• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

I don't think we would, not at all. However, I do think we have a better chance of winning this competition than you do.

Well to be fair I think it's pretty fair to say that Arsenal haven't been going out to weak opposition in the past few years, nor have we played like shit doing so over the two legs. I don't think either Arsenal/United have much of a chance at all of winning. It'll be interesting to see United against a quality European team, that's for sure.

Atleast we consistently get through our group and give people a game, Milan away last year was awful but at home we played very well and came close to getting through. Year before that we beat Barca at home and was only one goal away from knocking them out.
As good as a trophy tbh.

Wilbur

Banned
:lol Balotelli you baby

De Jong is very good at breaking up opposition attacks and being a hardman.

Garcia is probably a better player technically but he fails at his job as a DM. He just lets players go by him so easily.

De Jong's underrated as fuck, very effective at shielding the defence and getting into people's faces. City should have kept him.

There are 32 teams in the CL and there are only a select few that probably have a real chance of winning, it wouldn't be much of a tournament if you just booted everyone who "waste" a spot.

Atleast we consistently get through our group and give people a game, Milan away last year was awful but at home we played very well and came close to getting through. Year before that we beat Barca at home and was only one goal away from knocking them out.

I'm not saying there's a better alternative which is 'only let the six teams capable of winning the tournament play', but just saying the argument you're making - which is we flopped against Basel - is a different one than the one Lunchbox is making.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Arsenal are so shit.

Could have at least won their group so we could have had a better chance of avoiding Real or one of the other good teams.

Useless.
But Real Madrid are gonna finish second. If anything, United vs Real Madrid is an actual likely scenario.

...I expect Arsenal to draw Barcelona anyway. lol

Ajax has played against Real six times in just over two years. Madrid scored 20 goals in those six matches, Ajax scored two. Poor Ajax, it's just really unfair

But Real Madrid are gonna finish second. If anything, United vs Real Madrid is an actual likely scenario.

...I expect Arsenal to draw Barcelona anyway. lol
That's what I mean.

With Real 2nd, if Arsenal came top and Schalke second, that makes the chances of us drawing Real shorter.

Kyoufu

Manchester City become the first Premier League side to fail to win a game in the Champions League group stage

Get that in your head.

Well to be fair I think it's pretty fair to say that Arsenal haven't been going out to weak opposition in the past few years, nor have we played like shit doing so over the two legs. I don't think either Arsenal/United have much of a chance at all of winning. It'll be interesting to see United against a quality European team, that's for sure.
Well from next year you will have zero chance cos you won't even be in it.

Get that in your head.

Wilbur

Banned

The difference for me is that, and we've seen it time and time again this season, no matter how shit our defence is there's a chance that we have the mental fortitude to make up a 1-0 loss in the first leg and end up winning 2-1. That's just what our team seems to be like this year.

Arsenal don't have that. They went 4-0 down to Milan and won 3-0 in the return, and that was great, but if they had lost 3-0, I think they would have only won 2-0 in the second leg. They're that predictable in their mental block, if you know what I mean.

bud

all you city and mancini haters are ridiculous. how do you expect them to beat a second-rate dortmund team?!

There are some things that you can get away with in games, that you can't get away with in films. Agent 47 looking cool and being unrecognisable in disguise being one of them. He's completely bald, and has a barcode on the back of his fucking head

Lunchbox

Banned
It'll be interesting to see United against a quality European team, that's for sure.

we got this guy from one of our feeder teams

he's ready

Fezc3.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I can't wait for you to be humiliated by Madrid.

We'll get Celtic and scrape a win and you know it. Then we'll get Porto and win on away goals in the quarters. Then we'll get Juventus and Conte will have stopped paying refs for a while to divert attention, so we win 6-0. Then we get Madrid in the final, Mourinho has already left for City and we win 10-3.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Spend 500 millions to exit at group stage of CL without winning a single match. Mancini lol

Wilbur

Banned
City wouldn't offer him the 100k per week he wanted. I certainly hope Garcia isn't anywhere near that.

The thing is, De Jong may not be worth 100k to a sane human being with no money, but for City he just might be, considering the amount of money you're giving to players anyway. Maicon must be on a fuckload, so must Lescott and Balotelli, and they're hardly starters. De Jong brings a bit more leadership and guts to the side. Mistake letting him go considering their resources anyway, if you ask me.

Salvadora

We'll get Celtic and scrape a win and you know it. Then we'll get Porto and win on away goals in the quarters. Then we'll get Juventus and Conte will have stopped paying refs for a while to divert attention, so we win 6-0. Then we get Madrid in the final, Mourinho has already left for City and we win 10-3.

I'm actually interested in a United/Celtic match because I think it could be quite the upset. I'm really just hoping for a total humiliation of United in every department, so Madrid is the best option in the short term.

Clegg

Tbh it's very worrying how far PL teams are now behind in Europe. Chelsea won it last year but that was through resolute defending. They didn't really have a game where they actually dominated the opposition. I suppose they hammered Napoli but they were also well beaten by Napoli in the first leg.

United were awful last season and haven't been great this season. Arsenal have been poor too and City the worst.

You can tell how much worse the PL is by the fact that City and United look like the most likely to win the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom