• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozo

btw. big kudos to the new three compound tire rules. That really mixed up the strategy. Can't wait to see how it works out on other tracks and when there isn't red flag/safety car periods.

It'll be like when the Pirelli tyres first came in. Everyone will be in chaos for the first few races then the best choices will become obvious and there'll be little variation.

Especially with 3 useful practice sessions.

dakun

btw. big kudos to the new three compound tire rules. That really mixed up the strategy. Can't wait to see how it works out on other tracks and when there isn't red flag/safety car periods.

yeah opening up the strategy opportunities is really positive.

It'll be like when the Pirelli tyres first came in. Everyone will be in chaos for the first few races then the best choices will become obvious and there'll be little variation.

Especially with 3 useful practice sessions.

yes but it will give drivers who had their race ruined or had some unexpected thing happen an opportunity at a different strategy. Like Hamilton before the Red Flag

yami4ct

Totally happened yo.

I have a suspicion that the fact Hamilton hasn't really had to race other cars for the past 2 seasons is going to give him real troubles as Ferrari starts breathing down his neck. He's definitely had trouble with the pressure of actually racing.

Nico gonna Nico. He'll either do really well on his own or be a complete mess.

DBT85

I have a suspicion that the fact Hamilton hasn't really had to race other cars for the past 2 seasons is going to give him real troubles as Ferrari starts breathing down his neck. He's definitely had trouble with the pressure of actually racing.

Smells like rubbish tbh.

Would've if a two time champion didn't crash his car and let the three time champion run to his pit stand to talk strategy.

okay.gif

Nice to see one race in to a new season Hamilton is being written off lol.

So one thing I noticed......... There was absolutely ZERO wheel to wheel racing.

People on different tyres and stints EVENTUALLY passed each other, but when it came down to attack and defend in cars on similar strategies and tyres....... it literally didn't happen.

Sure it isn't easy to overtake I Australia, but it was literally like Monaco levels of difficulty when it came to. Overtakes.

The biggest position changes happened in the pits. Nobody could overtake. Fast cars like the Ferrari and merchants couldn't. Slower cars like the TRs and others couldn't.

I dont know, just seemed way too difficult to overtake for my liking. Hope it doesn't stay like this all season.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Nico gonna Nico. He'll either do really well on his own or be a complete mess.

Did Hamilton actually overtake anyone in this race aside from Ricciardo? First he earned a place due to Raikkönen dropping out, then we had the safety car, afterwards he was stuck behind others until they all had to pit, then he overtook RIC. Pretty passive race. Oh, he did pass Massa at the beginning.

John_B

Pretty good opener we got. Verstappen came off poorly over the radio sounding very entitled. The fields looks much closer and the different tires were pretty interesting. I don't expect an exact repeat of last season, we will get more varied podiums this time around.

Caramello

I had Grosjean as driver with most positions gained as well as finishing 7th in the prediction league so I'm really happy with him today!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

It's more to do with the aero on that car than anything else.

yami4ct

Smells like rubbish tbh.

okay.gif

Nice to see one race in to a new season Hamilton is being written off lol.

I'm not writing him off at all. He'll likely be the winner this season if Nico doesn't get his shit together. I just think we're probably going see more slip ups from him this year then we have in the past couple if Ferrari keep the pressure up.

If you're in the UK I think Sky has something, and in the US you can get Playstation Vue.

Now TV. Is pretty damn expensive though if you want to watch all the races.

£6.99 for only 24 hours (no quali for you!), or £10.99 for the week.

It's more to do with the aero on that car than anything else.

If you know you're basically guaranteed to start from the front, you might as well configure the car for it. Had exactly the same with Red Bull in their glory days.

Disappointing outcome after the great start, but not really unexpected. I'll wait for the next three or four races, before I'm going to give up on this season.

However, I'm still not seeing Ferrari in the position to challenge Mercedes on a regular basis. Not to mention that they should also focus on getting both cars to the end. It's getting Alonso/Massa embarrassing.

hamchan

Webber predicted Vettel would do the start he did based on how he angled his car lining up on the grid to pierce the two Mercs. Quality man Webber.

Now TV. Is pretty damn expensive though if you want to watch all the races.

£6.99 for only 24 hours (no quali for you!), or £10.99 for the week.

If you know you're basically guaranteed to start from the front, you might as well configure the car for it. Had exactly the same with Red Bull in their glory days.

Red Bull had also the weakest engine in the field while Mercedes has a power unit adventage over anyone else.

Webber predicted Vettel would do the start he did based on how he angled his car on the grid to pierce the two Mercs. Quality man Webber.

Guy knows how to start. He has seen it often enough from other drivers in his career.

Adamastor

Overall it was a good start to the season. The race had a bit of everything. Hopefully we'll see some improvements from Ferrari as the years goes on, but it's gonna be another Mercedes year. The boys are back in town :)

ramparter

Banned
Btw regarding aggressive strategy what I generally noticed last years is that softer compounds may give a small boost but they fail so soon that drives tend to lose most of the advantage they gained even before they pit to swap.

The only aggressive thing that I've seen working out some times is if you aim to put a soft tire 10 laps before the end, no longer. And that's if the other drivers tires have started failing. Which doesnt seem to be the case very often now since the teams have adapted to that.

PS: Button just said it was wrong to start on soft and put super softs after the red flag.

Heck of a race after that turd qualifying. Super excited for Haas! Never would I have imagined that they would score points in their first ever GP, and 8 at that. Their pace looks surpisingly good too!

I'm really hopeful that Ferarri will be able to challenge Mercedes this year, but concerned that they might not have the pace on Mediums. Bring on Bahrain!

Great race until the red flag, not so much afterwards. I really don't think Mercedes outsmarted Ferrari as much as they lucked out very big on how it lined up after the accident. It's not like they predicted it and well luck does happen. My man Vettel tried hard for 2nd but he was driving soap. Oh well.

Great start for the season. Ferrari cars are looking great, they're always the same and shit but this year they look even more beautiful than usual.

frontieruk

Alonso is a classy guy, saying no one to blame for the crash, the important thing that neither of them were hurt in the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom