• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mohamed Salah
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Andy Robertson
Dominic Solanke
Naby Keita (2018)

So that's our summer business. Not something you shout from the rooftops with, obviously not getting VVD or any CB is a disappointment and maybe getting Keita this year would ease the pain a bit. But I'm relatively happy I suppose. I won't put a final judgement because I wanna see if Coutinho is still here. I think if he stays, it will help a bit too. We forget how good he can sometimes be. Imagine him providing Mane, Salah and Ox with killer through-balls mmm.

6/10 right now. 6.5 if Coutinho stays.
That would be great transfer window for any team besides Liverpool. How dense must you be to assemble such an unbalanced squad, fucking hell. Installing a new motor when your tires are flat.

Jarnet87

Jose thinks he can win the league with Blind as LB. Good luck.

Actually surprised Smalling stayed put at United. We seem to have one too many centre backs. Once they're all fit we'll have 5 to choose from.

He'll get his chance, you just know there is no way Jones can stay healthy. Smalling and Lindelof could get a lot of the mid week games. I think all 5 get playing time. Lets see if Shaw comes back motivated and can stay healthy, he can easily win back the starting job.

Southampton are like a reverse Liverpool

Let's join forces and win the league... 8)

That would be great transfer window for any team besides Liverpool. How dense must you be to assemble such an unbalanced squad, fucking hell. Installing a new motor when your tires are flat.

It makes you scratch your head. But I think a lot of people still trust Klopp and his staff to know what they're doing. Guess we'll know if it's a deathwish to not sort the defending out...

Zasa

Vamos Chile mierda. Need these 3 points & they need to play cautiously. 9 players on the tightrope this game including Sánchez & Vidal

MikeBison

So sort Van Dijk's head out and we have probably one of the best defences in the league , nice

I'm apoplectic if I'm him. Does everything he can to get a move, pissing of his current fans in the process. Ones that seem to hold grudges better than anyone. Thinks he's going to be playing in front of 60k in the champions league when he knows full well he's one of the best defenders in Europe, but instead, he gets the chance to reintegrate, partner Yoshida and battle for the elusive upper mid-table trophy.

Plus, ITK says Pellegrino gives shit hugs.

Floody

Yep, seems Klopp and co our willing to gamble and hope we can do alright until January and then try and get VvD. I just hope we have back-ups planned by then.

I'm apoplectic if I'm him. Does everything he can to get a move, pissing of his current fans in the process. Ones that seem to hold grudges better than anyone. Thinks he's going to be playing in front of 60k in the champions league when he knows full well he's one of the best defenders in Europe, but instead, he gets the chance to reintegrate, partner Yoshida and battle for the elusive upper mid-table trophy.

They received no bids, they couldn't sell him if they wanted to.

We fucked any possible deal from happening too, not them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
here in Portugal they are saying Leicester is trying to get a extension on the transfer window to finish up signing Adrien Silva from Sporting (they even say he is in England), any truth to that?

T-Rex.

Banned
Would have been a great window had we signed a CB. Still, if we get lucky with injuries we can walk away with the "Put The Pressure On" trophy maybe.

here in Portugal they are saying Leicester is trying to get a extension on the transfer window to finish up signing Adrien Silva from Sporting (they even say he is in England), any truth to that?
I think Sky Sports were reporting that he was at their training ground.

Jarnet87

if he had thought about moving to a bigger club should have made it mandatory for a buyout clause in that contract he signed just over a year ago.Something players should learn from this window.

MikeBison

SSN said it was a done deal providing drinkwater went. Seeings as that's a transfer that went down to the wire, I could see that being true.

Nobody holds grudges better than Liverpool fans.

T-Rex.

Banned
A defence that had Flanagan and Cissokho in it almost won the league so y'know, whatever. We'll be fun to watch at the very least.

Referencing?

Torres got a huge round of applause playing at Anfield for a charity match, so did Suarez.

Cool with Mascherano.

Sterling, it's a few jokes more than anything.

Still idolise Alonso.

Sterling I think is still pretty unpopular. Him and Owen are 2 that I think fans haven't forgiven. The others are cool IMO. Coutinho would he have left this summer, because of his behaviour would probably join those 2.

Beefy

Some Saints fans only hate, Lallana, Lovren. Only because of the way they went. Van Dijk will be forgiven as soon as he plays well.

MikeBison

Sterling I think is still pretty unpopular. Him and Owen are 2 that I think fans haven't forgiven. The others are cool IMO. Coutinho would he have left this summer, because of his behaviour would probably join those 2.

And with Owen I think people just consider him a knob. Not like passionately hated. A bit judas-y for sure. Mad they made him an ambassador.

Weird thing about LFC defending is that they can do it. Top 6 rarely score against us. Or not like an unusual amount. Win 2-1 or 3-1. And like I said, we've kept 6 clean sheets in 7 games.

