• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Nasri and Evra confused me.

But still, it's a comprehensive list with a bunch of good writers nominating, thought it would be worth mentioning anyway.

Top 10 will certainly feature Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Pirlo, Falcao, van Persie, and probably Casillas and Xavi as well. Predictable up to a point.

Mastadon

Banned
Nasri and Evra confused me.

But still, it's a comprehensive list with a bunch of good writers nominating, thought it would be worth mentioning anyway.

Top 10 will certainly feature Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Downing, Pirlo, Falcao, van Persie, and probably Casillas, Bebe and Xavi as well. Predictable up to a point.

You missed a couple.

Zabojnik

Lol, the Guardian list says Hulk plays for Marseille. I wish. Give me the 60 million back you fraud.

The more you know: Conte was doing some scouting work for Juve back in 2005 and wanted us to buy Hulk. He was in Brazil at the time, playing for Vitoria, a brazilian Serie B side.

:/

"Maybe we underestimated them a little." - Pavel Nedvěd

PAVEEEEEL. <3 Let's not repeat the same mistake this time.

fuenf

Guardian are doing a countdown from now until Christmas Eve of the top 100 players in the world. Each of the below were asked to rank 30 players from top to bottom, with 1 getting 30 points, 2 getting 29 points and so on and so forth.

What a shitty system, how can you make a top 100 when you only ask the experts to rank their top 30? It's obvious that the top 10-15 players will largely be the same, but after that all bets are off and it will come down to personal preference. No wonder the list is shit.

Wilbur

Banned
Sheverley have ascended to a point far beyond 'best of' lists.

When the apocalypse comes tomorrow, they will ascend atop rainbow unicorn chariots and take their place next to Jesus, Stalin and Brittany Murphy

So where does everyone think Fernando Torres will be on the list?

It's already a bit of a cunt list as it is, but if he turns up then it's completely invalid.

I suppose if Kagawa turns up 29 times as 30th best player but Mayuka turns up once as world's best player, he has more points. Hmm.

Kenka

Below Bendtner.

You should ask Math-GAF what the odds of that exact draw happening are. I know that the probability is minuscule, however.
Svia got the answer:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45611217&postcount=1446

~1:500'000

Don't worry, only UEFA is corrupt. I refuse to believe that the fine folks at FIFA gave Russia(and Qatar for that matter) the World Cup for any reason other than it being the best bid.
Man, you gave me sight when I was blind.

Wilbur

Banned
Gotta pay dat child support.

30k a week is fine for a player of his level and potential imo.

That's alright actually, I just underestimated how much he was already on. I assumed he'd be getting a ludicrous amount. He was only on 150 quid or so?

What a shitty system, how can you make a top 100 when you only ask the experts to rank their top 30? It's obvious that the top 10-15 players will largely be the same, but after that all bets are off and it will come down to personal preference. No wonder the list is shit.

Yeah, it's always going to be pretty poor overall, but just a bit of fun. Be happy your dog Super Mario II is on there!!

Clegg

Guardian's List

100. Paulinho
99. Diego Forlan
98. Javi Martinez
97. Marek Hamsik
96. Pepe
95. Sneijder
94. Kagawa
93. Nasri (lol)
92. Ben Arfa
91. Dembele
90. Mkhitaryan
89. Pastore
88. Bonucci
87. Asamoah
86. Terry
85. Mayuka
84. Srna
83. Hulk
82. M'Biwa
81. Wanyama
80. Modric
79. Luiz
78. Evra
77. Mandzukic
76. Moutinho
75. Lavezzi
74. Eriksen
73. Cazorla
72. Pedro
71. Hernanes

Ah don't say that, I love AC games vs us. Bojans return :p

Gonna get me some tickets
I love them too, we usually try to do our best even if we know that you guys are better. It's just that it seems a little unfair to draw Barcelona three times in two years. ._.
Trivia: I was at San Siro when Milan won his last match vs Barca, October 2004, near my birthday, Sheva scored with a header, it ended 1-0. Maybe I should visit our stadium in February.
Well, that's not hard because those are the teams that finished second.
Ah, yes, of course.

Zabojnik

Let's continue honoring Napoli's disastrous week with some gifs.

iwyi7RtQgLrdh.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Guardian's List

100. Paulinho
99. Diego Forlan
98. Javi Martinez
97. Marek Hamsik
96. Pepe
95. Sneijder
94. Kagawa
92. Ben Arfa
91. Dembele
90. Mkhitaryan
89. Pastore
88. Bonucci
87. Asamoah
86. Terry
84. Srna
83. Hulk
82. M'Biwa
81. Wanyama
80. Modric
76. Moutinho
75. Lavezzi
74. Eriksen
73. Cazorla
72. Pedro
71. Hernanes

Got rid of Nasri, Evra and Luiz on grounds of being shit, and Mayuka on account of having never seen him play. All the rest are probably worthy though not necessarily in that order.

Srna and Pepe should be higher though.

fuenf

That looks wrong. Dont forget the odds table that was posted a couple of weeks ago, you have to factor in that clubs from the same nation or the same group cant play against each other. Gala / Celtic were among the first drawn teams, and both teams could be drawn to 7 different group leaders. After that most group leaders only had about 4 possible options.

Furthermore it wasnt the same draw, if the picture is accurate the pairings werent drawn in the same order. It's unlikely, but it isnt as unlikely as it seems.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm glad we got Celtic to be honest. Classy fans, club and country. I wouldn't mind crashing out to them.

Vidalinho would mind though.

901696-arturo-vidal.jpg

Kenka

That looks wrong. Dont forget the odds table that was posted a couple of weeks ago, you have to factor in that clubs from the same nation or the same group cant play against each other. Gala / Celtic were among the first drawn teams, and both teams could be drawn to 7 different group leaders. After that most group leaders only had about 4 possible options.

Furthermore it wasnt the same draw, if the picture is accurate the pairings werent drawn in the same order. It's unlikely, but it isnt as unlikely as it seems.
Well, the table was the basis of the discussion all along. I guess the Russian used it for the first draw and then squared for the second.
EUROPA LEAGUE DRAW TIME!!!!!

I kind of want Zenit-Chelsea in the ultimate Gazprom showdown.
That would be great. Too bad Schalski won their group, you could have looked forward to a Gazprom final in Amsterdam. Chelsea will never go that far while Zenit could if they pull their thumbs out of their asses.

fuenf

Yeah, it's always going to be pretty poor overall, but just a bit of fun. Be happy your dog Super Mario II is on there!!

Happy? he's been awful lately. I cant fathom how someone would rate him as a top 30 player.

Well, the table was the basis of the discussion all along. I guess the Russian used it for the first draw and then squared for the second.

Sorry but I dont understand what you are saying.

Wilbur

Banned
EUROPA LEAGUE DRAW TIME!!!!!

I kind of want Zenit-Chelsea in the ultimate Gazprom showdown.

I want Chelsea to go out as soon as possible, but I wouldn't mind the other English teams winning. Actually not Liverpool, because Arnie owes me pictures of him pissing on a Bible if they don't win a cup.

Gerrard will be higher than those guys

Was going to mention this. If he and Lampard are on this after last season then I'll fucking laugh my cock off.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Guardian's List

100. Paulinho
99. Diego Forlan
98. Javi Martinez
97. Marek Hamsik
96. Pepe
95. Sneijder
94. Kagawa
93. Nasri (lol)
92. Ben Arfa
91. Dembele
90. Mkhitaryan
89. Pastore
88. Bonucci
87. Asamoah
86. Terry
85. Mayuka
84. Srna
83. Hulk
82. M'Biwa
81. Wanyama
80. Modric
79. Luiz
78. Evra
77. Mandzukic
76. Moutinho
75. Lavezzi
74. Eriksen
73. Cazorla
72. Pedro
71. Hernanes

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Kenka

Furthermore it wasnt the same draw, if the picture is accurate the pairings weren't drawn in the same order. It's unlikely, but it isnt as unlikely as it seems.
Yes, that's a good point. But the odd of being a fraud are still higher than a simple coincidence.

Wilbur

Banned
FourFourTwo did their 100 best players recently. Torres was like 72nd, Yaya flopping about somewhere near the top 10 and no Vidal to be seen.

Appalling.

That would be great. Too bad Schalski won their group, you could have looked forward to a Gazprom final in Amsterdam. Chelsea will never go that far while Zenit could if they pull their thumbs out of their asses.

Lol, I didn't mean the final, I meant this round of 32, lol.

Kenka

Happy? he's been awful lately. I cant fathom how someone would rate him as a top 30 player.

Sorry but I dont understand what you are saying.
If you want to know the odds of having a draw being held twice in a row, you multiply the probability of having one with itself. But your comment about the order makes it a tad more complex.
Lol, I didn't mean the final, I meant this round of 32, lol.
I know, but a third Gazprom in the competition could have left the possibility of a pure gaz final open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom