• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloosha

On the plus side, Begovic looked great.

Oscar was very impressive as well in the first half. Would have preferred that we subbed off Fabregas, after the red card, and kept Oscar in the game. Willian was very good as well.

Bristol Rovers lose and now this draw. Go away football. ;)

GHG

If theres anything to take from that performance its that we're exactly the same as we were last season which worked out pretty well. Not many teams look great after getting a player off, we did pretty well to get a draw. I don't think we will play many games with 10 men this season, might give everyone else a better chance if we did though

Your 2nd goal was lucky, you lacked fluidity in the final 3rd, Hazard didn't have the best of games and to top it all off you looked fragile defensively.

This isn't a 1 off either as it pretty much mirrors what we saw in the community shield game.

There are very few parallels to the start of last season when you started with a bang (which ultimately proved to be the difference come the end of the season).

yagal

But if Arsenal won't win the title and Chelsea aren't looking great, who will win it?

Ryan_Giggs_2894785b.jpg

Your 2nd goal was lucky, you lacked fluidity in the final 3rd, Hazard didn't have the best of games and to top it all off you looked fragile defensively.

This isn't a 1 off either as it pretty much mirrors what we saw in the community shield game.

There are very few parallels to the start of last season when you started with a bang (which ultimately proved to be the difference come the end of the season).

You clearly didn't watch us as much as I did last season. It was no different, like we hadnt had any time off. It wasn't like the start of last season, it was like the second half, which we were very clinical. Might have been a bit different today if Courtois hadnt been so stupid I really don't think Swansea would have got anything from the game if we had 11 men, as good as they were.

We were terrible in the Community Shield, completely off the pace except for Willian and Courtois, this was nothing like that.

GHG

You clearly didn't watch us as much as I did last season. It was no different, like we hadnt had any time off. It wasn't like the start of last season, it was like the second half, which we were very clinical. Might have been a bit different today if Courtois hadnt been so stupid I really don't think Swansea would have got anything from the game if we had 11 men, as good as they were.

We were terrible in the Community Shield, completely off the pace except for Willian and Courtois, this was nothing like that.

I saw quite a few of your games in the 2nd half of last season and all I saw was you grinding out games. Especially the games where Costa was injured/suspended and Fabregas was out.

I doubt you will be able to grind out 38 games to win the title without actually playing well, but hey, it's a Mourinho team so nothing is impossible I guess.

I saw quite a few of your games in the 2nd half of last season and all I saw was you grinding out games. Especially the games where Costa was injured/suspended and Fabregas was out.

I doubt you will be able to grind out 38 games to win the title without actually playing well, but hey, it's a Mourinho team so nothing is impossible I guess.

That lad's been missing since January and still hasn't returned.

Moobabe

"Much has been made of Chelsea's failure to attract a box-office name from outside the Premier League this summer."

This BBC summary article is... fair and balanced

"Much has been made of Chelsea's failure to attract a box-office name from outside the Premier League this summer."

I haven't really heard anything like this at all, I wasn't even under the impression that they were trying to sign anyone.

Still, 2-2 against Swansea in a game that any other team in the league would have lost. Chelsea still the team to beat for the title this year.

Moobabe

I haven't really heard anything like this at all, I wasn't even under the impression that they were trying to sign anyone.

Still, 2-2 against Swansea in a game that any other team in the league would have lost. Chelsea still the team to beat for the title this year.

I haven't heard anything like that either - if we want players we tend to get them.

We looked lethargic again - the best I've seen us play in pre-season was in the first half against Fiorentina where the front four was:

Falcao
Moses - Oscar - Cuadrado

It was fast, fluid and dynamic - Moses and Cuadrado both want to take people on and beat people. Neither Hazard nor Willian are prepared to get to the biline and chuck it in - which you need to do sometimes.

WAY too much has been made, though, of our pre season form:

Arsenal (a good side)
Fiorentina (who beat Barca pre season)
PSG (who we beat on penalties and who beat Man United)
Barcelona (who we beat on penalties)
NY Red Bulls who smashed us thanks to some poor defending.

We'll be fine.

You don't think?

(Sorry to ask for your actual thoughts, I know a gif is easier when you don't really have any.)

I mean yeah, your post was simply littered with justifications as to why every team but Chelsea would have lost today.

But I'll answer your belligerently worded post, you seem to be quite happy in assuming that most other teams:

• Would have had their GKs (De Gea, Cech) moronically charging out and gotten themselves sent off and down to 10 men
  • Would have constantly let their main creative players hold onto the ball for too long without any decent support
  • Would have subbed off their best performer after 50 minutes
  • Would have had and continued with such an utterly lethargic midfield without decent subs
  • Would have let sloppy/mis-matched defending to continue for the whole game (Montero-Ivanovic)
  • Subbed on a forward (and a defender lol) when Costa was barely getting any service as it was (having to constantly drop deep to help out in midfield)

Swansea played a very positive game but it doesn't hide the fact that Chelsea put in a very poor performance (in defence and midfield). Shutting down the 2-3 key Swansea performers and/or having a more active midfield would have won that game.

I mean yeah, your post was simply littered with justifications as to why every team but Chelsea would have lost today.

But I'll answer your belligerently worded post, you seem to be quite happy in assuming that most other teams:

• Would have had their GKs (De Gea, Cech) moronically charging out and gotten themselves sent off and down to 10 men
  • Would have constantly let their main creative players hold onto the ball for too long without any decent support
  • Would have subbed off their best performer after 50 minutes
  • Would have had and continued with such an utterly lethargic midfield without decent subs
  • Would have let sloppy/mis-matched defending to continue for the whole game (Montero-Ivanovic)
  • Subbed on a forward (and a defender lol) when Costa was barely getting any service as it was (having to constantly drop deep to help out in midfield)

Swansea played a very positive game but it doesn't hide the fact that Chelsea put in a very poor performance (in defence and midfield). Shutting down the 2-3 key Swansea performers and/or having a more active midfield would have won that game.

I wasn't literally saying that Swansea would win all their games this season, so I'm sorry if you read that into it.

I was saying that under those specific conditions, down to ten men against a very positive attacking side, there isn't a team in the league as good as Chelsea at grinding out results.

yagal

Marcelo Bielsa resigns

El loco indeed

OM was a mistake, It's nothing but trash

My hangover will never end

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The OM manager has resigned already ahahaha

Only 1 game into the new season, c'mon

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Woah, Don Drapers Hat - we have TWO Ipswich town fans?!

Which is exactly how many goals we scored yesterday
how many we conceded
and
how many points we dropped

ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I logged out of the internet and stopped refreshing at 90 minutes at 2-0.
Imagine my "delight" to find we'd drawn in injury time.

in other news - why is Charlie Austin still a QPR player now the season has started? That's crazy that he's not been picked up

Lashley

how many we conceded
and

in other news - why is Charlie Austin still a QPR player now the season has started? That's crazy that he's not been picked up

QPR taking the piss

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
are they though? 15m for an English striker with a 1 in 2 goal ration no matter where he has went?

as another option, i'd have thought he'd still attract some of the top teams, then Spurs down he could actually be the main striker pretty much

plus another player on the "English player" books

Lashley

Well, clearly other clubs don't think he's worth 15m.

Personally, I'd take the punt. Especially a team like Newcastle.

EmiPrime

I didn't think Chelsea were that bad. Swansea are no mugs and if Courtois doesn't get himself sent off it would have been an uneventful win for them. I still think they will win the league, just not by the massive margin they did last season.

Lunar FC

Going to be on the road for the entirety of the pool game tomorrow. Really sucks. Who is going to provide me play-by-play?

how many we conceded
and

And two words as to why we threw it away; Tommy Smith.

He's an absolute lemon. I have no faith in keeping a clean sheet whenever he's on the pitch.

Mista

Banned
I'm not a Chelsea fan, for the record. Like I say, as you appear to have missed, there's no better team in the league than Chelsea at grinding out results under those conditions. If you can name a better one, go ahead.

Yes, they're the best team in BPL right now but justifying Chelsea's horrible performance by saying that if it was any other team in the league would have lost that game against Swansea is RUBBISH!

I have such a man crush on Slaven Bilic. Ever since his interview when Croatia dicked on England. He must be the coolest man alive. So glad hes back in the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom