• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

They have their own channels now iirc.

Yep.

DT has managed to amass 100k subscribers in just a year and a half or so.

The popular guys are now using AFTV as a platform. Fair play to them, Arsenal are profiting from the fans while not giving much back so the fans may as well find a way to make money from it if nothing else.

sammex

DT now wears a go pro strapped to his chest pointed at his face whilst in the stadium so you can watch him during the game. It's the next step in pointless reaction videos. Whatever gets those views I guess.

England will score a few goals against Malta then everyone will think they're good. Then they'll go out in the group stage of the next tournament and the cycle will continue.

I think our media is starting to come to the realisation that we're not very good now. It's taking them well over 50 years, but I think they're finally there.

I don't think anybody realistically think we'll do any good in the upcoming World Cup.

Blablurn

Here, have a bigger version

fJFlL6n.gif

lol

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
At least Alexis gets to play for a real football team during this break.

It's funny how he's not even trying to hide what he thinks. I don't know if I have ever seen a player so disgusted with their own team.

pbsapeer

Banned
Leicester bidding £23million for johnny Evans. I never thought he'd be the subject of a bidding war in this summer's transfer window.

It's funny how he's not even trying to hide what he thinks. I don't know if I have ever seen a player so disgusted with their own team.

He's clearly very distressed with the situation but you can't accuse him of not giving his all. Especially when you compare him to snakes like Coutinho or Dembele.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
He's clearly very distressed with the situation but you can't accuse him of not giving his all. Especially when you compare him to snakes like Coutinho or Dembele.

Yea, there's been no tantrums from him, no 'leaks' to the media etc. He actually looked like he was trying for the first 15 mins or so. He's being wasted at Arsenal, the only silver lining is that he doesn't have to worry about his World Cup place.

azyless

L'Equipe reporting Liverpool made a 72M€ offer to Monaco for Lemar.
These prices are beyond absurd. And I'd rather we get a good defender.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Who wouldn't be disgusted when he would be made part of tactical experiments and forced to combine with Welbeck in the most important game of the start of the season.

He even tried to do something on his own for the first 15-20 minutes. Most ended with nobody around to pass the ball.

Markitron

Who wouldn't be disgusted when he would be made part of tactical experiments and forced to combine with Welbeck in the most important game of the start of the season.

He even tried to do something on his own for the first 15-20 minutes. Most ended with nobody around to pass the ball.

What was the supposed reason for Welbeck being started ahead of Lazazette? That one made no sense to me.

T-Rex.

Banned
L'Equipe reporting Liverpool made a 72M€ offer to Monaco for Lemar.
These prices are beyond absurd. And I'd rather we get a good defender.
whynotboth.gif

People like to shit on Liverpool, but honestly we're really not that far off a title challenge. Sign all the good players.

If Mane stayed at Southampton and had the kind of season he had for Liverpool, in this transfer season, how much would Liverpool have to pay for him?

What's the reasoning behind Monaco (supposedly) letting Mbappe leave for PSG on loan? How does that benefit them? It he's a complete flop then they lose out on all those monies.

Or is it just a case of the deal already cemented but PSG want the deal to look like it happens next year to appease the FFP rules?

azyless

whynotboth.gif

Well yeah of course lol. I just haven't seen much talk about any defender not called van Dijk so I'm not very optimistic.

What's the reasoning behind Monaco (supposedly) letting Mbappe leave for PSG on loan? How does that benefit them? It he's a complete flop then they lose out on all those monies.

Or is it just a case of the deal already cemented but PSG want the deal to look like it happens next year to appease the FFP rules?
This is 100% the case. PSG are obligated to buy him next year. I guess Monaco will get a few more millions by playing their game instead of insisting on selling him now.

Markitron

whynotboth.gif

People like to shit on Liverpool, but honestly we're really not that far off a title challenge. Sign all the good players.

Our first choice 11 would give anyone a game, it's the depth that worries me, especially in defense. If Matip is injured our starting CB's are Klavan and Lovren, I don't think we are winning anything with those two.

whynotboth.gif

I'm still seeing the same pattern as last year. Trashing defensively incompetent teams like Arsenal and Hoffenheim with fantastic football while struggling against teams who sit back deep. Also none of the problems in defence were addressed. Still no decent goalkeeper. I'd be pretty furious with the transfer acitivty.

Liverpool should be happy to finish in the top-4.

T-Rex.

Banned
Our first choice 11 would give anyone a game, it's the depth that worries me, especially in defense. If Matip is injured our starting CB's are Klavan and Lovren, I don't think we are winning anything with those two.
Unless you buy a defence you won't win the league. Been you achilles for years now.
Sign a CB and a midfielder that is good enough to provide cover for Coutinho/Lallana when they're out before the window closes and we'll 100% challenge for the league. Like Mark says, our starting XI is really good, it's just that the drop in quality from our first choice players and our bench players is too big.

I'm still seeing the same pattern as last year. Trashing defensively incompetent teams like Arsenal and Hoffenheim with fantastic football while struggling against teams who sit back deep.

To be fair, we're missing both Lallana and Coutinho. Gini and Can are great in certain games (matches where the opposition attack us) but they're not the most creative when it comes to breaking teams down. As a result our midfield is fairly static against the teams that defend deep. I think we'll have more luck when Lallana and Coutinho are back in. I agree that the aim should be to consolidate top 4 this season btw, but I just think we're so close to having a team that can challenge that it would be a waste not to sign anymore players. Don't let your dreams be dreams and all that.

I'm still seeing the same pattern as last year. Trashing defensively incompetent teams like Arsenal and Hoffenheim with fantastic football while struggling against teams who sit back deep. Also none of the problems in defence were addressed. Still no decent goalkeeper. I'd be pretty furious with the transfer acitivty.

Yeah I'm already convinced Mou has a solid gameplan to grab a point against Lpool.

Have no idea whey they haven't gone for Butland or Schmeichel instead of wasting half the summer chasing Keita.

Dadasch

There are a lot of sources saying Yarmolenko is not only in Dortmund, he even passed the medical check already.
25 mio...not bad. Experienced, 27yo player, but his Dribbling skills are of course not even remotely good as Dembele's. Pulisic has to take more responsibility.

Markitron

Yeah I'm already convinced Mou has a solid gameplan to grab a point against Lpool.

I'm hoping United come to Anfield and attack. The game last year was easily one of the most boring I have ever seen.

Have no idea whey they haven't gone for Butland or Schmeichel instead of wasting half the summer chasing Keita.

Don't get me started. I love Klopp but he makes some bizarre decisions sometimes. He's so forgiving of Moreno, Lovren and Karius but Sakho is public enemy number 1.

Markitron

even jacking Arsenals transfer targets now. Lashley, if you want it to stop, just reply to this.

The Lemar rumours don't make much sense to me. It's not really the kind of player we need.

MikeBison

The Lemar rumours don't make much sense to me. It's not really the kind of player we need.

I agree and disagree. Probably doesn't come into the first 11 but we need depth. We're one or two injuries to those forward players away from looking shit again. See last January. I think a CB or CDM should be priority, but if you can get him, why not.

NHale

That's what I think as well. He likes to play in a wide position, so where would he fit in Liverpool system? Surely Klopp isn't thinking about playing him at left back right?

Because right now with Mane, Salah and Firmino, I don't see how Lemar fits in. Depth? You don't pay that much for a bench player. Play him in the midfield? Maybe if Coutinho is really leaving...

I agree and disagree. Probably doesn't come into the first 11 but we need depth. We're one or two injuries to those forward players away from looking shit again. See last January. I think a CB or CDM should be priority, but if you can get him, why not.

Do you think a up and coming player like Lemar that has multiple teams interested in him with a fee of > £70M is going to accept to come to Liverpool to be a bench player especially in a World Cup year? Are you serious? Do you really think Mbappe is also going to PSG to ride the reserves as well?

Markitron

That's what I think as well. He looks to play in a wide position, so where would he fit in Liverpool system? Surely Klopp isn't thinking about playing him at left back right?

Because right now with Mane, Salah and Firmino, I don't see how Lemar fits in. Depth? You don't pay that much for a bench player. Play him in the midfield? Maybe if Coutinho is really leaving...

I'd love for it to be true, be a very nice option off the bench, but is he really going to want to go to a team where he probably won't start?

T-Rex.

Banned
5 goals conceded in our last 9 league games btw. 7 clean sheets in our last 9 and all. I think we can do a lot better than Lovren, but he's ok alongside Matip.

That's what I think as well. He looks to play in a wide position, so where would he fit in Liverpool system? Surely Klopp isn't thinking about playing him at left back right?

Midfield probably. Coutinho's most likely off next year so maybe we're just looking to plan ahead.

azyless

I find him better in the center of the pitch than as a pure winger. Either at CAM or as a roaming midfielder.
I don't think he should be a priority but I would much prefer him to the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain.

NHale

Midfield probably. Coutinho's most likely off next year so maybe we're just looking to plan ahead.

Lemar is also looking ahead...for the World Cup. He wants to be there with France, so why would he accept to come this year to Liverpool to ride the bench instead of staying at Monaco and keep showcasing his skills as a starting player on his preferred position in the Ligue 1 and Champions League?

To me this rumor only makes sense if Coutinho is indeed leaving but imho Liverpool has much bigger needs than a £70M winger/converted attacking midfielder.

T-Rex.

Banned
Lemar is also looking ahead...for the World Cup. He wants to be there with France, so why would he accept to come this year to Liverpool to ride the bench instead of staying at Monaco and keep showcasing his skills as a starting player on his preferred position in the Ligue 1 and Champions League?

To me this rumor only makes sense if Coutinho is indeed leaving but imho Liverpool has much bigger needs than a £70M winger/converted attacking midfielder.
He's not necessarily going to sit on the bench though. The majority of the teams that play us aren't going to attack us, so maybe we plan to go full heavy metal and play Coutinho, Lemar in midfield with Mane, Firmino, Salah up front? Who knows.

I don't think it'll happen though cos didn't they tell Wenger he wasn't for sale?

Markitron

I don't think he should be a priority but I would much prefer him to the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The speculation around Oxlade-Chamberlain is so strange. He's an average player that doesn't always start for last season's 5th place team, has a terrible injury record and is in the last year of his contract. And Chelsea/Liverpool are supposedly fighting it out to spend £30-40m on him. That's just crazy when you think about it.

NHale

He's not necessarily going to sit on the bench though. The majority of the teams that play us aren't going to attack us, so maybe we plan to go full heavy metal and play Coutinho, Lemar in midfield with Mane, Firmino, Salah up front? Who knows.

I don't think it'll happen though cos didn't they tell Wenger he wasn't for sale?

That would really be a joy to watch but at the same time that back 4 would even be more exposed than ever.

Yes, Wenger said last week that he wasn't for sale anymore. This would be the ultimate fuckery over Arsenal, getting their main target after Wenger said he wasn't for sale. To me if Lemar is signing for Liverpool is because they accepted Coutinho leaving for Barcelona but are buying his replacement before any announcement (and right now everyone believes they aren't selling), which would be the most common sense to do but still the only team this offseason to do this.

Liverpool are one injury away from crisis. I don't get why people don't understand that. Lallana is out, Coutinho is injury prone and pur front three's only backup is Sturridge and maybe Origi on form.

It's not even about the bench. Lamar comes in, Wijnaldum gets pushed to bench. We have so many games this season and have a frail team, just look at last season for reference and we didn't have Europe.

Best wishes.

T-Rex.

Banned
That would really be a joy to watch but at the same time that back 4 would even be more exposed than ever.

Yes, Wenger said last week that he wasn't for sale anymore. This would be the ultimate fuckery over Arsenal, getting their main target after Wenger said he wasn't for sale. To me if Lemar is signing for Liverpool is because they accepted Coutinho leaving for Barcelona but are buying his replacement before any announcement (and right now everyone believes they aren't selling), which would be the most common sense to do but still the only team this offseason to do this.
I do agree that it seems as if Coutinho could be off, but hopefully that's not the case. I'd love to see that team play football.

Interestingly, Melissa Reddy (has contacts at the club) is now reporting on this as well and she says he's keen on moving here and Monaco haven't rejected our offer (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom