• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
And with Owen I think people just consider him a knob. Not like passionately hated. A bit judas-y for sure. Mad they made him an ambassador.

Weird thing about LFC defending is that they can do it. Top 6 rarely score against us. Or not like an unusual amount. Win 2-1 or 3-1. And like I said, we've kept 6 clean sheets in 7 games.

It's just a specific type of defending. Have most of the possession against a physical team and then they have a set piece. Suddenly everyone completely bottles it.

I think you mean Lovren since majority of those set piece goals come against him.

Yager

Banned
Without Messi we would never get to the WC. I don't know why the fuck Sampaoli thought that having Icardi and Acuña there was a good call. But oh well, it's his first official match, at least Argentina had the ball most of the time despite not having a single clue of what to do with it besides the moments Messi tried to do something. Dybala was shit too.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think you mean Lovren since majority of those set piece goals come against him.

Very often it is his fault but everyone seems to go missing. Can't remember which, but there was a goal recently from a corner where Firmino of all people was marking their biggest player and just let him go. It takes a collective effort to be so shit at defending set pieces.

T-Rex.

Banned
Matip and Lovren have played 21 games together, in those matches we've conceded 16 goals so around 0.76 goals conceded per game. 10 clean sheets, 1 defeat. That's not bad for the worst defence football has ever seen.

Just hope we ordered a lot of horse placenta to keep them fit for the season cos Klavan is shite. Still don't know why we took the risk because there's no way they don't pick up injuries if the last few seasons are anything to go, but ah well.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Matip and Lovren have played 21 games together, in those matches we've conceded 16 goals so around 0.76 goals conceded per game. 10 clean sheets, 1 defeat. That's not bad for the worst defence football has ever seen.

Just hope we ordered a lot of horse placenta to keep them fit for the season cos Klavan is shite.

Depends on who the full-backs are as well. Clyne and Milner are solid enough but Moreno can leave them massively exposed. Moreno and Lovren on the same flank is a recipe for disaster. With TAA and Robertson in the mix, it might be a while before we have a settled back 4.

With a bit of luck we can make it to January relatively unscathed and get someone in, and it doesn't have to be VVD!

MikeBison

Just hope we ordered a lot of horse placenta to keep them fit for the season cos Klavan is shite. Still don't know why we took the risk because there's no way they don't pick up injuries if the last few seasons are anything to go, but ah well.

Every so often Klavan has a beasting game. Will jeep Kane/Ageuro/Lukaku/Giroud totally quiet.

See coutinho break down crying after his goal last night?

My hopes:

Window shuts
Back in training
Pictures hugging Klopp
Grovelling apology
Fires agent
Gets back to producing the magic.

Markitron

As an aside, I am genuinely shocked we never got rid of Moreno this window. That was presumed to be a top priority for me.

He's brainless, I can't explain it. Markovich is the bigger mystery to me, surely we could have left him on someone's doorstep and just ran away.

Haven't seen it, is the implication that he is crying because his move didn't go thru?

T-Rex.

Banned
Depends on who the full-backs are as well. Clyne and Milner are solid enough but Moreno can leave them massively exposed. Moreno and Lovren on the same flank is a recipe for disaster. With TAA and Robertson in the mix, it might be a while before we have a settled back 4.

With a bit of luck we can make it to January relatively unscathed and get someone in, and it doesn't have to be VVD!
Definitely, although to be fair to Moreno I think he's played ok so far this season.

I'm not blind to the flaws in the team (and it's why I was desperate for Van Dijk) but I think we've done ok this window. I'm optimistic we'll have a good season. The way some opposition fans go on it's as if we're some bang average side that's lucked its way to where we are right now (not good enough to beat Hoffenheim bla bla bla), and I think that's hilarious. We're a good side.

Every so often Klavan has a beasting game. Will jeep Kane/Ageuro/Lukaku/Giroud totally quiet.

My hopes:

Window shuts
Back in training
Pictures hugging Klopp
Grovelling apology
Fires agent
Gets back to producing the magic.
He pretty much epitomises Liverpool FC. Good against the best, inconsistent against the rest. Very weird player. I wonder if there'll be some Barca fuckery today or if they've accepted he's staying? I don't blame him for wanting to leave, or for acting like a tit, so as far as I'm concerned it's all good as soon as he puts on the shirt again.

Apparently his dad turned up to training and the atmosphere was like a "funeral" :lol

MikeBison

Could go both ways. Either way, he must be emotional. Doesn't get his move so he's gutted. Has pissed off his fans.

Tbh I can forgive him soon enough. He's that good. As soon as he puts in a shift for us, I'm easy. This is his 6th season with us, so fully understand why he wants a move (as do most). But yeah, gone about it in the absolute worst way.

I wonder if there'll be some Barca fuckery today or if they've accepted he's staying?

Apparently his dad turned up to training and the atmosphere was like a "funeral" :lol

Even if Barca themselves make no real effort today, if anyone at all at the Nou so much as coughs, watch every single pundit and journalist declare how the move is going ahead. This is the story they've loved as much as Neymar, people still kept mentioning it yesterday ahead of more active stories like Alexis. Now, there's nothing else on the horizon today but this.

Edit:

Good thing you signed Chamberlain to replace him then.

Tbf, if it's between Ox and an early hole in our attack - the only aspect of us that is strong, and already dented without Lallana, I know you don't rate him but I'll take Ox. At least it looks like he wants to play.

Our last three games we've had to play full backs at centre back because all 3 (that's right THREE!) of our centre backs have been injured.

So who do we sign with only hours remaining of the transfer window? That's right! A 19 year old right back on loan from Everton.

Very often it is his fault but everyone seems to go missing. Can't remember which, but there was a goal recently from a corner where Firmino of all people was marking their biggest player and just let him go. It takes a collective effort to be so shit at defending set pieces.

It begs to ask why is Firmino even marking their biggest player? But I do see your point.

a) William Carvalho soreness is gone. Yay. Best player on the pitch yesterday (ok, there was also some guy called Ronaldo). The miracle of national teams. Coutinho also an example of this phenomenon.

b) We are going to lose our captain and have no time to replace him (not that we would, but still having the chance to is important). This is some serious bullshit. This whole deadline thing needs to change, especially now that PL clubs have money to buy whoever they want. Why the fuck didn't Leicester bid for him sooner? Just to fuck us over? Fuck off.

Pachimari

I feel like with FM 2018, that I wanna play a Premier League session, where I play one match a week to follow the real schedule of the league. Anyone else doing this?

Markitron

I feel like with FM 2018, that I wanna play a Premier League session, where I play one match a week to follow the real schedule of the league. Anyone else doing this?

I used to do this with Formula One, I'd do the full 50 or so lap race just before the main event started.

Pachimari

What's up with Barcelona rumors targeting all kinds of ex Real Madrid players lol. First Di Maria, now Özil. None of it will probably happen.

Tried back in 2011, got through a whole chunk of the season too, but it does lose its charm some months in.

Moobabe

An odd but decent window for us.

Have to admit I didn't know about our new right back - but it sounds like he's a Conte type of player who loves to run lots.

On the whole it's a good crop we've brought in and, I think, makes the squad stronger and gives us rotation options which we've desperately needed.

In:

Cabellero
Rudiger
Christensen (back from loan)
Zappacosta
Bakayoko
Drinkwater
Morata
DIoKv6pXYAAlN4T.jpg:large

Makeda

What's up with Barcelona rumors targeting all kinds of ex Real Madrid players lol. First Di Maria, now Özil. None of it will probably happen.

Barca are like a jealous ex at the moment - Got Dumped by Neymar which hurt their status as one of the most elite clubs in the world. So in order to feel powerful again, they are going around trying to court the attention of former players of rivals to show that they are still a force.

It's all ego boosting tactics and IMO the scatter-shot approach of their window reeks of desperation and crowd appeasing from Barca's under-fire president.

I like Ozil though. I just don't think he's right for Arsenal and this league.

Biased as a Red here, but I agree, he's a better fit for La Liga than with Arsenal. The problem with this transfer is if they batted away City's bid with Alexis because they couldn't get any replacement, all their players will be looking more valuable to them now. I can see Barca not bothering to throw too much at them tbh.

Cappa

Banned
Biased as a Red here, but I agree, he's a better fit for La Liga than with Arsenal. The problem with this transfer is if they batted away City's bid with Alexis because they couldn't get any replacement, all their players will be looking more valuable to them now. I can see Barca not bothering to throw too much at them tbh.
Ozil is terribly inconsistent no matter what league he's in. Why do you guys thibk Madrid let him go?

Any team would be in a crisis with 5 key players out, not sure why I keep seeing people say that like it's a problem only Liverpool could face. We've been more than fine with Lallana, Clyne and Coutinho out so far, last season that would have completely fucked us. Our players are stepping up. Only thing I'm worried about is we just have no depth in defence and it seemed Matip and Lovren were taking turn being injure for the week at times last season. But our defence is always in a constant state of crisis, so It'd be nothing new really.

Because we have quite a few injury prone players. Just like you mentioned above, Lovren and Matip kept taking turns being injured last season. Henderson is suspect with his foot, Sturridge is a glass cannon, Gomez just had two seasons of long injuries and Mane also just got back from a knee injury last season.

If our defense is in a constant state of crisis and the bs going on with Coutinho, we should've resolved them. I'm just glad we managed to get Keita in case we really do lose Emre next summer.

Markitron

Ozil is terribly inconsistent no matter what league he's in. Why do you guys thibk Madrid let him go?

IIRC the fans were quite against that though weren't they? I was under the impression that it was his decision in the end. Gareth Bale arriving probably didn't help.

azyless

An Arsenal supporter told me their transfer window was a success since they kept Ozil and Sanchez and he thinks they'll be challenging for the title, so all is well.
Tbh I don't know if this season is gonna be that bad for them, unless Sanchez stops giving a fuck I think they can still smash smaller clubs and miraculously finish 4th despite an horrendous top 6 record. They were one point away from doing it last year after all.
But I'm not optimistic for what happens after that with Sanchez and Ozil (and a few others) leaving on a free transfer and their board unwilling to spend any money.

Wasn't saying he was great as a whole, just that he'd fit in La Liga than the Prem more. If Barca are missing a slot in midfield and Cout doesn't leave here, no reason to rule him out.

Markitron

Tbh I don't know if this season is gonna be that bad for them, unless Sanchez stops giving a fuck I think they can still smash smaller clubs and miraculously finish 4th despite an horrendous top 6 record. They were one point away from doing it last year after all.

I don't think there are any positives for them. Their manager is inept in all aspects of his job and is backed by the board that is seemingly only interested in money. They have made a terrible start and the confidence of their squad is completely shot. Their two best players don't want to stay and will be talking to new clubs in 4 months. They have a paper-thin squad which they didn't add to, and have Europa League games this year. Their fans are in open opposition to the management, who has consistently been lying to them and the atmosphere at their stadium is toxic. A glut of new signings maybe could have turned this around, but big players don't want to play for them anymore.

There is absolutely no positive spin on this. I haven't seen a crisis like this at a big club since Liverpool back in 2010, and Leeds before that. This does not end well for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom