• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Some great debut/return drives there! Good drive from Magnussen to get close to points, too. Not surprised STR dropped a little bit.

Anyone else surprised to see that the RB12 has the fastest lap? WTF.

Lach

Well done Rosberg. Dominated from the moment he took the lead.

Vettel almost brought the fight to mercs. Don't know if any other strategy might have worked better in the end. They hardly were able to hold the merc medium pace on softs....

Great start for Haas. Intersting to see what they can do when they start from further on the grid.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Don't look now but Button is in... 14th? Lol

Let's go Grosjean!

Third fastest car doing work. Gotta give it to Rosberg, he deserved this win. Now let's hope he can keep the momentum he had at the last season and give Hamilton a run for the win every time. Starts will make this season more interesting so the qualifying pace of Hamilton won't be as big a factor as it was in the past. Race intelligence will win the most races this year.

ramparter

Banned
Some great debut/return drives there! Good drive from Magnussen to get close to points, too. Not surprised STR dropped a little bit.

Redbull still have a great car and Ric is a true fighter.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Had they not botched the strategy or if we didn' thave that red flag result would be different IMO.

Who knows, maybe they had no other alternative. Maybe they would not have managed to finish on mediums.

Mohonky

Shit start from Hamilton, he blew his race in the first 5 seconds but coming second is still a good result after that.

Season is definitely not going to be a walk over for Hamilton or Merc.

Vettel gonna be there all year.

Torro Rosso blow up imminent. Verstappen got some growing up to do. A bit of Humility wouldn't go astray.

Haas coming in and scoring points. Don't think we're that surprised though.

So glad Alonso walked away from that crash. Would have shaken the shit out of him.

Horner and Mateschmitz having kittens over Kyvat DNS I'm sure. Ricciardo did well for 4th.

Aiii

So not worth it

The only reason TR dropped was because they too fucked up the strategy, and Verstappen had an issue with a missing tire as well, they should have finished fifth and sixth at least otherwise.

Pryce

I think people underestimated Haas just a little bit.

Haas in NASCAR has had some of the best cars for a good 3 or 4 years now. They've all had experience and success at a high level. Gene Haas is also no idiot when it comes to this stuff. While NASCAR is not F1, it's not like these people have never raced before. Add in a Ferrari engine and a year to build their operation, they had a good chance to score points somewhat easily.

Maybe not the first race, mind you.

RoKKeR

That's great for HAAS

I just hope they don't set the bar there for them and be realistic with their expectations

Of course, and they were obviously the beneficiary of the red flag, but their pace in the second stint was really impressive. Force India, Williams, Torro Rosso behind them and he kept more than a second between him and that FI almost the entire way... pretty impressive stuff.

Moozo

If the Medium performs like this at other circuits surely there's going to be no reason to use anything else other than what they qualify on

DrM

Redmond's Baby
. But for some reason Rosberg managed to do the same lap times on a medium tyre that Vettel did on a super soft. Which is insane. Shows how much faster the Mercedes can go if they have to (engine boost available for several laps per race).

This is probably the result of their preseason medium only testing.
I wonder what kind of problems did Lewis had (FW damage from the impact in 1st corner), because it was quite obvious that car was not on the level. Lauda said that something happened in second warm up lap for the ORF during the race.

yami4ct

Haas' F1 on a budget already seems to be paying off. Look at the teams they finished ahead of and I suspect at a fraction of the cost. I think the question is, how far can it take them?

Juicy Bob

Very entertaining race. Worth getting up for and an exciting start to the new season.

Feel sorry for Vettel. Drove brilliantly and was caught out by the red flag and the team making what turned out in hindsight to be the wrong strategy call.

Rosberg continues his winning streak, which I hope is a good omen for the rest of the season. Interesting that Hamilton had such problems getting past cars in the early stages.

Max Verstappen is young. He'll learn to keep his head cool more over time. Looking forward to a good scrap between the Toro Rosso team mates this year.

Congratulations to Haas on scoring points on debut for pulling off the risky 'no-stop' strategy. Got lucky with the red flag, but Grosjean showed he had the pace to deserve that sixth place throughout the entire second half of the race. Well done to all involved.

Very relieved to see everyone is fine after that horrible Turn 3 accident - drivers, marshals and fans. Had terrible flashbacks to 2001 for a few moments. I think it's really hard to place blame on either driver. It's just one of those slight mis-communications that results in major problems.

All in all, it's fantastic that we have so much to talk about after the opening race of the season and can leave that qualifying nonsense firmly in the past.

Mohonky

Would laugh if Webber just didn't interview Vettel

(noticed the booing of Hamilton earlier, still being booed, did I miss something?)

Aiii

So not worth it
Max Verstappen is young. He'll learn to keep his head cool more over time. Looking forward to a good scrap between the Toro Rosso team mates this year.

Heh, frustrated 18-year-old acts like a frustrated 18-year-old. I bet he storms off and puts on some Linkin Park for an hour before coming out. :D

Or whatever the angsty kids listen to these days.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Phenomenal result for Haas, but they got ultra lucky with that red flag just when they would go into the pits. We will see on the next races where they really are.

What happened to Kvyat?

Electrical issues

Second year in a row that he did not start. Last year his car died in warmup lap iirc

tomtom94

(noticed the booing of Hamilton earlier, still being booed, did I miss something?)

Hopefully just the old dominant driver gets booed thing. Not that I'm saying that's acceptable, just hopefully it's not anything more.

Race was more boring than it should have been. Ferrari have closed up on Mercedes but Red Bull and Williams both seem to have lost ground. Toro Rosso look surprisingly quick right now but the engine rules make it difficult for that to last. Mclaren struggling to even fight with Renault - oh dear.

And of course, congratulations to Haas!

Lach

btw. big kudos to the new three compound tire rules. That really mixed up the strategy. Can't wait to see how it works out on other tracks and when there isn't red flag/safety car periods.

McNum

Huh, I didn't expect much of this race, and while the top three are not surprising, how it all came together was.

Entertaining race allround. I'm in for another, was wondering if I should sit this season out, but... let's see one more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom