• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Linius

Result is better than our performance. We didn't play good game, second half was better and we gain 3 points.

Milik on his Twitter. At least he sees they played a bad game.

aXm52z9.png

And he tagged along this picture of him missing a huge chance :lol

LegoArmo

The thing is, based on performances, Liverpool actually have more points than they probably deserve. They've barely played well for 90 minutes all season.

Arsenal will be okay, they have lost games, but it's just their usual weaknesses showing through, again.

Linius

win 4-1

didn't play good game

Was true though. At least for most part. Can't believe I'm saying this, but Kishna turned this game around. Usually he drives me nuts by trying too hard, but he did a legit good job this time around. Worked hard, scored and assisted. Only downside was his Ronaldo-esque way of being too proud about it. And that shirt move, it was just Heerenveen at home, we didn't win the CL.

Blablurn

Highest average possession in 2014/15 #UCL

65% – @FCBayern
62% – @FCBarcelona
60% – @juventusfc
59% – @FCPorto
56% – @Arsenal

K1LLER7

Highest average possession in 2014/15 #UCL

65% – @FCBayern
62% – @FCBarcelona
60% – @juventusfc
59% – @FCPorto
56% – @Arsenal

Possession is overrated. Both top teams have the same issues and can struggle against pacey counter-attacking teams. Madrid have a great chance of winning the CL again this year imo (if everybody is fit). Would like to see Madrid vs Bayern early in the knockout stages.

dc89

Holy hell, that Liverpool fan on 606 was sensational. In the words of Arnie he went in there like a thermonuclear pleb.

"Get Rodgers out. He has to go. Bring back Rafa the Gaffer. No. NO. Get Stevie G in there as player manager now. Brendan chokes under pressure, everywhere he's managed he has failed when the pressure is on."

"But surely Stevie would need some help?"

"yeah. Get Kenny back in there. Kenny and Stevie."

Holy hell, that Liverpool fan on 606 was sensational. In the words of Arnie he went in there like a thermonuclear pleb.

"Get Rodgers out. He has to go. Bring back Rafa the Gaffer. No. NO. Get Stevie G in there as player manager now. Brendan chokes under pressure, everywhere he's managed he has failed when the pressure is on."

Imagine that. We'd be relegated by February

FootballFan

Possession is overrated. Both top teams have the same issues and can struggle against pacey counter-attacking teams. Madrid have a great chance of winning the CL again this year imo (if everybody is fit). Would like to see Madrid vs Bayern early in the knockout stages.

You haven't seen Bayern this season have you m8.

ATF487

I don't think Liverpool have to write the season off yet but I'm really wondering what Rodgers is trying to do with this team. Random thoughts:

- I went back and watched some videos of Balotelli, I was surprised at how many of his goals were tap ins or scored from the sort of withdrawn positions that he's been taking up this season. He could be a useful player for us but only if he can get a decent understanding with Lambert/Borini/Sturridge if he ever plays again. I'd try to buy a new striker in January and ship Balo off in the summer if he doesn't start improving.

- There's so much aimless possession like there was in Rodgers' first year. I think they're trying to be more conservative (you can't get scored on when you're passing the ball around comfortably), but they aren't creating chances and always seem like they're getting burned on the counter. Maybe trying to consistently get balls in behind the defense is a low percentage play but at least you can press the defense and make the other team play out of the back or lump it up. It's better than having Gerrard lose possession in the middle of the field when he gets caught

- The defense situation is so strange. Is our best center back on loan to Bordeaux? I don't know what the solution is, but when Sakho comes back I'd be tempted to ask for three at the back against teams with more than one forward. Moreno and Johnson can play as wingbacks

- Lots of players have been disappointing but Lovren and Gerrard need to be dropped based on their current form. Gerrard can still be useful but I feel like you can have a more balanced side (aka someone like Lucas can actually sit back and defend) with him out. His career has been amazing but he's just too much of a liability now. Henderson can play a nice diagonal ball instead.

3Sixty

:lol

He's right about Brenda though.

Sacked by Reading and Watford soon to be Liverpool.

Can't manage in England.

I don't think Liverpool have to write the season off yet but I'm really wondering what Rodgers is trying to do with this team. Random thoughts:

- I went back and watched some videos of Balotelli, I was surprised at how many of his goals were tap ins or scored from the sort of withdrawn positions that he's been taking up this season. He could be a useful player for us but only if he can get a decent understanding with Lambert/Borini/Sturridge if he ever plays again. I'd try to buy a new striker in January and ship Balo off in the summer if he doesn't start improving.

- There's so much aimless possession like there was in Rodgers' first year. I think they're trying to be more conservative (you can't get scored on when you're passing the ball around comfortably), but they aren't creating chances and always seem like they're getting burned on the counter. Maybe trying to consistently get balls in behind the defense is a low percentage play but at least you can press the defense and make the other team play out of the back or lump it up. It's better than having Gerrard lose possession in the middle of the field when he gets caught

- The defense situation is so strange. Is our best center back on loan to Bordeaux? I don't know what the solution is, but when Sakho comes back I'd be tempted to ask for three at the back against teams with more than one forward. Moreno and Johnson can play as wingbacks

- Lots of players have been disappointing but Lovren and Gerrard need to be dropped based on their current form. Gerrard can still be useful but I feel like you can have a more balanced side (aka someone like Lucas can actually sit back and defend) with him out. His career has been amazing but he's just too much of a liability now. Henderson can play a nice diagonal ball instead.

I was thinking earlier, and realised that Lovren is better than Toure at literally nothing. He's younger and cost more, and neither have an impact on the pitch.

jts

...hate me...
You haven't seen Bayern this season have you m8.
Madrid have been better.

Ever since they got their shit straight, no game ever seemed menacing. Even Barça was like taking candy from a baby.

14 wins win in a row, with 56 goals scored. Average 4 goals scored per game.

Incredible.

Milan Starting XI:

B3Ji45JCEAAp9-q.jpg

It's actually: Diego Lopez; Rami, Zapata, Mexes, De Sciglio; Bonaventura, Essien, Muntari, El Shaarawy; Menez; Torres. The pic is spot on though.

FootballFan

Madrid has been better.

Ever since they got their shit straight, no game ever seemed menacing. Even Barça was like taking candy from a baby.

14 wins win in a row, with 56 goals scored. Average 4 goals scored per game.

Incredible.

I disagree.

Barca, Bayern and chelsea can beat em.

D_prOdigy

:lol

He's right about Brenda though.

Sacked by Reading and Watford soon to be Liverpool.

Can't manage in England.

Will miss him when he goes off to rebuild his reputation at Elche.

Imagine Moyes giving him the invisible basketball.

"This is my patch now, son."

jts

...hate me...
I disagree.

Barca, Bayern and chelsea can beat em.
TLWLLWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Proof is in the pudding m8. Carletto started off struggling with the new players and whatnot but when after that whew
057ae4b39a7f038a54229a5d154bf013e3eb319a_medium.jpg
Dat number of goals. Astounding.

But I can't wait for later stages of the season and see how this all develops.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Signal was not bad

It's bad if you've seen plenty of sci-fi/mystery movies though because you'll pretty much predict everything from start to finish

Laurence Fishburne's soothing voice Oh là là
JuveGAF drove them away

TheLucifer is the only semiregular left. InterGAF doesn't exist anymore :(
That's not true, we're way too nice to each other, more so on twitter too.

Feorax

Cavani seems such an obvious target for January. He's miserable at PSG, and has been for some time by all accounts. On top of that, he's a massive step up from any of our currently fit strikers, even if he is a step down from his recently-sold compatriot.

If we've replaced 2 of Lambert/Borini/Balo with Origi and Cavani by the start of next seasom, then we're a hell of a lot better off.

Won't happen though. We don't spend that kind of money, especially not on older players.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
My head is about to explode

I genuinely want to blow my brains out

Well if it's about to explode then why waste a bullet

But i wanna die on my terms FUCK NATURE

jts

...hate me...
My head is about to explode

I genuinely want to blow my brains out

Well if it's about to explode then why waste a bullet

But i wanna die on my terms FUCK NATURE
But aren't you a product of said nature and if you kill yourself wouldn't that also be nature taking its course.

photo.jpg

Cavani seems such an obvious target for January. He's miserable at PSG, and has been for some time by all accounts. On top of that, he's a massive step up from any of our currently fit strikers, even if he is a step down from his recently-sold compatriot.

If we've replaced 2 of Lambert/Borini/Balo with Origi and Cavani by the start of next seasom, then we're a hell of a lot better off.

Won't happen though. We don't spend that kind of money, especially not on older players.

I'm not a massive fan of Cavani, but we should try it if we can balance the books.

Dodo is dead

Top Bottom