• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you look at Arsenal's transfer window without the three games already played most people would say they had a pretty decent one.

They kept Sanchez and Ozil. They brought in Lacazette and a defender. They sold Oxlade-Chamberlain for almost £40m.

That's all good work.

Maybe now the transfer window is closed their players will buckle down and actually try.

I don't think there are any positives for them. Their manager is inept in all aspects of his job and is backed by the board that is seemingly only interested in money. They have made a terrible start and the confidence of their squad is completely shot. Their two best players don't want to stay and will be talking to new clubs in 4 months. They have a paper-thin squad which they didn't add to, and have Europa League games this year. Their fans are in open opposition to the management and the atmosphere at their stadium is toxic.

There is absolutely no positive spin on this.

It does reek of a similar stench as Hicks and Gillette, if only for a few other differences; Wenger is far less respected by the fans and team than Rafa was. It's why despite how funny this all is as banter, and as much as everyone gets a kick out of watching AFTV, I do genuinely empathise with how fucking angry their fans are getting.

Cappa

Banned
IIRC the fans were quite against that though weren't they? I was under the impression that it was his decision in the end. Gareth Bale arriving probably didn't help.
I mean ozil is a fan favorite for sure and I didn't want him sold either but his biggest negative is his inconsistencies. Like he literally disappears in all the big games lol.

I think arsenal not selling Sánchez is a huge mistake considering he will probably leave on a free.

Pachimari

It was Ozil's father demanding more money and Florentino Perez don't deal this way. He was sold because of the demands the Ozil camp made.

He also has poor fatigue.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It does reek of a similar stench as Hicks and Gillette, if only for a few other differences; Wenger is far less respected by the fans and team than Rafa was. It's why despite how funny this all is as banter, and as much as everyone gets a kick out of watching AFTV, I do genuinely empathise with how fucking angry their fans are getting.

They don't have the threat of administration, which is the big difference. But a Toxic atmosphere like this takes a lot of time and a lot of changes. The worst thing for Arsenal fans is that changes don't look like they are going to happen anytime soon.

It was Ozil's father demanding more money and Florentino Perez don't deal this way. He was sold because of the demands the Ozil camp made.

He also has poor fatigue.

I didn't know that. Though I'm shocked that Arsenal were willing to meet demands when Real wouldn't, especially for a fan favourite.

azyless

I don't think there are any positives for them. Their manager is inept in all aspects of his job and is backed by the board that is seemingly only interested in money. They have made a terrible start and the confidence of their squad is completely shot. Their two best players don't want to stay and will be talking to new clubs in 4 months. They have a paper-thin squad which they didn't add to, and have Europa League games this year. Their fans are in open opposition to the management and the atmosphere at their stadium is toxic. A glut of new signings maybe could have turned this around, but big players don't want to play for them anymore.

There is absolutely no positive spin on this. I haven't seen a crisis like this at a big club since Liverpool back in 2010, and Leeds before that. This does not end well for them.
Well no I never said it was a positive, and I wasn't talking about anything else beyond this season's results.
But I think they still have the capacity to consistently beat the smaller teams to battle for 4th place. Specially if Liverpool doesn't progress from the past few years in that area and still regularly drops points to relegation teams.
They obviously won't be in the title race and their long term situation isn't looking good.

I think if you look at Arsenal's transfer window without the three games already played most people would say they had a pretty decent one.

They kept Sanchez and Ozil. They brought in Lacazette and a defender. They sold Oxlade-Chamberlain for almost £40m.

That's all good work.

Maybe now the transfer window is closed their players will buckle down and actually try.
It's not a good window any way you look at it. That Arsenal squad has more problems than a striker and a left back. Needs a quality centre back to partner (and eventually replace) Koscielny, a right back that can take Bellerin's place and a defensive midfielder. Could also do with a creative central midfielder to replace Santi (RIP) and a winger.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Well no I never said it was a positive, and I wasn't talking about anything else beyond this season's results.
But I think they still have the capacity to consistently beat the smaller teams to battle for 4th place. Specially if Liverpool doesn't progress from the past few years in that area and still regularly drops points to relegation teams.
They obviously won't be in the title race and their long term situation isn't looking good.

I see what you mean, they were always good at putting away the small teams, but I think their reputation has taken a serious hit and some of the smaller teams won't be as intimidated by them anymore. There is going to be a spotlight on them now aswell, the neutrals want to be entertained by a potential car crash of a season.

GHG

I see what you mean, they were always good at putting away the small teams, but I think their reputation has taken a serious hit and some of the smaller teams won't be as intimidated by them anymore.

Smaller teams haven't been intimidated by us for a few years now. They know exactly how we are going to play all the time. It's just that the difference is that the quality of our individual players comes through eventually.

When we win games these days it's rarely through a well thought out strategy coming to fruition.

Markitron

Smaller teams haven't been intimidated by us for a few years now. They know exactly how we are going to play all the time. It's just that the difference is that the quality of our individual players comes through eventually.

A situation that will be exacerbated this season I'm sure.

acohrs

think Chelsea's loan project and disregard for rotation and squads has finally come back to bite us in our own arses, can't even get mediocre players to want to be our subs anymore

"Individual players," more like "Sanchez."

If he doesn't perform this season then Arsenal are gonna die, and that could really go either way at this point. He never seemed like the kind of player who wouldn't always do his best whatever the circumstances, but now I'm not that sure.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't see how anything will change the lack of motivation and lack of structure that Arsenal has shown this season so far. Wenger surely doesn't seem capable of doing that. Arsenal players looked defeated even before last game started. A good transfer could have at least revitalised the team a bit. Or getting rid of Alexis when everybody knows he doesn't want to be there anymore.

That's all good work.

I was pretty pleased with the transfer window until it was revealed that there are several more players than just Sanchez who're openly discontent with being at Arsenal. You could say that they should just be professional and get on with it, but Arsene has reportedly shown that dislike to be mutual for certain players. Those players still being on our roster is good for no one. And this is only pertaining to players who might actually get a sniff of the first team out of necessity, like Mustafi. There are several senior players that Arsene has frozen out entirely and aren't worth discussing at this point, not for a lack of skill, but just a lack of favor.

Then there's the lineups Arsene is putting out. Sure, Arsenal have good players and they brought in two more good players, but the players we have don't seem to fit at all with the style that Wenger is determined to play. Both of those good new signings were on the bench for the last game, which is where this shitty week all started.

I don't see how anything will change the lack of motivation and lack of structure that Arsenal has shown this season so far. Wenger surely doesn't seem capable of doing that. Arsenal players looked defeated even before last game started. A good transfer could have at least revitalised the team a bit. Or getting rid of Alexis when everybody knows he doesn't want to be there anymore.

I think a lot of the reason the players looked defeated was just a complete confusion at the team selection. Like, why is the £60m striker benched? Why is the in-form (as much as you can be at this point) LB benched so a RB can play there, despite a string of poor performances. Etc.

Like, they looked defeated because the team selection basically meant they already were. They felt like they had nothing to play for. God knows how you fix that without firing Wenger, just hope he comes to his senses I guess.

Hey Footy Gaf,

I'm pretty happy with our squad tbh. It's our pathetic board, mentality and manager that are the real problem.

I'd take this squad over most in the PL given a competent manager.

Goalkeepers - Cech, Opsina

Defenders - Monreal, Mustafi, Kosicelny, Mertersacker, Bellerin, Holding, Kolasinic

Midfielders - Ramsey, Coquelin, Ozil, Elneny, Xhaka, Wilshere

Forwards - Lacazette, Alexis Sanchez, Giroud, Welbeck, Walcott

CrayToes

Ozil always seems to bear the brunt of the criticisms thrown at Arsenal and it always perplexes me. He's easily their second best player and often looks like the only one who can create chances. He's a totally different player when you watch him in real life rather than on MotD. Questions can be asked of his lack of effort at times but that can be said about 90% of that squad and in my opinion stems from Arsenal's blatant lack of leadership.

Jarnet87

Hey Footy Gaf,

I'm pretty happy with our squad tbh. It's our pathetic board, manager and mentality that are the real problem.

Defenders - Monreal, Mustafi, Kosicelny, Mertersacker, Bellerin, Holding, Kolasinic

Truth that it's not a bad squad. Arsene needs to get his head out of his ass and go back to a formation that works for him.If he wanted to disregard Europa league and domestic cups he could start a solid 11 with a couple good subs without much need for rotation.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hey Footy Gaf,

I'm pretty happy with our squad tbh. It's our pathetic board, mentality and manager that are the real problem.

I would say that the midfield is pretty poor. If Ozil doesn't turn on the magic you got nothing there. Xhaka hitting a screamer a couple of times per season doesn't compensate for the rest.

azyless

I think their midfield is awful tbh for a team that's supposed to be around the top of the table. Ozil is so inconsistent too.

Jarnet87

They should be starting Coquelin. He's not great but he is the best defensive midfielder they have IMO. Have to protect that midfield.

I would say that the midfield is pretty poor. If Ozil doesn't turn on the magic you got nothing there. Xhaka hitting a screamer a couple of times per season doesn't compensate for the rest.

Yeah I'd probably have to agree. That said Ramsey and Xhaka looked good in some big games at the back end of last season in this new-ish system (e.g the final). And I'm one of those fans that hasn't completely lost faith in Coquelin

Also think we'd be helped massively if we actually started our 5 best defenders in a game. Doubt I'l see that all season mind :)

Monreal - Koscielny - Mertersacker - Mustafi - Bellerin

Hurry up Man City v Liverpool can't be doing with this international break. Finally a game for City where the opposition wont park the bus and will test the defence and keeper out. Fully expect Liverpool to win like they usually do but thats fine as I class them as two of the eight write-off games. Always entertaining though.

Really? Over what Chelsea, Tottenham, City and United have! Only players in that team I rate are Lacazette & Sanchez. When Arsenal had Arteta, Cazorla, Ozil (needs the other two to cover him) and Sanchez all playing together regularly that was the last time the squad was decent.

Hurry up Man City v Liverpool can't be doing with this international break. Finally a game for City where the opposition wont park the bus and will test the defence and keeper out. Fully expect Liverpool to win like they usually do but thats fine as I class them as two of the eight write-off games. Always entertaining though.

The question is, will big Phil play or will his back suddenly be injured again after the international break?

Really? Over what Chelsea, Tottenham, City and United have! Only players in that team I rate are Lacazette & Sanchez. When Arsenal had Arteta, Cazorla, Ozil (needs the other two to cover him) and Sanchez all playing together regularly that was the last time the squad was decent.

LOL no way

Arteta was awful. Cazorla - Coquelin were a million miles better

CrayToes

The question is, will big Phil play or will his back suddenly be injured again after the international break?

I would go with the exact same team that beat Arsenal but bring in Migs and TAA for Karius and Gomez. I would probably put Milner at left back too because Moreno has had nightmares at the Etihad in the past against lesser City teams.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

That's because Liverpool's bus looks like this:

24973571-Abandoned-bus-in-the-desert-Atacama-Chile-Bolivia-Stock-Photo-bus.jpg

LOL no way

Arteta was awful. Cazorla - Coquelin were a million miles better

Arteta dictated the pace of Arsenal and gave stability and leadership in the middle with an excellent passing range that allowed them to play the long ball game they did back then. Something they do not have any more and severely lack.

Markitron

Truth that it's not a bad squad. Arsene needs to get his head out of his ass and go back to a formation that works for him.If he wanted to disregard Europa league and domestic cups he could start a solid 11 with a couple good subs without much need for rotation.

I think that would be a mistake, the Europa League is likely their best way back into the Champions League. If they qualify next year they will be able to attract a higher caliber of player, assuming they get a new manager. I think they should disregard the domestic cups and go all out on the EL. As it stands they are probably second favourites behind Spurs, who are just terrible in European football.

Arteta dictated the pace of Arsenal and gave stability and leadership in the middle with an excellent passing range that allowed them to play the long ball game they did back then. Something they do not have any more and severely lack.

Yeahh.. Arteta was a defensive liability. And spent most of his time passing sideways like he was trying to emulate Denilson. Agree to disagree

Ozil always seems to bear the brunt of the criticisms thrown at Arsenal and it always perplexes me. He's easily their second best player and often looks like the only one who can create chances. He's a totally different player when you watch him in real life rather than on MotD. Questions can be asked of his lack of effort at times but that can be said about 90% of that squad and in my opinion stems from Arsenal's blatant lack of leadership.

Ozil gets criticised because he does fuck all for the team defensive-wise. He's not a player that really pressures the defence or gets in a challenge.

TimmmV

Same, on the one hand I can totally sympathise with them because whats happening atm sucks, but on the other hand the bants are pretty funny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's hard to know how they can get out of it too, with how toxic the whole atmosphere around the club is too - with Liverpool its taken a few years, a complete change of ownership, and multiple changes of managers to even come close to recovering to where the club was under Rafa. And with how much Arsenal will be valued at, I really don't know who is going to be buying them

Edit: Troopz is mad again, https://youtu.be/G-Wp7gudgXs

Markitron

This is an interesting short story on Barca's pursuit of Coutinho, stuff in here I had no idea about. Would highly recommend giving it a read:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...rcelona-pep-segura-john-w-henry-a7923351.html

It's hard to know how they can get out of it too, with how toxic the whole atmosphere around the club is too - with Liverpool its taken a few years, a complete change of ownership, and multiple changes of managers to even come close to recovering to where the club was under Rafa. And with how much Arsenal will be valued at, I really don't know who is going to be buying them

Yea right now Liverpool are the most stable they have been since 2008 maybe. The last decade has been a total shitshow.

Markitron

The bit about Pep Segura sums up Rodgers perfectly - let his ego get in the way of working underneath other people, and got rid of someone who good with player scouting and development

Exactly. I wasn't aware of that situation and wasn't surprised at all. His ego is always going to catch up to him. I don't blame Segura for holding a grudge.

Floody

Hey Footy Gaf,

If Wenger can motivate them, they'll still challenge the top 4/challenge for EL (depends what they prioritize). I think it's getting overblown how bad they are. Only midfield looks weak really.
The problem is current Wenger gets great players playing good, whereas Klopp, Conte, Pep, Mou and more can get good players playing great.

TimmmV

Exactly. I wasn't aware of that situation and wasn't surprised at all. His ego is always going to catch up to him. I don't blame Segura for holding a grudge.

Just cutting him off sounds like a really shitty way to deal with the issue from FSG's end too tbf to Rodgers.

But still, Rodgers should have been fine working with a director of football.

On another note, I just came across this Troopz video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOBNcxrr0ys, its amazing how positive he is in this one vs how broken he is now after just 3 games :lol

CrayToes

Ozil gets criticised because he does fuck all for the team defensive-wise. He's not a player that really pressures the defence or gets in a challenge.
I mean, an attacking midfielder being poor defensively isn't exactly a strange phenomenon. It's Arsenal's job to incorporate him properly and play to his strengths. It's absolutely fine to have a player that doesn't put in a defensive shift if you make up for it elsewhere.

Yeahh.. Arteta was a defensive liability. And spent most of his time passing sideways like he was trying to emulate Denilson. Agree to disagree

This must be the tenth time I have heard this about players passing sideways on this board. Passing sideways is basic football to give the team advantage over the opposition, you get taught this in any half decent youth team beyond the basic level. If your in the centre of the park and there is no forward pass you don't hold on and draw the tackle potentially causing a counter you pass to the wings or half space to see if there are holes in the oppositions formation. You then move to a different position so you can hopefully play it forward, a long ball or to the other side for them to have a go. Also if they are passing sideways to a winger it is he winger that is in the wrong position, i.e. see Martial from last weekend against Leicester.

Any perceived weakness in Arteta being a defensive liability is down to Wengers poor tactics (same reason Toure looked a liability under Pellegrini). Arteta at Everton is one of two players I have ever seen that could keep Ronaldo comfortably in their pocket and could put in some amazing defensive shifts.

slider

think Chelsea's loan project and disregard for rotation and squads has finally come back to bite us in our own arses, can't even get mediocre players to want to be our subs anymore

It didn't make much sense to me. But it'd gone on that long I thought the power and lure of being at the top table would never end.

Assuming that's the reason there wasn't much through the door (at the end of the window as per Conte's reported requests).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom