• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: New Exclusive Details on Marathon - Spring 2025, Hero Shooter, 300 developers

So this game is a year (or two) away still and "this game is DOA" vibes are already permeating the enthusiast circles. Why are these companies chasing Overwatch? Let Overwatch be its own thing.

Hey Bungie/Sony, there are literally tens of millions of us elderly boomer Halo fans who will throw money at you for a regular sci fi shooter with a regular campaign and regular multiplayer modes. Shit, even throw in a BR mode if you want.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

tmlDan

So this game is a year (or two) away still and "this game is DOA" vibes are already permeating the enthusiast circles. Why are these companies chasing Overwatch? Let Overwatch be its own thing.

Hey Bungie/Sony, there are literally tens of millions of us elderly boomer Halo fans who will throw money at you for a regular sci fi shooter with a regular campaign and regular multiplayer modes. Shit, even throw in a BR mode if you want.
its not overwatch its still an extraction shooter....guys read the article not the OP lol

Zacfoldor

Oh dear. Concord 2.0. Even the Bungie name won't make a 40 dollar hero shooter popular. Spesh if its like Apex which is dropping players as far as I know.

Bungie deal already looked awful. But it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Sony really are going to shit.
Also Marvel Rivals is launching this or next year. Free to play. This is such a packed genre that their last game shut down in a few weeks, FROM LAUNCH. Just why. Who is this for?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I look at hero shooters as an individual shooter, team shooters are different and you can’t tell me hero shooters are better than call of duty, none of the hero shooters are bigger games than Halo in its prime, Gears of War would give “hero shooters” trouble, go back to battlefield vs cod battles, controlling capture points, game battles vibes. I think hero shooters are the best they’ve been but what’s a concern for hero shooters is it being a trend, a bunch of people are in the dark about the next halo, the next gears of war, my point being arena shooters carried the 90s, 00s, and every time society falls in love with a type of shooter they end up dying out in the end. Call of duty has a gas tank, battlefield will make a run, and I’m curious about gears of war, halo and the odd rainbow six, ghost recon, uncharted multiple.

Ariana Grande Singing GIF by The Voice

clarky

Gold Member
This gets worse every time I read some new info on it.

It's now a hero shooter instead of extraction?

Just fucking cancel it already.
I read it as still an extraction shooter with different "heroes" that are customisable. The way they described the Heroes are basically D2 Guardians with abilities like double jump etc.

Not sure why every is "LOL DOA" at $40, all other extraction shooters on the market are priced similarly.

The Art style is the same as the reveal which is a plus.

Like i said in the other thread, Bungie always seem to pull something out of the bag, ill wait for gameplay before writing it off.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Gojiira

Sounds like Ziegler doesn’t get it then…That original idea of having it be more like The Dreaming City sounds way better 😩
An extraction shooter with secrets akin to Destinys secret missions and Raids sounds fantastic…Hero shooter with none of that well sounds familiar…I suppose it can still be good, Bungie are good at making the shooting part but it sounds so ‘familiar’ and safe atm I just dont see the point outside of that sexy art direction.

Bry0

It’s an extraction shooter first and foremost still with heroes ala apex, not just an overwatch clone. It’s in the article that none of you actually read apparently. 😂

Game is probably doomed either way so not like it matters much I guess.

Last edited:

Nydius

$40 price tag, admitting they’re going head to head against already established, and F2P, Apex?

Dr. McCoy, paging Dr. Leonard McCoy.

star trek GIF

BigBeauford

I would love for this to be a more accessible Tarkov. If they nail the gunplay and don't make me study a physical map because the game lacks a map and compass, I might be into it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I think the greater problem is that people believe Paul Tassi. It's OK to be skeptical as he's just repeating all the recent rumors here and adding a few plausible vagaries "that could change" to get clicks.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
For once we agree.

Bungie have yet to make a single dud so they get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Same. I'll start being open to the doom and gloom after we get a real look into its gameplay loop. As of right now, all the incentives are there to spread doom and gloom to the gullible masses.

Also where is James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford ?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Seen as everyone seems to love just reading incorrect titles by my man Draugoth Draugoth ill quote the article.

" There are heroes with individual personalities with a few unique abilities each, ie. double jump, fast revive, invis. Though as an extraction shooter, the gear and guns you find during runs are the most important part however, and can be customized a lot. There are gameplay buffs you earn from XP that apply to all characters in different changeable skill trees."

If anything it sounds like an extraction shooter with a Destiny twist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom