• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like Blackpool won't be aware of inces sell on clause though. If they want £5m they'll just gross it up to get the price they want. I don't think the sell on clause really matters.

Linius

Ofi5U.gif

Wat

K1LLER7

Theo is a decent player but I can't see him as a regular starter.

Squad player at best. And he'd be played out of position more often than not. Sell Nani and we only have two wingers.

Walcott would be seen as a player to compete with Valencia.
I think Nani will leave. Valencia really needs to improve. He slows the play down too much when we counter. He can't seem to make his mind up on what to do and waits for Rafael to overlap all the time. Walcott would be a decent buy for the squad, someone perfect for a counter-attacking team. He'll have to play on the wing and if he really wants to play up-front, he'd be better off going to Liverpool or somewhere else.

Nein. Seen him do fuck all for Arsenal for too long.

He could be a decent squad player, he's still young and he'll be able to link well with RVP. Not a bad buy for cheap price.

nemesun

Walnut will get you boatload of assists, and he has a deep rooted chemistry with RvP.
who do you think slipped chicks the mickeys?

Arnie

I don't know if I'm okay with it, to be honest.

Tom Ince is really good, and I think he'll be a top player in the future, but Sturridge is properly greedy, in a really frustrating way. He was brilliant in his loan spell at Bolton, but unless Rodgers can purify his game I think he'll just be a cause of frustration more than anything.

Part of my hesitation to be overjoyed at the news is that we're spending a lot of money on British talent once again. What's the point in employing a scouting department?

I've come to the realisation that we are not a football club anymore. It is clear that Ivan and his cronies see us as a business, and that is proven by selling our players year after year and buying average players. The board have become too behind the times and they are not backing Wenger in the transfer market. January is a HUGE month for Arsenal transfer-wise.

GorillaJu

I don't know if I'm okay with it, to be honest.

Tom Ince is really good, and I think he'll be a top player in the future, but Sturridge is properly greedy, in a really frustrating way. He was brilliant in his loan spell at Bolton, but unless Rodgers can purify his game I think he'll just be a cause of frustration more than anything.

Part of my hesitation to be overjoyed at the news is that we're spending a lot of money on British talent once again. What's the point in employing a scouting department?

Being that these were transfers mooted last summer, it's just recycled paper talk I'm sure.

I'm with you about Sturridge. I wouldn't mind Ince since I think he's the kind of wide player we could use, however what he isn't is a guaranteed starter every week.

I would prefer Walcott over Sturridge by a good country mile

Arnie

Liverpool need some top players now, not in the future.

And is Tom Ince really going to be a "top player"?

Brendan Rodgers obviously thinks so, and that's good enough for me. To be honest I'm actually really pleased about the Ince deal because I think the lad's fucking quality. I saw him a couple of times last season as Blackpool pushed for promotion, and then I was blown away by him when he played against Wednesday this season. He was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, technically and mentally. He always wants the ball, and isn't afraid to express himself with it, which is what Rodgers wants.

Sturridge I'm less sure about. I was gutted we didn't grab him as part of the Torres deal, considering how well he did at Bolton, and then at Chelsea upon return, but he's stagnated recently.

PJX

grauniad

I'm okay with this.

I'm not and I hope it really doesn't happen. It would be more money being wasted especially on a below average player like Sturridge.

Liverpool need some top players now, not in the future.

And is Tom Ince really going to be a "top player"?

Agreed. All we keep doing is buy average to below average players and wasting money. The amount of money we have spent on crappy players, we could have had two or three world class players by now.

Arnie

I'm not and I hope it really doesn't happen. It would be more money being wasted especially on a below average player like Sturridge.

I don't think Sturridge is 'below average'. He showed he can score goals consistently, under Coyle and AVB, but he's got a frustrating streak about him. He needs coaching, and I'm not talking about RDM letting him train alongside Oscar, I mean Rodgers shouting at him whilst he's dancing in training, and telling him to pass the fucking ball. I don't have much faith in his game intelligence, which is where my main fear comes from, but I've got the utmost faith in his ability to stick the ball in the net.

And whether a player cost £2 million, £12 million, or £42 million, a goal's a goal. Recapture his form from Bolton where he stuck one in every week and we'll be laughing. Rodgers obviously feels he can do that, despite our skepticism.

Meier

Pep was probably earning less at Barca than what Wenger does now.
That was then. This is now. He is the most desired coach in the world and Roman offered him £20m. Arsene gets around £9m, right? Well Tito is on £7m to replace Pep with 0 experience. Minimum Pep will get anywhere is £15m.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just saw the Villa goals. I hope some paper does an analysis on the 3-5-2 we play. I have no clue what is going on but it seems to work!

Bentekkers and Weimannia are really starting to link up well. Delicious.

Brendan Rodgers obviously thinks so, and that's good enough for me. To be honest I'm actually really pleased about the Ince deal because I think the lad's fucking quality. I saw him a couple of times last season as Blackpool pushed for promotion, and then I was blown away by him when he played against Wednesday this season. He was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, technically and mentally. He always wants the ball, and isn't afraid to express himself with it, which is what Rodgers wants.

Sturridge I'm less sure about. I was gutted we didn't grab him as part of the Torres deal, considering how well he did at Bolton, and then at Chelsea upon return, but he's stagnated recently.
But is Ince really much if at all better than Sterling or Assiadi? Or even as good as them?

I actually don't know I've never seen him play, it just doesn't strike me as an obv leap in quality added to the first team.

I get that he is talented and could go on to be a good player but surely that should be a singing which supplements other more immediate ones. I guess it depends on what the aim is for the season.

PJX

I don't think Sturridge is 'below average'. He showed he can score goals consistently, under Coyle and AVB, but he's got a frustrating streak about him. He needs coaching, and I'm not talking about RDM letting him train alongside Oscar, I mean Rodgers shouting at him whilst he's dancing in training, and telling him to pass the fucking ball. I don't have much faith in his game intelligence, which is where my main fear comes from, but I've got the utmost faith in his ability to stick the ball in the net.

And whether a player cost £2 million, £12 million, or £42 million, a goal's a goal. Recapture his form from Bolton where he stuck one in every week and we'll be laughing. Rodgers obviously feels he can do that, despite our skepticism.

That's my main concern also. he is so arrogant and selfish that I don't even think Rodgers would be able to do anything with him. I could be wrong but I honestly think that buying him would be a waste of money.

Messi

But is Ince really much if at all better than Sterling or Assiadi? Or even as good as them?

I actually don't know I've never seen him play, it just doesn't strike me as an obv leap in quality added to the first team.

I get that he is talented and could go on to be a good player but surely that should be a singing which supplements other more immediate ones. I guess it depends on what the aim is for the season.

I think signing Sturridge is meant to be the more mature striker.

That was then. This is how. He is the most desired coach in the world and Roman offered him £20m. Arsene gets around £9m, right? Well Tito is on £7m to replace Pep with 0 experience. Minimum Pep will get anywhere is £15m.
Personally, highly doubt it.

Guess we won't know till it happens but I'd be surprised. And I also don't think the wage is going to be anywhere near the top priorities in his decision making process.

Arnie

But is Ince really much if at all better than Sterling or Assiadi? It even as good as them?

I don't really know I've never seen him play, it just doesn't strike me as an obv leap in quality added to the first team.

I'd say he's as good as Sterling, personally, but it's hard to judge because he's playing in the Championship and is two years older. Every time I've seen him play over the last year, and that's around five times, I've praised him and rued us letting him go. And that's without any notion that we were thinking of resigning him, so it's not retrospective optimism. Hence, I'm happy about that one, I think he'll be a brilliant addition.

I get what you're saying though, he's another young player in a really young team. We let Kuyt and Maxi go, and haven't replaced that experience. I think this season we're seeing the likes of Johnson and Lucas step up as experienced leaders on the pitch, though. It's a transition, that's for sure, and we need to keep adding to our arsenal going forwards.

One thing you can't question about Ince or Sturridge is that they're goal threats, that's their main talent. From a nuts and bolts perspective they're solid signings.

Lightning

Banned
After today's terrible loss I'm taking a break from football. Have a safe Christmas all and hopefully new year will have better results.

Messi

Yay my puppys op (castration) all went ok! It's been 7 days now and he can finally leave the stupid cone off his head

Celebrated with a bone

Your dog is beautiful, happy the op went well for you and him.

After today's terrible loss I'm taking a break from football. Have a safe Christmas all and hopefully new year will have better results.

tumblr_ljj2rpZnYi1qetpu1o1_500.gif

Don't leave there will be brighter days. If you do take a break have a happy holiday with your family and friends.

ShogunX

Why would you take a break from football just because your team isn't doing very well? Seems like you are taking the easy way out to be honest when at times like this you need to be doing the opposite.

Seems a bit fair weather to me but I'm sure you have your reasons.

Anyway have a good Xmas.

GorillaJu

Liverpool fans have a weed-like presence, don't we.

There were some United fans in here saying that if their club stopped winning they'd stop following the team. Loollllololololooool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom