• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

Sloosha

Since I'm kicking it with you guys at the moment, tell me, who is your personal favorite soccer player of all time?

Mine is Clarence Seedorf.

Rosicky in his Dortmund days was my favorite player.

I'm learning stuff watching Khan Academy YouTube videos.

Feels good man. Much more fun than playing video games

Yeah, will be using it a lot this semester to brush up on some OChem.

GQman2121

Banned
Since I'm kicking it with you guys at the moment, tell me, who is your personal favorite soccer player of all time?

That's a good one. Met him when Chelsea played Milan in Baltimore a few years ago.

When I started following the sport I was really into Christian Vieri.

vieriallsexyandshit.jpg

But I support Chelsea because of these two:

tumblr_m7lkthxrGD1qgi4wvo1_500.jpg

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink & Gianfranco Zola

feel

I can never pick a single favorite player. So many legends for me like Figo, Zidane, Deco, Roberto Baggio, Ronaldo (brazil), Rui Costa, Dinho, etc, etc.

Messi is the single most impressive player I've ever seen though, dude's mindblowing week after week. Sucks sooo much that he plays for Cuntcelona.

ShogunX

Gerrard for me also. Never seen a more complete midfielder in my life and it speaks volumes that the likes of De Rossi and Marchisio have Gerrard as their idols.

rodvik

Favourite? Probably Tony Daley. It was because of him I really got into following the game. The man just lit up the park when he was on form, which he was for a couple of seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFpNAOfyoI

In terms of more famous names. How can anyone watch Zidane and feel anything but awe?

Timurid

Favourite? Probably Tony Daley. It was because of him I really got into following the game. The man just lit up the park when he was on form, which he was for a couple of seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFpNAOfyoI

In terms of more famous names. How can anyone watch Zidane and feel anything but awe?
The only juve player that I can't hate.
You dont rate Marchisio?

The players from juve I rate are Pirlo, Vidal, and Buffoon. Everyone else can be easily replaced with better players.

ShogunX

The players from juve I rate are Pirlo, Vidal, and Buffoon. Everyone else can be easily replaced with better players.

It's not really about being replaced by better players but more that a very good player who plays for the best team in Italy has an Englishman as his idol.

Timurid

It's not really about being replaced by better players but more that a very good player who plays for the best team in Italy has an Englishman as his idol.

Good for Gerrard I supposed. I'm not saying Gerrard is a bad player or anything, I just don't rate Marchisio.

Clegg

Sometimes I forget how young Phil Jones actually is.

He was rightly criticized for his poor performances in the second half of last season. But he was only 19 at the time. I think he'll be a brilliant defender one day.

GolazoDan

My favourite player when I was like 11 or 12 was Ruud van Nistelrooy. SO HE IS THE BEST OF ALL TIME.

Was Odemwingie making some point about fans booing him and causing him to lose love of the game or someshit last year? Because this is gonna be funny as fuck when he goes to QPR. They love all of their players.

Gerrard was special as any player can ever be. I doubt there will be a player like him again.

I was about to disagree and say that was hyperbolic, but I think it might be true. There'll be plenty of better players, but more complete? I'm not sure.

In his prime:

Pace
Strength
Heading
Shooting
Passing (long and short)
Finishing
Positioning
Anticipation
Tackling
Workrate

Had it all in abundance. If he could have been a bit more of a vocal Roy Keane type captain, he'd have been basically perfect.

GolazoDan

Steven Gerrard never looks happy. And not the type of unhappiness you find in many of the Manchester United Fergie-era youth team products. Ryan Giggs and Michael Appleton, both have the empty stares of sharks.

Salazar

Shooting
Finishing

Positioning
Anticipation

These are effectively the same thing.

The "completeness" argument applied broadly is a bit of a duff really, because players in Gerrard's position get substantially more opportunities to get involved in play in different ways.

I'd probably say Gullit, off the top of my head.

Top Bottom