• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Have you seen their replacements? Their team will be fine, they will make even more cash when they sell the replacements.

Exactly. People said the same thing about Monaco after they sold James, Falcão (loan), Ferreira Carrasco, Kurzawa, Martial, Kondogbia and here we are. Their scouting department went to work, signed a bunch of young players, the coaches developed them and they are now being sold for fortunes after a great CL run.

Now they are doing the same thing, acquiring young talent and 3 years from now they will be sold for fortunes again.

So Liverpool paid a premium for RB Leipzig to keep him another year?

They paid a premium to avoid to compete against other clubs for a very small release clause next year. Of course this is a gamble because if the player gets injured or plays bad, they could have gotten him for cheaper. On the other hand if he performs well in the Bundesliga and in the CL this season, maybe they would have to compete against Barcelona, PSG, Bayern for his signing.

Clearly Klopp trusts his evaluation of the player and believes he fits in his system so there is no risk besides a major injury. I think it's a great deal for Liverpool (unless they paid a huge premium over his release clause) because next year you couldn't find decent midfielders for £42M.

Audioboxer

Dat long term planning, makes me all fuzzy.

For when you finish 8th, win no trophies and have to do without European football? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I jest, watching Pool dismantle Arsenal goes to show Liverpool's attacking quality is right up there in the league. Coutinho makes it even better, but I think you can survive without him.

Your defence has been for a few years now where you fall down.

azyless

NHale

That's a strange deal. We entered now the pre-order phase for the football players. One year in advance. I wonder what exclusive DLC does Liverpool get.

VVD and Lemar. Coutinho leaving. Just watch out.

I hope they don't forget to resign Can though. That guy is free to talk to other clubs in January, and I'm sure Bayern can't wait to talk to him....

sammex

Holy shit. Best bank holiday ever.

We've been looking to spend all summer before Coutinho stuff happened so I don't think they're linked.

The BBC stamp of confirmation on Keita

Niiiiiice. Be cool if Lamar would pan out now!

kloppo2-01nrt3.gif

A defender before Thursday would be nice too.

NHale

Jovetic to Monaco.

Seri gave an interview to Mundo Deportivo saying he's pissed that Nice refused Barcelona offer after saying to him they would let him go. Oh boy here we go again....

sammex

Maybe the Keita deal is related to Coutinho leaving, but next summer instead of this. Give Coutinho assurances he can go next year with Keita coming in to replace him and we don't get rinsed on the fee for his replacement.

MikeBison

Liverpool getting that preorder bonus.

Actually pretty smart. As soon as I was resigned to not getting him this year, I thought we'd never see him. Would have too many vultures circling that release clause.

Strange to see Liverpool getting shit done like this.

Sign Lemar and VVD and my head explodes.

NHale

Maybe the Keita deal is related to Coutinho leaving, but next summer instead of this. Give Coutinho assurances he can go next year with Keita coming in to replace him and we don't get rinsed on the fee for his replacement.

Keita isn't a Coutinho replacement unless Klopp is changing his tactics. Also Barcelona want/need Coutinho this year, because they want to secure Messi (only 1-year deal) and also please their fans after they promised them Dembele and Coutinho were signed and it was only a matter of hours until they signed (it has been almost 2 weeks lol)

That's why Barcelona is offering ridiculous amounts of money for both players (Coutinho reported offer was poorly conceived though), the board is feeling the pressure to sign now. Not next year. They aren't going to agree to deal similar to the Keita one. Camp Nou would probably riot if Bartomeu announced a deal that only took place next season.

Also hilarious that Mundo Deportivo today had a report saying Barcelona board liked Keita as a player for the future. The club is having a really hard offseason. Sad!

sammex

We would need a new defender to sell Van Dijk. 3 days to see...

Don't you guys have like 6 cbs including VVD?

Bednarek
Yoshida
Van Dijk
Hoedt
Stephens
Gardos

No Europe or league cup.. will you need another? (I dunno how good most of them are)

For when you finish 8th, win no trophies and have to do without European football? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I jest, watching Pool dismantle Arsenal goes to show Liverpool's attacking quality is right up there in the league. Coutinho makes it even better, but I think you can survive without him.

Your defence has been for a few years now where you fall down.

We've got something like 9 clean sheets in the last pl 12 m8. #imperious.

Hopefully Lemar happens too
never seen him play.
. I think getting a pacey attacker capable of stepping in for Mane or Salah and maintaining the level of our attack is a better way to go than getting a CB who isn't first choice, and VVD doesn't look like it's happening.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
For once I am impressed with Liverpool's transfer business. That was a very smart move.

We would need a new defender to sell Van Dijk. 3 days to see...

We will throw in Sakho for free. Will work out great for you as long as you don't mind CB's that have committed whatever warcrime it was that makes Klopp start Lovren instead.

MikeBison

Nail, head. I'm sure we're telling him the whole "you can go next year."

Would you be surprised to see Coutinho sign for Barca in a similar deal now?

Beefy

Don't you guys have like 6 cbs including VVD?

Bednarek
Yoshida
Van Dijk
Hoedt
Stephens
Gardos

No Europe or league cup.. will you need another? (I dunno how good most of them are)

Gardos is beyond shit and will only play u23, his contract ends soon. Guy is always injured and makes Lovren look consistent.

Are defenders go like this:

First team:

Van Dijk
Hoedt
Stephens
Yoshida

U23s:
Bednarek ( seen as a Gardos replacement)
Jones ( talented and very much seen as the future cb)

So would need another. Hoedt was Fonte's replacement as he is left sided.

sammex

Keita isn't a Coutinho replacement unless Klopp is changing his tactics. Also Barcelona want/need Coutinho this year, because they want to secure Messi (only 1-year deal) and also please their fans after they promised them Dembele and Coutinho were signed and it was only a matter of hours until they signed (it has been almost 2 weeks lol)

That's why Barcelona is offering ridiculous amounts of money for both players (Coutinho reported offer was poorly conceived though), the board is feeling the pressure to sign now. Not next year. They aren't going to agree to deal similar to the Keita one. Camp Nou would probably riot if Bartomeu announced a deal that only took place next season.

Also hilarious that Mundo Deportivo today had a report saying Barcelona board liked Keita as a player for the future. The club is having a really hard offseason. Sad!

I don't mean as a direct replacement, just someone who we could obtain using the money from Coutinho's sale, and not structured like Keita, more like when we agreed to listen to offers for Suarez after he gave us one more year. If they don't get him this year I'm sure they'll be back.

Nail, head. I'm sure we're telling him the whole "you can go next year."

Would you be surprised to see Coutinho sign for Barca in a similar deal now?

Won't happen - Keita had that buyout clause for next season which would have seen Leipzig lose out on cash the way the market is atm.

Ted Knutson from statsbomb explains the benefits doing it this way

tumblr_ovefaal6oG1t0grs4o2_540.png

tumblr_ovefaal6oG1t0grs4o1_540.png

Gardos is beyond shit and will only play u23, his contract ends soon. Guy is always injured and makes Lovren look consistent.

Are defenders go like this:

First team:

Van Dijk
Hoedt
Stephens
Yoshida

U23s:
Bednarek ( seen as a Gardos replacement)
Jones ( talented and very much seen as the future cb)

So would need another. Hoedt was Fonte's replacement as he is left sided.

Ah got it. Makes sense you'd need another then.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Barcelona board should be ashamed for paying 130m Euros for this clown. He's gonna be a bust and he can't replace Neymar.

He has destroyed any good will the neutrals might have for him as well. If Phil turns out for Brazil I'm putting him at the very top of my shit list.

Audioboxer

We've got something like 9 clean sheets in the last pl 12 m8. #imperious.

Hopefully Lemar happens too
never seen him play.
. I think getting a pacey attacker capable of stepping in for Mane or Salah and maintaining the level of our attack is a better way to go than getting a CB who isn't first choice, and VVD doesn't look like it's happening.

Your defence is still more of a liability than your attack. As I said Liverpool's attack with Salah being added is quite frightening. Mane is sheer class. So is Firmino. Sturridge is a bit meh if you ask me, but his goal return hasn't been too bad.

If only you could hold onto Coutinho! He's being a complete fuck-nugget though and when players do that they lose the fans. Considering he signed that new 5-year contract he should be doing what Ronaldo did at Man Utd. Fergie promised he could leave after one more year, and he still went out on the park and smashed it for that year. Liverpool are in the CL this season, so Coutinho, pls, calm down, play your football and give Liverpool one more year instead of abandoning them on the transfer deadline.

azyless

Why I am glad we got Lemina. Guy is class and no African break crap.
How has Lemina been ? I don't get to watch Juve/Southampton that often, and he was formed at my club, never forgot how our idiotic owner sold him to Marseille in the last minutes of the transfer window while our coach counted on him and we had no replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom