• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Fady K

I think you'll get very close to the top spot by the end of the season, Pep will turn down Abramovich's distrubing approaches in the summer, and Rafa will end up staying next season. I'd love to see how far he'd take you guys in the Champions League.

I'm kind of glad that Abramovich is running out of coaching options. I'd like him to keep Rafa for a while. Doubt he'll be getting Mourinho, or Pep especially. I'd love to see what he can do. I never got to see Liverpool much when he coached them, but it is nice to see unanimous love for a former manager by the liverpool fans.

Yah, U:GA is really good. Lots of features were shoehorned into that game just cos though.

True! They are shoehorned for no reason but I actually like the variety though to be honest. Especially where you had to place your Vita near a source of bright light to read a message. That was awesome haha.

Seeing as this worked last time....

Who wants to buy me Far Cry 3 :p

Why didn't you ask your loved ones to get it for you on Christmas :p?

I'm kind of glad that Abramovich is running out of coaching options. I'd like him to keep Rafa for a while. Doubt he'll be getting Mourinho, or Pep especially. I'd love to see what he can do. I never got to see Liverpool much when he coached them, but it is nice to see unanimous love for a former manager by the liverpool fans.

Its not unanimous. It should be, but its not :(

Remember when WoodenLung said Debuchy isn't coming to Newcastle and laughed at me when I said Cabaye is the reason and NOT money?

He waved his Chelski plastic at me and laughed.

Yeah what now son? What now?

Huh, I only remember laughing at you saying he wouldn't go to Chelsea if they actually made an offer. Chelsea were clearly never interested enough in him, he showed well enough for the national team that he isn't good enough for the top level, ended up going with a younger and more promising option.

HERP DERP

Cabaye did. Ben Arfa did. Debuchy is.

With all respect to those players, they are not in the same boat as Sakho, who way bigger clubs will be in for. hell Ben Arfa was a problem child who wanted away, seen Marseilles supporters booh him myself against Copenhagen myself, lol. He might have turned out good for you but I think most people saw him as a bit of a gamble with his personality. Way bigger clubs will be in for Sakho.

Arnie

He's an absolutely excellent coach, and a top man. He loved the city, the supporters, and the club. He understood what being a Liverpool manager meant and he still attends Hillsborough memorials and so forth. Will always defend the city and its people, and his family still live in their family home on the Wirral.

If the Rodgers project really doesn't work out over the next couple of years, we'd be mad not to capitalise on this connection and get him back. We're no longer a top class club on the football pitch, but Rafa is a top class manager.

Fady K

Another thing I like about Rafa (though it may sound odd) is that he doesn't celebrate after his team scores. He is so chilled out haha.

Maybe unanimous was stretching it a bit, but why would any LFC fan from back then not have liked Rafa?

Some of our fans are idiots. They think he left the team in a worse state than it was in when he arrived, and basically harmed the club by playing politics with Hicks & Gillette. Also boring, defensive football was thrown at him and people though he was terrible in the transfer market

edit: Ha, Arnie, I was gonna ask earlier what the 'pool fans here thought of the hypothesis of Rodgers & us finishing bottom-half at the end of the season and Rafa being available. Would you sack him and get Rafa in, or carry on with the project?

Yen

Maybe unanimous was stretching it a bit, but why would any LFC fan from back then not have liked Rafa?
Inexplicably, back when Liverpool were doing great under Benitez, there was a vocal minority who wanted him gone. Unfortunately, this also included those calling the shots at Liverpool, so when he had one bad season, that was that for Rafa.

Kyoufu

With all respect to those players, they are not in the same boat as Sakho, who way bigger clubs will be in for. hell Ben Arfa was a problem child who wanted away, seen Marseilles supporters booh him myself against Copenhagen myself, lol. He might have turned out good for you but I think most people saw him as a bit of a gamble with his personality.

Really? Debuchy was just named in L'Equipe's best XI of 2012, along with Hazard, Ibra etc. Not good enough I guess.

Fady K

He's an absolutely excellent coach, and a top man. He loved the city, the supporters, and the club. He understood what being a Liverpool manager meant and he still attends Hillsborough memorials and so forth. Will always defend the city and its people, and his family still live in their family home on the Wirral.

If the Rodgers project really doesn't work out over the next couple of years, we'd be mad not to capitalise on this connection and get him back. We're no longer a top class club on the football pitch, but Rafa is a top class manager.

I only recently read about the Hillsborough stuff that he contributed to, very respectful of him. I must admit that I feel lucky to have a decent manager like him at the moment; other than Mourinho or Guardiola I honestly don't know who else I'd pick above Rafa.

I think Rodgers can do a lot of damage in the long run; I expect he will have a better second season than Kenny did; as he was able to put Swansea on the map again, I expect he will improve Liverpool's fortunes. If Sturridge joins as well and he utilizes him well, and with a possibly improved Carroll and return of Borini eventually things should be looking up soon.

Timurid

Remember when WoodenLung said Debuchy isn't coming to Newcastle and laughed at me when I said Cabaye is the reason and NOT money?

He waved his Chelski plastic at me and laughed.

Yeah what now son? What now?

Sakho will NEVER leave PSG for any club! He is a one club player and he will be their future captain.

I only recently read about the Hillsborough stuff that he contributed to, very respectful of him. I must admit that I feel lucky to have a decent manager like him at the moment; other than Mourinho or Guardiola I honestly don't know who else I'd pick above Rafa.

I think Rodgers can do a lot of damage in the long run; I expect he will have a better second season than Kenny did; as he was able to put Swansea on the map again, I expect he will improve Liverpool's fortunes. If Sturridge joins as well and he utilizes him well, and with a possibly improved Carroll and return of Borini eventually things should be looking up soon.

Carroll's not coming back. West Ham won't want him, but hopefully the rumours are true about them being forced to buy him if they stay up

Fady K

Some of our fans are idiots. They think he left the team in a worse state than it was in when he arrived, and basically harmed the club by playing politics with Hicks & Gillette. Also boring, defensive football was thrown at him and people though he was terrible in the transfer market

edit: Ha, Arnie, I was gonna ask earlier what the 'pool fans here thought of the hypothesis of Rodgers & us finishing bottom-half at the end of the season and Rafa being available. Would you sack him and get Rafa in, or carry on with the project?

That's a shame to hear. It sucks for him that his final season did not end well thanks to the internal political conflicts at the club. I was afraid of the whole boring defensive football when he first joined CFC, though recent games have provided some great attacking attempts. Didn't he also bring it countless brilliant LFC players?

Inexplicably, back when Liverpool were doing great under Benitez, there was a vocal minority who wanted him gone. Unfortunately, this also included those calling the shots at Liverpool, so when he had one bad season, that was that for Rafa.

That is how I felt it was with Di Matteo, I feel like he was unwanted unfortunately and the moment a bad run was in effect he was kicked out.

Fady K

Carroll's not coming back. West Ham won't want him, but hopefully the rumours are true about them being forced to buy him if they stay up

I thought he was improving dramatically at LFC by the end of the season. In comparison to the start of his LFC career at least.

Kyoufu

Sakho will NEVER leave PSG for any club! He is a one club player and he will be their future captain.

That's the point I was originally making with Wooden. Loyalty exists and not every player is out for money.

It's a shame that doesn't apply to Ba but oh well.

Hixx

Steve Bruce wants to sign Elmo, Campbell and Meyler on permanent transfers

Yes please, Bruce. £5m job lot off they trot.

3Sixty

Van Gerwen just did a 9-darter. And missed one dart to do it two legs in a row. Dunno if you know much about darts, but that is fucking insane.

Nice. I normally watch the big tourney's but NFL is on.

Why are you Dutchies so into Darts btw?

Van Gerwen just did a 9-darter. And missed one dart to do it two legs in a row. Dunno if you know much about darts, but that is fucking insane.

I actually know what that is! That's pretty incredible. I don't watch darts though. Darts is the Nascar of the UK.

La Liga team of the season so far..

-----------------Valdes---------------
----------------------------------------
Adriano----Pique----Puyol----Alba--
---------------Busquets---------------
------------Xavi-----Fabregas--------
-----------------Messi-----------------
-Pedro------------------------Iniesta-

Or less seriously.....introducing the 3-2-2-1-1-1

-----------------Casillas--------------
Adriano---------Ramos---------Alba
--------------Xavi-----Isco------------
-------Fabregas-------Iniesta-------- (This team is hideously unbalanced, so no Busquets)
-----------------Messi-----------------
-------------------------------Ronaldo
-----------------Falcao----------------

:p

Arnie

Nope, I want to see Rodgers given two seasons at least.

You'll never build a team up in less, and to expect so is nonsense. Sure, it'd be great to have Rafa back, and I hope that happens eventually, at some point down the line, but Rodgers deserves a fair chance. Performance wise we've looked very good this season, but been undone by a thin squad and some misfortune. Not only that but our mentality's poor, thus making us inconsistent.

We might look it but we aren't a million miles away from the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, I'm sure of it.
I thought he was improving dramatically at LFC by the end of the season. In comparison to the start of his LFC career at least.
He might've improved slightly but he's still not a Liverpool player.

I don't want him back, and getting him out the door was a massive weight off our shoulders. Every time the team struggled to score in a game, or a cross sails over Suarez's head, you'd have the calls to throw him on, and he's a frustratingly incapable player.

Praying that we get the £17 million from West Ham, literally on my knees praying.

That's a shame to hear. It sucks for him that his final season did not end well thanks to the internal political conflicts at the club. I was afraid of the whole boring defensive football when he first joined CFC, though recent games have provided some great attacking attempts. Didn't he also bring it countless brilliant LFC players?

If there's one word I'd describe Rafa's tactics with, its 'systematic.' The formation is the same every week. Only the player behind the striker has real freedom. If there's a hole in the other team, it will be exploited, even if it means taking focus away from the star players. If there's a hole in the team when the other team has the ball, it will be plugged. Wingers have to defend, fullbacks have to attack, centre backs have to be positionally sound, midfielders have to mark, pressure, tackle, pass and keep play ticking over. There is no room for anonymity and indiscipline. Players have to get used to being rotated, so expect a few whinges from idiots when he leaves, as we got from Benayoun and Crouch

He bought Garcia, Alonso, Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Aurelio, Kuyt, Torres, Arbeloa, Johnson, Mascherano and Benayoun, as well as turning Carragher into a brilliant CB. They're good enough for me :D

I wanted him to stay around, but Rodgers just doesn't fancy him, and is unwilling to sacrifice his tactics to see if it could have worked out. I liked him for reasons I can't explain :D

Linius

Nice. I normally watch the big tourney's but NFL is on.

Why are you Dutchies so into Darts btw?

I guess Barney made it popular by dominating lakeside in the old days. But BDO is pretty much shit these days. PDC is where it's at and we're still there luckily. I used to play small local tourneys my self for some years. It's quite relaxing.

I actually know what that is! That's pretty incredible. I don't watch darts though. Darts is the Nascar of the UK.

I don't get the Nascar reference I'm afraid. But I guess you think it's boring to watch, which I totally get :p

Arnie

He bought Garcia, Alonso, Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Aurelio, Kuyt, Torres, Arbeloa, Johnson, Mascherano and Benayoun, as well as turning Carragher into a brilliant CB. They're good enough for me :D

He also bought Shelvey and Suso.

The Legacy Lives On.

GT is so boring. :/

Fixed.

Does he actually manage a club or is he just wandering around somewhere mumbling about players he'd like to sign?
He manages Hull.

A step down, but not a step too far. I'd like him to plummet further.

Wilbur

Banned
I never understood the negative football complaints thrown at Benitez and Mourinho. There's a difference between efficiency and solidity, and boring football.

Top Bottom