• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT22| His true nature avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spurs announced Baldini's appointment.

God help you.

I think he's going to be really helpful. Chairmen around the world will no longer have to deal with Levy. Anything that helps us better compete for talent is a good thing, and AVB wanted this last summer.

kharma45

To quote BeardedGenius on Twitter, 'Moyes biggest challenge isn't the fixture list, it's how to accommodate Thiago, Ronaldo, Fabregas & Lewandowski into his starting line up.' Ha.

David Moyes' funeral day set for September 3rd.

igI4ILMZPBcEf.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He'll be Tottenham's Txiki.

We badly needed someone in this position, it's not like Levy will hand the club over to him. He has an expertise that Levy simply doesn't have.

Our transfer business has been faulty for years, always late, always missing out on targets, Baldini can help to change that.

Hixx

Vydra? Hmm..

7 of our first 8 home games: Man U, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Mags, Chelsea. Seriously? Fucks sake.

Wilbur

Banned
Hopefully Moyeezus has the same after Xmas powers that Ferg did.

Juve fans, article by Goal.com's Italy expert Mark Doyle:

Claudio Marchisio does not warrant inclusion in a midfield three for either club or country, and is clearly incapable of operating in a more advanced position

Marchisio is, on his day, an indefatigable, industrious, multi-tasking midfielder with an eye for goal. However, when he is not making timely and lethal late runs into the area, it is difficult not to wonder if he brings much else of value to the party.

The 27-year-old functions best in a midfield three, but it has become abundantly clear over the past six months that he is no longer among the top three midfielders at Juventus. He has never been in the same class as either Andrea Pirlo (in fairness, so few are) or Arturo Vidal, and now he has arguably been overtaken in the pecking order by Paul Pogba, who, coincidentally, arrived in Turin on a free transfer from United last summer.

And that begs the question: does Marchisio deserve to remain a first-choice player for his country?

This time 12 months ago, Prandelli preferred to play Riccardo Montolivo in the troublesome trequartista role because of a dearth of viable alternatives, and the former Fiorentina captain made the best of an unwelcome assignment at Euro 2012 - witness his pass for Balotelli's second goal in the win over Germany.

However, over the course of a stellar debut season at San Siro in which he was deployed in his preferred position in the middle of the park, it became clear that Montolivo, like Pogba at Juventus, had overtaken Marchisio in the Azzurri's midfield pecking order. Montolivo, therefore, deserves to once again start alongside Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi against Japan.

But does Marchisio really warrant another start in an advanced role, in light of his no-show at the Maracana? It is not as if Italy do not have other options: Alberto Aquilani, Alessandro Diamanti, Alessio Cerci and Antoni Candreva are all in better form than Marchisio; not only that, they are all far more suited to playing as attacking midfielders.

The noises coming out of the Italian camp on Tuesday night suggest that Marchisio will indeed be dropped for the game against Japan, indicating that Prandelli has now realised what Conte reluctantly accepted last season: that while he has a couple of indispensable midfielders at his disposal, Marchisio is no longer one of them.

Full article here - http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/5329...should-no-longer-be-a-first-choice-player-for

Stage 5: Acceptance
Nah I mentioned this when Wigan went down. For a team with midfield options as poor as ours I would be okay signing him for like £5m.

Obv he's not the solution but it would be good depth. Can be a good back up for Carrick, plays a very similar type of game.

He's more imposing than Cleverley.
He can defend too, screens well.

Biggest prob with Cleverley IMO is that for a 2 man midfield he neglects way too many defensive duties.

But yeah if we're too busy blowing money elsewhere I'd happily take McCarthy + one other CM.

James Anderson is so good! Remember when be broke through he was pants.

Hixx

Some garble from the fixtures breakfast at the SoL this morning

"she [Byrne, our CEO] said that bid for Mig is nowhere near what they would consider acceptable. not guaranteed he'll be sold. if offer comes that will allow them to improve squad as whole then will look at it."

Some garble from the fixtures breakfast at the SoL this morning

"she [Byrne, our CEO] said that bid for Mig is nowhere near what they would consider acceptable. not guaranteed he'll be sold. if offer comes that will allow them to improve squad as whole then will look at it."

Good.

Clegg

He can defend too, screens well.

Biggest prob with Cleverley IMO is that for a 2 man midfield he neglects way too many defensive duties.

But yeah if we're too busy blowing money elsewhere I'd happily take McCarthy + one other CM.

James Anderson is so good! Remember when be broke through he was pants.
It depends on his price imo. If its between £10-12m then its acceptable. Anything higher is too much for him.

Lets just hope we don't spunk loads on him.

confuziz

Banned
Haha when you'd said Juve I was like woah really, good signing but Yurt + co. gonna be mad.

Good signing for Napoli though...getting ready to sell Cavani?

Yeah it was a brainfart. Well Mertens is absolutely only a winger so I doubt this has anything to do with Cavani.

WJD

I like McCarthy but I'm fairly convinced Everton are going to get him.

On another note, if I wanted to set up a blog/live journal for my travels should I go Word Press or Tumblr?

Arnie

lol

I remember big talk about Shelvey, come to think of it
Well Shelvey's had a Jekyll and Hyde season, so an up and down opinion is to be expected. So has Cleverley, similarly, except Tom doesn't have the benefit of still being young to excuse it.

Well Shelvey's had a Jekyll and Hyde season, so an up and down opinion is to be expected. So has Cleverley, similarly, except Tom doesn't have the benefit of still being young to excuse it.

I'm worried about Shelvey. He regressed badly between November and December onwards. Its the kind of instant regression you normally associate with off-the-pitch issues, and he tries to make up for it by taking even more risks in play, making stupid tackles, 5% passes and shooting from ridiculous positions

Wilbur

Banned
I like McCarthy but I'm fairly convinced Everton are going to get him.

On another note, if I wanted to set up a blog/live journal for my travels should I go Word Press or Tumblr?

I quite like the look of word press but tumblr you'll probs get more views and it's probably easier to use innit

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marchisio is, on his day, an indefatigable, industrious, multi-tasking midfielder with an eye for goal. However, when he is not making timely and lethal late runs into the area, it is difficult not to wonder if he brings much else of value to the party.

This part is partly true, he's never useless. His worst form is turning into a Gareth Barry, basically.

Is it really FAIR to judge him over his (admittedly poor) last two games with Italy in a useless cup? Prandelli is playing him out of position. A fucking winger in a 4-2-3-1, you can't do much midfielding there now can you? He's a victim of his own versatility, like Rooney.

It is not as if Italy do not have other options: Alberto Aquilani, Alessandro Diamanti, Alessio Cerci and Antoni Candreva are all in better form than Marchisio; not only that, they are all far more suited to playing as attacking midfielders.

ALL OF THEM ARE NATURAL WINGERS YOU DAFT CUNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom