• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So how did Mancity actually become a good team? I mean i know they got supermario and whatnot but structurally how did they become a good club? Just massive amounts of money and signings?

Because historically everyone's always splooged on ManU right?

City = Miami Heat.

Liverpool = Celtics

So how did Mancity actually become a good team? I mean i know they got supermario and whatnot but structurally how did they become a good club? Just massive amounts of money and signings?

City have always been a big massive huge massive club.

Salazar

Just massive amounts of money and signings?

It really is that simple.

It takes a bit more to put them on the cultural map, though. I mean, even Chelsea had to establish a pattern of winning shit before people regarded them as a properly successful comedy-club financed by a gangster.

They are, by sheer magnitude of investment, a different proposition to the old version of financially-bicycle-pumped clubs.

This explains it pretty well. Or, at least, the context of their transformation.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n16/david-conn/follow-the-money

With a manager who isn't a fucking twit, they'll eventually be quite lethal. Vinny Kompany's talk about them being "destined" for Champions League success is bullshit, and they will perpetually be subject to dips in form, but you'd have to expect them to iron out a few of the inconsistencies.

GorillaJu

Mario Balotelli isn't very good, or rather hasn't been playing well for awhile. Their owners have basically limitless funds, which is important in football because unlike American sports, there are no salary caps, and there's no system in place that prevents teams from buying up all the best players in the sport, if they have the backing to finance it. City was purchased buy a mega-rich oil tycoon, and since then they've been on a quick rise to the top.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
2012%2f12%2fPizarro-Top(A).jpg

-

Gigi Del Neri, seven defeats in eight official games thus far, his team is second bottom of Serie A.

Our former coach ladies and gentlemen.

Luigi-Del-Neri_2854459.jpg

-

Edit:

Oh fuck off Tuttosport.
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

dc89

Don't let these heathens lead you astray.

Sure, City would not be where they are now if it wasn't for the money, in fact they'd probably be out of business. Before our current owner bought us, our previous owners funds were frozen and the club was in a very bad way. A previous player said the team travelled to an away game with a feeling it was going to be one of the last times playing together because we had no monies! Then BOOM! Our fortunes changed.

Sheikh-Mansour-006.jpg

You mention 'a good club', well I think we've always been a good club. Before the money we were up and down the leagues like a yo-yo and some people took pity on City and kinda liked supporting them as a second team, this stopped when the money came though :lol now everyone hates us except for Fady K because he supports everyone. We have a very loyal following, even in the third tier (at the time it was slightly different) of English football we still filled our 32,000 capacity stadium which was very good.

We have a very colourful history and we had our glory days and we had our WTF moments, like the time we basically relegated ourselves thinking a draw was good enough, so we kept the ball most of the second half not trying to win, and then it all changed in injury time when the players got the message we actually had to win... too late, relegated.

But the Manchester football scene is one you definitely want to keep an eye on, now you have these two great clubs battling it for the title. Last year it came down to goal difference (you should totally read in to last years title race if you can - the BEST EVER) and this year United beat City to end City's 2 year home unbeaten run! The games mean something now and that's whats changed for the better! It's no longer about bragging rights, just like the good ol' days when City relegated United with a back heel from former United player turned City, Dennis Law. ;)

Slizz

Had a great night tonight. 3:35 am eastern time right now and I just had an hour long convo with who I basically imagined was Clegg. Straight Irishmen with a passion for United. We straight reminisced about the City United Derby and future matches and other goings on in the league for an hour until I got home right now.

This never happens for me, most people that are fans of footy are Barca or Real in this neck of the woods. We had a hoot laughing at Arsenal(sorry guys I still love you including Lightning).

iKEVZ2ZPiFFd5.gif

<3

ibaIz7ZCleyL6l.gif

Canuck, I'll make you a simple list of PL clubs and how you should think of them

-Man Utd can fuck off, the cunts
-Man City can fuck off, the twats
-Chelsea can fuck off, the plastic knobends
-Everton can fuck off, the tits
-Tottenham can fuck off
-West Brom are alright
-Arsenal can do one
-Swansea are okay, twat fans though
-Stoke are worse than the Nazis, and their manager is the anti-Christ
-Liverpool are constant disappointments, but you should support them anyway. Chief provider of lulz, unfortunately. Suarez is the most likable player in the league, if not the world
-West Ham can piss off
-Norwich are fine
-Fulham are okay
-Newcastle are our fellow disappointers, difficult to really dislike. Except Perch and Kyoufu. They can fuck off
-Sunderland are basically the most boring team in Europe
-Southampton are pretty great, nice to watch as well
-Aston Villa can disappear into an endless chasm and nobody would notice, much less miss them. Fucking thieves.
-Wigan are likeable enough, especially their manager. Owner's a complete knob though
-Reading are a nothing team, with shite fans and an even worse team
-QPR are a gang of spineless fannies, a hybrid of Man City's ridiculous spending, Arsenal's lack of bottle, and Sunderland's lack of quality. Relegation can't come soon enough

#GTIYH #STUYA

Salazar

Liverpool aren't even the chief provider of lulz.

Arsenal have edged ahead. And threaten to consolidate their lead with a shit transfer window.

Liverpool aren't even the chief provider of lulz.

Arsenal have edged ahead.

We've been providing mega-lulz on a regular basis for over 3 years now. Arsenal give us sporadic monthly periods of material, which normally coincide with them getting knocked out of every cup they're eligible for

Liverpool=There's Something About Mary
Arsenal=Me, Myself & Irene

Salazar

Liverpool don't have as much utter donkey-like garbage in their squad. Plonkers and youngsters and some old blokes on their way out. But they're not on Arsenal's level.

And it's hard to swallow their complaints about the plastic clubs, to be honest. Chelsea whipping Mata away from them didn't force them to buy shite or offer gash players big contracts.

Liverpool don't have as much utter donkey-like garbage in their squad. Plonkers and youngsters and some old blokes on their way out. But they're not on Arsenal's level.

Chamakh
Gervinho
Ramsey
Santos
Squilacci (never plays tbf)

vs

Downing
Cole

We have less utter shite than I thought we'd have. Although Gervinho would probably be good enough for us, sadly :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Dortmund's chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke on Lewandowski—"Which player that has left us is now happier? Kagawa? &#350;ahin? Barrios? No-one"

Blablurn

Dortmund's chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke on Lewandowski&#8212;"Which player that has left us is now happier? Kagawa? &#350;ahin? Barrios? No-one"

Even though he got a point i'm sure barrios doesnt complain with the shitton of money he earns in china.

fuenf

Dortmund's chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke on Lewandowski&#8212;"Which player that has left us is now happier? Kagawa? &#350;ahin? Barrios? No-one"

Watzke is increasingly sounding like Hoeneß :D dat self-confidence, bitterness and disrespect for rival clubs (when it comes to transfers) :D

It even makes me like Dortmund a little bit more.

Kenka

Watzke >>>>> Arnesen

Arnesen > Peters > Bobic

Might be a sign that an offer big enough has landed on the table. Formerly, he claimed he would only let Evilore go if he received 40M&#8364;. He just wants to keep him at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom