• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Viva, what did you think of Welbeck?

IMO he has talent but he's so frustratingly wasteful in front of goal.
He was okay.

I haven't seen Danny live many times so I was super impressed by his work rate today, genuinely runs tirelessly and chases after everything. It's brilliant to see and the fans love it.

But yes, he's wasteful as hell. One aspect of his game which is really under rated though is his link up. He finds players around him under pressure and in tight spaces and keeps things ticking over. But when it comes upon him to shoot or deliver that final ball he is unfortunately way too sloppy.

Sympathise with him though, today was maybe the second time he's played up front all season.

Bo-Locks

Kagawa had a 97% pass completion rate over 65 minutes today and there was a noticeable drop in performance when he became tired and was subbed, at least until Scholes came on. First clean sheet in the league since West Ham, thanks to Vidic. Valencia was better but still needs to improve. If Vidic can stay fit then I think we can stop conceding so many goals, build up some momentum in the league and beat Madrid. PL and CL hopes really do rest on him remaining fit.

Kagawa had a 97% pass completion rate over 65 minutes today and there was a noticeable drop in performance when he became tired and was subbed, at least until Scholes came on. First clean sheet in the league since West Ham, thanks to Vidic. Valencia was better but still needs to improve. If Vidic can stay fit then I think we can stop conceding so many goals, build up some momentum in the league and beat Madrid. PL and CL hopes really do rest on him remaining fit.

You'll win the PL regardless

Bo-Locks

You'll win the PL regardless

I don't think so. Conceding so many goals will eventually come back to bite you in the ass. If we had Vidic fit for the entirety of last season then I think we would have won number 20, and the same is true this year, even though City have weakened and United have strengthened.

Welbeck is a bit of an enigma to me. Last season he looked menacing upfront, albeit mostly when in tandem with Rooney, but this season I've never felt he's gonna score when he has had the ball. I'd say that he'll make for a better winger but as far as I can tell his crossing isn't good enough, even though he is decent at linking-up in the final third. His dribbling is good but also clumsy at times. But he is a tireless worker for the team.

I don't know where and when exactly United need to utilize him. It just doesn't seem to be his season at the moment, as much as I like the guy.

Lightning

Banned
Lol at Pardew using the fact we didn't play on Boxing Day and says against Everton at least they'll be on an even playing field. What a tosser... Should give credit where credit is due.

Sad but true.
And to think it could have been Chelsea instead of Juve in that position.

Plasma

Banned
Good performance in the second half going forward, some very nice goals as well I'll have to watch MOTD tonight. Not sure what Gibbs was doing for Newcastle's two goals in the second half though, failed to pick up his man twice.

Nice to see Theo grab a hat trick, now please Arsene sign him up.

Lightning

Banned
Good performance in the second half going forward, some very nice goals as well I'll have to watch MOTD tonight. Not sure what Gibbs was doing for Newcastle's two goals in the second half though, failed to pick up his man twice.

Nice to see Theo grab a hat trick, now please Arsene sign him up.
How was the chanting for Theo to sign a deal?

So, was it a case of Arsenal being that good or Newcastle being that bad?
I'm itching to know; my Newcastle friends have become reclusive lately.

Kyoufu

So, was it a case of Arsenal being that good or Newcastle being that bad?
I'm itching to know; my Newcastle friends have become reclusive lately.

We dominated the first half. Then the 2nd half was an end to end affair, bad defending on both sides which lead to a 3-3 score then we just gave up and leaked 4 goals.

TeegsD

Stopped watching the Sporting game at half time because it was completely uninspired and we were already down to 10 men cause of a stupid expulsion. Looks like we lost 3-0 against fucking Rio Ave. How much further can we possible fall? In fact, now the B team has been in a slump too. This whole organization is in shambles.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Who do Juve play in the CL?
3rci5.jpg

Sage, how is Victor doing?
Whole team has wound down a bit after we took a 9 point lead in the league, but Victor is still ticking along.. refusing to sign that contract extension. Gulp.

Some championship level team from Scotland that Barca underperformed against.
I thought we were League 1 level. Good to see our estimation rising.

We dominated the first half. Then the 2nd half was an end to end affair, bad defending on both sides which lead to a 3-3 score then we just gave up and leaked 4 goals.

Might have to DL this game then. Who do you play next? Trouble with these Xmas games is that you have little time to recover from such defeats. Villa's results are evidence of that.

Bit of both. The defending from Newcastle was very poor but our finishing was quite good and we some of our goals very nicely.

Was Giroud impressive today? I'd like him to do well, always liked him. Walcott has definitely impressed me this season, never thought he'd have 10+ goals before the New Year. Though for some reason I have my nagging doubts about him.

After the Newcastle game I'd actually be glad if we could sell Sagna for good money and make Jenkinson first choice, promote Bellerin to second choice. Since he doesn't offer much offensively his main positive aspect was supposed to be his defending but he looked past it today. Sagna was absolutely horrid, he was largely at fault for the first two goals. At least with Gibbs he made up for his kamikaze defending with great offensive contributions.

I'd hate to think what Ribbery is going to do to him...

Lightning

Banned
Was Giroud impressive today? I'd like him to do well, always liked him. Walcott has definitely impressed me this season, never thought he'd have 10+ goals before the New Year. Though for some reason I have my nagging doubts about him.
Giroud didn't play long but took his goals well and could have had a hat trick so played his part today very nicely but he came on fresh when Newcastle were very tired so he took advantage nicely of that.

Wenger had a wry smile on when asked about news on Walcott's contract. What does it mean!?
Doesn't mean anything. I hope Theo signs but honestly why would he? He will get more money, trophies by going to Chelsea or United. The only incentive that we have to offer him is that he will get noticed more with us and more chances upfront but whether that's enough for him I don't think so.

Clegg

Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan
Just spoke to young Mr Walcott (still clutching the matchball) - and I'd say he's staying. #Arsenal

Can't wait for his inevitable meltdown when Theo leaves.

Kyoufu

Lol at Pardew using the fact we didn't play on Boxing Day and says against Everton at least they'll be on an even playing field. What a tosser... Should give credit where credit is due.

Giroud didn't play long but took his goals well and could have had a hat trick so played his part today very nicely but he came on fresh when Newcastle were very tired so he took advantage nicely of that.

I smell contradiction sir.

Plasma

Banned
Just spoke to young Mr Walcott (still clutching the matchball) - and I'd say he's staying. #Arsenal

Why is that "man" allowed anywhere near the club with the amount of crap he talks.

I hope Theo leaves just to cause that fucker a hear attack.

Lightning

Banned
I smell contradiction sir.
What contradiction is that? Newcastle were tired? Giroud hasn't played for a while for us. Didn't play against Bradford, Reading or Wigan so of course Giroud will be fresh.

Cazorla, Arteta etc play every week and they weren't moaning about tired. West Ham didnt play on Boxing Day either while Reading did and how did that game go again?

Top Bottom