• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
As a Juve supporter, you must be quite an expert on criminal management and shady deals. So I trust this post.

Fuck Bayern and Juve.

Takes one to know one m8
i aint forgetting your russian mob

Now someone mention the tv money distribution so I can be on my merry way

RiggyRob

It's a tough choice between carragher and Avb

ibdwxPBoU0iP8Z.png

Benitez. I think he'd go back.

I think he would too to be honest, just a question of whether they'd have him back after going to Chelsea.

Clegg

In the sale prospectus for Ed Glazer's shares it says that United expect further net player capital capital expenditure.

Woowar is doing the business m7s.

Elchele

just read an article about Weiser

Before the Champions League quarter-final in Manchester, Weiser received a text message in the morning: He should quickly get to the airpot. Coach Pep Guardiola had re-nominated him because of injury problems. The boarding pass was awaiting him in the airline counter at the airport. Weiser rushed to the airport, but nobody at the counter of the airline knew anything about it. It was a 1st of April joke Ribéry and other players had played on him.

http://m.welt.de/sport/fussball/bun...pertalent-zur-aermsten-Sau-des-FC-Bayern.html

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal is confident of signing Netherlands midfielder Kevin Strootman - although the move could be delayed until the summer if the 24-year-old helps Roma reach the Champions League knockout stages by beating Manchester City on Wednesday. (Daily Telegraph)
But Van Gaal has dismissed suggestions that he needs to strengthen his defence in January. (Daily Express)
Manchester United are in pole position to sign Benfica's £25m-rated Argentine midfielder Enzo Perez, 28, because Valencia cannot afford him. (Talksport)
Van Gaal is also hoping to bring Bayern Munich and ex-Chelsea winger Arjen Robben, 30, back to the Premier League in January. (Daily Express)
Liverpool are continuing to look at Chelsea's Petr Cech, 32, and Stoke's Asmir Begovic, 27, as a replacement for keeper Simon Mignolet, 26 - but are set to miss out on Cologne's Timo Horn, 21. (Daily Mail)
Monaco's Portuguese midfielder Joao Moutinho, 28, could be heading for the Premier League, with agent Jorge Mendes ready to sound out Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United over a £30m deal. (Daily Express)
Crystal Palace are weighing up a January move for Norwich and England keeper John Ruddy, 28. (Daily Mirror)
Palace are also involved in a three-way fight to sign £2m-rated Bournemouth defender Steve Cook, 23. (London's Evening Standard)

OTHER GOSSIP
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini says his job would not be in danger if they were eliminated from the Champions League on Wednesday. (Guardian)
And City striker Edin Dzeko, 28, has promised that his recent thigh problem will not prevent him from leading their bid for the knockout stages in the absence of the injured Sergio Aguero. (Daily Star)
Argentine forward Aguero, 26, could be out for as long as eight weeks - rather than the four to six weeks suggested initially by Pellegrini - after straining his medial knee ligament against Everton on Saturday. (Independent)
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie, 31, has warned Liverpool he is at the peak of his powers ahead of Sunday's Premier League match-up at Old Trafford. (Sun - subscription required)
Former Manchester United assistant manager Mike Phelan believes Louis van Gaal is partly culpable for the prolonged injury crisis at the club this season. (Manchester Evening News)
Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 21, says he needs to improve his scoring record after managing just two goals all season. (Sky Sports)
Former Chelsea defender David Luiz, 27, says he made a "good choice" in leaving Stamford Bridge for Paris St-Germain in June. (Daily Mirror)
Paul Lambert has been let down by his bench at Aston Villa - as only three goals have been scored by substitutes in his 91-match Premier League reign as manager. (Birmingham Mail)
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho claims Chelsea may as well close the doors on their academy unless youngsters like Ruben Loftus-Cheek, 18, who is set to make his club debut on Wednesday against Sporting Lisbon, start proving their worth. (Daily Star)
Former Arsenal and England defender Sol Campbell, 40, is being lined up to launch his coaching career with Ajax. (Daily Mirror)
Experts have described the sale of Edward Glazer's stock in Manchester United as a shock, but played down the significance in regards to the overall ownership of the club. (Manchester Evening News)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard's cousin Anthony - who plays for Championship side Huddersfield - has offered his solution to improve fortunes at Anfield: "Liverpool need to buy a dynamic midfielder and a world-class striker ASAP!"
Times journalist Rory Smith offered his verdict on Liverpool's failure to repeat their Champions League heroics of a decade ago against Basel: "It's almost like football isn't a scripted drama, where what happened 10 years ago will somehow repeat itself just when you want it to."
Former England cricketer Geoffrey Boycott - now a BBC Test Match Special summariser - has laid into Manchester United's defence on Twitter: "50 years I've supported them and I've never seen a defence so bad."
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman geared up for the club's Christmas party - by posting a photo of himself wearing a Christmas jumper worthy of former BBC host Noel Edmonds.
Many Premier League footballers have been visiting local hospitals to bring some cheer, among them West Brom keeper Ben Foster, who wrote: "Humbling day at Birmingham children's hospital, if you've got kids, give em a hug, cos we don't know how lucky we are."

