• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
This must be the tenth time I have heard this about players passing sideways on this board. Passing sideways is basic football to give the team advantage over the opposition, you get taught this in any half decent youth team beyond the basic level. If your in the centre of the park and there is no forward pass you don't hold on and draw the tackle potentially causing a counter you pass to the wings or half space to see if there are holes in the oppositions formation. You then move to a different position so you can hopefully play it forward, a long ball or to the other side for them to have a go. Also if they are passing sideways to a winger it is he winger that is in the wrong position, i.e. see Martial from last weekend against Leicester.

Any perceived weakness in Arteta being a defensive liability is down to Wengers poor tactics (same reason Toure looked a liability under Pellegrini). Arteta at Everton is one of two players I have ever seen that could keep Ronaldo comfortably in their pocket and could put in some amazing defensive shifts.

When I watched him play he regularly took the safe option rather than passing the ball forward. Our current players do this too so maybe that's on Wenger.He was a defensive liability because he was slow/weak as shit and paying as our defensive midfielder. I'ts not percieved anything, he was. Regardless of the reasons why

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
16 years to the date when Liverpoo- I mean England beat Germany 5-1. Even Heskey scored!

I remember being gutted when I saw that result, until I saw who the scorers were! Went to see Dog Soldiers in the cinema the year after and pissed myself laughing when they referenced it in the final credits.

When I watched him play he regularly took the safe option rather than passing the ball forward. Our current players do this too so maybe that's on Wenger. No he was defensive liability because he was slow as shit.

You can only pass to who is available and when teams primarily play defensive waiting to counter the safe option is the right option though it will bore certain fans. Being slow is the same reason Toure was seen as a defensive liability under Pellegrini yet last year under Pep Toure had zero problems because he was never exposed. Wenger and Pellegrini even though they play different styles of football they both set up their centre mid and wing backs in a similar way, this often resulted in a player with pace sitting just off them as its easier for them to run off a centre mid than it is a centre back then easily escape them with pace, knowing the wing backs would be high and that when they hit the centre backs they would have passing options available.

T43jKcj.jpg

Fuck this game.

You can only pass to who is available and when teams primarily play defensive waiting to counter the safe option is the right option though it might bore certain fans. Being slow is the same reason Toure was seen as a defensive liability under Pellegrini yet last year under Pep Toure had zero problems because he was never exposed. Wenger and Pellegrini even though they play different styles of football they both set up their centre mid and wing backs in a similar way, this often resulted in a player with pace sitting just off them as its easier for them to run off a centre mid than it is a centre back then easily escape them with pace, knowing the wing backs would be high and that when they hit the centre backs they would have passing options available.

Regardless of the ifs buts and why's, he was a defensive liability. If you just want me to admit that it wasn't his fault fine lol it wasn't his fault. Pretty sure I said that every time I saw him ripped to shreds anyway...

TimmmV

Is that the standard in the UK yea?

I think the fine is usually related to the persons income? Don't think normal people would be getting fined £20k. A long driving ban is pretty normal though. After you're allowed to drive again, it will cost an arm and a leg to get any kind of driving insurance too

Addnan

Is that the standard in the UK yea?
Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink

You may get:
6 months’ imprisonment
an unlimited fine
a driving ban for at least 1 year (3 years if convicted twice in 10 years)

Hurting/killing a person while drunk driving is a different story

Weren't the CM leaders cunts? That's why loads of staff left and made their own company and made Football Manager?

I think it was just that a contract ended and SI and the pub went their separate ways. SI kept the tech, pub kept the CM name.

edit: Oh, according to the SI wiki page, SI thought that Eidos was planning on replacing them with a different developer.

T-Rex.

Banned
SPORT have lost their fucking minds lolol.
Yes, they are saying one of those could be a surprise signing by Barcelona today if the Coutinho deal doesn't happen, the article even mentions Isco...

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/golpe-ultima-hora-que-puede-dar-barca-mercado-espanol-6258225
Apparently they want to get rid of the president or something? That's why they were releasing stories saying Coutinho was "hours away" and all that bollocks cos they wanted to make him and the board look bad.

Beefy

I think it was just that a contract ended and SI and the pub went their separate ways. SI kept the tech, pub kept the CM name.

edit: Oh, according to the SI wiki page, SI thought that Eidos was planning on replacing them with a different developer.

I swear I heard some shit about Eidos and a couple of the SI high ups being cunts. I will look it up when I can be assed.

Cappa

Banned
hahahhhahhahaahhahahahaha apparently Coutinho to Barcelona is 100% not happening!!!!!

The name sounding strongest in the last few hours is
Dani Parejo
jajajajajajaj

I think if you look at Arsenal's transfer window without the three games already played most people would say they had a pretty decent one.

They kept Sanchez and Ozil. They brought in Lacazette and a defender. They sold Oxlade-Chamberlain for almost £40m.

That's all good work.

Maybe now the transfer window is closed their players will buckle down and actually try.

No, no they didn't, regardless of the three games.

Lacazette really doesn't count; was basically a done deal a long time ago.

This transfer window for Arsenal was absolutely disastrous, which is also why it has been ranked near the bottom by all the sports sites.

Fuck everyone in power at this club. I hope they all have heart attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom