• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Linius

I think that was the best £42.00 I have ever spent at Blockbuster and CEX.

Max Payne 3 - xbox 360
ICO & SoTC HD
Dark Knight Rises
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

The movies are all BR too.

Big thumbs up for you. Great movie.

3Sixty

Liverpool have offered Serie A side Cagliari £7m for defending's Davide Astori, according to the Daily Mail, but as things stand look likely to miss out on the 25-year-old because Southampton have outbid them. The same paper reports that Manchester City have offered Napoli £45m for Uruguayan adonis Edinson Cavani; only time will tell whether or not the Premier League champions' bid is torpedoed by a superior offer from the south coast club.

Guardian lols

Arnie

Rodgers' crap PR script about how "Luis is a great family man" is the embarrassing bit.

Give it a fucking rest.

Why, because it contrasts against your preordained view that Suarez is a bad person?

Liverpool have offered Serie A side Cagliari £7m for defending's Davide Astori, according to the Daily Mail, but as things stand look likely to miss out on the 25-year-old because Southampton have outbid them. The same paper reports that Manchester City have offered Napoli £45m for Uruguayan adonis Edinson Cavani; only time will tell whether or not the Premier League champions' bid is torpedoed by a superior offer from the south coast club.

Guardian lols
I think you're getting a real player, there. Admittedly, my opinion of him is formed solely from FM12, but he's a beast on it. I fought for(and lost) his signature with a friend during a network game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Guardian lols

Cagliari are in financial trouble, they'll bite anything you throw their way.

45m is not enough for Cavani, they've already rejected a 50-something bid not that long ago.

Salazar

Why, because it contrasts against your preordained view that Suarez is a bad person?

lol "preordained".

"He has a wife and child and he loves them" is tedious, desperate PR. It's fine for a newspaper supplement puff piece, but a manager bringing it up in an interview is risible.

"bad person" ? I think he's a dirty footballer, an opportunist to excess, and a pretty incorrigible wind-up merchant. This doesn't encompass the whole of his character, so fair play to him, and he's far, far from the worst the league has seen. Folks I really would call bad people.

Done with it, though. Back to the league, at least until our doomed replay with W.Ham.

dc89

lol "preordained".

"He has a wife and child and he loves them" is tedious, desperate PR. It's fine for a newspaper supplement puff piece, but a manager bringing it up in an interview is risible.

"bad person" ? I think he's a dirty footballer, an opportunist to excess, and a pretty incorrigible wind-up merchant. This doesn't encompass the whole of his character, so fair play to him.

Are you qualified to make this kind of statement? I'm the PR Exec here.

3Sixty

I think you're getting a real player, there. Admittedly, my opinion of him is formed solely from FM12, but he's a beast on it. I fought for(and lost) his signature with a friend during a network game.

I hope so, the longer it goes on im worried about Liverpool (If they are really actually interested) or Milan jumping in.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
LTTP:

Pulp Fiction ★★★★/★★★★
IB, RD ★★★
JB ★★.5
KB1&2 ★★
DP -★

Marotta on Drogba “You always make enquiries for players and we have done, we have noted his availability, but now we will have to verify whether he would be compatible with our finances. Then we’d speak to boss Antonio Conte.”

"Then we'd speak to Conte"

Then

How about speak before you bid/make enquiries you twat.
irQ7p8wqorgQd.gif

Suarez being a good family man has nothing to do with him as a footballer.

One of the worst cliches in football.

Fair enough if people are passing their judgement on him as a human being but I don't think that's what happened yesterday.

GorillaJu

Fair enough if people are passing their judgement on him as a human being but I don't think that's what happened yesterday.

It's because he's constantly under attack on his character. If it were simply an issue of him being or not being a bad footballer, it'd be different.

Arnie

lol "preordained".

I'd agree it's clearly intended as PR fluff, but when Suarez is, and has been, the target of cynical, and wholly unprofessional character judgements from people employed to write and discuss football, it seems par for the course.

Suarez's character is always referenced by those quick to call him a villain, or an inherently bad guy off the field, so I think it's only fair for his manager, the one man employed to make judgements about his character, to offer his opinion as readily as everyone else.

I hope so, the longer it goes on im worried about Liverpool (If they are really actually interested) or Milan jumping in.
From what informed sources, such as The Times, have said we're interested in loaning out Coates, and signing young French centre back Nicolas Isimat-Mirin from Valenciennes. I don't think we'd pursue Astori as well, but I trust our interest in Mirin is genuine.

I do question the merits of loaning out one young central defender, and signing another, but perhaps Rodgers thinks Mirin is more able to play in our current system, whereas Coates is less suitable as both the team, and he stands.

90% of the things written about Suarez, from professionals and fans alike, have nothing to do with him as a footballer.

*pulled those figures from my anus

It's because he's constantly under attack on his character. If it were simply an issue of him being or not being a bad footballer, it'd be different.
I get why Rodgers is saying it, I just find it tedious. You even hear it when mangers are simply praising their players for a good performance, stuff like "and now he'll go home and spend time with his kids".

Find it grating.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't get it. So what if Suarez was a villain? He's still a fantastic player.

Giggs is one of the nicest on the pitch but does that make him a good guy?

Mou is a family man but he's an absolute cunt when it comes to football.

GorillaJu

I get why Rodgers is saying it, I just find it tedious. You even hear it when mangers are simply praising their players for a good performance, stuff like "and now he'll go home and spend time with his kids".

Find it grating.

The worst I can say is that it garners the occasional eye-roll from me, but I've always thought it's just an element of man-management. Getting the player's name out and congratulating (or reprimanding) them in public can have a heavy psychological effect.

Playing FM ATM, and am Liverpool.

First game in the PL is against Fulham.

6-0 :lol

Suarez scores a hat-trick. Sterling gets one, and their keeper lets in a own goal. Also Johnson scored a pen for some reason :lol

Fady K

Seeing CFC next season without Lampard...this is going to suck big time. I love the player so much. Love his attitude on and off the pitch. Irreplaceable for the team. Now I can only imagine the pain of long-time MUFC fans who will see Ferguson leave in the near future. It is heartbreaking.

I don't get it. So what if Suarez was a villain? He's still a fantastic player.

Giggs is one of the nicest on the pitch but does that make him a good guy?

Mou is a family man but he's an absolute cunt when it comes to football.
Exactly this.

Suarez may well love his kids. Has nothing to do with his tendency to dive or kick people etc.

Anyways as I said I know why it comes up, just find it stupid.

The worst I can say is that it garners the occasional eye-roll from me, but I've always thought it's just an element of man-management. Getting the player's name out and congratulating (or reprimanding) them in public can have a heavy psychological effect.
Yeah fair point that.

Seeing CFC next season without Lampard...this is going to suck big time. I love the player so much. Love his attitude on and off the pitch. Irreplaceable for the team.Now I can only imagine the pain of long-time MUFC fans who will see Ferguson leave in the near future.It is heartbreaking.

Yeah but Frogson is almost unbearable at this point. Can't wait to see the back of that
genius
cunt.

snoopen

Terry is a great family man but a poor player.

Arnie

Seeing CFC next season without Lampard...this is going to suck big time. I love the player so much. Love his attitude on and off the pitch. Irreplaceable for the team. Now I can only imagine the pain of long-time MUFC fans who will see Ferguson leave in the near future. It is heartbreaking.

I know it appears now like a bad move, and I do think Chelsea should offer him a new, much revised contract, but if you sign the likes of Isco, or hell, a cut price Modric to replace him then I don't think the disappointment will rear its head next season.

It's romantic to want your most loyal servants to stay on, but there comes a point when clubs and players have to move on. Lampard definitely still offers something to the team, but we don't know if he wants to play more than he does now, and if the management team want him to play less.

Like I say, I think as it stands it looks like a bad move because of your clear lack of creativity in the centre. Bring in a top talent in that department, and the allure of Frank Lampard as a playing figure might recede.

It's nice to want him around as an experienced head, but perhaps he wants to be seen as more than that. We saw his frustration during AVB's tenure, perhaps he wants to still play every game.

Arnie

What a fucking gorp.

I wouldn't take Balotelli at Liverpool, even if he is a top talent. The man's a bad apple, incorrigible (as Salazar would say), and determined to fuck up every chance he's ever afforded. I gave him a chance on Football Manager, and he still fucked me over once more, my fault for believing in him. Unlike Mancini, however, I'm the boss, so he had to go in the upcoming transfer window.

Well oh well. Looking forward to the topsy-turvey horror show that will be the Man U v Liverpool derby on Sunday. Can't even fathom what ridiculousness might occur. I expect comedy goals to be conceded by both sides.

Arnie

Well oh well. Looking forward to the topsy-turvey horror show that will be the Man U v Liverpool derby on Sunday. Can't even fathom what ridiculousness might occur. I expect comedy goals to be conceded by both sides.
I really hope the game passes us by without incident.

No questionable yet crucial officiating, no sour off the ball talking point, just a game of football.

Balotelli is a great family man.

Suarez.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kyoufu uber scout. Judges players after one game. Sack Alan Carr, bring in the Kyoufu.

I think he's shit as well, the people at Spurs seem to agree. We've looked at him for the last 4 years and never really made a serious move.

He'll be another Gervinho.

Wilbur

Banned
Just had Nandos recruitment day. Went alright but there was like 40 people there. It's unlikely they give the job to the only one wearing no clothes through the interview

Arnie

In the library and there's some psychopath student sat opposite and he keeps staring at me whenever I eat a piece of popcorn, or sniff up due to a cold. He's crazy. Looks on the verge of a breakdown whenever I make the slightest noise. There's people undoing velcro satchels to my left and he's staring them down.

Think he's highlighting equations.

tldr: all maths students be cray

In the library and there's some psychopath student sat opposite and he keeps staring at me whenever I eat a piece of popcorn, or sniff up due to a cold. He's crazy. Looks on the verge of a breakdown whenever I make the slightest noise. There's people undoing velcro satchels to my left and he's staring them down.

Think he's highlighting equations.

I was at the library last month finishing an assignment and some guy had a total mental breakdown, started screaming and throwing chairs and the computer screen at the wall. Security had to come and drag him out :lol

Top Bottom