• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

On the TV overlay, the tires icons were shown both with a simple outline and completely filled with color. What was that supposed to represent?

The US audience has been itching for a "home team", both for enthusiasm purposes and viewership. Back in 2010 I was expecting Bernie to bail out USF1 because of the possible ratings increase and coming US races. And, you know, as a lazily and passively patriotic American, sure, why not? The World Cup is fun for us now despite knowing we'll eventually lose to Europeans. Now we just need to try to convince people that there's a second sport where finishing in the top 10 versus a bunch of Europeans is actually a very good result.

New tyre rules already proving to be both interesting and consequential.

Ferrari, despite it being a continuous problem for 5+ full seasons now, still botching strategies and pit stops. Race to the bottom versus Williams! I'm glad Grosjean never had to pit because that crew will have never done a live race stop before and I'm paranoid they'd have blown it.
I changed my mind about this. It wasn't a random incident. They were both stupid in different ways and could have prevented it fairly easily. Gutierrez lifted a tiny bit early and juked, busy with the steering wheel and not paying any attention whatsoever. Alonso is making the fair racing assumption that Gutierrez is attentive and holding his defensive line, whereas he apparently didn't even realize he was in a defensive situation. At the same time, Alonso should know better than to follow that that close. Seriously, man. Come on. Your car isn't even awful anymore. No need to be that dramatic.

Zeknurn

Highly entertaining race but it's going to be an outlier. Like Silverstone or Hungary last year.

The red flag and Ferrari themselves screwed over what could have been a 1-2 start to the season. Shame.

I'm a bit sad my "Sainz or Verstappen will become the new Maldonado" didn't make it into the OT because it's spot on. It was a pretty easy prediction since the stats last year showed both of them had more incidents than Maldonado himself and Verstappen has a bigger ego than the rest of the grid combined.

Incredible start to the season for Haas. I look forward to following them for the rest of the season.

Renault was mighty impressive considering they have the worst power unit on the grid. I had zero expectations from them but one should never understimate the Enstone team. Hopefully it's not just a fluke.

Not so much to say about the rest of the grid other than McLaren is still shit and Williams gonna Williams.

Disappointing outcome after the great start, but not really unexpected. I'll wait for the next three or four races, before I'm going to give up on this season.

However, I'm still not seeing Ferrari in the position to challenge Mercedes on a regular basis. Not to mention that they should also focus on getting both cars to the end. It's getting Alonso/Massa embarrassing.

Pretty much, ferrari engineer brotkasten on point as usual.

ramparter

Banned
I changed my mind about this. It wasn't a random incident. They were both stupid in different ways and could have prevented it fairly easily. Gutierrez lifted a tiny bit early and juked, busy with the steering wheel and not paying any attention whatsoever. Alonso is making the fair racing assumption that Gutierrez is attentive and holding his defensive line, whereas he apparently didn't even realize he was in a defensive situation. At the same time, Alonso should know better than to follow that that close. Seriously, man. Come on. Your car isn't even awful anymore. No need to be that dramatic.
Agree, very risky move from Alonso. Seems like he panicked a bit.

frontieruk

I thought he said "I was thinking someone was off in the wall".

He said

" damnit, yeah... Errrr it was actually a good race, but erm it was a bit frustrating to be 11th, I was just hoping,... Saw a yellow flag a few laps to go and thought yeah this is going to be someone off in the wall."

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Disappointing outcome after the great start, but not really unexpected. I'll wait for the next three or four races, before I'm going to give up on this season.

However, I'm still not seeing Ferrari in the position to challenge Mercedes on a regular basis. Not to mention that they should also focus on getting both cars to the end. It's getting Alonso/Massa embarrassing.

They will also need to up their medium compound pace, because Mercedes is having a huge advantage on that compound compared to anyone else if car works as it should.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
He said

" damnit, yeah... Errrr it was actually a good race, but erm it was a bit frustrating to be 11th, I was just hoping,... Saw a yellow flag a few laps to go and thought yeah this is going to be someone off in the wall."

That's what I heard.

chadskin

3,w=559,c=0.bild.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
So apparently Max was supposed to come in first, but Sainz undercut him and then ignored a team order to let Max pass.

I'm pretty pleased their rivalry explodes already, that's gonna be fun.

frontieruk

So apparently Max was supposed to come in first, but Sainz undercut him and then ignored a team order to let Max pass.

If that was the case why did they have Sainz's tires ready and not Max's?

Sounds like bullshit based on the team reacted.

But he gets what he deserves.

nekkid

Yes, it only stopped working when he landed on it with final barrel roll.

Cd-UUggVIAAEqoe.jpg:orig

Safety in F1 is incredible.

Not the live feed cam above his head, I mean the new ultra slow motion one they have pointing back at them to analyse head injuries.

Humidex

Scary crash for Fernando there...wonder if not having the gravel there would have helped slow the car down instead of flipping?

nekkid

Scary crash for Fernando there...wonder if not having the gravel there would have helped slow the car down instead of flipping?

It wasn't until it dug in that it flipped. It probably wouldn't have lost a huge amount of speed but it wouldn't have rolled.

Line_HTX

Yes, it only stopped working when he landed on it with final barrel roll.

Cd-UUggVIAAEqoe.jpg:orig

Safety in F1 is incredible.

I think it was Alonso that said that if it weren't for the safety standards, he would've been gone instantly.

Just thinking about it is just scary that a few inches is all it takes.

Mastah

It would be a replay of Sainz's accident and I don't think that's any better. The only problem with today's crash was that he landed close to barriers. Rolling dissipates a lot of energy, which otherwise with tarmac run-off would be released when he hits tyre belt/tecpro barrier head on with nothing stopping the car, because car has no brakes at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gMKi_5jCOw - for me it's much scarier than Alonso's shunt, which looked dangerous due to proximity of trees, walls and barriers.

thenexus6

Verstappen is such a hothead, its going to be his undoing eventually if he doesn't change things.

Would've like Seb to win but unfortunately didn't work out.

Very happy Alonso walked out safely of that one, wow.

Happy for P6 for Haas!

Lach

Voted for grosjean (between him an alonso). No one really stood out for me for excellent driving. Maybe that one overtake by Perez.

Mastah

RoGro for me. I know it's basically 2015 Ferrari, but still, he managed super long stint, kept faster cars behind and didn't crack under pressure.

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 47s48 seconds ago

H Marko: "I didn't hear that. You have to talk to Toro Rosso. All I can say is the car has more potential than 9th and 10th place..."

Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom