• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: New Exclusive Details on Marathon - Spring 2025, Hero Shooter, 300 developers

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hero-ish shooter.

RIP.

Bungie will be a game studio milking destiny 2 as long as possible.

Only way I see it doing great is if the aesthetics catch on. It does have a unique look which looks cool…. That sci fi shot with the Asian looking character in white face.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Seen as everyone seems to love just reading incorrect titles by my man Draugoth Draugoth ill quote the article.

" There are heroes with individual personalities with a few unique abilities each, ie. double jump, fast revive, invis. Though as an extraction shooter, the gear and guns you find during runs are the most important part however, and can be customized a lot. There are gameplay buffs you earn from XP that apply to all characters in different changeable skill trees."

If anything it sounds like an extraction shooter with a Destiny twist.
I will be amazed if Marathon is anything like Apex Legends in terms of "hero personalities". The big debut trailer really seemed to showcase robotic cores / cyborg shells. Though, that trailer seems to have been taken down.

Also: #FREE JAMES SAWYER FORD I'm not eating until he's released from ban jail.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The Problem with the game is, almost nobody knows Marathon and those who do will hate what they did to the 1994 game. But the bigger problem is the 40 Dollar price tag.
Multiplayer doesn't rely on IP recognition. Most breakout hits in the GAAS space are new IP. Also, there's only like 8 people still gaming who loved the original Marathon trilogy as that series was never a big seller.

Ogbert

Gold Member
The game features double jump?

shocked jurassic park GIF

clarky

Gold Member
It's not just the title, the notes in the first post say nothing about extraction.
Draugoth Draugoth strikes again mate. From the article:

"There are heroes with individual personalities with a few unique abilities each, ie. double jump, fast revive, invis. Though as an extraction shooter, the gear and guns you find during runs are the most important part however, and can be customized a lot. There are gameplay buffs you earn from XP that apply to all characters in different changeable skill trees."

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

"There are heroes with individual personalities with a few unique abilities each, ie. double jump, fast revive, invis. Though as an extraction shooter, the gear and guns you find during runs are the most important part however, and can be customized a lot. There are gameplay buffs you earn from XP that apply to all characters in different changeable skill trees."
I think he use AI for the notes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Probably the same AI that power our EverydayBeast :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Griffon

On one hand I'd love for another GaaS to fail.
But on the other... this time the art direction seems half-way competent. If the heroes are cool and sleek hard-scifi designs, I don't see it failing so spectacularly...
Even tho I would prefer for them to reboot the project into a single player campaign.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The original premise sounded cool, but this sounds like Concord 2.

Destined to fail at this point.

Ultimately the reason Sony may have to bow out of the entire games industry won’t be because of what the competitors did, but simply the stupid decisions they made on their own.

Draugoth

Gold Member

I think he use AI for the notes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Probably the same AI that power our EverydayBeast :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Extraction Shooter with Heroes right?

Stopped reading around the time it mentions hero shooter and $40. There are already well established free to play games that are very likely similar. I can see this being the next Concord.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Problem with the game is, almost nobody knows Marathon and those who do will hate what they did to the 1994 game. But the bigger problem is the 40 Dollar price tag.
It’s a weird title to modernize no matter how good or bad it ends up being.

The game will be totally different than the 30 year old series which started on Mac. It had a sequel too which came to PC. I never heard of the series at all until it was announced Bungie was re-making it.

To me, it has zero legacy. So it’ll all be about the graphics and gameplay. Heck, a goofy shooter like redneck rampage would for sure have more name recognition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Further proof that Sony needs a massive hit gaas title or face extinction. Considering it will be on all platforms minus switch 2 gives it some hope.
Lucky for them H2 sold 12 million copies at $40. Less some steam cut and dev costs who knows what profit not made but for sure did. Maybe a couple hundred million profit. That should cover Sony for concord and at least one more mega bomb. Or concord and a handful of semi bombs. So Sony has room to play with off H2 profits.

U really can't charge 40 dollars for a hero shooter now.
Since overwatch , valorant and apex all are f2p.
This is literally dead on arrival
Even as f2p this has very slim chances of survival

So it wasn't a hero shooter at first? And they switched to it? Who is telling these ppl we want hero shooters?

Also how are there more monetization options for hero's? Wouldn't custom outfits and accessories for a custom character be more inticing?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

couldn't you kind of classify destiny a hero shooter, you had 3 classes each with their own abilities with cooldowns.

i agree this game is pretty much DoA at the moment

I wouldn’t count Bungie out. They seem to bounce back when under the brink. People must see something in Marathon making these decisions. I don’t know what an extraction shooter is in their minds so it’s hard to speculate how this will end up being. If it’s over a year out, no one knows how it will turn out not even Bungie. But one thing, Bungie has is over 10 years in GAAS data and they have always pivoted towards the desire of the fan base while learning a quite a bit in the process.

Roxkis_ii

Better a hero shooter then an extraction shooter. The art is already pretty good going by the last trailer. I'm cautiously optimistic with this change.

RavageX

Hero shooter?

Grim Reaper Halloween GIF
This is pretty much my thought. As soon as I saw the game description I lost interest. I don't care what it looks like or how good the gameplay could be, I am sick of these types of games. I don't get why they keep getting made when most of them fail.

Make a good story based game or something.

Top Bottom