It's just a specific type of defending. Have most of the possession against a physical team and then they have a set piece. Suddenly everyone completely bottles it.

I'm honestly struggling to think of who I'm like 'fuck you' to, and it was Torres for a fair while, but Cou's one is weird for me. I don't like how any of this was handled, by each side, but my judgement on him as a player will be based on how he actually plays when he comes back.

I've never been too swept up in players, outside of Anfield born and bred, so the detachment means I'm never too pissed when someone moves on. I actively supported Mascherano/Alonso for instance (had everything been more transparent this summer, I wouldn't have minded Cou going either, Barca and Liverpool have had a good relationship; they gave us our best keeper in decades for instance), Sterling I was pissed that, again, it was just so hackneyed by every party, but I don't really give two fucks about him, it's still his career.

As long as you're playing whilst your still a red, that's all I want from you. I'll cheer if you score, I'll praise your skill, I'll clap at every good challenge, but it's not your name I'll ever wear, it's not Klopp's either, it's the club's.

sora87

It was Sterling's agent that was the bigger cunt tbf

Bad window. Our defense wasn't fixed at all since last season, we didn't invest in a Coutinho replacement for next year, Can's contract is running down, left-back is still a mystery and no solid depth for wingers.

We end up getting AOC who is just as injury prone, if not more than our current midfield, Lallana is out till November/December and both Lovren and Moreno continue to give heart attacks.

Salah was the only great purchase with Solanke having potential. Keita buy is fantastic but a gamble. Anything can happen in a year, whereas we needed him this season.

If either Matip or Lovren are out, we are stuck with Klavan and Gomez for depth. I'm just glad that Trent and Gomez are kind of stepping up.

I'll be happy if we get top-4 with this current squad but honestly, we are just 2 injuries from crisis like January right now.

Best wishes.

Zasa

The WC is overrated anyway

Edit: We're never gonna score. Paraguay have parked the bus all game, we can't penetrate at all through the middle, which leads to a bunch of bad crosses to players who can't win headers. Then we lose possession off a bad pass & we're extremely vulnerable on the counter as we defend a bunch of space.

Same old, same old. I've seen this game one too many times

Tainted

Bad window. Our defense wasn't fixed at all since last season, we didn't invest in a Coutinho replacement for next year, Can's contract is running down, left-back is still a mystery and no solid depth for wingers.

We end up getting AOC who is just as injury prone, if not more than our current midfield, Lallana is out till November/December and both Lovren and Moreno continue to give heart attacks.

Salah was the only great purchase with Solanke having potential. Keita buy is fantastic but a gamble. Anything can happen in a year, whereas we needed him this season.

If either Matip or Lovren are out, we are stuck with Klavan and Gomez for depth. I'm just glad that Trent and Gomez are kind of stepping up.

I'll be happy if we get top-4 with this current squad but honestly, we are just 2 injuries from crisis like January right now.

Best wishes.

If the Sun and Metro UK are to be believed, Coutinho will be gone in the next 24hrs in a £138m deal :(

If the Sun and Metro UK are to be believed, Coutinho will be gone in the next 24hrs in a £138m deal :(

Biggest problem with that is the first source you just mentioned tbh.

Not saying it couldn't happen and Pool are left with egg on their face after this summer, but there'd be no reason for us to take that money when we didn't even try to match Arsenal's bid for Lemar.

Edit:

Second source is no better, but fuck the Sun.

I don’t get this attitude towards Arsenal from sanchez supporters. Why does Arsenal owe him a transfer? He’s the most talented player in their roster and their star man. Clubs should defend their star players and try to extend their contracts. If Sanchez doesn’t want to that’s on him, but he did 4 years ago and he will get paid even if he’s useless on the field.

If man city wanted him so bad, they should’ve made a higher offer earlier in the window. No information has changed since really June. Despite all the “we want to keep Sanchez” messages, if a 70m bid was made in June, hell maybe even 50 back then, and I’m sure he’d be a city player.

To me - all deadline transfers are panic buys, this just shows he was pretty low in pep’s recruitment plans this summer. Makes sense, he’ll probably get him for free next year and city’s attack is pretty strong as is

Floody

Best wishes.

Any team would be in a crisis with 5 key players out, not sure why I keep seeing people say that like it's a problem only Liverpool could face. We've been more than fine with Lallana, Clyne and Coutinho out so far, last season that would have completely fucked us. Our players are stepping up. Only thing I'm worried about is we just have no depth in defence and it seemed Matip and Lovren were taking turn being injure for the week at times last season. But our defence is always in a constant state of crisis, so It'd be nothing new really.

Floody

Metro is a shit source, pretty much as unreliable as you can get.
The Sun is literally banned from anything to do with LFC and the City of Liverpool are trying to have it outright not be allowed in the cit too. They'd know absolutely nothing about anything Liverpool related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom