• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Clegg

Could Suarez play as a number 10?

If he can then Lverpool could focus on bringing in a new striker to partner Borini.

Wilbur

Banned
Friend just put this up on Facebook and thought of you guys.

riJVx.jpg

:lol

Truly he understands the spirit of Christmas

Yen

If he can then Lverpool could focus on bringing in a new striker to partner Borini.
I haven't watched all of that B-Rod interview, but he says he could play Suarez as a wide forward (on the left?) whenever he can make a few more attacking additions.

A forward line of:

Suarez - Sturridge - Sterling
-------- new no 10 ----------

Would be good, with Suarez allowed to do anything he wants.

Arnie

Rodgers did speak of that, that he could play behind a number 9, or to either side, but personally I'd rather bring in a proper number 10 to fill that role, rather than push our best player back a tad. Rodgers did talk about bringing in a true number 9 to finish off all those opportunities in the box when Suarez wriggles his way to the byline and looks to pull back, and I imagine Sturridge is going to be that player. So whilst Sturridge will line up to the side of Suarez, he'll certainly have scope to operate centrally.

I haven't watched all of that B-Rod interview, but he says he plans to play Suarez as a wide forward (on the left?) whenever he can make a few more attacking additions.

A forward line of:

- new no 10 -

Would be good.

Sneijder, Bwendan pwease...

Quad S, or SQuad

I shivered writing that

Feorax

He played as a number 10 at times under Kenny.

He can do it no doubt, about that, but I think we'll see a significant drop in his goal return if we take him out of the front 3. Truth be told, I'd much rather have a dedicated 10 supporting him than he play that role himself.

Scum

I haven't watched all of that B-Rod interview, but he says he plans to play Suarez as a wide forward (on the left?) whenever he can make a few more attacking additions.

A forward line of:

-------- new no 10 ----------

Would be good, with Suarez allowed to do anything he wants.

This is what Rodgers will do.

---------- Sturridge ----------
Sterling -- Suarez -- Borini

Wilbur

Banned
I suppose B-Rod just wants to have depth in every position. Excluding Sahin who is out of the picture right now, you're looking at a fair amount of midfield and attacking cover (if not incredible quality yet):

Allen/Lucas - Gerrard/Suso - Shelvey/Hendo
Sterling/Suarez - Borini/Sturridge - Assaidi/Enrique

With Downing and Ince in there somewhere as well. On paper it's actually quite stacked and very good.

Arnie

This is what Rodgers will do.

---------- Sturridge ----------
Sterling -- Suarez -- Borini

Until we can get a proper number 10, yes.

Rodgers joking about Raheem's hair in the latest conference, said that he finally tidied himself up with a new cut contributed to his impact at the weekend. Joked that it was part of his contract.

I suppose B-Rod just wants to have depth in every position. Excluding Sahin who is out of the picture right now, you're looking at a fair amount of midfield and attacking cover (if not incredible quality yet):

Allen/Lucas - Gerrard/Suso - Shelvey/Hendo
Sterling/Suarez - Borini/Sturridge - Assaidi/Enrique

With Downing and Ince in there somewhere as well. On paper it's actually quite stacked and very good.

True.

The thing is as well, when discussing quality, I think a lot of our midfield are cast off by many, but the likes of Henderson and Shelvey have been really good when they've featured this season, to the extent that a player like Sahin isn't featuring. Sure, Sahin's not exactly been in form, but there's obviously a quality there in terms of his technical and tactical experience, and our young midfielders are matching that.

Arnie

I really think Suarez should stay in the centre.

I think he'll line up in the centre, even with Sturridge arriving and Borini returning, but the nature of his game dictates that he'll roam and shift his position. The profile of player Rodgers wants is a fluid forward who can shift dynamically, and never be pigeonholed as a wide man, or a central striker, but someone who ducks into both positions when needed.

The amount of times Suarez takes up a crossing position and supports a wingback, or shimmies his way to the byline is actually astonishing, given his position as the central figure up front. I don't think that'll change with any addition, I just think there will be players with a killer instinct in front of goal to support him, rather than Jose Enrique bombing in from the left and leaving large gaps.

Yen

--------------Reina------
Johnson--Škrtel--Agger--Enrique
---------Lucas----Allen--------
Sterling------Suarez-----Ince
-------------Sturridge--------

Or:

--------------Reina------
Johnson--Škrtel--Agger--Enrique
---------Lucas----Allen--------
Gerrard------Suarez-----Sterling
-------------Sturridge--------

ShogunX

Watched the whole hour and a half of his little conference and it was very good. I like the part where he mentions getting caught having a sneaky peep on the plane. Quite funny.

Another interesting thing Rodgers mentions is that the Linesman who disallowed that Suarez goal v Everton was the same one who never gave Suarez a pen when he has smashed in the back of the head against Norwich. Inept cunt.

Arnie

Watched the whole hour and a half of his little conference and it was very good. I like the part where he mentions getting caught having a sneaky peep on the plane. Quite funny.

Another interesting thing Rodgers mentions is that the Linesman who disallowed that Suarez goal v Everton was the same one who never gave Suarez a pen when he has smashed in the back of the head against Norwich. Inept cunt.

Were both these in part three?

I watched up until the halfway point of part three and don't remember either. Might go back and finish it off though, sounds interesting. I did cringe at the part when he said 'when I took the job 204 days ago', sounded far too prepared and salesmen like.

ShogunX

Were both these in part three?

I watched up until the halfway point of part three and don't remember either. Might go back and finish it off though, sounds interesting. I did cringe at the part when he said 'when I took the job 204 days ago', sounded far too prepared and salesmen like.

I think the plane peep was at the end of part two, Not sure about the linesman talk. He does say some other interesting things though such as Kevin Friend (Premiership ref) being brought in to ref the training matches so he can see the players behind the scenes (aka to see Suarez isn't a cunt).

He's a nice guy Rodgers and you can tell he's a football man through and through. At the end of part three he gives a little speech to the people who have turned up and you can tell how desperate he is to succeed at the club.

The man has my full backing no matter what.

Kyoufu

Sigh.

Sigh.

Sigh.

Pardew has forced Shola to not go to the AFCON for "undisclosed reasons".

Basically we're not signing a replacement for Ba.

Fuck football.

Yen

cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/158641666-luis-suarez-of-liverpool-in-action-during-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QQkRqPYK5HzqgllznY1BLHtgC3rQqVoIPmPjlN44qsnj

Can someone avatarise that for me?

Arnie

I think the plane peep was at the end of part two, Not sure about the linesman talk. He does say some other interesting things though such as Kevin Friend (Premiership ref) being brought in to ref the training matches so he can see the players behind the scenes (aka to see Suarez isn't a cunt).

He's a nice guy Rodgers and you can tell he's a football man through and through. At the end of part three he gives a little speech to the people who have turned up and you can tell how desperate he is to succeed at the club.

The man has my full backing no matter what.

Aye, just watched it, the Kevin Friend bit was interesting, then the joke about not yet trying to pay him. Also funny when Rodgers talked about the linesman from the derby being distraught, then someone shouting 'good'.

He's got my backing too. Most annoying thing is when people compare the points tally to Hodgson, but they don't actually realise that under that owl we were getting fucking battered week in, week out. The two games that we've been battered this season were Arsenal, for obvious reason, and Villa which was a freak result.

He's absolutely spot on when he says that some teams must've left Anfield feeling very, very relieved with a point.

Arnie

I'd love to see a fan focussed press conference with some other managers, such as Pardew, or AVB.

There's some great questions thrown at Rodgers there, that we've been pondering ourselves, so it's really refreshing to here them addressed. Imagine Pardew being grilled by a bunch of frustrated Geordies.

Kyoufu

Who could be going for Ba? Is it Arsenal?

Probably.

Could pave the way for Cabaye and Ben Arfa to join Arsenal in the future too.

I'd love to see a fan focussed press conference with some other managers, such as Pardew, or AVB.

There's some great questions thrown at Rodgers there, that we've been pondering ourselves, so it's really refreshing to here them addressed. Imagine Pardew being grilled by a bunch of frustrated Geordies.

Frustrated fans would rather grill Mike Ashley. The one that pulls the strings. Would be pointless asking Pardew anything because transfers has nothing to do with him unfortunately. Though Pardew did have a dinner gathering with fans in the summer where they asked questions etc.

dc89

Just put him and Kyoufu in a room together.

Carbonox

Probably.

Could pave the way for Cabaye and Ben Arfa to join Arsenal in the future too.

Frustrated fans would rather grill Mike Ashley. The one that pulls the strings. Would be pointless asking Pardew anything because transfers has nothing to do with him unfortunately. Though Pardew did have a dinner gathering with fans in the summer where they asked questions etc.

I'd ask him why he purposefully plays a shit formation, knowing full well it doesn't work and is one of the reasons for our shit season. Is it because he wants Ba's penis? He'd do anything for Ba?

Kyoufu

I'd ask him why he purposefully plays a shit formation, knowing full well it doesn't work and is one of the reasons for our shit season. Is it because he wants Ba's penis? He'd do anything for Ba?

He has no choice.

He dropped him and played 4-3-3 against Everton. We got demolished in the first half so Ba comes on in the 2nd and gets 2 goals.

The fact is Cisse has been wank and Ba is too selfish to make that partnership work. I for one won't miss Ba much. Good striker but all this release clause stuff and his comments lately are just not good for the club. He can go elsewhere.

Salvadora

I'd love to see Wenger doing a similar roundtable with some fan groups. Him, Pardew, and Redknapp would make for lovely viewing.

These fans are asking questions that are a million times better than the journalists would. An Arsenal version wouldn't be as civil I expect though.

Arnie

In fairness, Carrick played well yesterday.

To be fair he's been fucking class the last few games. Twice as good as Stewart Downing
Oh, I completely agree, I'm a fan of Carrick. Just seems like there's a moment each season that the world pops up from an underground bunker to give him a quick handjob before dropping back down again.

Carrick and Barry are both great players in my mind, both underrated, mostly because Franky Lamps and Stevie G can run from one box to the other and score a worldie, tackling the entire opposing team as they do so.
These fans are asking questions that are a million times better than the journalists would. An Arsenal version wouldn't be as civil I expect though.
It really is refreshing, they're asking about Gerrard playing as part of the front three, or about agent fees, questions that journalists wouldn't even dream of asking. I sat through an hour and a half of that, I can barely last 10 minutes of a standard press conference.

Clegg

Very very well.

His performance against City was more impressive though.

Most forward passes in the league this season. Was pretty meh until about a month ago though, good job he's come into form.

I think Cleverley as his midfield partner suits him.

He plays further forward than Scholes and is a more willing runner. It let's Carrick pass forward a bit more.

Top Bottom