AND FINALLY
Mario Balotelli has been made Liverpool's featured player for January in their official 2015 calendar - saving them any embarrassment if he doesn't stay at Anfield for the rest of the year. (Daily Mail)
Manchester United assistant manager Ryan Giggs, 41, showed he has lost none of his skills by doing keepy-ups with a potato. (Manchester Evening News)
Germany's shock 7-1 thrashing over World Cup hosts Brazil was the UK's most tweeted about moment of 2014. (London's Evening Standard)
A group of dedicated Merseyside nurses got a festive shock when Everton boss Roberto Martinez gatecrashed their surprise tour of Goodison Park. (Liverpool Echo)

Paracelsus

Somehow, in the latest years Juventus had a chance to compete against Ibra, against Mourinho, against Ronaldo, even against Bayern at their absolute best.

I guess it's time to pick Messi with the return match at the Camp Nou.

Paracelsus

Can't remember. Didnt we dominate the 2 games against Juve we had?

Bayern was/is? the best, they won and went on winning the whole thing. I was just saying Juve never competed against Messi, and it's something I'd like to see. Whether it happens now or in the QF there's not much difference.

Solanke hat trick in u19 CL, joint top scorer or now top scorer I think I read somewhere? Shame he's not playing tonight :(

Christensen also playing so another that won't play tonight. I hope we can give them a few minutes in the league cup or something

Linius

Solanke hat trick in u19 CL, joint top scorer or now top scorer I think I read somewhere? Shame he's not playing tonight :(

Christensen also playing so another that won't play tonight. I hope we can give them a few minutes in the league cup or something

Looks like he's topscorer now with seven goals. The three behind him have six goals each. But if we look at goal/time average our boy El Azzouzi goes on top. He scored six goals in 162 minutes! And he did with 10 attempts on goal. Now that's a striker.

ibdwxPBoU0iP8Z.png

I think he would too to be honest, just a question of whether they'd have him back after going to Chelsea.

Nobody holds him going to Chelsea against him, or nobody with a brain at least.

It was his shot at both living in England again, and improving his reputation which was in tatters after being sacked by Liverpool and Inter within the space of about 7 or 8 months.

I don't think FSG would go for him anyway

jts

...hate me...
So in UCL fantasy I got this Malmö player, Enoch Adu, who was sent off last night. I can't sub him off, fine. But I'm trying to sub Marcelo, who got 0 points, with Matuidi, and when I try to save the changes I get a browser prompt saying "sorry, you are unable to substitute a player who has received a red card" and it will not save the changes.

Fucking programmers.

Or just UEFA fucking with me. Now I know the feeling, City.

Meier is somehow behind this.

Elchele

So in UCL fantasy I got this Malmö player, Enoch Adu, who was sent off last night. I can't sub him off, fine. But I'm trying to sub Marcelo, who got 0 points, with Matuidi, and when I try to save the changes I get a browser prompt saying "sorry, you are unable to substitute a player who has received a red card" and it will not save the changes.

Fucking programmers.

Or just UEFA fucking with me. Now I know the feeling, City.

Meier is somehow behind this.

B4gB8UyIYAARl7a.jpg

Played my first Master League friendly. Smashed them 6-2. Accidentally wasted my entire budget on a RB thinking he's a CB, turns out he's no better than my default RB. Loaded it up, skipped match, drew 3-3. Gonna go into the season with the players I've started with, £4m just isn't enough to really even start improving the team as far as I can tell

Looks like he's topscorer now with seven goals. The three behind him have six goals each. But if we look at goal/time average our boy El Azzouzi goes on top. He scored six goals in 162 minutes! And he did with 10 attempts on goal. Now that's a striker.

We should sign him, he would be good to with with Solanke and Brown
- on the bench :(

jts

...hate me...
Played my first Master League friendly. Smashed them 6-2. Accidentally wasted my entire budget on a RB thinking he's a CB, turns out he's no better than my default RB. Loaded it up, skipped match, drew 3-3. Gonna go into the season with the players I've started with, £4m just isn't enough to really even start improving the team as far as I can tell
I set the difficulty to superstar and got my ass handed to me.

It's weird because I had a pre-season match with Arsenal and I created the lot of the chances although it ended 0-0. But when the season started Boavista merk'd me 6-0.

I have to git gud against the AI.

Actually that's how I learned to be competitive in PES back in PES 4 days. I'd play the AI on top difficulty (5 stars, then 6 stars bought in the PES shop) until I could beat them consistently. Then I was ready to play against other fellow hoomans.

Wilbur

Banned
What's great about Pro Evo is that teams actually feel different to play against. I banged some shit team 7-0 at home in the Europa League, then played City away and they beat me 3-1. Beat Villa 4-1 at home and then drew 1-1 away with Southampton. The better teams are legitimately harder to play against.

Can't remember. Didnt we dominate the 2 games against Juve we had?
You dominated the first one (after a horrible deflected goal in the opening minutes). The second one (in Turin) was much more balanced and you got the killing goal on the counter as Juve pushed forward.

That was the quarter final. Before you annihilated Barcelona in the semis.

dc89

There is still, apparently, some cynicism about Manchester City’s state-of-the-art new training complex.

There are still doubts about whether, despite all the money they have spent, any of their academy kids will make it into the first team.

The cynicism will redouble if the Blues fail to reach the last 16 of the Champions League after their clash with Roma here in Italy on Wednesday evening.

The template for longevity they unveiled on Monday suggests a desire to become the Eternal City, but Rome may not be willing to give up its title just yet.

Anyway, I’m sorry, but there’s a bigger picture here that makes the doubts and the cynicism all but irrelevant.

Sure, it will be a setback if City do not progress to the knock-out stages of the world’s premier club competition this season.

But, in the long term, what the club’s owners have created on the east side of the city centre is more important than that.

As a Mancunian, it’s hard not to feel great pride in the regeneration of a hitherto deprived part of the city.

You don’t have to take a tour of the City Football Academy (CFA) that was opened this week to sense that pride, although it helps.

You just have to take the tram – the smart, clean, gleaming new tram - a couple of stops from Manchester Piccadilly station.

Get off at the Holt Town Metrolink station and walk up the hill to the Etihad Stadium, where the current champions of England play.

Or alight at Etihad Campus or Velopark to find yourself at the centre of the kind of sport city that we are only used to glimpsing abroad.

Wander around the campus of UCLA, just off Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, and you marvel at the wealth of sporting facilities on offer.

It happens in Australia, too. This pride in sport. This willingness to put it at the heart of modernisation and progress.

Too often, we think ‘Why are we incapable of doing that here?’

Now, in Manchester, City have done it.

You know what made me really proud, though? The club hasn’t run away from its city. It has embraced it.

More and more, clubs are divorced from their communities -particularly when it comes to their training grounds.

It’s the football equivalent of white flight. Their facilities are usually on the outside of town, either in an affluent suburb, further out in the countryside or close to the airport.

Sometimes, all three.

Real Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Inter Milan – they all conform to that model.

The players don’t need to have any contact with their club’s community. They don’t even need to see their city, except on match days.

City have done the opposite of that.

They have moved from their greenfield site at Carrington, outside the M60 motorway ring road, into Manchester city centre.

City have come home.

“Before,” City captain Vincent Kompany said, “the players could stay on the borders of Manchester without ever coming in except for the game.

“Now we are in Manchester every single day.

Vincent Kompany with Mirror Sports writer Ollie Holt.
City centre: Vincent Kompany and our Oliver Holt tour the Blues' new digs

"It just creates that bond. The people that we see now are not just people who worked at Carrington. They are local people that we work besides every day.

“There is so much more happening here that has to do with the local community. We are side by side with them.

“At Carrington, it was goats and cows and that was it. This move changes a lot.”

Kompany is right.

The move embeds the club in Manchester even more strongly than it was before.

The argument about who is Manchester’s team is facile in many ways, but fans from the red half of the city may look on with some envy at these latest developments.

United need to be careful that they do not get left behind here.

They still have a massive support base, a spectacular record of winning trophies, a proud tradition of bringing kids through from the youth team, considerable spending power and a club history as rich and as powerful as any in the world.

Manchester City open £200m training academy
But, compared to what is going on at City, they are starting to look a little bit last century.

Their training base, also at Carrington, seems tired compared to what City have just unveiled.

Their media facilities - their outlet on the world – are desperately outmoded compared to those of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and City.

If I was in any position of influence at Manchester United, I’d be worried about the latest flood of information about developments at City.

In fact, I’d be embarrassed.

I’d be embarrassed that a gaggle of ex-United players have chosen to send their footballing sons to the CFA, not to their alma mater.

And I’d be embarrassed that City, once characterised as crazed spend-thrifts, are starting to look like the better long-term planners.

I’d be applauding the Glazers for recognising the need to throw money at replenishing the first team, but I’d be suggesting that maybe instead of taking so much cash out of the club, they should be investing more heavily in the future, too.

That’s what City are doing.

Be as cynical as you want, but it’s hard not to admire Sheikh Mansour’s long-term vision for the club.

It’s hard not to think that, sooner or later, it’s going to pay off handsomely on the pitch, too.

It has to.

“They don’t build facilities like this for us to fail,” Kompany said.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/oliver-holt-column-manchester-city-4777142

Send me to Old Trafford if old.

Zabojnik

I'm giving you another couple of days to get used to PES, Hitch. After that, it's open season online. You gonna get Juve-rekt.

ZabojnikGAF, if anyone (else) wants to add me on PSN.

Scum

What's great about Pro Evo is that teams actually feel different to play against. I banged some shit team 7-0 at home in the Europa League, then played City away and they beat me 3-1. Beat Villa 4-1 at home and then drew 1-1 away with Southampton. The better teams are legitimately harder to play against.

This is why Konami needs to get their shit together and make a thing out of Pro Evo again.
Anyone got this for PC then? How is it? Might add it to my already big backlog...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom