from United. Arsenal couldn't offer titles like United could at the time so he left to United. The thing is, Arsenal aren't the club competing with United. City were the title challengers and Chelsea always have the potential to challenge with Roman in charge. They have shown they will spend money to challenge for titles. Arsenal offer no hope currently when it comes to spending to get back at the top whether that's down to the board or Wenger.

Bayern should lay off a club like Dortmund if they want their league to get stronger. Once Bundesliga starts making money like the PL, they should go back to trying to steal their players. That's if you want the Bundesliga to be competitive or fun from year to year. Right now it's obvious Bayern will win the title for years. I can't say the same for City or Chelsea. We know Chelsea will win this year, but they didn't win last year and there is no guarantee they win next season.
This came up before.

It's unrealistic to expect Bayern to behave altruistically. It isn't their responsibility. It might damage them in the longer term but they aren't concerned about that right now and I'm not sure you can blame them.

Why would Bayern want us to get big, though?

Although I doubt it, Wolfsburg and Leipzig could become a real threat for Bayern in the next few years. They really don't need another club to be able to compete.

It's from a Bundesliga fan perspective, not that I am one. If you're a Bayern fan wouldn't you want your rivals to make the title challenge more interesting? Maybe, not. I would though. A few titles to other teams won't hurt Bayern. They're in a really healthy position right now. They can offer title challenges, wages, etc...

My opinion would probably change if the title went to a really historic rival like Juve - Inter or United - Liverpool.

This came up before.

It's unrealistic to expect Bayern to behave altruistically. It isn't their responsibility. It might damage them in the longer term but they aren't concerned about that right now and I'm not sure you can blame them.

That's true, but Bayern can certainly spend money on the best players outside of the top 2-3 team in the Bundesliga. Not taking Dortmund's players won't hurt their chances of forming a strong team.

Although this seems kind of pointless, because if it's not Bayern taking them, La Liga or PL can just take them. It just seemed like Bundesliga's reputation was on the up when Dortmund and Bayern were really competing fiercely and now that chance has left.

Maddox

The Observer

Reminds me of that time Tottenham put out a match dvd after a draw with Arsenal
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Thats a lot of books...I would imagine they are more about the feeling towards Liverpool around city during last season, which was definitely special I must admit. These are fan released books as well i think, not something the club has put out.

It's from a Bundesliga fan perspective, not that I am one. If you're a Bayern fan wouldn't you want your rivals to make the title challenge more interesting? Maybe, not. I would though. A few titles to other teams won't hurt Bayern. They're in a really healthy position right now. They can offer title challenges, wages, etc...

No, the whole club mentality of Bayern München is "we're better than everyone else in Germany". And winning the league is the primar target, it doesn't matter how.

Mia san Mia, you know.

KidA, you think United were worried about letting the PL grow and be competitive in the 90s?

Leeds win the title, United take their best player. Blackburn win the title, United do everything to try and take their best player. Arsenal start winning, United try and take our best player.

United never cared about competitiveness and making the PL fun, luckily Shearer went to Newcastle and Vieira stayed with Arsenal.

Blablurn

I understood your post, KidA. And I found it questionable. But it's okay. You only know the basics of the Bundesliga. So I give you a pass.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Paul Pogba shrugged off Real Madrid transfer speculation to insist “I am happy at Juventus and hope to stay for a long time.”

you dumb motherfucker :lol

and I don't know how Bayern fans do it, but I'd find hard to support my team if it was filled with former Milan and Inter players for example :lol even to this day, I consider Pirlo an AC Milan player

and you know what, we need to talk BVB, why the fuck are you even selling them to Bayern to begin with EH? You're asking for trouble with those buyout clauses

Blablurn

and I don't know how Bayern fans do it, but I'd find hard to support my team if it was filled with former Milan and Inter players for example :lol even to this day, I consider Pirlo an AC Milan player

and you know what, we need to talk BVB, why the fuck are you even selling them to Bayern to begin with EH? You're asking for trouble with those buyout clauses

They didn't sell Lewandowski until his contract was over.

And they couldn't keep Götze because of the release clause.

And Reus got the same release clause. If he wants to leave they can't do anything at all.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
They didn't sell Lewandowski until his contract was over.

And they couldn't keep Götze because of the release clause.

And Reus got the same release clause. If he wants to leave they can't do anything at all.

you're essentially cheering for BVB now

without the awesome fans and stadium of course

KidA, you think United were worried about letting the PL grow and be competitive in the 90s?

Leeds win the title, United take their best player. Blackburn win the title, United do everything to try and take their best player. Arsenal start winning, United try and take our best player.

United never cared about competitiveness and making the PL fun, luckily Shearer went to Newcastle and Vieira stayed with Arsenal.

I already said that I would not give a fuck if it happened to be a player from one of United's historic rivals (reason why I mentioned Juve and Inter). Leeds are one of those clubs.

I always want my club to win the title, but when a team is just running away with the title it becomes boring. United aren't saints either. They've spent a shit load of money for a long time now. I've never denied that. That's why I thought the "United are abanding their tradition by selling Welbeck" articles as bullshit earlier this year. It's also a bit different to compare United of the 90s to current Bayern. United wanted to catch up to Liverpool. United barely overtook Liverpool in league titles in 2011.

Still Viva is right. I guess I was just thinking of the long term with regards to the Bundesliga as a whole. They as a league do a lot of things right and they will certainly grow, I just think that Dortmund challenging fiercely every year would have slightly sped things up.

They need the buyout clauses to convince the great players to sign with them. Shitty state of affairs

Who do you rate higher? Sturridge or Sterling?

Right now, Sturridge is our best player. Expect Sterling to overtake him by 2017 or so though. Especially if these injuries continue.

edit: Yurt's got it. Though Sturridge still has room to improve imo, his trajectory is a couple of years late, his time at Chelsea was a waste

LTWheels

Proper concerned about Sterling having one when and if we get his new contract signed

Even if it's £60m like rumoured, no one is going to spend that money on him anytime soon. No guarantee is even going to keep developing, or could end up going backwards.

If he ever starts getting close to world class, we will negotiate another contract with him again.

3Sixty

12 years ago today.

Agustín 'one knee' Delgado scored his only premier league goal to beat Arsenal 3-2.

What a time that was.

Even if it's £60m like rumoured, no one is going to spend that money on him anytime soon. No guarantee is even going to keep developing, or could end up going backwards.

If he ever starts getting close to world class, we will negotiate another contract with him again.

1) I don't trust Madrid to not go mental and do it in summer 2016 even if he's not great
2) I don't trust us to do anything good with £60m. Raheezus in the hand is worth a million Lovrens in the bush

Top Bottom